PDA

View Full Version : Looking to code your ZHP? Look no further.

Pages : [1] 2

Stu
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
After doing lots and lots of searching, I have attached the files that you will need to figure out how to code your ZHP. The information is a bit scattered on the internet, so I have done my best to compile what I have found.

I can't post the exact links to BMW Tools, INPA, WinKFP 5.1.6, NCS Expert, or SSS Progman v32. But a savvy googler can very easily find them... ;) *cough* just google any one of those phrases *cough*

All credit goes to all those that figured these things out and created these files and threads.
I have nothing to do with the creation of any of these. I'm just compiling them into one place for easy access.

Before you continue, just what does it mean to code your car?

BMWs have tons of options, as you are well aware of. Many of these options can be enabled by the dealer, but it costs a good amount of money. Some of these options are disabled for U.S. spec cars, while others are disabled for reasons that I cannot figure out. For example, there is an option that is normally disabled that will auto-close the sunroof upon detection of rain. On E9x cars, one can enable a digital speedometer in the CID. These are just a few of the things that you can do.

Here's a definition list of the acronyms you'll come across in your coding adventures. (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=995668)

The info

Attached:

NCSEXPER.TXT - Translate NCS-Expert to English

coding defin.pdf - Definitions for various codes and options for an E46 M3 convertible. I would imagine these do not differ too much. Do NOT, under any circumstances, add new options that are found on an M3 but not on your ZHP. It may have bad consequences.

BMW_Technical_Acronyms.pdf - Definition of each module acronym

NCS_DIY.pdf - How to install and use NCS-Expert

You can find spencer's information about the hardware and other useful stuff you will need here:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1808-How-to-set-up-a-BMW-Diagnostic-Computer

You can download NCS-Expert here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?309po0avte77vv1

More NCS-Expert info, another tutorial, and drivers information:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/172542-dyi-_coding-e63-e64-updated-02-21-2011-a.html

Translate NCS-Expert to English:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21219040&postcount=7

Possibly enable RPA (flat tire monitor) for ZHPs without the option installed?
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499451

Another great tool to make NCSExpert coding easier
NCS Dummy (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert)

E46 v41 daten and assembly-line files:
http://www.filedropper.com/sp-daten-e46

I haven't actually tried coding yet, but I feel pretty confident in trying it thanks to this information that others have made.

I would suggest downloading the files and saving those threads as .pdf files. You never know when a forum or link will disappear.

danewilson77
04-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Dayum Zell.....

RITmusic2k
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Nice compilation; thanks for doing this!

bullfrogs_M3
04-12-2011, 09:45 AM
I wonder what would happen if you enabled ALL the options? lol

Nice list, thanks for posting this up

az3579
04-12-2011, 12:33 PM
I wonder what would happen if you enabled ALL the options? lol

Nice list, thanks for posting this up

You'd have one cluster-fudge of options enabled. lol
They wouldn't conflict or anything, just be... different.

I sure as hell wouldn't want my DRL's back...

Washburn
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
zell - have you activated any options on your car that you didn't have before, or are you planning to?

spencers
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I purposely left out NCSExpert and WinKFP from my tutorials because, quite simply, if you press the wrong buttons, you can seriously mess up your car!

Granted, those are the only two programs (aside from INPA) that I've actually used to make changes to my car: update DME and enable xenons. :shift Both of which can be done in SSS/Progman.

Stu
04-12-2011, 02:08 PM
zell - have you activated any options on your car that you didn't have before, or are you planning to?

Not yet. Once I modify a cable and such, I'll probably be adding a few options. I haven't looked at all of the options just yet, but I do plan on activating a few. The ones that I am planning on adding are:

- Moon roof close on rain detection
- Lights flash when the car is locked (works even without the alarm installed)
- Replace "59 F" with "LO" and "90 F" with "HI" on the climate control
- Slight tip of the turn signal does 3 blinks
- Holding down the center door lock button closes all windows
- Doors auto-lock at speeds > 8kmh
- Corner lights delete with lights on (though I would need to see how that actually looks first)
- Maybe flat tire detection if it turns out it's actually possible to do. I would have to find a matching button strip with the same options I have + flat tire monitor.

But yes, spencers is totally right. You can seriously mess up your car with NCS-Expert. You have full access to basically all of the modules with it. Always, always make a backup of your ECU before doing anything, use a very reliable cable, and use the most basic install of 32-bit Windows XP you can possibly get with nothing on it except NCS-Expert. Make a separate partition for it. A blue-screen or interruption during flashing is not something fun to deal with, I would imagine.

When I do get around to recoding the car, I'll let you know how it went.

Washburn
04-12-2011, 02:14 PM
cool - let me know for sure...interested in how it goes for you...

i'd love to have the option to close windows with the key fob (right now i can only open with key fob).
my car does flash the turn singnals when locking, but no sound - sound (the "chook chook") might be something i might like to have someday...

i also like these ideas that you mentioned:

az3579
04-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Not yet. Once I modify a cable and such, I'll probably be adding a few options. I haven't looked at all of the options just yet, but I do plan on activating a few. The ones that I am planning on adding are:

- Moon roof close on rain detection
- Lights flash when the car is locked (works even without the alarm installed)
- Replace "59 F" with "LO" and "90 F" with "HI" on the climate control
- Corner lights delete with lights on (though I would need to see how that actually looks first)
- Maybe flat tire detection if it turns out it's actually possible to do. I would have to find a matching button strip with the same options I have + flat tire monitor.

But yes, spencers is totally right. You can seriously mess up your car with NCS-Expert. You have full access to basically all of the modules with it. Always, always make a backup of your ECU before doing anything, use a very reliable cable, and use the most basic install of 32-bit Windows XP you can possibly get with nothing on it except NCS-Expert. Make a separate partition for it. A blue-screen or interruption during flashing is not something fun to deal with, I would imagine.

When I do get around to recoding the car, I'll let you know how it went.\

You can change all of that in NCS????? I really need to figure out how to use it.
I haven't found any decent tutorials on how to use it though, so it's all Chinese (or German) to me... :(

RITmusic2k
04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Ooh! There are some intriguing options in that list...

I thought the list I had was comprehensive; I had a few car/key memory settings adjusted at the dealer.... autolock doors, reverse mirror custom position, lights flash on lock/unlock & clown nose activation, etc. But I had not seen the option for turn signal 3-blink or moon roof auto-close on rain detection. I'm familiar with key fob windows closing as an option for European market vehicles.... can we also enable that functionality without having to trick the computer into thinking that it's in euro-mode?

iZHP
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
wow....must learn how to use lol. 3 blinks with the blinker would be sick, and the rain sensing roof would be a lifesaver. I doubt I have rainsensor though.

Stu
04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Triple-flash turn signal either requires coding or a new LCM or both. Honestly I don't know, no one has given a definitive answer out there, but this guy did it through coding:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756455

pleasecorrupt
04-12-2011, 05:54 PM
cool - let me know for sure...interested in how it goes for you...

i'd love to have the option to close windows with the key fob (right now i can only open with key fob).
my car does flash the turn singnals when locking, but no sound - sound (the "chook chook") might be something i might like to have someday...

i also like these ideas that you mentioned:

Once again, I have instructions to comfort close all windows with lock button, just want to try them out myself before i screw someone with instructions i got from someone off of e46. :3

VA//M3
11-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Triple-flash turn signal either requires coding or a new LCM or both. Honestly I don't know, no one has given a definitive answer out there, but this guy did it through coding:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756455

Only LCM's fitted to 06' models have that capability. I think is SW 4.5/4.6, iirc

LTCMontana
11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Remember, you can close/open all windows by holding down the unlock function on the key fob.

Washburn
11-29-2011, 09:06 AM
No you can only OPEN them by default - not CLOSE - THAT's what needs to be coded. (dealerhips won't do THAT part due to safety regulations)

danewilson77
11-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Remember, you can close/open all windows by holding down the unlock function on the key fob.

Montana :hi

cakM3
03-19-2013, 06:48 AM
Only LCM's fitted to 06' models have that capability. I think is SW 4.5/4.6, iirc

Sorry to bump this thread but the information in blue quotes is incorrect. LCM's from late '05 and all '06 models with SW vers 4.0 or 4.5 are able to be coded to have one-touch triple blink. Any E46 (at least 2003 on since I haven't tried doing this with earlier versions) can be updated with this LCM and have it coded to their car (VIN & mileage) and then have one-touch triple blink enabled.

Tnhl1989
04-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Hey Zell,

I was wondering if you can add this to your original post. This should make things a lot easier in terms of making changes with NCS.

NCS Dummy (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1553779-NCS-Dummy-Taking-the-expert-out-of-NCS-Expert)

It helped me make a lot of changes a lot quicker than going through and finding all the codes. Now I just need to compile a whole database of things for each module.

danewilson77
04-19-2013, 05:34 AM
Done

bullfrogs_M3
04-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Okay this is very cool stuff and I want to know how to do these updates:

Remote Window Up
One Touch Triple Signal
Autolock > 5mph
Flash headlights on alarm lock/unlock

Guess I have my hands full this next week figuring out how to get this stuff to work

danewilson77
04-19-2013, 08:43 AM
You have to buy different LCM for triple blink.

You should be able to do the rest with this unit.

Charlie has info on this.

bullfrogs_M3
04-19-2013, 08:49 AM
I was curious about that part. Looks like I have to find at least an 05 LCM, probably best to go with an 06 LCM

cakM3
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
All you need for one touch - triple blink to work is get an LCM with s/w version 4.0 or 4.5

I have s/w version 4.0 (2005 LCM) in my ZHP with one touch - triple blink enabled and s/w version 4.5 (2006 LCM) in the ///M with one touch - triple blink enabled.

I have pics in both project threads for each LCM :thumbsup

NorCalZman
04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Im a little confused on this LCM for triple blink requirements. Does any 05 car or newer (like mine) have the correct LCM/ Software version or do we need to check something to make sure it can do that?

wsmeyer
04-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Im a little confused on this LCM for triple blink requirements. Does any 05 car or newer (like mine) have the correct LCM or do we need to check something to make sure it can do that?

I don't think so but under that trim piece there is two screws and then it slides far enough forward (without disconnecting )to see the sticker on top with the Hardware(HW) and Software(SW) version on it.

I think the confusion comes from that you need a 2006 MODEL YEAR car. That includes a lot of ones made in 2005 but it needs to be a 2006MY.

derbo
04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Okay this is very cool stuff and I want to know how to do these updates:

Remote Window Up
One Touch Triple Signal
Autolock > 5mph
Flash headlights on alarm lock/unlock

Guess I have my hands full this next week figuring out how to get this stuff to work

GM5 module
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB aktiv / nicht_aktiv Comfort close remote – vert top, sunroof
DWA aktiv / nicht_aktiv Flash markers with no alarm when locking
VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H aktiv / nicht_aktiv Autolock when moving
VERRIEGELUNGSSCHEWELLE 8_km/h auto-lock (4 8 12 20 24 28) Speed of Autolock
CYCL_TI_BLK driemal One Touch Indicators, triple blink (only works if your LCM is 4.0+)

IHK
DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “HIGH” instead of number on hottest setting.
DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “LOW” instead of number on coolest setting.

ALSZ
BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Crash warning blinker impulse speed.
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Hazard lights impulse speed.
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog lights turn off when high beams are on.
SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01 / wert_02 wert_01=bixenon and halogen together.
GED_FL_ALS_DRL aktiv / nicht_aktiv Daytime Running Lights

One word of advice if you do delete your US parking lights: When you run without parking lights, nothing else is on in the front...I set my DRL to on while I had this setting for safety reasons. I actually went back to stock since it was too much of a hassle until I got city lights.

az3579
04-19-2013, 09:31 AM
For anyone that has angel eyes, I highly recommend disabling the turn signal parking lights. It looks sooooooo much better, and the angel eyes are great as DRLs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

cakM3
04-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Im a little confused on this LCM for triple blink requirements. Does any 05 car or newer (like mine) have the correct LCM/ Software version or do we need to check something to make sure it can do that?

You take out your LCM like this
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/20/7a4yqysu.jpg

Then you pull the LCM out just a bit so you can look at the top of it to read this
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/20/4ymyve5y.jpg

On the bottom right of the label you will see HW# and SW#. You're concerned with the SW# (Software version). This number should be either 4.0 or 4.5

I got this one from a buddy of mine who parts wrecked ///Ms....:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Dave_B
04-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Charlie, if you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for that LCM?

cakM3
04-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Charlie, if you don't mind me asking, what did you end up paying for that LCM?

Dave... sent you a PM :thumbsup

bullfrogs_M3
04-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I started searching around for LCM's on google and keep getting links back to ZHPMafia lol

cakM3
04-19-2013, 01:04 PM
I started searching around for LCM's on google and keep getting links back to ZHPMafia lol

I just did a quick search for used LCMs on eBay and found older ones....s/w versions prior to 3.6. None of them would work for one touch - triple blink unfortunately...

Remember... s/w 4.0 or 4.5 will work
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/apa7u5eq_zpsc75dc1ba.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/juze4aty_zps3f11103b.jpg

This is the one I put in my ///M...

derbo
04-19-2013, 01:10 PM
For anyone that has angel eyes, I highly recommend disabling the turn signal parking lights. It looks sooooooo much better, and the angel eyes are great as DRLs.

That is actually a good one! I wanted AE setup to the LCM to a light switch power source so it only goes on with the lights. Literally replacing the parking corners with the AE. :)

NorCalZman
04-19-2013, 01:55 PM
thanks CakM3. Did you just slide something flat in there to carefully pry out the panel?

bullfrogs_M3
04-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Part number for the Euro version that has dual fog light buttons (front and rear)

61.31-6 907 948

Would love to find one of these so i could have a button just for the AE's.

Avetiso
04-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Could somebody PM what the hell rear fogs are?

I've looked around to see "what" they are, but did they only come on eurospec cars?

wsmeyer
04-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Part number for the Euro version that has dual fog light buttons (front and rear)

61.31-6 907 948

Would love to find one of these so i could have a button just for the AE's.

Just like here, there are a bunch of different versions. I check periodically but have yet to spot one with Auto, F&R fogs, and SW 4.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=e46+%28lsz%2Clcm%29&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The ones with the second roller are not for Xenon

az3579
04-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Could somebody PM what the hell rear fogs are?

I've looked around to see "what" they are, but did they only come on eurospec cars?

Rear fogs are just one of the trunk mounted lights set to illuminate at full brightness when you press the button.

terraphantm
04-23-2013, 04:47 AM
Just like here, there are a bunch of different versions. I check periodically but have yet to spot one with Auto, F&R fogs, and SW 4.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=e46+%28lsz%2Clcm%29&_sacat=0&_from=R40

The ones with the second roller are not for Xenon

You already have a 4.0 if you have a 2006 model. The faceplates themselves are interchangeable. So buy any Euro LCM and swap faceplates with your existing switch. Since you have a convertible, the rear fogs won't require any coding (they will require wiring)

deuce08s
04-23-2013, 05:23 AM
I just did a quick search for used LCMs on eBay and found older ones....s/w versions prior to 3.6. None of them would work for one touch - triple blink unfortunately...

Remember... s/w 4.0 or 4.5 will work
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/apa7u5eq_zpsc75dc1ba.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Library2/juze4aty_zps3f11103b.jpg

This is the one I put in my ///M...

Is that dimple on the face of the LCM near the headlight on icon supposed to be there? I have one in that exact location on my car and thought the PO knicked it or something.

danewilson77
04-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Supposed to be there.

wsmeyer
04-23-2013, 08:46 AM

Mines an ambient light sensor. If I hold my finger over it the dash display dims

az3579
04-24-2013, 03:50 PM
I never knew what that dimple was. I know it's supposed to be something, not just a random dimple. I think I saw a pic of it on a coupe with it lit green, with the switch set to auto. It would make sense to me to have it lit when the auto lights are active, but it never lights up for me. It's not an ambient light sensor in my car as it has no effect on my lights if I cover it up. The sensor over the windshield, however, does enable my lights if I cover it...

wsmeyer
04-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I never knew what that dimple was. I know it's supposed to be something, not just a random dimple. I think I saw a pic of it on a coupe with it lit green, with the switch set to auto. It would make sense to me to have it lit when the auto lights are active, but it never lights up for me. It's not an ambient light sensor in my car as it has no effect on my lights if I cover it up. The sensor over the windshield, however, does enable my lights if I cover it...

Mine has a green LED over on the other side of the switch that goes on with the headlights. On mine this little thing dims the LED display for mileage and such, it does not turn on the auto headlights. There's a delay on it but hold your finger on it for 10 seconds during the day and see if your mileage display dims.

Stu
04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Shamelessly bumping my own thread that I forgot I made because I found it while googling coding information, and it has actually been useful for myself ��

Washburn
04-28-2013, 02:00 PM
So Zell, any developments in the coding situation ? :)

Tnhl1989
04-28-2013, 06:05 PM
So I guess the three of us are coding experts. Thanks again to BP for setting me up to help everyone. I'm in the works to develop a virtual machine so that everyone could use. It's so complicated to tailor each computer to each set up. Over time I will get everything and some DIY for everyone.

terraphantm
04-28-2013, 06:26 PM
So I guess the three of us are coding experts. Thanks again to BP for setting me up to help everyone. I'm in the works to develop a virtual machine so that everyone could use. It's so complicated to tailor each computer to each set up. Over time I will get everything and some DIY for everyone.

I thought about doing that, but distributing a VM w/ a full install of windows would be illegal. It's already illegal-enough to distribute the BMW software.

I might try writing an automated installer when I'm done with school

The dimple on the right is just an ambient light sensor. Sets the brightness of the gauge cluster display when the lights are off.

The green light on the left is only found on facelift coupes with the adaptive headlights. The green LED indicates the adaptive function is on.

Stu
04-28-2013, 06:39 PM
So Zell, any developments in the coding situation ? :)

Total success :) Updated the ECU to v41 today with WinKFP. It took about 30 minutes, and it seemed to update two things at a time. After clearing knock and idle adaptations, I noticed that idle is much smoother, and 4200 RPM dips are gone. I added the E46 v41 assembly and daten files to the thread for download.

The first update took about 25-30 minutes. When that was done, it then asked me if I wanted to update a second part, which took about 1-2 minutes. You will know the coding is done because your CEL/limp light will turn back on, your cluster will beep, and you'll hear all the stuff under the hood get ready as if you just put the key into the ignition. Make sure your USB cable is good, and your OBD end is firmly plugged in. Definitely do not do this without a battery charger, and make sure your laptop is plugged in. Turn off automatic sleep and screensavers as well.

I never could get SSS/Progman to work properly. It was able to talk to ifhsrv32, but it never was able to talk to my car. So I ended up going the less user-friendly route of WinKFP and NCS-Expert. You can do more with them anyway, it's just easier to screw up. Thanks to NCS-Dummy, it is much easier to mess around with settings that NCS-Expert came up with. People have discussed editing the nettodat.trc files to edit even more parameters, but I do not know exactly what the nettodat files do, nor what they change in particular. terraphantm probably knows about them - he's the coding expert. I've pretty much compiled all of my information and knowledge from stuff I've found that he posted around various forums :)

wsmeyer
04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
^^ You're the man!

It might be completely unwarranted but that sounds too risky for me to try. Glad it worked out though. I had mine flashed by the dealer under warranty and it definitely made a difference.

Washburn
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Total success :) Updated the ECU to v41 today with WinKFP. It took about 30 minutes, and it seemed to update two things at a time. After clearing knock and idle adaptations, I noticed that idle is much smoother, and 4200 RPM dips are gone. I added the E46 v41 assembly and daten files to the thread for download.

The first update took about 25-30 minutes. When that was done, it then asked me if I wanted to update a second part, which took about 1-2 minutes. You will know the coding is done because your CEL/limp light will turn back on, your cluster will beep, and you'll hear all the stuff under the hood get ready as if you just put the key into the ignition. Make sure your USB cable is good, and your OBD end is firmly plugged in. Definitely do not do this without a battery charger, and make sure your laptop is plugged in. Turn off automatic sleep and screensavers as well.

I never could get SSS/Progman to work properly. It was able to talk to ifhsrv32, but it never was able to talk to my car. So I ended up going the less user-friendly route of WinKFP and NCS-Expert. You can do more with them anyway, it's just easier to screw up. Thanks to NCS-Dummy, it is much easier to mess around with settings that NCS-Expert came up with. People have discussed editing the nettodat.trc files to edit even more parameters, but I do not know exactly what the nettodat files do, nor what they change in particular. terraphantm probably knows about them - he's the coding expert. I've pretty much compiled all of my information and knowledge from stuff I've found that he posted around various forums :)

CONGRATS! Very glad you got it all done....
IDK if i should ever update the ECU version as I MIGHT have some type of Dinan software: By using your SW, can you tell if the ECU has a tune or not? or tell the current BMW ecu SW version but not opt to update? That'd be awesome!

So what all else did you get coded, as far as convenience stuff?

And when can I come over and buy you a beer/lunch? ;)

Stu
04-28-2013, 07:07 PM
CONGRATS! Very glad you got it all done....
IDK if i should ever update the ECU version as I MIGHT have some type of Dinan software: By using your SW, can you tell if the ECU has a tune or not? or tell the current BMW ecu SW version but not opt to update? That'd be awesome!

So what all else did you get coded, as far as convenience stuff?

And when can I come over and buy you a beer/lunch? ;)

That I don't know just yet. I haven't delved too far into WinKFP enough to figure all that out. I'm a little nervous to do anything more advanced since this is my only car, and if I brick it then that's a baaaaad day. I'm slowly tinkering around with it. I don't know if it will overwrite any sort of DME or Dinan tune. And any time in the next two weeks, I can definitely code your car! Let me know ahead of time, I'm basically starting the fun process of moving.

Washburn
04-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Cool - thanks; I am not that crazy about the DME update yet, as I don't want to overwrite anything that I may have, and I haven't really noticed any 'dip'...
(A tuning shop in Durham has told me they can check my DME and see if it's tuned or stock and which version etc)...

Right now I mainly want to get some convenient settings (windows up, auto lock at certain speed, triple blink IF my LCM is one of the compatible ones, etc) coded.

I am off next week end but I will PM you before that, so I know for sure you have time.

Stu
04-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Sure thing, I can definitely do that.

terraphantm
04-29-2013, 05:05 AM
You can't check whether its tuned or not with WinKFP. You'll have to dump it and compare with a stock file

Stu
04-29-2013, 06:56 AM
My next little coding project is to figure out how to activate blinking brake-force display. I like the BFD idea, but I don't think an extra set of lights garners enough attention on hard braking. I'd like them to blink, which supposedly is an option.

In the LSZ file, there are a few different options:

BFD_SW2_STUFE2
BFD_SW2_STUFE3
BFD_SW1_STUFE2
BFD_SW1_STUFE3
BFD_ABS_STUFE2
BFD_ABS_STUFE3

Now, from what I understand, Stufe 3 (Stage 3) is "extreme hard braking," and seems to be disabled. From videos I've seen, enabling stage 3 allow for fast blinking which gathers attention much quicker.

I have not yet gathered what "SW" stands for, but I am going to guess "Software" since they tend to mix English and German together in these files. I would imagine that "SW" means that information from DSC and the speedometer will determine if you are braking hard or not, while ABS means that when ABS activates, it is determined you are braking hard. "SW1" and "SW2," I do not know the difference, but my only guess is that it's some sort of redundancy.

I'm going to try to activate BFD_ABS_STUFE3, BFD_SW1_STUFE3, and BFD_SW2_STUFE3 while disabling BFD_ABS_STUFE2 since I want ABS to say that I am really braking hard.

Here's some info about it for the E46 on a Polish website:

http://www.bmw-sport.pl/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=110895

There are lots of other BFD parameters in there that I am going to investigate as well. This code is off of the LCM from a Z4 and supposedly will work to make all the lights blink, but I have not yet tested it. I am sure there are differences between the E46 and Z4 LCMs, but I am sure many parameters (sans pinouts) will apply:

PIN49_37_BFD
nicht_aktiv
PIN38_20_BFD
nicht_aktiv
BFD_BLINK_EINZEIT
wert_02
BFD_BLINK_AUSZEIT
wert_02
BFD_ABS_STUFE3
active
BFD_STUFE3_TIMER
wert_02
BFD_SW2_STUFE3
active
BLST1_BLST3
active
PIN5_10_BFD
nicht_aktiv
BFD_SW1_STUFE3
active
BFD_SW2_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_MINDEST_GESCHW
wert_02
BFD_STUFE_2_VERZOEG
wert_02
BFD_STUFE_2_MAX_EIN
wert_01
BFD_SW1_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_ABS_STUFE2
nicht_aktiv
BFD_STUFE2_TIMER
wert_01
PIN29_30_BFD
active
BFD3_ASC_TIMER
wert_01
BEI_NSL_KEIN_BFD
nicht_aktiv

Meric
04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
From what I know I dont think you can get your BFD to blink since e46 lcms are ''old''. Newer bmws It's possible to activate.

Tnhl1989
04-29-2013, 07:53 AM
So pretty much saying everyone should source for a 06 lcm ? Lol that would allow everything :p

Meric
04-29-2013, 08:01 AM
No none of the E46 LCMs are capable.. Im not sure tho worth a shot. Let me know if you find anything :)

Stu
04-29-2013, 08:05 AM
No none of the E46 LCMs are capable.. Im not sure tho worth a shot. Let me know if you find anything :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMyaAem4EHM

I did find this video, which looks promising. We'll see! I'll let you know when I get around to it. I need a buddy to tell me if it's working basically.

Meric
04-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Aghh Euro BMW's they always get the cool stuff.. They also make me look wrong everything is possible there... :( Yea Ill be waiting your answers :) Really cool feature

Meric
04-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Got it!

3 stages Brake Force Display retrofited to 04/2001 E46 Touring

1st stage - Illuminated standard brake lights (a up to cca 4m/s^2)
2nd stage - Increased in size of illuminated area, here added tail and fog lights (a over cca 4m/s^2)
3rd stage - Standard brake lights start to flash (when ABS is activated)

E46-before-03/2003-Touring retrofit requirements:

Hardware:
- E46 Facelifted Instrument cluster with BFD support (CI:07 and CI:08 only)
- E46 LSZ2 (facelifted light module) with BFD support (CI:32 and higher)
- change connection from 4W to 21W filament for tail light in dual filament 4W/21W tail light bulb or use 03/2003+ bulb holder (single 21W filament bulb for tail light)
- My extra: I connected 2nd rear fog light (new 2 bulbs holder from RHD version required) with wire to LSZ2 and activated BFD STAGE2 for both rear fog lights in addition to tail lights as well

Software:
- LSZ2 recoded to meet 03/2003 tail light PWM (21W tail light bulb dimmed to 4W, but ready for 21W BFD action)
- LSZ2 recoded to set definition, parameters and limits for BFD STAGE2 and BFD STAGE3
- Instrument cluster recoded to send deceleration information (= just activated BFD support)

Meric
04-29-2013, 08:16 AM
LSZ2 following functions specified parameters for LSZ2 CI: 34 to CI: 37 ( different settings for LSZ2 CI: 32, N / A = function in this LSZ2 unavailable and can not be set ) BFD_SW1_STUFE2 assets ( assets BFD_ON ) BFD_SW2_STUFE2 nicht_aktiv ( N / A ) BFD_ABS_STUFE2 assets ( N / A ) BFD_SW1_STUFE3 nicht_aktiv ( BFD_ST3_ON assets ) BFD_SW2_STUFE3 assets ( N / A ) BFD_ABS_STUFE3 assets ( N / A ) BFD_MINDEST_GESCHW wert_02 BFD_STUFE2_TIMER wert_02 BFD_STUFE3_TIMER wert_02 BFD_STUFE_2_VERZOEG wert_02 ( BFD_STUFE_2_VERZOEG wert_01 ) BFD_STUFE_2_MAX_EIN wert_02 ( BFD_STUFE_2_MAX_EIN wert_01 ) BLST1_BLST3 assets ST3_SCHWEL nicht_aktiv For all E46 sedan outside FL: PIN29_30_BFD assets for E46 sedan FL: PIN38_20_BFD assets PIN38_BFD assets (plus only LSZ2 CI 36 and CI 37) PIN49_37_BFD assets PIN49_BFD assets (plus only LSZ2 CI 36 and CI 37) This ensure follow-setting behavior: Above a certain threshold of negative acceleration (deceleration) lights BFD STAGE2, lights defined using PINXX_XX_BFD assets. When exceeding a slightly higher threshold deceleration is enabled BFD stage3 when they start flashing brake lights standard. When ABS is activated, regardless of when either of the two borders both activated STAGE, BFD and BFD STAGE2 stage3. After activating some STAGE (STAGE2 or STAGE2 + Stage3) remains at this setting active to release the brake pedal, that even after stopping. If you would like to enable the stage3 only during heavy braking or ABS activation, change the parameter function ST3_SCHWEL the assets, but I do not recommend this treatment setting because it reduces visibility BFD after stopping. , if you want (except for FL E46 sedan, which it already has) use the rear fog light as obrysovky, connect pin 20 LSZ2 the right fog lamp. You'll need a new bracket for the right fog lamp with two PARTNUMBER 63 21 8 374 808, because the original 63 21 8 374 810 is only one reverse light bulb. Then edit the new data coding LSZ2 following function following parameters: PIN_20_ALS_SL_LI_3_ANSTEU assets PWM_ANSTEUERUNG_SL3_LI_HI wert_02 assets NSL_ALS_STANDLICHT If you want to BFD in addition to the marker lights used both fog lights (see my extra for BFD STAGE2 on video) connected under the previous scheme, in addition to change in LSZ2 following function following parameters: For E46 sedan outside FL: PIN38_20_BFD assets PIN38_BFD assets (plus only LSZ2 CI 36 and CI 37) PIN49_37_BFD assets PIN49_BFD assets (plus only LSZ2 CI 36 and CI 37) for E46 sedan FL : PIN29_30_BFD assets Why is the PINXX_XX_BFD refer to the attached picture below, which are graphically represented in different lights pin numbers LSZ (2) that the lights are connected. This manual is intended primarily for those who know what to do and what to do. Support in this direction will be provided from my side, look for it on the net is there. KamilFKH, 10/2012..

Sorry It looks ugly but this is how I found it.. Its translated from Czech forum.

Tnhl1989
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Okay so I put together a DIY for Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor (TPMS) - If I need to make a video or something I can as well. Test it out and tell me if I need to modify my directions.

NCSExpert
Expert Mode -
F1
F3
F2
Add $251 to VO
Press OK
F6
Process ECU
Change to AKMB
Change job to FA_Write
Execute Job

Make changes to following -
KMB_E46.C07
AKUSTIK_RDKS - TPCS Warning Gong
aktiv
WARN_MEDIUM_RDKS - TPCS Warning Type
gong/buzzer
RDKS - TPCS (RDKS)
aktiv

MK60.C13
REIFENDRUCKWARNSYSTEM - TPCS (RDKS)
aktiv

Both of the sensor lights should show up on the dash board.

Stu
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Good news: Yes, we do have the capability to code Stage 3 BFD activation! I tested it out and I was able to get the middle light to flash, but not my outer lights. Still working on that.

The bad news: My cable decided to stop working. Completely. It crapped out on me. What a piece of garbage. I'm going to get either a refund or a new one sent to me. My computer doesn't recognize it anymore.

Stu
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Aha! I got it! If you have a facelift car, to enable BFD Stage 3 with blinking lights on your tail lights and middle light:

BFD_SW1_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?)
aktiv

BFD_SW2_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
aktiv

BFD_ABS_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using ABS
nicht_aktiv

BFD_SW1_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?)
nicht_aktiv

BFD_SW2_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
nicht_aktiv

BFD_ABS_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
aktiv

BLST1_BLST3 - Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well
aktiv

Basically, what you're doing is re-routing the ABS trigger to Stage 3 rather than Stage 2. So you now have blinking lights for extreme deceleration rather than just increased light surface area. When you stop hard, you will have increased surface area. When you emergency stop, you will have blinking lights. I think that gets the attention of the person behind you much better :)

Crickett
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Okay so I put together a DIY for Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor - If I need to make a video or something I can as well. Test it out and tell me if I need to modify my directions.
[ . . . ]
Both of the sensor lights should show up on the dash board.

Tony, does this allow you to reset the system with the TMPS button? I tried activating the FTM a while ago but could never get the light to not be red . . .

Washburn
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Have we confirmed that the one touch triple blink can be enabled if the LCM version is 4 or 4.5? (and doesn't really have to be a MY 2006 car?)
Zell: Bummer - :( sorry to hear about the cable - hope you get a new one soon or they refund the money.

Meric
04-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Good news got all the lights blinking at hardcore braking.

Tnhl1989
04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Tony, does this allow you to reset the system with the TMPS button? I tried activating the FTM a while ago but could never get the light to not be red . . .

To reset the system you would need either the button or inpa to turn it back off. I tested it by deflating my tire to about 10psi. Drove it around and to the gas station. On the way there it turned red and I refilled the tire. It didn't turn off so I went through inpa and was able to turn it off. I might pay a visit to Charlie/Chad to test it out with their TPMS button set up.

Edit -
To turn off the error light if it ever came on you would need inpa. Go into the mk60 module and then reset it that way.

Stu
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Have we confirmed that the one touch triple blink can be enabled if the LCM version is 4 or 4.5? (and doesn't really have to be a MY 2006 car?)
Zell: Bummer - :( sorry to hear about the cable - hope you get a new one soon or they refund the money.

Just opened it up, the voltage regulator wasn't soldered properly and one of the pins has come off. I'd like them to refund me so I can get a higher-quality one. That sucks.

It looks like you will need LCM 4.5 and has to be an MY 2006 car. My car does not have the option for comfort blinker in the trace file. You can get one off of an E83 X3 I believe.

Washburn
04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Ok Thanks -
so it's ONLY v 4.5 and not 4 and 4.5 as suggested somewhere in this thread.
is there an established way to get around the mileage tamper indicator coming on when swapping LCM from a different car?

Tnhl1989
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok Thanks -
is there an established way to get around the mileage tamper indicator coming on when swapping LCM from a different car?

There is a establish way. I can provide you with the information for that if you would like. It is all about coding the LCM to match the KM and the vin of the car. I had to do that with my car after purchasing it and not realizing that there was a tamper dot.

Meric
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
Send me your lcm ill code it send it back to you just pay for the shipping :)

Washburn
04-29-2013, 04:09 PM
^ @ Meric:
That's a great option and I will def. take you up on that if I ever get hold of a 2006 LCM with Sw v4.5 :) Thanks!

cakM3
04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Ok Thanks -

software version 4.0 and 4.5 applies to one-touch triple blink. Either LCM will support this feature. I'm currently running an LCM w s/w 4.0 in my ZHP and an LCM w/ sw 4.5 in my ///M. To avoid the tamper dot all you have to do is code the "used" LCM to the VIN the car it will go into and either reset the mileage to all zeros or code in the current mileage on the car. iirc, coding the LCM mileage to zeros will force an update from the car and the LCM get's the car's current mileage from the instrument cluster. You can use PA Soft to code in the VIN and mileage to the new LCM :thumbsup

If I have to I will partially remove the LCM from my ZHP and take a pic of it showing you guys that you can use an LCM with s/w 4.0 to enable one-touch triple blink. BP also has an LCM with s/w 4.0 coded for one-touch triple blink in his ZHP thanks to me...

Washburn
04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
software version 4.0 and 4.5 applies to one-touch triple blink. Either LCM will support this feature. I'm currently running an LCM w s/w 4.0 in my ZHP and an LCM w/ sw 4.5 in my ///M.
Ok thanks for the clarification - then it's 4 and 4.5 both - I guess when you attempt to do it, it will show you the option so you know if it's possible or not. (or I might have to pull it out and see..)

I don't know what the chances of my 2005 July-ish ZHP having a v 4.0 ....

cakM3
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification - then it's 4 and 4.5 both - I guess when you attempt to do it, it will show you the option so you know if it's possible or not. (or I might have to pull it out and see..)

I don't know what the chances of my 2005 July-ish ZHP having a v 4.0 ....

I would pull out the LCM first so you can verify the s/w version of your LCM. From my research, mid 2005 models got the LCM with s/w 4.0 so it's worth a look so you don't throw money away :thumbsup This is not too hard to do....of course, I have done this several times between both of my BMWs...

If you have doubts, then go to post #30. I put out pics when I did this retrofit :thumbsup Pictures don't lie here...:)

one-touch triple blink is coded through NCS Expert. this is something BP helped me to do. PA Soft will allow you to recode the LCM so that you can code in the VIN and mileage so you don't get the dreaded tamper dot. NCS Expert allows you to do much more like code in one-touch triple blink. When I finish my college degree...I plan to do lots of research and learning so I know how to use SSS and NCS Expert....until then, I don't have the time.......so frustrating.....

Washburn
04-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks, CakM3 I remember those pics actually now - I don't have any doubts :)
I think I'll take a look at my LCM when/before I get the car coded, when Mr Zell here gets his new cable :) he's the only one close by to me who has coding abilities right now...

cakM3
04-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Thanks, CakM3 I remember those pics actually now - I don't have any doubts :)
I think I'll take a look at my LCM when/before I get the car coded, when Mr Zell here gets his new cable :) he's the only one close by to me who has coding abilities right now...

No problem, just trying to help. :thumbsup I plan to code a used LCM at the reunion meet and have this on video so we can get this posted on the forum so everyone will know how to do this. Hopefully this will be allowed....Marcus, Dane, Keith.... is this acceptable?

az3579
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Just opened it up, the voltage regulator wasn't soldered properly and one of the pins has come off. I'd like them to refund me so I can get a higher-quality one. That sucks.

It looks like you will need LCM 4.5 and has to be an MY 2006 car. My car does not have the option for comfort blinker in the trace file. You can get one off of an E83 X3 I believe.

The minimum required version is 4.0. Mine is a 4.0 and has this capability.

In addition to Meric, I'm also willing to code your LCM to your VIN and mileage once you obtain one with the correct software version, then I can enable the feature if you wish. This applies to anyone. LCM can be used or new.

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 06:03 PM
what part number on the LCM? I will order one and get this programmed

330i ZHP
04-29-2013, 06:24 PM
I figured it out - 61319133027 sw v4.6

Washburn
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Does one just need to remove the trim piece to get to the screws that u have to take out in order to remove the LCM?
Is it tricky to remove that trim piece ?

Tnhl1989
04-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Hey Zell,

So regarding your cable situation this is where I would go to get the information blue coding cable. (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1505990-My-DIS-INPA-SSS-CARSOFT-NAVCODER-Interface/page6)

As for the mods I did to the cable I only soldered pin 7 and pin 8. I haven't had a chance to read through everything however it would seem that there is more modification required to get it working with everything else. If that is the case I will mod my cable however it seems to work with everything currently besides DIS and SSS.

danewilson77
04-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Does one just need to remove the trim piece to get to the screws that u have to take out in order to remove the LCM?

Yes.

No.

wsmeyer
04-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Yes, just get a finger or something plastic under the far left side of the trim piece and pull it off. After that you'll see the two screws that hold the LCM in. Remove those and you'll be able to slide the LCM forward enough to see the sticker without unplugging it. Take a pic for future reference and put it all back together.

**** EDIT

Sniped by the master!

az3579
04-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Hey Zell,

So regarding your cable situation this is where I would go to get the information blue coding cable. (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1505990-My-DIS-INPA-SSS-CARSOFT-NAVCODER-Interface/page6)

As for the mods I did to the cable I only soldered pin 7 and pin 8. I haven't had a chance to read through everything however it would seem that there is more modification required to get it working with everything else. If that is the case I will mod my cable however it seems to work with everything currently besides DIS and SSS.

No further modding is needed for DIS and SSS functionality.

Tnhl1989
04-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Guess I would have to hit up Charlie to do some more soldering job for me :)

Dave_B
05-01-2013, 05:24 AM
Has anyone configured their car, or is it possible to have the corner lenses off but fog lights on? In other words, be able to use fog lights only?

I ask this because I have yellow fogs, and the yellow vs. amber conflict one another IMO.

Was wondering if I can turn fogs on either by not moving LCM switch to position 1, or if there's a way to move to position one to allow the fogs to come on, but not the corners?

Make sense?

Tnhl1989
05-01-2013, 05:39 AM
You can completely just turn off the corners and only have them turn on when you use the blinkers. Ill double check what other options there are for it later.

Dave_B
05-01-2013, 02:43 PM
Awesome! Thanks! I assume this is under the LCM section.

az3579
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
You can completely just turn off the corners and only have them turn on when you use the blinkers. Ill double check what other options there are for it later.

Look for SIDEMARKER_US under LSZ. Change to nicht_aktiv.
You can also enable fog lights on as daytime running lights, though I haven't tested this one.

Newjack
05-01-2013, 04:41 PM

I have my corners disabled. Love the clean look.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Washburn
05-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Is it legal to have the corners not lit at all ?
Just curious ...

Dave_B
05-02-2013, 07:44 AM
I want them on when the headlights are on. But off if I just want the fog lights on.

I'll tinker likely tonight on this and see what i come up with and report back.

derbo
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Aha! I got it! If you have a facelift car, to enable BFD Stage 3 with blinking lights on your tail lights and middle light:

BFD_SW1_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?)
aktiv

BFD_SW2_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
aktiv

BFD_ABS_STUFE2 - BFD Stage 2 activation using ABS
nicht_aktiv

BFD_SW1_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?)
nicht_aktiv

BFD_SW2_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
nicht_aktiv

BFD_ABS_STUFE3 - BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
aktiv

BLST1_BLST3 - Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well
aktiv

Basically, what you're doing is re-routing the ABS trigger to Stage 3 rather than Stage 2. So you now have blinking lights for extreme deceleration rather than just increased light surface area. When you stop hard, you will have increased surface area. When you emergency stop, you will have blinking lights. I think that gets the attention of the person behind you much better :)

So when does stage 2 activate? I'm curious cause it would be interesting to see this on the track..

Tnhl1989
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Lets get a video of the change soon Zell :)

Side note - does anyone have the e90 daten? Also what cable are you all using to work with SSS or DIS? I got all the parts to modify my blue cable as I seem on bimmerforums. Example below.

az3579
05-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Just curious ...

I'll bet you that there's no police officer that will ever pull you over for it. In fact, I'm also willing to bet that very very very few, if any, even know the law regarding that. That's not something anyone ever gets pulled over for, so I'm sure they don't even give it a thought.

Tnhl1989
05-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Just say it came like that from the factory ;P They wouldn't know unless they have a bmw.

As for getting stuff to work with SSS or DIS it would seem that I need something solder like this - FT232RL (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1505990-My-DIS-INPA-SSS-CARSOFT-NAVCODER-Interface&p=21620992#post21620992)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/Egbert_photos/232RLOBDstekker.jpg

Dave_B
05-04-2013, 10:24 AM
So I finally decided to do some coding today. Got quite a few things I wanted done.

I'm stuck however on one particular item, disabling the corner lights so that I can run foglights ONLY without corners on. I do want them on when the headlights are on. Still want to retain blinker functionality.

Unpossible with BMW scanner, or am I just a dodo bird?

derbo
05-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Just curious ...

I believe it's illegal as the reason why all cars in the USA have parking lights of amber color in the front. E90+ get away without the corner with the AE on with a tiny little orange bulb.

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/2233/img13402.jpg

derbo
05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
So I finally decided to do some coding today. Got quite a few things I wanted done.

I'm stuck however on one particular item, disabling the corner lights so that I can run foglights ONLY without corners on. I do want them on when the headlights are on. Still want to retain blinker functionality.

Unpossible with BMW scanner, or am I just a dodo bird?

Dave,

That sounds like you need to do some rewiring perhaps.

NSL_ALS_STANDLICHT is to replace the parking lights with foglights which is the only closest thing I've seen.

Dave_B
05-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Thanks Derbo. I've also heard I can do this with NCS Expert via a command. I'd rather leave all wiring stock if possible.

derbo
05-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Zell, judging by the how fast that youtube video was blinking for the BFD stage 3,

it looks like the flashers were set to wert03 somewhere. I wonder where that setting is.

Tnhl1989
05-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Success today with modding this cable to work with DIS. Next up is to code e90 and newer cars :)

Dave_B
05-06-2013, 07:50 AM
Awesome stuff!

Another BMW Scanner 1.4.0 question... can the DME be updated the latest version via this software?

My guess is that you'll have to take a car that has already had the DME updated and capture the file and then upload via BMW Scanner. Anyone had success doing this?

Tnhl1989
05-06-2013, 08:07 AM
I don't believe the scanner is able to do that.

Probably best to ask Zell for a full answer.

So after the cable modification I am now able to use DIS and SSS - Refer to modding cable. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2170-Looking-to-code-your-ZHP-Look-no-further.&p=261431#post261431)

az3579
05-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Another BMW Scanner 1.4.0 question... can the DME be updated the latest version via this software?

No. The BMW Scanner software won't do it, but WinKFP will. That requires a different cable though.

330i ZHP
05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
OK, here is my status - I have NCS Expert working.

I coded the current LCM and the new to enable bi xenon with halogen for highbeams and to NOT turn off fogs when flash to pass or high beams…this thing is going to be a space ship with high beams on…

I reactivated the euro flashers

And on the new module the three blinks - BUT, I HAVE THE TAMPER DOT with the new LCM and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of it…I tried to go in through Progman to code a replacement but I couldn’t get progman to see more than 12.4v at pin 30…even with my huge/consistent charger with various settings for volts/amps (and this charger has worked with another persons progman before)

So, I have my original LCM in there right now.

Further…

I coded key controlled roll up of windows and folding with key mirrors and changed the max speed for which I can fold the mirrors - I can now do it while on the road instead of dead stop

I need to remember to turn off NAV accept (I had it before but with my meddling tonight I lost it)

So, left to do (that I can think of) is NAV accept, tamper dot removal (and checking coding on that LCM) and then hope that none of the automatic trans coding has seeped back in…ugh….

Tampa330i
05-11-2013, 02:31 AM

I coded the current LCM and the new to enable bi xenon with halogen for highbeams and to NOT turn off fogs when flash to pass or high beams…this thing is going to be a space ship with high beams on…

I did that to mine to compensate for the poor light output on the xenon beams. Now that I have new projectors, I've gotta switch it back and I only vaguely remember the procedure. Isn't NCSExpert fun though?

az3579
05-11-2013, 04:07 AM

I reactivated the euro flashers

And on the new module the three blinks - BUT, I HAVE THE TAMPER DOT with the new LCM and couldn’t figure out how to get rid of it…I tried to go in through Progman to code a replacement but I couldn’t get progman to see more than 12.4v at pin 30…even with my huge/consistent charger with various settings for volts/amps (and this charger has worked with another persons progman before)

So, I have my original LCM in there right now.

Further…

I coded key controlled roll up of windows and folding with key mirrors and changed the max speed for which I can fold the mirrors - I can now do it while on the road instead of dead stop

I need to remember to turn off NAV accept (I had it before but with my meddling tonight I lost it)

So, left to do (that I can think of) is NAV accept, tamper dot removal (and checking coding on that LCM) and then hope that none of the automatic trans coding has seeped back in…ugh….

Bring your new LCM and we'll get rid of that stupid tamper dot with PA Soft. Much easier to use that for it.

JupiterBMW
05-12-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm just going to throw this out there. Ill have my car and my laptop at the reunion. If anyone has the spare resources, I'd love to get set up for coding. You provide the software, cable, and get it all set up on my laptop, I'll pay you. I just don't have the time/know how of what to buy, how to install, etc and I don't want to waste money buying unnecessary software or screw up my computer/car in the process.

As for my machine, it's a 2011 MacBook Air, 11". I already have VMWare running and I use Windows XP for one other task.

cakM3
05-12-2013, 03:36 AM
Jon, I use my MBA for coding. It works well for my use :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
05-12-2013, 03:49 AM
Jon, I use my MBA for coding. It works well for my use :thumbsup

Good to know, thanks Charlie. :thumbsup

cakM3
05-12-2013, 04:41 AM
Good to know, thanks Charlie. :thumbsup

I have it with my cables so you are more than welcome to check it out :thumbsup

Dave_B
05-12-2013, 05:57 AM
You guys running Fusion, or Parallels?

Either will work, just curious.

Tnhl1989
05-12-2013, 06:29 AM
You guys running Fusion, or Parallels?

Either will work, just curious.

I run fusion but either works. If you are only using ncs and not SSS and dis then that's fine. I don't think they allow you to run a vm within a vm.

derbo
05-12-2013, 12:45 PM
I run fusion but either works. If you are only using ncs and not SSS and dis then that's fine. I don't think they allow you to run a vm within a vm.

I have a 2012 MacBook Air. I use win7 running parallels. I have gt1 running in a vm inside parallels and it works :)

Tnhl, what version of DIS are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
The last 3 posts in this thread have all confused me... This is why I plan to show up with car and laptop... Hopefully one of you can make the connection between the two...

Johal E32
05-12-2013, 01:51 PM
The last 3 posts in this thread have all confused me... This is why I plan to show up with car and laptop... Hopefully one of you can make the connection between the two...

:rofl

Tnhl1989
05-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Updated list of codes :) Add this to the original post :) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aiqcxl99VUqkdHZWdlJmdUpxWXg0YTQ4amxWSmRWN 2c&usp=sharing)

So after a lot of testing and coding I have put together this spread sheet which was originally BP's. I will be updating it more as we find out more things as well. :)

330i ZHP
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
good stuff Tony

Going to try out PA Soft tomorrow and see what I can get on the LCM.

Tnhl1989
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
I can give you a hand with that later in the evening around 7pm or later if you are interested.

Tampa330i
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Updated list of codes :) Add this to the original post :) (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aiqcxl99VUqkdHZWdlJmdUpxWXg0YTQ4amxWSmRWN 2c&usp=sharing)

So after a lot of testing and coding I have put together this spread sheet. I will be updating it more as we find out more things as well. :)

This is an awesome cheat sheet, thanks Tnhl!

Tnhl1989
05-13-2013, 02:18 AM
This is an awesome cheat sheet, thanks Tnhl!

Original was BP. :)

JupiterBMW
05-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Tony is a damn wizard. I gave him remote access to my computer last night, he did magical things. Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff at the meet.

:thumbsup

az3579
05-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Tony is a damn wizard. I gave him remote access to my computer last night, he did magical things. Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff at the meet.

:thumbsup

Yes he is. Lock him in a room with padded walls, a computer, and a cable that reaches out a crack in the wall to a car outside, and he'll figure anything out.

JupiterBMW
05-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Yes he is. Lock him in a room with padded walls, a computer, and a cable that reaches out a crack in the wall to a car outside, and he'll figure anything out.

Shouldn't we need to slide some bread and water in once in a while?

az3579
05-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Shouldn't we need to slide some bread and water in once in a while?

Worry about that later, just get it done! :biggrin

Tnhl1989
05-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Jeez guys....

Dave_B
05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Love this thread and sharing of knowledge.

Question, will INPA cable work with PA Soft and vice versa? Or do I need the dedicated cable to use NCS Expert? I think that's next on the list for me to learn/tackle. Friend wants me to help code his E60 M5 6MT so I'd rather practice on my car. :P

Tnhl1989
05-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Love this thread and sharing of knowledge.

Question, will INPA cable work with PA Soft and vice versa? Or do I need the dedicated cable to use NCS Expert? I think that's next on the list for me to learn/tackle. Friend wants me to help code his E60 M5 6MT so I'd rather practice on my car. :P

You would need a dedicated cable for e46 and another for e60. This cable does work and I will be testing it more during the reunion. Currently my tests includes 2 different boards claiming to be the same cable. BP also has a different cable compare to the ones I have. After I do more testing I will confirm everything. 8332

330i ZHP
05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I coded the LCM today and no more tamper dot

But, I have a question - when I had my zhp coded years ago - one of the features was power to the windows and sunroof even after drivers door was opened and key already out. This meant I could pull the buttons for the windows up and push the button for the sunroof to close…then while they were closing, I could open door, get out, walk away (and either lock car or not).

Any idea?

JupiterBMW
05-13-2013, 03:18 PM

But, I have a question - when I had my zhp coded years ago - one of the features was power to the windows and sunroof even after drivers door was opened and key already out. This meant I could pull the buttons for the windows up and push the button for the sunroof to close…then while they were closing, I could open door, get out, walk away (and either lock car or not).

Any idea?

I'm in for this code as well... Great call Stu.

Tnhl1989
05-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I replied to Stu's email however to answer you as well Joop it's possible with NCS :)

330i ZHP
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
FH_ABSCHALTKRITERIUM Power window turn off criteria. (ece works for 1 minute) us / ece

???

330i ZHP
05-13-2013, 06:10 PM
OR

FH_NACH_TUERE_AUF Power windows after door is opened. aktiv / nicht_aktiv

???

Dave_B
05-13-2013, 07:15 PM

Any idea?

Also possible via BMW Scanner.

I forget which screen, I'd guess ZKE which is central electronics.

Something about Comfort Access I believe. You can even specify if you want the sunroof included or not in the open/close.

terraphantm
05-13-2013, 11:38 PM

Any idea?

FH_ABSCHALTKRITERIUM -> ece (keeps windows active for a minute after cutting ignition)
MAUT_N_ABBRECH_N_TUER_AUF -> aktiv (one-touch windows even with door open)

JupiterBMW
05-14-2013, 02:50 AM
FH_ABSCHALTKRITERIUM -> ece (keeps windows active for a minute after cutting ignition)
MAUT_N_ABBRECH_N_TUER_AUF -> aktiv (one-touch windows even with door open)

Ill take both of these to go please... :)

330i ZHP
05-14-2013, 06:14 AM
Thank you Terra - I thought I updated the thread last night that I activated both of those and it worked.

Terra - how is your E70 experience ( I know you have a million bonus pts level with E46). I am preparing to attack my E70 - mostly for DVD in motion and remote rear door. I already have the roll-up windows and fold-in mirrors coded.

Do you know anyone with access to ISTA

terraphantm
05-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Thank you Terra - I thought I updated the thread last night that I activated both of those and it worked.

Terra - how is your E70 experience ( I know you have a million bonus pts level with E46). I am preparing to attack my E70 - mostly for DVD in motion and remote rear door. I already have the roll-up windows and fold-in mirrors coded.

Do you know anyone with access to ISTA

I don't really have any E70 experience, but I have messed with an E65 and E60, which are somewhat similar. Remote rear door... if it's like the E65, it should be be in the HKL module. DVD in motion... I don't have the tv module in either of those cars, so I haven't messed with it much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgaZ-7A0XM

rguti153
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Anybody knows the number/code to update the dme on a zhp ? Needed ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
05-26-2013, 08:57 PM
I would just like to add that I successfully "coded" my car tonight. Of course, I had Tony tapped into my laptop with remote viewing so he could chaperone me :rofl but with about an hour of his guidance, I was able to do a couple things... Looking forward to doing more, this is fun!

Off to bed. :thumbsup

derbo
05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I would just like to add that I successfully "coded" my car tonight. Of course, I had Tony tapped into my laptop with remote viewing so he could chaperone me :rofl but with about an hour of his guidance, I was able to do a couple things... Looking forward to doing more, this is fun!

Off to bed. :thumbsup

Good stuff Jon! Before you know it you will be a guru ;)

JupiterBMW
05-26-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't know about that Derek... But while still on my coding high, I also made a purchase on eBay tonight... :shifty

derbo
05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
I don't know about that Derek... But while still on my coding high, I also made a purchase on eBay tonight... :shifty

What did you buy?!

NorCalZman
05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Jon. Will you be in SF again at some point? Would love some in person guidance about coding some cool stuff in my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Tnhl1989
05-30-2013, 09:41 PM
Found this on youtube regarding brake force display from TerraPhantm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2RhO_Dp_Dg&list=UUOeUEOMjQyoXc8arvtMAKng&index=2

JupiterBMW
05-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Derek- picked up an LCM with 4.0 software. Will use it to enable triple blink, and whenever I get around to a new windshield, I'll use it for auto lights as it has that feature as well.

At some point ill replace the face plate as well and setup rear fog lights. :)

Antone- yeah at some point. When? Who knows. Lol.

Tnhl1989
05-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Derek- picked up an LCM with 4.0 software. Will use it to enable triple blink, and whenever I get around to a new windshield, I'll use it for auto lights as it has that feature as well.

At some point ill replace the face plate as well and setup rear fog lights. :)

I think I made a discovery about auto lights and no rain sensor last night. The fact is that it doesn't actually work without a rain sensor. Does anyone have auto lights lcm without a rain sensor? Does your auto lights not turn on during the day and only when you are in a tunnel or something? I been researching on this as well and it would seem that terraphtm was the first to bring up this situation.

danewilson77
05-31-2013, 03:14 AM
Why would auto lights turn on during the day?

Tnhl1989
05-31-2013, 03:18 AM
Not sure why DW. That's why I asked you yesterday. I thought it was controlled by the led on the lcm. However it would seem that it's the rain sensor that is in control of it. I am comparing my trace file with Botond's to try to compare the differences between options that we have on our cars. I would like to gather other trace files to do some comparison and see what options are missing. The trace files I'm comparing is gm5 and lcm. If anyone has them could you send it to me?

az3579
05-31-2013, 03:18 AM
I think I made a discovery about auto lights and no rain sensor last night. The fact is that it doesn't actually work without a rain sensor. Does anyone have auto lights lcm without a rain sensor? Does your auto lights not turn on during the day and only when you are in a tunnel or something? I been researching on this as well and it would seem that terraphtm was the first to bring up this situation.

The light sensor is on the windshield piece. So, no rain sensor = no auto lights.

Without it, your "Auto" lights are on at all times.
Mine has the sensor. If I use it in auto, in tunnels the lights will turn on automatically and shut off when out. They will also turn on when the sun starts going down, way too early IMO. Then other times, like overcast with rain, sometimes they won't turn on.

They're kind of not functional enough for me to use them since I only turn them on if I really have to (when it's too dark out).

danewilson77
05-31-2013, 03:19 AM
OK. Makes sense. I have rain sensor and it works by design.

Tnhl1989
05-31-2013, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the update BP. Where is this light sensor? Photos/diagrams?

ryankokesh
05-31-2013, 04:46 AM
I think (key word there) the auto headlights can be programmed to go on when rain is detected as well. So if your auto wipers go on, your lights go on too. Could definitely be wrong about that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah the sensor on the windshield is called the RLS "rain/light sensor". It uses reflection and refraction of light through the thickness of the glass. So, the one sensor does both things. And yes, just getting the LCM isn't enough, you need the windshield with the RLS, and apparently some wiring as well.

Not easy to retrofit. Challenge accepted. :shifty

NorCalZman
05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Not a problem. I am a patient man. Gives you time to figure out all the cool codes that I will have to choose from :)

JupiterBMW
05-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Not a problem. I am a patient man. Gives you time to figure out all the cool codes that I will have to choose from :)

Honestly, I don't remember half the stuff I enabled/disabled. I just started running down the list for NCS Dummy and looking at all the possible options for each module.

Tons of things you can do.

NorCalZman
05-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Honestly, I don't remember half the stuff I enabled/disabled. I just started running down the list for NCS Dummy and looking at all the possible options for each module.

Tons of things you can do.

Didnt someone start an excel sheet with all these codes and what they do? I thought I remember that somewhere. We should make that document a sticky if we have not yet.

wsmeyer
05-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Didnt someone start an excel sheet with all these codes and what they do? I thought I remember that somewhere. We should make that document a sticky if we have not yet.

I've got this PDF

http://images.chaleur.com/BMW%20Library/E46%20Programming.pdf

Tnhl1989
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
Excel sheet should be in the thread somewhere. Could someone post it on the OP post? I used what Botond originally made and have been adding things to it as we gather more information. I'll give access to coders so they can add more to the list.

To Joop, I already got the challenge but I gave Charlie my rls a few weeks ago when he told me he was going to get it done at the dealer. I already ran out of mods to do so my next big one is the rls.

Dealer price for that sensor is 140. Wiring is 30. Windshield is 400.

Imola.ZHP
05-31-2013, 04:32 PM
So, who is in (or close to or will be passing through) Memphis that can do some coding for me? I can barter for beer and/or breakfast/lunch/dinner. I ain't got time to learn this stuff.

JupiterBMW
05-31-2013, 05:36 PM
So, who is in (or close to or will be passing through) Memphis that can do some coding for me? I can barter for beer and/or breakfast/lunch/dinner. I ain't got time to learn this stuff.

You were just in Florida... :shifty

Tnhl1989
05-31-2013, 05:39 PM

Get the stuff and I'll do it remotely :P

JupiterBMW
05-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Hours and hours watching someone else play on your computer screen from thousands of miles away...

"Get the stuff and I'll do it remotely" he says.... :shifty

No seriously, Tony did exactly this. And even though my internet was flaky at first, and he was doing it remotely and through my virtual Windows machine on my Mac, he still did it... Pure wizardry.... :biggrin

cakM3
06-01-2013, 05:15 AM
... I gave Charlie my rls a few weeks ago

Tony, you can have your rls back when I get back on Friday. You can stop by to pick it up :thumbsup

Tnhl1989
06-01-2013, 05:17 AM
So far Charlie :(

It's okay I'll try to source another one out first :)

JupiterBMW
06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Well, a little morning cruising with my brother... While doing some photos, I had him take some vids of brake force display... Yep, it all works! :thumbsup Thanks to BP and Tony for the help with that.

NorCalZman
06-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Well, a little morning cruising with my brother... While doing some photos, I had him take some vids of brake force display... Yep, it all works! :thumbsup Thanks to BP and Tony for the help with that.

Post vids!

Imola.ZHP
06-01-2013, 09:51 AM
You were just in Florida... :shifty

haha, this is true, but I flew in (and out) on Delta and while I was there we had a Lincoln Navigator that we named Bertha T Hayes.

This might be a possibility in the future, thanks for offering!

Hours and hours watching someone else play on your computer screen from thousands of miles away...

"Get the stuff and I'll do it remotely" he says.... :shifty

No seriously, Tony did exactly this. And even though my internet was flaky at first, and he was doing it remotely and through my virtual Windows machine on my Mac, he still did it... Pure wizardry.... :biggrin

Thats awesome!

Post vids!

x2!

JupiterBMW
06-01-2013, 11:22 AM
My brother has the vids on his Galaxy S3, but he's out with friends at a drift show right now, so when he gets back I'll have him email them to me...

JupiterBMW
06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Vids as requested... Yes, I'm a little disappointed by the vertical vids, but whatever, they'll do. Very happy with the BFD though... :thumbsup

Stage 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuRTvJGOgLA

Stage 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9segIjAwVNU

Stage 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzws6pQphWE

Tnhl1989
06-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Sweet send me your trace file and I'll update with what you have for settings :)

ryankokesh
06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Noice!

kayger12
06-02-2013, 05:57 AM
So after BP was nice enough to code a bunch of stuff for me at Gruppefest, I've got to say that my favorite by far is not wasting 100 gallons of windshield washer fluid and getting same all over my hood when I clean my windshield.

Deactivated headlight washers, ftmfw!

Imola.ZHP
06-02-2013, 07:56 AM
Vids as requested... Yes, I'm a little disappointed by the vertical vids, but whatever, they'll do. Very happy with the BFD though... :thumbsup

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Thanks for sharing. I think stage 2 is all I want; I have a habit (in any car I drive) of hitting the flashers if I have to brake abruptly. I wouldn't want to get relaxed in my e46 and not do it in other cars I drive.

NorCalZman
06-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for sharing. I think stage 2 is all I want; I have a habit (in any car I drive) of hitting the flashers if I have to brake abruptly. I wouldn't want to get relaxed in my e46 and not do it in other cars I drive.

I have never even thought of hitting the flasher button in an emergency situation. Hmm interesting.

NorCalZman
06-02-2013, 09:15 AM

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Thanks for the videos. If I read my owners manual correctly, our sedans do stage 2 already. Stage 3 looks really cool. I want it! :-)

kayger12
06-02-2013, 09:18 AM
Stage 3 is awesome. BP coded in for me in Virginia.

Imola.ZHP
06-02-2013, 09:51 AM
I have never even thought of hitting the flasher button in an emergency situation. Hmm interesting.

I think one of my parents, or an aunt, uncle, etc did it once when we had to break abruptly around driving age. I've been doing it ever since.

JupiterBMW
06-02-2013, 10:41 AM
So after BP was nice enough to code a bunch of stuff for me at Gruppefest, I've got to say that my favorite by far is not wasting 100 gallons of windshield washer fluid and getting same all over my hood when I clean my windshield.

Deactivated headlight washers, ftmfw!

True enthusiasts don't use windshield washers, or wipers. Then you have uneven water spots. Geeesh, do we have to teach you everything! :rofl

Washburn
06-02-2013, 10:44 AM
OMG JELLY OF CODED ZHPs - Gretchen has NOTHING coded :( I need to take some trips and visit the family members :)

kayger12
06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
True enthusiasts don't use windshield washers, or wipers. Then you have uneven water spots. Geeesh, do we have to teach you everything! :rofl

Funny you should mention, I typically will only hit the washer fluid when I know I'm within a day or two of a wash.

We are all diseased, lol.

Sent from the Last Next Best Thing.

JupiterBMW
06-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Funny you should mention, I typically will only hit the washer fluid when I know I'm within a day or two of a wash.

We are all diseased, lol.

Sent from the Last Next Best Thing.

Ok, just making sure. We can't have a boss that is only partially infected... :rofl

Tnhl1989
06-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Even more so rain-x would allow nothing to stick. Problem solve.

JupiterBMW
06-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Even more so rain-x would allow nothing to stick. Problem solve.

Well yes, of course... I Rain-x ALL glass. That is obviously the best choice.

328ioc
06-02-2013, 01:34 PM

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Do want stage 3.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
06-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Going to attempt another coding session tonight. On the list...

1. I set up window/sunroof control even with door open and key out, but I don't have auto-up on the door when its open, so I have to go back and fix that.

2. Replace 59*F and 91*F with LO and HI respectively on the thermostat display. My OCD does NOT like seeing those odd ball numbers.

This time I will attempt to make a list of things I change so we know what items do work.

Dave_B
06-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Interesting on the Brake Force stages.

Was this coded with NCS Expert, or PA Soft?

If the later, what settings?

Tnhl1989
06-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Interesting on the Brake Force stages.

Was this coded with NCS Expert, or PA Soft?

If the later, what settings?

All ncs :)

Dave_B
06-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Then NCS it is up next on the list. :)

Pip
06-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Paging resident coding masters. I have PA Soft and I'm trying to get it to work with my Win7 laptop. I am using Tony's walk through to get it up and running. I thought I had completed the necessary steps but then when I try and run PA Soft I get this screen:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/9034531151_65c397769c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71101842@N08/9034531151/)
PASoft (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71101842@N08/9034531151/) by seanpippin1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/71101842@N08/), on Flickr

Has anyone had this issue before? It seems like the driver portion of Tony's walk through is fine, but the adapter isn't being seen.

wsmeyer
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Paging resident coding masters. I have PA Soft and I'm trying to get it to work with my Win7 laptop. I am using Tony's walk through to get it up and running. I thought I had completed the necessary steps but then when I try and run PA Soft I get this screen:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/9034531151_65c397769c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71101842@N08/9034531151/)
PASoft (http://www.flickr.com/photos/71101842@N08/9034531151/) by seanpippin1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/71101842@N08/), on Flickr

Has anyone had this issue before? It seems like the driver portion of Tony's walk through is fine, but the adapter isn't being seen.

Hopefully your using 32bit W7?

I've got that setup running without doing anything special.

Any exclamation points in Device Manager?

ryankokesh
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Do you see the cable listed in the windows system devices list?

Pip
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Hopefully your using 32bit W7?

I've got that setup running without doing anything special.

Any exclamation points in Device Manager?

I'm running 64bit.

Yes I still have exclamation points in the Device Manager. I'll have to play more tonight and update. Is Win7 64bit an issue?

Pip
06-13-2013, 12:18 PM
Do you see the cable listed in the windows system devices list?

No I do not. I'll update later when trying one more thing.

wsmeyer
06-13-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm running 64bit.

Yes I still have exclamation points in the Device Manager. I'll have to play more tonight and update. Is Win7 64bit an issue?

You'll need 64bit drivers, I've never run across them but they might exist.

Pip
06-13-2013, 12:37 PM
I just checked and it seems (haven't actually looked at the driver details) but Tony did provide the 64bit drivers. I probably just botched a step because my laptop USB ports no longer work.

Pip
06-13-2013, 12:39 PM
I just checked and it seems (haven't actually looked at the driver details) but Tony did provide the 64bit drivers. I probably just botched a step because my laptop USB ports no longer work.

Edit: Just restored USB functionality by having Windows update the drivers automatically.

Tnhl1989
06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
I'll be home in 15. Give me a call in a bit. :)

Pip
06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Tony thanks so much for the help. I was able to get it working within minutes on my personal laptop. I hate this machine because it normally doesn't hold a charge, but it's probably better. I guess my work laptop had some security blocks or something.

It's probably better I'm using personal anyways. I still might get in touch with you to help walk through simple stuff in PA Soft :)

Tnhl1989
06-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Regarding PA soft, I would say look through this thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=935613.

wsmeyer
06-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Hey Tony, do you have any experience setting up programming for an E70 X5? I've (supposedly) got the right cable but I can't seem to get it to talk to the car.

Tnhl1989
06-14-2013, 08:01 PM
If pins 7&8 are together it's not right. I don't know what/how to code the e70 since I haven't tried. I assume its like coding e90s. Should ask people with e90 or search their forums.

Tnhl1989
06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Just a small update but I got Ncsexpert to work with e90 cars as well. I can provide more information on everything if interested.

330i ZHP
06-16-2013, 11:31 AM
I have used NCS to code my E70

My next goal is getting more information on the control module abbreviations - they are drastically different than e46 AND MANY MORE OF THEM

JupiterBMW
06-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Maybe I'll order the stuff to build an F series cable... Ugh...

derbo
06-16-2013, 06:18 PM
I have used NCS to code my E70

My next goal is getting more information on the control module abbreviations - they are drastically different than e46 AND MANY MORE OF THEM

Tell me about it. Post e46 has a ton of new modules.

Imola.ZHP
06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Just a small update but I got Ncsexpert to work with e90 cars as well. I can provide more information on everything if interested.

Awesome, I have a close friend with an e90 that would probably be interested in coding. After I get my suspension work done I'm going to start into this stuff...

JupiterBMW
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Successfully coded a few more things tonight... My OCD made me want to change the following items...

GT LAENDERVARIANTE_GT- Its the country selection for the NAV unit.. Set to ece (Europe) it removes the nav accept screen. :)
IHK DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH- Display “HI” instead of number on hottest setting
IHK DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW- Display “LO” instead of number on coolest setting

NorCalZman
06-17-2013, 09:26 PM
GT LAENDERVARIANTE_GT- Its the country selection for the NAV unit.. Set to eve (Europe) it removes the nav accept screen

Because Europeans have common sense. Haha. So that's the only thing coding the nav to Europe does?

Man I hope you come to SF sometime soon. I want help with all these coded goodies.

JupiterBMW
06-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Because Europeans have common sense. Haha. So that's the only thing coding the nav to Europe does?

Man I hope you come to SF sometime soon. I want help with all these coded goodies.

It actually changed the scale a little bit too, now the small increments (less than one mile) read in yards instead of feet, but that's all I've noticed.

Dave_B
06-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Just wanted to share this with you Vert owners.

I've been asked by several to code their verts to close the top via remote. I was told that the local BMW shop will NOT code this due to some sort of safety or regulations.

After our local CCA meet, one of the guys there and I were talking about it. 10 minutes to the house, and 5 minutes of his car later and we've got it all working.

For those with PA soft, you can do it via Convenience Close (remote) Tested and this worked perfectly.

If any of you have questions or want me to make a video, I've got 2 more to do in the coming weeks.

Tnhl1989
06-18-2013, 11:05 AM

I've been asked by several to code their verts to close the top via remote. I was told that the local BMW shop will NOT code this due to some sort of safety or regulations.

After our local CCA meet, one of the guys there and I were talking about it. 10 minutes to the house, and 5 minutes of his car later and we've got it all working.

For those with PA soft, you can do it via Convenience Close (remote) Tested and this worked perfectly.

If any of you have questions or want me to make a video, I've got 2 more to do in the coming weeks.

Yeah too many DOT rules and regulations. It should be a standard for all the cars honestly. Last thing you would want is a rained in car. I also got it working via ncsexpert as well. :)

wsmeyer
06-18-2013, 11:13 AM

I've been working on a device that will make it so that once you start the top opening or closing you don't have to hold down the button, it will complete on it's own.

johnrando
06-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Very kind of you Dave. William coded our cars so that "close" works with the key fob, you just have to hold it. I definitely recommend it to others if you don't have it, so take Dave up on it. For non vert owners, you can also close the top from the outside by holding it in the lock position in the driver door keyhole but that's not as convenient as this.

JupiterBMW
06-19-2013, 03:00 AM
Something else I noticed. When I coded my nav unit to the ECE configuration, the "emergency call" option on the main menu screen went away. Just something else to think about.

johnrando
06-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Would that only work if you had BMW Assist?

Stu
07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Put up a definition list of stuff.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=995668

johnrando
07-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Nice Stew.

JupiterBMW
09-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Another small item to add to the list.

PIN_20_ALS_NSL - OUTPUT PIN 20 AS REAR FOG LIGHTS.... This is the line item I used to turn on rear fogs. Of course, a Euro LKM faceplate is needed with the rear foglight button.

derbo
09-14-2013, 09:53 AM
ALSZ
BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Crash warning blinker impulse speed.
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK wert_01 – wert_04 Hazard lights impulse speed.
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ aktiv / nicht_aktiv Fog lights turn off when high beams are on.
SIDEMARKER_US aktiv / nicht_aktiv US mode sidemarker
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01 / wert_02 wert_01=bixenon and halogen together.
BFD_SW1_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 1?
BFD_SW2_STUFE2 - aktiv BFD Stage 2 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW1_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor
BFD_SW2_STUFE3 - nicht_aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using Deceleration Sensor (Sensor 2?)
BFD_ABS_STUFE3 - aktiv BFD Stage 3 activation using ABS sensor
BLST1_BLST3 - aktiv Outer tail lights blink during Stage 3 as well
GM5
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB aktiv Comfort close remote – vert top, sunroof
SPIEGELMEMORY_GM aktiv Allows mirror to be adjusted while in reverse
MAUT_N_ABBRECH_N_TUER_AUF aktiv Windows continue to open/close when you open the door
MEMORY_SP_ABKLAPPEN_GM aktiv / nicht_aktiv adjust rear view backup tilt
VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H aktiv / nicht_aktiv Autolock when moving
VERRIEGELUNGSSCHEWELLE 8_km/h auto-lock (4 8 12 20 24 28) Speed of Autolock
CYCL_TI_BLK driemal One Touch Indicators, triple blink

IHK
DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “HIGH” instead of number on hottest setting.
DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW aktiv / nicht_aktiv Display “LOW” instead of number on coolest setting.
HHS_AUTOMATIK aktiv / nicht_aktiv Auto Rear Window Defroster

EWS
PARK/NEUTRAL_EINGANG aktiv / nicht_aktiv Start in park/neutral only.

This is the stuff I had edited on my car.

Anyone have success with the SP Data above v46?

328ioc
09-14-2013, 03:46 PM
The very last one does that mean that even with a manual the car will be able to realize it's in gear and not start?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Hornung418
09-14-2013, 07:14 PM
There's so much potential on the car. What program did you use to do these?

GS3 + TT4

wsmeyer
09-14-2013, 07:25 PM
The very last one does that mean that even with a manual the car will be able to realize it's in gear and not start?

No. There's no sensor on the shifter or in the transmission to tell the ECU if the car is in gear so what they did instead is make it so that you have to have the clutch pedal depressed to start the car.

Setting PARK/NEUTRAL_EINGANG to nicht_aktiv will bypass the clutch pedal check. I think most people do this so they can adjust there clutch stop out farther.

330i ZHP
09-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I just installed the FRM (Footwell Module in X5, controls lighting and other things) - the LED headlights work. With low beams it is the four upper portions and with high beams it is upper and lower portions of all four bowls.

I didn’t start the car - and I didn’t code…but no complaints from the car so far (without starting and no coding).

YAYYAYAYAYYAYYAYAYAYAYYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

I will code the VO/FA in the am (copying the VO *vehicle order* from the CAS to the FRM) and the truck will be 100% done

330i ZHP
09-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I knew the low beams were bright - but with them all on...xenons don't hold a chance against the brightness and WHITE

derbo
09-14-2013, 09:54 PM

GS3 + TT4

NCSexpert :)

JupiterBMW
09-15-2013, 03:29 AM

GS3 + TT4

I too use NCSExpert. I've coded a lot of the little things that Derek mentioned, and some other small items as well. The beauty of running NCSDummy alongside is that you can just read stuff and find out a lot more of what you can do. I've forgotten a lot of the things I've coded.

Avetiso
09-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I just installed the FRM (Footwell Module in X5, controls lighting and other things) - the LED headlights work. With low beams it is the four upper portions and with high beams it is upper and lower portions of all four bowls.

I didn’t start the car - and I didn’t code…but no complaints from the car so far (without starting and no coding).

I will code the VO/FA in the am (copying the VO *vehicle order* from the CAS to the FRM) and the truck will be 100% done

Dude! We're going to need some pictures!

Sent from a junkyard via GS4.

derbo
09-15-2013, 10:13 AM
I too use NCSExpert. I've coded a lot of the little things that Derek mentioned, and some other small items as well. The beauty of running NCSDummy alongside is that you can just read stuff and find out a lot more of what you can do. I've forgotten a lot of the things I've coded.

I've been using ncs expert and a program called BMW-coding.exe that automates a lot of things. Drop down list for modules and translations and quick edit and prompts to delete the .man on exit.

You might like the tool Joop or Justin. I used to manually do it with a text editor.

JupiterBMW
09-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Yeah, NCS Dummy is what I use, it makes it pretty easy. I typically don't do much other than what I'm comfortable doing as I don't want to screw anything up. :)

NorCalZman
09-15-2013, 01:14 PM
I've been using ncs expert and a program called BMW-coding.exe that automates a lot of things. Drop down list for modules and translations and quick edit and prompts to delete the .man on exit.

You might like the tool Joop or Justin. I used to manually do it with a text editor.

you know...if you would ever be willing to let me look over your shoulder while you do this kind of stuff I would love to. I learn best by seeing it done then trying myself. I have all the equipment to do it (laptop, cable, reader), just too scared to try.

derbo
09-15-2013, 02:24 PM
For sure man. Unforunately my coworker went on vacation and I'm going to have a busy two weeks at min.

NorCalZman
09-15-2013, 02:26 PM
For sure man. Unforunately my coworker went on vacation and I'm going to have a busy two weeks at min.

Yeah that's fine with me. No rush. I've lived this long without the fancy options like the 3 brake light stages, etc.

az3579
09-15-2013, 03:22 PM
I knew the low beams were bright - but with them all on...xenons don't hold a chance against the brightness and WHITE

Any chance I could swing by one weekend and check out the light in person? :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Imola.ZHP
09-15-2013, 07:26 PM

Awesome! Glad it all worked out, now we need some pics!

330i ZHP
09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
BP - if you are in the area, sure, some on by

Low beams, coronas (angel eyes) and side marker

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd62/smoulton0204/E70%20X5%20M/led120-20Copy_zps4bd58507.jpg

az3579
09-16-2013, 03:46 AM
You know, there's a pair of LED foglights for sale on TRS' website that would PERFECTLY match your LED headlights, Stu...
They're also dirt cheap compared to OEM new pricing! $125 for the pair...

These are for the X6, I don't know if they're the same as X5:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=43723

330i ZHP
09-16-2013, 07:45 AM
thanks

the x5m (and x6m) do not have any provision for fogs

Imola.ZHP
09-16-2013, 06:12 PM
You know, there's a pair of LED foglights for sale on TRS' website that would PERFECTLY match your LED headlights, Stu...
They're also dirt cheap compared to OEM new pricing! $125 for the pair...

These are for the X6, I don't know if they're the same as X5:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=43723

Wow, am I seeing things or are is the actual shape of the lights pretty similar to our M-Tech II fog's? It would be cool if one could take them apart, marry M-Tech II lenses to them and install them in a ZHP!

thanks

the x5m (and x6m) do not have any provision for fogs

Honestly I dislike that BMW did away with fog lamps on "M" vehicles, do they not think they will ever encounter any fog? Idiots.

330i ZHP
09-16-2013, 08:18 PM
room for larger INTAKE and COOLING vents...lol

330i ZHP
09-16-2013, 08:18 PM
oh yea, and "added weight" per ///M Gmbh

330i ZHP
09-16-2013, 08:28 PM
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/natebrick1/IMG_1985_zps802a9fbd.jpg

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/natebrick1/IMG_1987_zpsca603fa9.jpg

LED on passenger side and halogen on driver side (NOT MINE)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u71/mikikuki7/IMG_8649.jpg

Imola.ZHP
09-17-2013, 03:21 PM
room for larger INTAKE and COOLING vents...lol

Right, as if there isn't enough room there already. Maybe the entire front end should just be an intake and cooling vent, lol.

oh yea, and "added weight" per ///M Gmbh

Sure, why not scrap A/C, navigation and HUD too then? lol

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad134/natebrick1/IMG_1985_zps802a9fbd.jpg

These pics make them look pretty big, maybe they wouldn't have a chance at all of fitting on a ZHP. So nice though!