PDA

View Full Version : Trying to reach Tony Lam

Dual
01-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Tony Lam, if you're still here would very much appreciate a PM. Similarly, if anyone here knows how to reach him...
(USB B connector snapped on PASoft: trying to buy a replacement dongle)

Yelkos
01-09-2018, 04:38 AM
Tony Lam, if you're still here would very much appreciate a PM. Similarly, if anyone here knows how to reach him...
(USB B connector snapped on PASoft: trying to buy a replacement dongle)

He is around, I bought a scanner from him about 2 months ago.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?14456-FS-PASOFT-BMW-SCANNER-1-4

Overboost
01-09-2018, 12:32 PM
They are all over fleaBay starting at $9.

Dual
01-09-2018, 12:42 PM
Oh, so the dongles are interchangeable? I thought likely there was firmware in there specific to the software Tony sent.

Overboost
01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Oh, so the dongles are interchangeable? I thought likely there was firmware in there specific to the software Tony sent.

The dongle and software is standard and it is BMW Scanner 1.4 or PA Soft 1.4, same thing. The latest software for BMW Scanner is 1.4.0.9 but has no real changes from 1.4.0.7. You already have the software so just get a new dongle and you should be good to go. I would check that pins 7 and 8 are bridged, I have heard some of the fleaBay dongles are not bridged. Mine did come bridged but it takes all of 2 seconds to check with a multimeter and 2 minutes to solder a bridge in place if need be.

az3579
01-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Yeah, my USB connector is loose as well.
Want me to repair it for you? I might as well do both of ours at the same time.

Dual
01-10-2018, 03:22 AM
Thanks! however, in my case the center post of the B connector has snapped off at the base- this is the second time this has happened. You will notice that the B connector is usually reserved for stationary applications like the back of a printer, and not suited for what it's doing in our cars..

When I get a new dongle in here I'm going to use a lump of Sugru to hold the cable and dongle together.

ELCID86
01-10-2018, 05:44 AM
He’s definitely on FB. PM him?

Dual
01-10-2018, 06:02 AM
PM'd him here, and emailed. I am not on FB

az3579
01-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Thanks! however, in my case the center post of the B connector has snapped off at the base- this is the second time this has happened. You will notice that the B connector is usually reserved for stationary applications like the back of a printer, and not suited for what it's doing in our cars..

When I get a new dongle in here I'm going to use a lump of Sugru to hold the cable and dongle together.

Yeah, still sounds like a simple fix. Heat up the solder at the bottom of the PCB, remove the connector, solder a new one on.
This is why I asked him to send me a defective module so I could eventually replace the USB Type B connector on mine (cable slides out of it very easily). But if you don't mind spending the extra money then I guess a replacement is an even easier fix.

Dual
01-10-2018, 10:46 AM
No, that's good to know. I really appreciate it.

Dual
01-15-2018, 10:26 AM
A followup- somehow I screwed up replacement of the USB connector, because the computer won't recognize the dongle as a working USB device.

Meanwhile Tony did reply, and I have a new part coming to me from him. Didn't want anyone to think he was out of business- just out of town.

Yelkos
01-15-2018, 10:41 AM
A followup- somehow I screwed up replacement of the USB connector, because the computer won't recognize the dongle as a working USB device.

Meanwhile Tony did reply, and I have a new part coming to me from him. Didn't want anyone to think he was out of business- just out of town.

Mine will only recognize when its plugged into the OBD port, if its not plugged in, it wont recognize it as a working device.

Tnhl1989
02-14-2019, 11:15 AM
I didn't realized there was a whole thread for me. I been really out of the scene however just dm or email will always work. Stop breaking them already.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
02-14-2019, 12:42 PM
@Tnhl1989 update your sig Tony, I know you got them adjusting bolsters mang :)