PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Woman+Adaptive Xenon Headlights+Cookie Trays+250 Deg Oven = Kick A** Angel Eyes!

tmdavila
04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, it's been 2 weeks that I've had my 06 AW coupe and I'm happy to say that my biggest mod to date, the angel eyes, is a done deal. After getting my Predator Orion
V2s, I had some 2nd thoughts about having to bake the lights apart to install the AEs, particularly after a) Umnitza, no doubt due to liability issues, referred said purchaser to the online DIY resources instead of providing legit instructions and b) I looked up a pair of used Xenon Adaptive headlights on ebay and saw that they were....pricey....quite pricey.

So, I called Umnitza and asked how much $$$ to have them do the AE installation/cookie tin baking part if I sent the lights in via mail. The kid on the phone told me $400...to which I calmly replied, "oh, that's for both, or just one headlight?" while in my mind, I thought....NFW-are you outta your mind?! Not one to take a single answer as gospel, later that night I e-mailed Umnitza and came up with a quote of $150 to install the AEs in both headlights. While that was more palatable, the next thought was...how silly will my ZHP look driving around with no headlights? Could I put white plastic grocery bags in he openings, perhaps, to camouflage the lack of lenses? Happily, I still haven't put my trusty, 32 MPG, 1998 AW 323IS coupe up for sale yet, so that was a possible plan B if I decided to mail out the lights.

3 days later, after looking at every single online tutorial and spending hours poring over every post I could find on Facelift Coupe AE upgrades, I said to my hubby something along the the heck with it, here we go, wish us luck.

He removed said headlights while I readied the at-home DIY headlight crematorium for the procedure. It was clear from the start that this would not be a job where husband and wife would work side by side, at least not this couple... After we both QC'd the headlights to make sure that they were adequately prepped, I tossed them into the oven. 15 minutes later, my dear spouse attempted to supervise me opening one headlight - then he made a comment like "be careful, don't break that clip" and I sent a blistering "oh, c'mon look" his way. He left the room to hide in the garage, and yes, I broke one clip along the way (they sure bend easy when they are HOT)!

It took a REALLY long time because I was super-cautious and super-paranoid about the procedure. Bottom line, that OEM glue is darned sticky and a real PITA. I installed the AE with some 3M double-sided tap, ran my wiring leads out and got the lights back together just fine. They probably didn't need to be baked a 2nd time (b/c that glue stays SO tacky) but I figured, hey - what's another 15 min in the oven at this point?

Hubby reinstalled the now-Angel-Eyed lights while I was in charge of running the wiring harness install. After starting with what, to me, resembled snakes in a ZHP, I was able to figure out what went where and it all made perfect sense. I even ran the 2nd trigger wire to the interior lights so if I unlock the car or open a door, the AEs go on. I can't say how easily the headlights went in and out, since my dear spouse handled that part, but the actual headlight prep, baking, AE installation and wiring really was very simple.

Here's the funny part - my biggest fear was messing up the adaptive motors or the Xenons in some way. We noticed, after we installed the AEs, that the lights no longer turned. ARGHHH! At which point, I said well...I'd rather have AEs than lights that turn, anyways (I guess). My hubby said "why not have both" - and we went to bed planning to look into it in the next morning. I couldn't sleep - and thank heavens for Bimmer fans...it took me only a teensy bit of Googling and 3 separate times in and out of bed and back to the garage for an after-midnight test drive in my robe before I figured out that the lights weren't moving because...drum roll...we didn't have them on the Auto setting...PHEW! I guess I should have checked the owners manual first, but that's for weenies in my book. :)

If you're ever in the Chicago/Milwaukee area and want some help baking your lights apart, stop on by, we'll leave the oven on for you...

Marcus-SanDiego
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Teresa, nice post. Stop being such a stranger around here!

pleasecorrupt
04-11-2011, 08:33 PM
could've sworn we had a bump of wimpy men not wanting to bake first. well way to take one for the team ;)

johnrando
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
could've sworn we had a bump of wimpy men not wanting to bake first. well way to take one for the team ;)

Absolutely count me in as one of those. Great post, way to take one for the team, and congrats it worked out! It gives me hope, but I still ain't bakin' mine! lol

EDIT. Just saw the pics, absolutely gorgeous!

tmdavila
04-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Ladies first, I guess! :0

Teresa

pleasecorrupt
04-11-2011, 08:48 PM
Absolutely count me in as one of those. Great post, way to take one for the team, and congrats it worked out! It gives me hope, but I still ain't bakin' mine! lol

EDIT. Just saw the pics, absolutely gorgeous!

haha. i knew it. eventually you'll change your mind as more teresa's get on board :)

kayger12
04-12-2011, 02:25 AM

Wimpy man #2 checking in. :)

Never happening for me.

Great job, Teresa.

Enjoyed the write up.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
04-12-2011, 03:13 AM
Very nicely played Teresa......desperate woman...lol.

Droid! Srs Legitness!

pyreguy
04-12-2011, 03:25 AM
Great writeup! Glad everything worked out for you. They look amazing!

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

bullfrogs_M3
04-12-2011, 04:29 AM
AW ZHP :drool

Welcome

pyreguy
04-12-2011, 05:06 AM
How bout those black wheels huh? Awesome

tmdavila
04-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Thanks....I looked long and hard for an AW, much less one with only 16K miles....

tmdavila
04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
How bout those black wheels huh? Awesome

Those are my summer rims - from my E36, they look great on the AW ZHP, don't they - but wait - I am biased...

Marcus-SanDiego
04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
but wait - I am biased...

Ain't we all.

tripod06
04-15-2011, 12:58 PM
those look awsome!

Kudos
04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Teresa, have you done any waterproofing tests, i.e. spraying them with water or in a steam or soemthing to see if they fog from inside? if they work, i will def come on over to use your oven this coming summer and get this done on my zhp. this setup looks so much cleaner than the 2 piece units which is what's keeping me from modding. pm me some time and we'll arrange some work done.

RITmusic2k
04-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Awesome job recounting the experience. Love your writing style!

danewilson77
06-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I miss Teresa :(

lilcdkey
06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
I needa stop by :shifty

billschusteriv
06-29-2011, 01:53 AM
I missed this thread first time around!

Awesome DIY and recap of headlight baking and AE install, Teresa!

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.