PDA

View Full Version : H&R Cup kit?

09mageec
04-10-2011, 07:54 PM
I am looking into an H&R cup kit, and am wondering if anyone has any pics of their ZHP (Preferably a sedan) witthe kit installed? And also where to get the right kit for the right price!??:dunno

az3579
04-11-2011, 01:41 AM
My car has the H&R Cup Kit. Here's the front (pretty much no wheel gap):

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/2010-11-12_07-01-55_424.jpg

The rear is just a tad lower; the rear wheel very slightly tucks into the wheel well. IMO the stance is perfect.

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 07:58 AM
^^ regarding your rears--which upper spring pads do you have on your car? 5mm or 15mm? Does the car have a rake?

az3579
04-11-2011, 09:02 AM
^^ regarding your rears--which upper spring pads do you have on your car? 5mm or 15mm? Does the car have a rake?

Hell if I know. Was like this when I bought it. And, what's rake (other than a gardening tool)?

Sent from my DROIDX

Cadeez
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Rake: As seen on old muscle cars of the 80's, where the rear end is jacked up and the front is slammed. Derived from said garden tool, when laid tong side down the rake is angled towards the ground, tong end is higher or off the ground where the handle is touching or sitting on the ground. However in our case, it would be a more civilized rake, where the front end appears (or is) slightly lower in the front. Like you were under hard braking.

Our cars have a natural raked stance from the factory, whether the front is actually lower than the rear I'm not positive, but just look at it from the side...just looks like it's haulin ass. But when you put coilovers on it increases that rake, most lower the car 3/4"-2" in front and 1/2"-1.5 in the rear.

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
From my understanding having a raked suspension hinders handling or contributes to under-steer and is mainly there for crash safety. The US porsche 924 came with a rake from factory to pass US spec crash safety standards where as the European versions did not have a rake.

When I install my sport cup kit I am thinking about removing the lower spring pad and seeing if the rake is taken out. I'll also look into Ground Controls spring pads and seeing how thick they are compared to stock.

az3579
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
I do not have that kind of rake. In fact, I've never seen a BMW with that kind of rake; all BMWs I've seen have a lower rear end than front.
In my car, the rear is a tad lower than the front, which is how I've seen it on countless other cars.

Hopefully that answers your question. Will try to get you a pic later tonight.

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I do not have that kind of rake. In fact, I've never seen a BMW with that kind of rake; all BMWs I've seen have a lower rear end than front.
In my car, the rear is a tad lower than the front, which is how I've seen it on countless other cars.

Hopefully that answers your question. Will try to get you a pic later tonight.

I respectfully disagree almost all e46's had a rake on them from factory. The only one that didn't is the Xi.

Cadeez
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I think that's a bit of an optical illusion due to the wheel well in front being higher than in the rear and the gap between well and tire being larger in front, makes the front look higher. However the overall rake may be an illusion as well, due to the gradual forward/downward slope of the car's body lines. My car is stock height with OEM suspension, in my sig pic looks like my car's ass is up in the air and nose down. Or is that just me?

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM
I think that's a bit of an optical illusion due to the wheel well in front being higher than in the rear and the gap between well and tire being larger in front, makes the front look higher. However the overall rake may be an illusion as well, due to the gradual forward/downward slope of the car's body lines. My car is stock height with OEM suspension, in my sig pic looks like my car's ass is up in the air and nose down. Or is that just me?

It looks like that to me as well.

az3579
04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
My car is stock height with OEM suspension, in my sig pic looks like my car's ass is up in the air and nose down. Or is that just me?

It sure does.

I personally like that particular stance with whatever rake may or may not be there. It makes it look more badass.
I don't think there's anything that I in particular can do about it, and my car handles just fine with a little fine tuning from my right foot, so I'm not concerned about it.

All I care about is that whatever understeer I encounter on the auto-x course is caused mostly by me. Otherwise, I have a couple of people tell me the car handles very, very well in it's almost stock form.

VA//M3
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
It sure does.

I personally like that particular stance with whatever rake may or may not be there. It makes it look more badass.
I don't think there's anything that I in particular can do about it, and my car handles just fine with a little fine tuning from my right foot, so I'm not concerned about it.

All I care about is that whatever understeer I encounter on the auto-x course is caused mostly by me. Otherwise, I have a couple of people tell me the car handles very, very well in it's almost stock form.

There is something you can do about it--You can remove one or both of the spring pads.

My 924 with it's modified suspension outhandles my 330 hands down.

3200 pounds vs 2300 ftw!

az3579
04-12-2011, 01:36 AM
There is something you can do about it--You can remove one or both of the spring pads.

My 924 with it's modified suspension outhandles my 330 hands down.

3200 pounds vs 2300 ftw!

Dunno if that's allowed in STX (haven't checked) but I'm probably not going to bother.
Handles fine to me... :dunno

Vas
09-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Bumping this old thread. Any more pics of a cup kit on a sedan? Seems like a hood upgrade.

Whammy
09-21-2014, 08:23 AM
I built my cup kit. H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks. It was between these shocks and Koni yellows. I do wonder how the Koni yellows would have turned out.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/duraznostj/E46/IMG_20140421_154717_zps4bdbd384.jpg

TWong1200
09-21-2014, 10:52 AM
I built my cup kit. H&R Sport Springs with Bilstein Sport Shocks. It was between these shocks and Koni yellows. I do wonder how the Koni yellows would have turned out.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/duraznostj/E46/IMG_20140421_154717_zps4bdbd384.jpg
How does it ride?

Whammy
09-22-2014, 08:03 PM
How does it ride?

For how I drive, I think it is fine. At first it was a little bumpy/hoppy as the springs and shocks were new (which is why I wonder about the Koni Yellows). I've put about 20,000mi since install and it has settled a little bit more. It is definitely better that a worn out OE suspension and it is not a stiff or low as the PSS system (which what my 325i had). Each person has their own tastes.

For the cost, I got everything I needed (including reinforcement kits) vs what BMW wanted for OE springs and shocks alone. So, I think it worked out. The only bad thing that happened post install is I took the car to a alignment shop with a dumbass mechanic. He stated I needed adjustable rear camber arms. Post that, I spoke to a competent BMW mechanic. He stated the original mechanic should have took more time.