PDA

View Full Version : URGENT CODING HELP! Car wont start anymore.

anandoc
02-18-2018, 01:27 PM
Hey guys,

I was doing some simple coding on my car using NCS expert (changing the SM module keyword AUT_SITZVERSTELLUNG = nach_fb_entriegeln). Everything was going fine when I suddenly heard faint popping sounds and the radio cut off for a few seconds.

And now my car wont start. I turn the key and I hear a few clicking sounds and the headlamps flash but the starter motor does not engage.

Did I mess something up while coding? Can I use NCS Expert to go back to factory defaults? Please help!

derbo
02-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Hey guys,

I was doing some simple coding on my car using NCS expert (changing the SM module keyword AUT_SITZVERSTELLUNG = nach_fb_entriegeln). Everything was going fine when I suddenly heard faint popping sounds and the radio cut off for a few seconds.

And now my car wont start. I turn the key and I hear a few clicking sounds and the headlamps flash but the starter motor does not engage.

Did I mess something up while coding? Can I use NCS Expert to go back to factory defaults? Please help!

You should be able to read the module then write it with a blank .MAN file and reset it all to default values. Good luck. The symptoms you suggest sound like a low battery voltage though.

anandoc
02-18-2018, 01:52 PM
Update:

- Checked the voltage and it shows around 11.85V

- Here is a video of what happens when I try to start the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDOLOWiF8E

az3579
02-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Do what Derek said. Or, open NCS Expert in Expert Mode, read the module you messed up in, and do a SG CODIEREN on that module. It'll write factory defaults that way.

I usually do coding with the motor/alternator running, so in this case, charge the battery up some more with a charger.

Do a battery test with a tester - just because voltage is showing good doesn't mean it is good. Try unplugging it for 15 mins and reconnecting to see if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

anandoc
02-18-2018, 09:12 PM
Thanks BP and Derek for chiming in.

A friend dropped by and I was able to jump start the car, proving that the battery had indeed gotten discharged to very low levels.

This was one of the scariest moments for me and I am glad that the worst case scenario did not occur. No more NCS Expert coding for me until I have access to a proper power source. Phew!

az3579
02-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Thanks BP and Derek for chiming in.

A friend dropped by and I was able to jump start the car, proving that the battery had indeed gotten discharged to very low levels.

This was one of the scariest moments for me and I am glad that the worst case scenario did not occur. No more NCS Expert coding for me until I have access to a proper power source. Phew!I always code with the engine running for this very reason. [emoji106]

slater
02-19-2018, 12:17 PM
I always code with the engine running for this very reason. [emoji106]

Yeah, but you can’t reflash the DME this way. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derbo
02-19-2018, 12:35 PM
I always code with the engine running for this very reason. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For simple things like NCSexpert, ISTA+, Engine running is okay. I noticed the new F87 when i clear fault memory, it actually shuts the car off and sets ACC2 on its own now. No more waiting of the tech to do that now.

I'm in the market to buy a PSU with a 80A 14V setting since the new F cars require 80A up from the 70A from the E cars.

az3579
02-19-2018, 12:43 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYeah but he wasn't flashing his DME. lol

ZHPizza
02-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Oh man sorry I didn't see this yesterday! I could have instantly told you that it was a drained battery as I did the same thing while sitting in the garage playing with my headunit. That speaker pop makes you think you fried the ECU!

Lesson learned - turn the radio off while coding and do it with the engine running if you're going to take more than 5 minutes.

anandoc
02-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Oh man sorry I didn't see this yesterday! I could have instantly told you that it was a drained battery as I did the same thing while sitting in the garage playing with my headunit. That speaker pop makes you think you fried the ECU!

Lesson learned - turn the radio off while coding and do it with the engine running if you're going to take more than 5 minutes.

No worries man. From now onwards I am going to have you on the phone during any coding session for moral support :)

Yup, the radio pop made me shit my pants. I was pretty sure that I had fried one module or another. Also when I would try to start the car, the xenons would flash for whatever reason even though my lights were at the 'off' position. This made my double shit my pants.

All good now - car is back to running as usual. I am going to have the motor running in the future for any coding sessions. Thanks a lot guys for chiming in - its good to know that I have all you guys in case of car troubles :)