PDA

View Full Version : Cooling System Overhaul ?'s

kpro
04-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Who has the best quality aftermarket parts? FCP Groton, Pelican, ESC Tuning, or should I just get OEM BMW? I'm kinda indecisive on what to get. Everyone's kits have different things in them :blink which makes it even more difficult to decide what is absolutely necessary.

My car has roughly 84k on it and its a 2004, I think it might implode on my way to VA. What should I do... Expansion tank, T-stat, upper hose? I don't want to replace stuff just to replace it, like the sensors and all that extra crap everyones kit comes with...

HaLP me please.

Hornung418
04-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Who has the best quality aftermarket parts? FCP Groton, Pelican, ESC Tuning, or should I just get OEM BMW? I'm kinda indecisive on what to get. Everyone's kits have different things in them :blink which makes it even more difficult to decide what is absolutely necessary.

My car has roughly 84k on it and its a 2004, I think it might implode on my way to VA. What should I do... Expansion tank, T-stat, upper hose? I don't want to replace stuff just to replace it, like the sensors and all that extra crap everyones kit comes with...

HaLP me please.
I like pelican...I used them extensively for my 944, then my headgasket blew, and my third gear synchro sheared...but I think they have pretty good deals. ECS is one stop shopping for the overhaul tho and it's good quality parts. OEM BMW is pretty pricey for the cooling overhaul, all the hoses are made the same way...so you really can't go wrong, just look for the best deal with the best customer service :)

I'd replace the hoses, T-stat, water pump, expansion tank, and associated drain plugs. The Radiator cap is hit or miss. If you think you can wait for the next overhaul than hold off. I'm about to go HAM on the front of my motor...so if you want a nice list of prices from Pelican check the "Front End Overhaul" thread.

kpro
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks Horney! ECS seems pricey compared to everyone else and they're one of the places that has extra crap added in their packages that I don't find necessary. I bought my fuel pump from pelican and it was an easy install, and hasn't given me problems. I think I will go check them out :)

Hornung418
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
I love 'em :)

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I got my kit from ECSTuning

gr330zhp
04-11-2011, 11:03 AM
I got my kit from ECS and a couple small things locally from Bav Auto, I did mine at 56k

I replaced and would replace: waterpump and gasket, thermostat, expansion tank and cap, upper and lower radiator hoses, coolant temp sensor, fluid level sensor and obviously coolant too

If you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

kayger12
04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
When I did the cooling overhaul in my 325 I bought the cooling kit from Tischer for $325.

OEM BMW E46 3 Series Cooling System Repair Kit

OEM BMW E46 3 Series (non M) Cooling System Repair Kit. New E46 M3 Cooling Kits now available!

Kit includes genuine BMW:

Thermostat w/ housing/gasket (11537509227)
Waterpump (11517527910)
Upper radiator hose (17127510952)
Lower radiator hose (11531436408)
Expansion Tank (17117573781)
Radiator Cap (17111742231)
Engine drain plug crush ring (07119963200)
Lower hose temp sensor (13621433077)

spencers
04-11-2011, 05:49 PM
If I only had one bit of info to offer: DO NOT skimp on the expansion tank. Buy a Genuine OEM tank from the dealer or from Turner Motorsport.

I pieced together my kit at AutohausAZ, using the part number list from Tischer. Totally recommend those guys.

az3579
04-11-2011, 05:57 PM
I bought all of my stuff from Turner Motorsport, consisting of (from my email receipt):

E46COOLINGPACK
E46 Cooling System Overhaul Kit - 1999-2005 3 Series
o Yes, 1 gallon (#82141467704)
o Yes please (#17117573781)
o No thanks, stock / Original BMW is fine.
o Yes Please.

$488.10

$488.10

AC Belt - All E46 (except M3) 2003 thru 2005 & Others

$8.95

$8.95

Serpentine Drive Belt for M52tu, M54 6 Cylinder

$19.44

$19.44

Tensioner Pulley for Main Drive Belt (Water Pump/Alternator/Power Steering)

$48.42

$23.42

$25.00

Upper Idler Pulley for Main Drive Belt (Water Pump/Alternator/Power Steering)

$49.34

$19.39

$29.95

Order Notes:
None

SubTotal:

$571.44

Shipping:

UPS Ground

$26.41

Tax:

$0.00

Total:

$597.85

For reference, E46COOLINGPACK description:

This is a compete cooling system overhaul kit, which includes all the common E46 cooling system failure parts bundled into a complete package. This cooling system package is for all of the non-M E46 3 series -- those made in 1999-2005 as well as 2006 coupes and convertibles.

The E46 cooling system is much like that of the previous generation 3 series; Several of the primary cooling components are prone to failure within 60k miles (or less in many cases). A failure in the cooling system can lead to overheating and catastrophic engine failure. Don't gamble your engine! By replacing these core items preventatively, such as the radiator & waterpump, you are difusing what could be a ticking cooling system time bomb. And if you've had a failure of one of these parts, now is the time to refresh your cooling system. Our kit includes one OEM Behr radiator, an Original BMW waterpump (with updated composite impeller), thermostat (complete with housing), radiator cap, and new hoses (as pictured).

Optional items (which can be added below):
- Original BMW antifreeze
- Upgrade the waterpump to a Steward EMP High Performance pump
- Add a new coolant expansion tank (known for cracking, includes new coolant level sensor)

** I purchased BMW coolant, left the waterpump the standard kind (composite impeller), and purchased a brand new expansion tank.

I know you said you don't want to replace stuff just to replace it, but with the cooling system and related parts, it's WORTH IT. I highly recommend you spend the money, because any number of these items could leave you stranded.

kpro
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I was trying to avoid paying $500 for parts. I think I'm going to get the kit at pelican and get the OEM expansion tank at turner. Im not going to do the tensioners and belts til later unless they're abnormally worn. I can get them on the spot locally if need be.

danewilson77
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I was trying to avoid paying $500 for parts. I think I'm going to get the kit at pelican and get the OEM expansion tank at turner. Im not going to do the tensioners and belts til later unless they're abnormally worn. I can get them on the spot locally if need be.

Sounds solid Kristen.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

Johnmadd
04-11-2011, 07:44 PM
My po was the shizzle, he did all the necessary maintenance and recalls and updates. All I can say is I have the stewart perfomance water pump and I believe it has a lifetime warranty.

Hornung418
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
My po was the shizzle, he did all the necessary maintenance and recalls and updates. All I can say is I have the stewart perfomance water pump and I believe it has a lifetime warranty.
Limited lifetime warranty. John, are you running under drive pulleys with the water pump?

Johnmadd
04-11-2011, 08:24 PM
No paperwork for it and I don't think so, was thinking of the tms kit in the future when they do need to be changed.

az3579
04-12-2011, 01:49 AM

Pretty much get everything you can.
The way I see it is this:

If I drive 5 hours for a track day and I get there, and something breaks (under the hood) and I'll have to get towed, I'd be mega heated. That's lost $$ in the track day as I can't complete my day, and a TON of money in the towing department. I'd rather just spend the money and make damned sure that if I get towed home, it isn't because it's my fault.

If you can't answer the question "can I be certain that I've done all I could to prevent breaking down?" then I just buy whatever necessary to ensure the answer to that question is "yes".

Good luck though with whatever you decide. :)

spencers
04-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Im not going to do the tensioners and belts til later unless they're abnormally worn.

Whenever you do, I highly recommend Goodyear Gatorback belts. They're quiet!

kpro
04-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I've been around cars/mechanics my entire life, I understand about cutting corners/using cheap parts and that's not my intent here. The parts companies sell more than whats needed in most of these kits. You can go to 4 different vendors and have 4 completely different kits. I've decided after talking with the dealer what absoultly needs changed, and what isn't necessary right now. Any car can break at any point no matter how "reliable" it is, and regardless of how much maintainance has been completed, fact is moving parts break, electrical things die...shit wears out.

BP, all my cars including the ones that go on track are always maintained in tip top shape, and quite frankly don't need this much "preventative" maintainance to keep them considered reliable. Im unframiliar with which companies to buy from and which to avoid in the BMW community, so I asked. The BMW is my daily driver, which means it will probably NEVER see a track day. I'm not going to treat it as a pile of junk, I will do whats required to keep it healthy. I have unlimited AAA towing incase something breaks/dies. Getting it towed is a headache, but that doesn't constitute a need to spend $500 in parts on this service when its not needed. I appreciate your concern. I just was mainly trying to gather info with regards to the quality of said aftermarket parts and peoples preferences on where to buy.