PDA

View Full Version : Use of factory GPS antenna with Android head units?

SaltyNC
12-26-2017, 12:46 PM
I have a 2005 Facelift 330Ci coupe with factory nav. I purchased an Android head unit and a wiring harness that runs to the trunk/boot. It comes with a GPS antenna, but if it is possible to use the factory GPS antenna, I'd rather do that. Has anyone successfully used the built-in antenna? If so, does it require any adapters?

Thanks!

Salty

ZHPizza
12-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure if that would work, but the GPS antenna that comes with the android headunit really requires no effort to install. It's magnetic so I just stuck it to the steel tube in the dash behind the headunit and it has no issues getting a signal.

nextelbuddy
12-27-2017, 07:45 AM
I have a 2005 Facelift 330Ci coupe with factory nav. I purchased an Android head unit and a wiring harness that runs to the trunk/boot. It comes with a GPS antenna, but if it is possible to use the factory GPS antenna, I'd rather do that. Has anyone successfully used the built-in antenna? If so, does it require any adapters?

Thanks!

Salty

you can remove the factory sharkfin.. once its removed then there are screws under neath that allow you access to the inside of that sharkfin.

you could taking apart the aftermarket GPS antenna case and then transplanting the guts of that into the sharkfin. it should fit. I had plans to do that when i get around to it.

SaltyNC
12-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Thanks, guys. I don't have a sharkfin, and it's good to know the GPS antenna can be placed under the dash without signal loss issues. I just didn't want a wart on the dash.

Salty

sillieidiot
12-30-2017, 12:37 PM
you can remove the factory sharkfin.. once its removed then there are screws under neath that allow you access to the inside of that sharkfin.

you could taking apart the aftermarket GPS antenna case and then transplanting the guts of that into the sharkfin. it should fit. I had plans to do that when i get around to it.

The shark fin doesn't house the GPS. It's for telephony and the BMW Assist functions. The GPS factory location is located near the rear windshield on top of the rear deck where those plastic vent looking things are.

nextelbuddy
12-30-2017, 01:15 PM
The shark fin doesn't house the GPS. It's for telephony and the BMW Assist functions. The GPS factory location is located near the rear windshield on top of the rear deck where those plastic vent looking things are.

I never said the shark fin was used for factory GPS.

I have the shark fin on my car and I know that I've taken it apart a few times and know there's enough space in there to fit an after-market antenna inside. That's all I was saying.