PDA

View Full Version : Plasti-Dip Sedan Trim?

Crickett
04-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Sedan pilots: have any of you Plasti-Dipped your exterior trim? Or re-sprayed them in any way?

I'm seriously considering picking up a can of black Plasti-Dip spray to blackout my upper & lower grilles (the lower one is damn near gray!) & realized my trim could also use a freshening. My concern is that I'm not certain if the trim was ever actually black, but rather just a deep gray.

Does anyone have pictures of (flat) black exterior trim?

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Marcus rattle canned his lower grill, and it came out really nice. I don't think you wanna plasti-dip it though....

ryankokesh
04-11-2011, 05:47 AM
why not? I agree rattle-canning it would be just as good though...

well, I guess depending on how often you do it it could get pretty thick with plasti-dip, and it would be annoying to try and peel it off the mesh.

Crickett
04-11-2011, 06:15 AM
I think I still have a regular rattle-can of flat black somewhere . . . I just figured since I'll be Plasti-Dipping the nose grille (after reading you rave about it at Bimmerforums, Ryan!) I might as well do all of the black trim pieces at the same time.

Do you think it wouldn't be a good idea because P-D adds too much thickness? Or is there another concern?

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't think PD holds up against debris as well as spray paint.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

bullfrogs_M3
04-11-2011, 06:46 AM
I was actually going to pull mine off and have my paint shop spray them along with some "other parts" :shifty I am getting done in the next couple of weeks.

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 07:09 AM
I was actually going to pull mine off and have my paint shop spray them along with some "other parts" :shifty I am getting done in the next couple of weeks.

Okay.

Cadeez
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
I rattle canned my grill and it looks like new! 3 coats of Plasti-Coat satin is what I used.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/paintedgrill.jpg

bullfrogs_M3
04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
lol, you can't even tell thats a car haaa nice

Marcus-SanDiego
04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Jeff, did you put fitted sheets on your car to paint it?? LOL. Nice.

Cadeez
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Hahaha why yes I did! I live in a condo with a small 1 car garage (as you can see) so space is limited, and it was very cold and rainy outside so I had to figure out a way to do it indoors and not overspray my entire car with black paint. Fitted sheets to the rescue! Looks silly I agree, but the outcome was perfect.

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Jeff, did you put fitted sheets on your car to paint it?? LOL. Nice.

That looks like a flat sheet:shifty

Marcus-SanDiego
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Hahaha why yes I did! I live in a condo with a small 1 car garage (as you can see) so space is limited, and it was very cold and rainy outside so I had to figure out a way to do it indoors and not overspray my entire car with black paint. Fitted sheets to the rescue! Looks silly I agree, but the outcome was perfect.

Love it, Jeff.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

az3579
04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Personally, I don't think that spray can job is going to last very long. I sprayed my window trim on my E30 and before long it already had rock chips on it. And that's the sides; imagine how many that grille would have being front and center of the car...

But if you're going to spray it anyway, +1 on the regular spray paint, not Plasti-Dip.

Cadeez
04-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Well if it doesn't last then I'll just hit it again, but she still looks perfect, and I steer clear of the rocks. For a $3 fix and an hour's worth of work I'd say it was well worth it. Plus it'd be nearly impossible to see rock chips down there due to the lack of surface area of the face. Standing in front of the car you'd never notice a few chips.

az3579
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Well if it doesn't last then I'll just hit it again, but she still looks perfect, and I steer clear of the rocks. For a $3 fix and an hour's worth of work I'd say it was well worth it. Plus it'd be nearly impossible to see rock chips down there due to the lack of surface area of the face. Standing in front of the car you'd never notice a few chips.

That and the grille was originally supposed to be black, so rock chips won't stick out like a sore thumb. My trim did because it was originally chrome, and I tried to shadowline it. Chrome sticks out really badly with the rock chips...

Johnmadd
04-11-2011, 07:53 PM
It looks great. Cadeez will be the guinea pig, it may work very well. Keep us updated on the wear it takes.

Cadeez
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Copy that.

HokieZHP
07-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Bad post....never mind

Johal E32
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
looks sweet!! Good job! I am going to re-do mine with a spray can of plasti dip,

ejp2fast
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
so a year and a half later- how is the wear with spray can / plasti-dip?