PDA

View Full Version : Do I need camber plates, w/H&R Sport Cup Kit '05 ZHP

lgf540
02-15-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm replacing a torn strut mount (the rubber not the tower) on my '05 ZHP, equipped with the H&R Sport cup kit. While researching reinforcement plates (will be adding those) I ran across advice that camber plates are needed with these H&R kits. The current setup does not have that, guessing the slots in the strut tower mounting holes could be enough. It does handle well, but in addition to the torn strut mount both rear control arms bushings were completely torn, leaving the suspicion too much stress is being put on all the bushings, maybe, due to the strut not being positioned properly. (I'm second owner, not sure about struts but bushings have ~100K miles)

I don't really know so wanted to put the question out there if camber plates are really needed or not.

Thanks

p.s. while at it I'm also replacing rear shock mounts and adding reinforcement plates for those as well.

Vas
02-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Not needed.

Sockethead
02-15-2018, 01:22 PM
I would consider getting something like Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts. The OEM ones are poorly designed.

Newjack
02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
I would consider getting something like Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts. The OEM ones are poorly designed.

Good suggestion Rob. I went this route myself, Rogue Engineering make excellent products.

I have camber plates on my car with an H&R touring cup kit. As Vas said, you don't need them, but if you want to drop some camber you wont be able to without camber plates.

Sockethead
02-15-2018, 04:27 PM
Also, the Rogue rear shock mount include the reinforcement plates

lgf540
02-15-2018, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback, good to know plates are not a necessity. Those do look like nicely engineered RSM's, will have to get those.

slater
02-16-2018, 05:13 AM
the rogue units are nice - i have had them for a few years. the ground control units look equally as nice, if not better (they make some great products).

704sw
02-20-2018, 03:49 AM
If you’re able to achieve your desired alignment then you don’t need them. How much camber is added by lowering the car will vary. In my case I was not able to achieve enough camber, so I added front camber plates and rear adjustable arms. YMMV.

johnrando
02-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I had no issues w my H&R Cup Kit and alignment, did not need plates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sockethead
02-20-2018, 12:55 PM
When I first put my H&R sport springs in, I didn't need either but now 6 years later, I need them to get my alignment back where it should be. The 70lbs added to the front end from the supercharger doesn't help