PDA

View Full Version : Keeping it in the family..

papa_g
11-02-2017, 07:27 PM
Sup mafiosos, I am the new owner of a 2005 ZHP coupe. It actually belonged to 2 other members on the forum, so I'm glad to have something owned previously by fellow enthusiasts.
She's silbergrau with 87k miles on the clock. Originally a Florida car, made its way to San Francisco, where I bought it, and drove it up to Seattle. Needs a lot of work done, but so far I have done the following things:

-New FLCAs & Bushings (Lemmy)
-New Rear shocks (billy)
-New air filters
-New windshield washer pump
-new xenons
-New rear quarter window weather stripping (it was cracked and brittle)
-currently working on VCG, spark plugs, Dr. Vanos rebuild, oil filter housing gasket & trying to diagnose P0171/P0174 (lean code banks 1&2)
-Need to replace tensioners & pulleys, as apparently one of them is "splitting, causing uneven pressure", per PPI. I still need to remove the fan to check out the tensioners, and see which one they were referring to.
-Going to replace my PCV system as well, since I snapped the frikken valve cover breather tube when removing it. That thing is brittle af.
-I am getting the P0444 code as well, not really sure how to diagnose it, but people are saying there's a 90% chance it is a faulty fuel tank purge valve.
-I was gonna do a motor flush since I had to drain the oil anyway, but read so many cautions against it, saying it could potentially damage the engine. After opening the VC, things look pretty clean, so at the very most, I may just run a cheaper oil through the engine for 30 minutes then drain and replace with the good stuff (I am using Pentosin 5w-30. Any one have comments on that?)
-Then I will flush the other recommended fluids (i still have the ATE Super Blue, so that will give you an idea of when the last brake fluid change was.)
-Lastly, I will get the front and rear bumpers fixed, and I think she will be good to go!

Sorry for the novel. I hope you all can give me your input and tips on how I can most effectively go about doing all these repairs. Glad to be part of the family, and I can't wait to start using my new ZHP as a daily driver.

Here she is....back in 2011. No pics of it right now, but this will be it once I restore her fully (plus 5% tint and black grill :thumbsup)

George

danewilson77
11-02-2017, 07:40 PM
Welcome. Beautiful example. Bruce owned this ZHP.

Sent from my S8+

PdZHP
11-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Nice silbergrau!

BMWCurves
11-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Welcome fellow PacNWer! Are you planning to do the maintenance yourself?

san
11-03-2017, 02:13 AM
Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

704sw
11-03-2017, 04:31 AM
Welcome, George.

I know it’s not a new picture, but the way that red sky is hitting the Silbergrau paint is freaking gorgeous.

5%, huh? That’s cray cray.

fredo
11-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Welcome, sir. Good to hear the car continues to be in good hands.

3ZHPGUY
11-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUS_ZHP
11-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Welcome! Glad to hear that car is staying here.
P0171/0174 should be CCV system. I had those codes as well and recently was diagnosed with leak in CCV. Test was done by removing air box and connecting some system, where smoke was pushed under pressure into the system. Once CCV was pressurized, I've seen a smoke coming out from the bottom section of CCV.
I was told that vacuum leak is a good source for throwing those codes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
11-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Congrats and welcome.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous E46 fanatic

Dual
11-03-2017, 10:01 AM
Handsome coupe. Welcome!

Vas
11-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Welcome.

Who were the previous owners?

papa_g
11-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.

Welcome fellow PacNWer! Are you planning to do the maintenance yourself?

Yes sir! With so many DIYs and input from owners, the only thing I am losing in the process is time, which is spent learning about how the car works. It's a no brainer if you ask me. I have done everything myself so far, and continue to do so, minus the bumpers & vanos, which I will just remove and send to the doctor for rebuild. I think I will also have a shop do a flush on the fluids, since I don't have the proper equipment, and heard it can get messy.

Welcome, George.

I know it’s not a new picture, but the way that red sky is hitting the Silbergrau paint is freaking gorgeous.

Thanks, it really is... Bruce called this "the money shot". It's what convinced him to buy from the previous owners. I think 5% is cray cray sexy. I love it on my VW.

Welcome! Glad to hear that car is staying here.
P0171/0174 should be CCV system. I had those codes as well and recently was diagnosed with leak in CCV. Test was done by removing air box and connecting some system, where smoke was pushed under pressure into the system. Once CCV was pressurized, I've seen a smoke coming out from the bottom section of CCV.
I was told that vacuum leak is a good source for throwing those codes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah those codes are always caused by a vacuum leak I think. Hopefully it's simply the lower intake boot, or part of the system I foolishly broke in half while removing the valve cover. Or maybe it is even an air leak in the VCG, and I would just be killing 2 birds that way :).

Welcome.

Who were the previous owners?

The guy I bought it from is named Matt, I am not sure if he was very active on the forums within the last few years. He bought it from Bruce Sellers, who I think is still active on the forums. That guy takes the term 'enthusiast' to a new level. Spoke to him for an hour on the phone, good guy and very willing to help.

johnrando
11-05-2017, 08:17 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oli77
11-06-2017, 04:32 AM
Welcome to the Mafia.

ELCID86
11-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Thank you all for the kind words.

Yes sir! With so many DIYs and input from owners, the only thing I am losing in the process is time, which is spent learning about how the car works. It's a no brainer if you ask me. I have done everything myself so far, and continue to do so, minus the bumpers & vanos, which I will just remove and send to the doctor for rebuild. I think I will also have a shop do a flush on the fluids, since I don't have the proper equipment, and heard it can get messy.

Thanks, it really is... Bruce called this "the money shot". It's what convinced him to buy from the previous owners. I think 5% is cray cray sexy. I love it on my VW.

Yeah those codes are always caused by a vacuum leak I think. Hopefully it's simply the lower intake boot, or part of the system I foolishly broke in half while removing the valve cover. Or maybe it is even an air leak in the VCG, and I would just be killing 2 birds that way :).

The guy I bought it from is named Matt, I am not sure if he was very active on the forums within the last few years. He bought it from Bruce Sellers, who I think is still active on the forums. That guy takes the term 'enthusiast' to a new level. Spoke to him for an hour on the phone, good guy and very willing to help.

Bruce is a top notch guy. Haven’t seen him here in a bit but I’m sure he’ll re-surface soon.

BCS_ZHP
11-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I’ll resurface at some point. My daughter starts driving next year, it’ll most likely a BMW for her first ride. Brett’s 2006 ZHP is potentially available if I want it but mama is hinting another direction, F25. I’m currently researching pre & post-LCI, M-Sport pkg is a must IMO, I have 6 months to find the right one.
Bruce

danewilson77
11-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah, I’ll resurface at some point. My daughter starts driving next year, it’ll most likely a BMW for her first ride. Brett’s 2006 ZHP is potentially available if I want it but mama is hinting another direction, F25. I’m currently researching pre & post-LCI, M-Sport pkg is a must IMO, I have 6 months to find the right one.
BruceBruce!

:wavy

Sent from my S8+

johnrando
11-07-2017, 04:39 PM
+1!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vas
11-07-2017, 05:16 PM
Bruce!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cadeez
11-09-2017, 09:13 AM
Welcome, and great looking car! Whereabouts in Seattle do you live?

Side note: I bought my current ZHP in Oakland and drove it back up to Portland. Must be something in that bay area water :)

nextelbuddy
11-09-2017, 10:11 PM
Welcome, George.

agreed, reminds me of the CSL pictures from when it was released.

papa_g
11-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Welcome, and great looking car! Whereabouts in Seattle do you live?

Side note: I bought my current ZHP in Oakland and drove it back up to Portland. Must be something in that bay area water :)

haha yeah i was hoping to go across the golden gate bridge into oakland on the way home, but the gps took me some other way :(
I live in Bellevue, and actually bought a bought a VW down in Beaverton one time. Are you on PNW BMW?