PDA

View Full Version : Did any of you get the latest DME update ?

Washburn
04-06-2011, 03:56 PM
I have seen several posts (not here) about updating the DME software to the latest version from BMW....some people who got it done noticed improved performance and it got rid of some type of hesitation they had, that even VANOS overhaul didn't fix...

Has anyone done it? If yes, why did you do it? what did it help? how much did it cost?
if not, why not?

Is this something we should do, guys?
Just curious...
According to a post i saw on E46Fan., this is the latest DME version... : (Note the date)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/DME.png

danewilson77
04-06-2011, 04:01 PM
I got it when Jim uploaded the Shark...so I wouldn't have BMW only data.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

RITmusic2k
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for sharing that! I asked my dealer to check my DME version when I went in to get car/key memory settings customized, and they told me "you have the newest firmware; updates are rare", but I suspect they didn't actually check since I didn't specifically address a complaint. Gonna go to an indy or another dealer and try again soon. Armed with this version info, I might get a better response (or at least a more concrete proof that my version is in fact the newest).

Washburn
04-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Yep yep - I think we should all do this. At least verify that the latest is on it.

I have a dilemma though: and I am still looking for the answer on this:

my car (2005 ZHP) has a Dinan chip which the PO installed - IDK which one exactly. It also has a Dinan intake.
If i do the DME software update through the BMW dealer, would the settings affect/erase/replace the Dinan chip settings? How should I go about it, if I ever need to get the DME version upgraded WHILE keeping the Dinan software on my car?

Dotpage
04-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I did at my indy last month

Washburn
04-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks - can you take a look at my original (1st) post and answer the questions, pls?

Dotpage
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
well, it does make a difference, the car responds a little bit better in the 3.5-4.5K band.. That's what I noticed..

Washburn
04-06-2011, 04:38 PM
How much did it cost?

Dotpage
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM
@ my indy $30, but he didn't charge, did some other stuff at that time

ryankokesh
04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Is the update zhp-only?

Dotpage
04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
nope, I have a zsp

Washburn
04-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Not sure - I am in contact with my indie place- will see if they can tell me something about it....
Looking at that pic it says "E46"... so I am sure it is for all E46, BUT:
I am just wondering if the DME versions are DIFFERENT depending on ZHP and non ZHP...after all ZHPs do have "different" stuff...

az3579
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Not sure - I am in contact with my indie place- will see if they can tell me something about it....
I am just wondering if the DME versions are DIFFERENT depending on ZHP and non ZHP...after all ZHPs do have "different" stuff...

Most likely, something is different with it. The cam is different so as a result, something has to be changed in the programming to take advantage of that.

johnrando
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
K, my car is at the dealer now. I'll ask them when they call tomorrow with the update, and let you know what they say.

spencers
04-07-2011, 05:06 AM
I have the latest on my 325Ci and it feels like a new beast. Love it!
Screw paying $180 to the dealer. Did it myself for the cost of an obd2 cable (and manual battery charger)
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7940/winkfpdmeupdate.jpg

Yep yep - I think we should all do this. At least verify that the latest is on it.
I have a dilemma though: and I am still looking for the answer on this:
my car (2005 ZHP) has a Dinan chip which the PO installed - IDK which one exactly. It also has a Dinan intake.
If i do the DME software update through the BMW dealer, would the settings affect/erase/replace the Dinan chip settings? How should I go about it, if I ever need to get the DME version upgraded WHILE keeping the Dinan software on my car?
Don't quote me but I don't think our cars are "chipped," per-say. If anything, that dinan software is a DME flash. Any BMW DME upgrade will overwrite it, and probably won't be any better, performance-wise. To answer the last question, you'd have to ask Dinan themselves if they have a tuned update available.

They are indeed different. non-ZHP's typically have a MS43 DME, while ZHPs have the finicky MS45

Crickett
04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Oh sweet jebus . . . we can update our own DMEs w/a home-grown diag. PC (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1808-How-to-set-up-a-BMW-Diagnostic-Computer&highlight=diagnostic) . . . MUWAHAHAHAHAHA! :mafia

Washburn
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys - waiting for updates.

You're right - The Dinan is not really a chip - I used wrong terminology.

My indie place tells me that they can do it, but "might take a while" (huh?? why?), and recommended against it as it will introduce "Tuner Block" so that i can never reflash the software ???
What are they talking about? I thought it will just update the DME version but not restrict anything in the future... (Right on that screenshot that I posted it shows that the DME can be updated many more times....)

danewilson77
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
:dunno

Johnmadd
04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I have the service bulletin and service records from the po of my zhp shipping his to jersey, I will look at it tomorrow and report the date of it and version updated if its on my paperwork. Im pretty sure it recent though.

billschusteriv
04-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Thanks guys - waiting for updates.

You're right - The Dinan is not really a chip - I used wrong terminology.

My indie place tells me that they can do it, but "might take a while" (huh?? why?), and recommended against it as it will introduce "Tuner Block" so that i can never reflash the software ???
What are they talking about? I thought it will just update the DME version but not restrict anything in the future... (Right on that screenshot that I posted it shows that the DME can be updated many more times....)

Tuner block? Meh!

johnnye23
04-08-2011, 03:36 AM
I just had my wifes ecu updated last week on her 2004 ZHP at my buddies shop. Gas mileage has gone down as the car continues to tune itself .I expect it to increase but the really good news is that the O2 fail Check engine alert has not returned since the update . Cost of update was three six packs of good brew :shift

MrMaico
04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I had mine done about 1 year ago to cure the miss I had under acceleration in the higher gears. It started at 2800 and was smooth again by 3000 rpm. I had also gotten a code 2974 a couple of times according to my Peake reader. It never did throw a CEL for the code though. I tried doing the Vanos seals first but it didn't make any difference at all. Cost was $160 at an indy for the update but they did a few other things too. It seems like it ran a bit better overall also after updating but I'm not certain on that.

I thought I had started to notice the 4000 rpm power dip last fall but it seems to be all but gone so far this spring. If it's still there it's barely noticeable. If I start feeling it again, maybe once it gets hotter out, I will probably try the Shark.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120971&highlight=

Check my posts 45 and 49 in that thread for more info.

I wonder if that date (26.10.2010) in the screenshot in the OP isn't just the date that car was hooked up. I was told that the latest update came out in 08 but I was told that before the date in the OP.

Barry

M54Dave
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Hmm, thanks for bringing this up, I will have to run it by my indy next time I have to bring the car in.

johnrando
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I asked the dealer if my s/w was up to date. It seems this was a difficult question to answer. He finally got the tech to run a diag to see, but they don't know what to do with the answer, as he said "it's not obvious". The SA is going to talk to another tech tomorrow, and let me know. Still no idea how much they'd charge to update it if it is downlevel. I'll keep you posted.

spencers
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
If the info was simply read out, you can take the number and compare it to the ms45 DME part numbers in realOEM to see how old it is, and if there are any part numbers newer than yours. I think the DME versions are the last 5-7 digits of the part number. If there are any newer part numbers than the one your vehicle gave to you, then chances are there's a software update available.

johnrando
04-12-2011, 06:37 AM
Just so I'm clear, are you saying the latest DME software is from 2010 (from the engine readout picture in your OP), or was that the date this report was run?

I have seen several posts (not here) about updating the DME software to the latest version from BMW....some people who got it done noticed improved performance and it got rid of some type of hesitation they had, that even VANOS overhaul didn't fix...

Has anyone done it? If yes, why did you do it? what did it help? how much did it cost?
if not, why not?

Is this something we should do, guys?
Just curious...
According to a post i saw on E46Fan., this is the latest DME version... : (Note the date)

spencers
04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Just so I'm clear, are you saying the latest DME software is from 2010 (from the engine readout picture in your OP), or was that the date this report was run?

No, that is when the report was run. I don't think that's Wash's car. It's TerraPhantm's old ZHP.
But that version is indeed the latest, according to his post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5573633&postcount=63

kpro
04-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Is this something that we can do to my car at the meet in June? I have the hesitation, and my car hasn't been to the dealer for a DME update as long as I've owned it. I bought it in 09' and the PO didn't have it done either. I'm hoping it might correct my hesitation between 2700-3000 RPM

Washburn
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I sure hope we all would find some good info here - i don't get why it's so complicated/convoluted to determine if the dme version is current or not...i imagined it would be as simple as plugging the car into a diagnostic system and reading it...

kpro
04-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Im computer stupid, sorry.

Washburn
04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
seems i am too...or there's more to verifying this damn dme version that meets the eye,..

spencers
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I sure hope we all would find some good info here - i don't get why it's so complicated/convoluted to determine if the dme version is current or not...i imagined it would be as simple as plugging the car into a diagnostic system and reading it...

Well, that's the easiest way to do it. If it says the car is up-to-date, then it is up-to-date! I'm confused as to why you wont believe the screenshot???

Washburn
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
oh i would.

....IF IT WAS MY CAR !!!!!!

johnrando
04-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Picking my car up from the dealer today. They still can't tell me what version the s/w is (they don't know). Amazing. John

Dotpage
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
We need to have a "community" laptop running all diag software that we can ship around and maintain as a group.. I'll see if I can get an affordable lappy this weekend for that purpose..

Hornung418
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I would really like that! Because right now I'm taking up all 80gigs with some gigantic school programs. I need to do some cleaning!

I understand that it's online, but if there was a document that traveled with the laptop, that would make being away from wifi easier to get things going while remaining in the car :)

Dotpage
04-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I can print the manual to a PDF and organize by subject... :D

Hornung418
04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I think that would be an ideal choice if this plan comes to fruition.

Johnmadd
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
We need to have a "community" laptop running all diag software that we can ship around and maintain as a group.. I'll see if I can get an affordable lappy this weekend for that purpose..

I would chip in. Hmmmm, you gonna give dw a challenge in generosity? Very cool idea.

az3579
04-14-2011, 02:18 AM
I already have one set up for that very reason. It's pretty much all ready to go, and it's lightweight which reduces the shipping costs.
I'm just waiting on instructions on how to use NCS Expert before I could fully declare everything works 100% on it. Once I get something to work in NCS, then I could start loaning it out.

Crickett
04-14-2011, 05:03 AM
D'ya think we could master a live DVD with all of the diag. software on it?? I imagine a stripped Linux distro (Arch would be my choice) with Wine or VirtualBox could work . . . the only trick would be integrating the OBD cable drivers . . .

Shipping around a DVD & the cable would be much cheaper than a whole lappy.

spencers
04-14-2011, 05:15 AM
D'ya think we could master a live DVD with all of the diag. software on it?? I imagine a stripped Linux distro (Arch would be my choice) with Wine or VirtualBox could work . . . the only trick would be integrating the OBD cable drivers . . .

Shipping around a DVD & the cable would be much cheaper than a whole lappy.

If you find yourself technically astute enough, you might be able to do ediabas/INPA and dis/gt1 on a dual layer DVD. But sss/Progman is a 30gb install.

FTDI has Linux drivers available, but YMMV.

But in all honesty, I would NOT do this. Physical media is easily scratched. All it takes is a scratch to that DVD and corruption of the files could potentially hose your car.

Crickett
04-14-2011, 05:38 AM
If you find yourself technically astute enough, you might be able to do ediabas/INPA and dis/gt1 on a dual layer DVD. But sss/Progman is a 30gb install.
Ooof, I didn't realize just how much space these programs take up!

But in all honesty, I would NOT do this. Physical media is easily scratched. All it takes is a scratch to that DVD and corruption of the files could potentially hose your car.
Perhaps the solution to both problems is a ≥ 64 GB flash drive! Optical media . . . pssssh! What was I thinking! :facepalm

Dotpage
04-14-2011, 06:58 AM
lol, I still believe a 2-3 year old Panasonic ToughBook or an Thinkpad X31 would a cool solution, I can find a good one under $300 and upgrade RAM/HD for cheap

Crickett
04-14-2011, 07:12 AM
lol, I still believe a 2-3 year old Panasonic ToughBook or an Thinkpad X31 would a cool solution, I can find a good one under $300 and upgrade RAM/HD for cheap
Perhaps a Family-funded SSD to reduce possible shipping damage? :drevil

kpro
04-14-2011, 07:20 AM
I would be willing to pitch in $, thats not an issue. I don't expect it for ftee. I just don't feel comfortable loading the software to my car. Thats why I asked if it could be done at the meet in June.

spencers
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM
If you plan on updating any DME with that computer you plan on lending out, you also need a MANUAL battery charger or power supply.
The finicky ms45 DME is very susceptible to voltage fluctuations.

And I don't think you will want to ship a heavy battery charger around. ;)

johnrando
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM
I exchanged voicemail with a separate dealership on the DMW s/w upgrade. He VM response back was along the lines of, "you mean the recall DME update? Sure, we can do that anytime, just call me". This, vs. my local dealer, who took a week and still couldn't even tell me what s/w I had, and wanted to charge an arm and a leg for the update (if needed). He did however, say that he could do it very cheap while I was in for other work, so I'll at least give him that. But, I'm definitely going to the other dealer. As always, I'll keep you posted. John

RITmusic2k
04-14-2011, 11:19 AM
John, care to pass me the contact info for the other dealer? I didn't have any luck down at my home dealership either. And I really wanna get rid of this; my hesitation is right in the most-often used portion of my rev range.

johnrando
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
John, care to pass me the contact info for the other dealer? I didn't have any luck down at my home dealership either. And I really wanna get rid of this; my hesitation is right in the most-often used portion of my rev range.

Of course. Center BMW, in Sherman Oaks. Jeff Ives or Imes (or something like that). Direct line 818-528-1309. I hope they get paid for recall work as I may have just started a stampede to his shop. lol. I left him a VM with my VIN to see if he can verify if it's been done or not, but I doubt it has. I'll let you know the next steps, but I'm hoping to go in Monday. John

Dotpage
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Doing it at the meeting is a nice idea, I just don't know if we will have time to setup/troubleshoot a whole installation.

Washburn
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I am also willing to chip in if needed. just fyi.

johnrando
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Also willing to chip in. John

Dotpage
04-14-2011, 03:03 PM
I'll find a machine and post here.

johnrando
04-15-2011, 08:17 AM
OK, spoke to Center BMW. He said for my particular VIN, there was no recall active. I asked him if I can check if my DME needs updating. He said they'd update it for $120, but advised against it, saying they typically only update DMEs if there is an issue, and that's it's not like the M where that might make more sense.

So now I'm fairly stumped, as I'm not really sure about the upgrade. The good news is my car is running better now that it's back from the dealer so the whole issue might be moot... I love modding and upgrading but I'm thinking it if ain't broke, don't fix it. On to the AA tune (and pulleys, etc).

MrMaico
04-15-2011, 11:28 AM
OK, spoke to Center BMW. He said for my particular VIN, there was no recall active. I asked him if I can check if my DME needs updating. He said they'd update it for $120, but advised against it, saying they typically only update DMEs if there is an issue, and that's it's not like the M where that might make more sense.

So now I'm fairly stumped, as I'm not really sure about the upgrade. The good news is my car is running better now that it's back from the dealer so the whole issue might be moot... I love modding and upgrading but I'm thinking it if ain't broke, don't fix it. On to the AA tune (and pulleys, etc).

I'd say if you're not noticing any miss while accelerating in higher gears right at 2800 rpm and quits by 3000 rpm or getting random O2 sensor codes (not necessarily throwing a CEL) I wouldn't bother doing an update.

Barry

johnrando
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd say if you're not noticing any miss while accelerating in higher gears right at 2800 rpm and quits by 3000 rpm or getting random O2 sensor codes (not necessarily throwing a CEL) I wouldn't bother doing an update.

Barry

I was but it was a weird battery issue that they fixed... long story not worth telling. Thank for affirming my thought process, good to have a second opinion. John

Washburn
04-17-2011, 08:06 AM
From all the feedback in this thread, it seems like this is one of those issues where the knowledge of dealerships about it varies greatly, and therefore they have different opinions...not the 1st time a delaership has no clue about something like this. my indep. BMW place offered me to check if i needed the DME upgrade, but at that time i didn't want to go into all the details about my dinan software etc etc, so i declined then. At least it looks like they should be able to do it if it's ever needed.

What i have to decide for myself is that should i keep the dinan software if i can just get rid of the dinan air box with its oiled filter? ideal for me would be to just keep the dinan stuff while using a OEM paper filter...otherwise if i suspect any MAF fouling due to oil from filter, i;d rather take all Dinan stuff off, get the DME update and be happy that my MAF is safe... I will speak to them in detail when i get my next oil change or getting the tint done.

Right now, what we need is a competent service advisor from some BMW dealer who can clarify everything...this shouldn't be such a mystery:
Simple points to ask:

Does my car have the latest DME version?
If not, what does the latest DME improve?
Does my car need it?
if yes, can you do it?

rikdee
04-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Barry

I'm just going to step in here on a "seat of the pants response. " When I purchased my car (3/09) I was pretty flipped about the "hesitation issue." Following extensive research during the past two years, I have put myself at ease. Given an 11/04 built date, I assume all factory corrections are in my DME. My car has the lastest DISA part number as per S I B 12 17 05. I don't really notice any hesitation at the noted RPM range; even if I did, how much would it really matter?
Barry's words ring with me; if it ain't broke..

Rick

danewilson77
04-17-2011, 06:15 PM
The latest update came out in 2008?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

MrMaico
04-18-2011, 03:26 AM
I'm just going to step in here on a "seat of the pants response. " When I purchased my car (3/09) I was pretty flipped about the "hesitation issue." Following extensive research during the past two years, I have put myself at ease. Given an 11/04 built date, I assume all factory corrections are in my DME. My car has the lastest DISA part number as per S I B 12 17 05. I don't really notice any hesitation at the noted RPM range; even if I did, how much would it really matter?
Barry's words ring with me; if it ain't broke..

Rick

The biggest issue for me was that the hesitation in 6th gear was right at 75 to 80 mph, freeway speeds. It was easier to avoid in 3rd, 4th and 5th by just downshifting to avoid 2800 rpm or if I accelerated slower through that rpm range it didn't happen.

The latest update came out in 2008?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

That's what Seth from JBEurotech told me.

Barry

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 03:31 AM
That is also what Jim Conforti told me. I think that part is confirmed.

rikdee
04-18-2011, 05:30 AM
That is also what Jim Conforti told me. I think that part is confirmed.

Is there an S.I.B. or any other formal BMW document supporting this contention?

MrMaico
04-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Is there an S.I.B. or any other formal BMW document supporting this contention?

Not that I've ever seen or heard of. If I had to guess I'd think it's because BMW wants to avoid people coming in and requesting updating to the latest software when they don't necessarily need it. Just a guess though.

Washburn
04-18-2011, 07:48 AM
when my indep. place told me about updating DME they also mentioned that one of the reasons they do it is to avoid cars getting some bogus 02 sensor error code....

MrMaico
04-18-2011, 02:06 PM

Barry

when my indep. place told me about updating DME they also mentioned that one of the reasons they do it is to avoid cars getting some bogus 02 sensor error code....

More info....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445105&highlight=

Washburn
04-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Mr Maico

rikdee
04-18-2011, 05:09 PM
More info....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445105&highlight=

nice find Herr Maico. I recently bought an '03 325i for my young daughter. DME was reading up DTCs for O2 sensors. Replaced the sensor last week; CEL came back on. I will now turn my attention to the re-prog. CELs - scourge of the universe...

johnnye23
05-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Just an update we have not got the o2 fail since we had the update installed. Car has ran better than ever so the update was a positive in my case. I also had the transmission computer updated also and have not recvd another trans fault alert (recvd previously one time ).

danewilson77
05-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Just an update we have not got the o2 fail since we had the update installed. Car has ran better than ever so the update was a positive in my case. I also had the transmission computer updated also and have not recvd another trans fault alert (recvd previously one time ).

This was the case for me as well.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

VA//M3
05-14-2011, 09:31 PM
If I'm able to make it to the meet on june 12th I'll bring my laptop and we can update people's DME's. I have a 10amp charger, 20amps is recommended but I have had no issues. I've updated my car without any type of charger, updated other people's cars using a honda civic and jumper cables with no issues. However they have all been MS43 cars. I would definitely bypass and jump the DME relay Jim Conforti mentioned on your thread Dane before attempting it on MS45's.

spencers
05-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah, I've updated MS42 and MS43 cars (including my own), but extremely hesitant to do an MS45 car after dane's horror story!

ZHP-FTW
05-15-2011, 07:30 AM

Barry

Just a quick 2 cents here.... I had this exact issue when I first bought my car. From 2800-3300 rpms in 5th and 6th gear especially, I noticed a hesitation and power lag.
After I did the Vanos seals it probably fixed about 60-70% of it and after my AA tune it was gone completely. So maybe you guys can look into those options as a fix? Just an idea.

danewilson77
05-15-2011, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I've updated MS42 and MS43 cars (including my own), but extremely hesitant to do an MS45 car after dane's horror story!

I just didn't have the right charger. It was a horror story, Spence...you are correct. Got an autographed dme out of it though..hehe

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

ZHP-FTW
05-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I just didn't have the right charger. It was a horror story, Spence...you are correct. Got an autographed dme out of it though..hehe

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

An autographed DME by JC = WIN!!

Dotpage
05-15-2011, 07:21 PM
The darn little Toshiba Portege I bought to become the Mafia Terminal is so freaking fast with the SSD drive that I am using for daily stuff, I need to break away from it and purpose it back to BMW software only..