PDA

View Full Version : Steering Guibo/Coupler

nsk040
09-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Consensus on the forums seemed to be that this part starts going bad at ~75k or so. Mine was rock solid at 110k, as were my tie rods which was another recent install based on consensus. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind as others prioritize stuff to work on.

Some notes from install to help others:
-easiest to do when the car is cool as you'll be right under the engine
-once front end is in the air, leave the key on (but ignition off) so you can move around the steering column to get better access to the torx nuts while under the car
-as long as you don't move the steering wheel or tires while the part is off, alignment will be fine. the part only needs to be off for a few seconds if you have the other one ready to go.
-once torx sockets are off, you need to push the coupler up along the steering column towards the steering wheel - literally sliding it up the column like a ring that's on the column to create enough room to pop off the end that connects with the steering rack

Sockethead
09-21-2017, 08:32 AM
My steering coupler is still fine at 142k

slater
09-21-2017, 11:18 AM
just had the coupler off the black Touring the other day, same condition as the new one i had on the shelf, at 90K miles. cleaned up the original one and reinstalled.

(i'm chasing a front end vibration.)