PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Refresh Needed

webster
01-11-2019, 11:54 AM
Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but hope all are doing well.

I have a loud and annoying "clunk" going on in the front drivers side suspension. I have also noticed a sharp pull to the right when the steering wheel is at 12 oclock. During my most recent oil change when I had the car up on ramps, I got under there to inspect. It definitely looks, how should I say, well aged...it may be original. Currently at 177+k miles.

So I am looking at a suspension refresh kit and have all but settled on this FCP euro package:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-8-piece-control-arm-kit-e46-zhp8piecekit-l

I would like to upgrade struts as well (PO put some Monroe junk on) but they are so new (less than 15k miles) that I don't know if I can justify the purchase at this point in time.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Want to make sure I'm not missing anything for a basic front suspension refresh.

Thanks!

johnrando
01-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Hey. Welcome back! Not a suspension guy, but this looks good. Someone else might chime in. Maybe replace the monroe's with an OEM set that someone is selling cuz they bought an aftermarket one. GL!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John in VA
01-11-2019, 06:10 PM
LEMFÖRDER, Moog & TRW make some good parts so that package is a good choice. There might be some problems with the installation of the strut on the "clunk" side - loose top nut, bad upper strut bearing. There are a number of suspension refresh threads in this section. Have you checked these out? Good luck!
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20918-FCP-Euro-Suspension-Refresh-Kit
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?16182-Help-with-Suspension-Refresh-at-50k-miles-10-years
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20910-Time-for-a-refresh
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?20101-ZHP-Coupe-Suspension-Maintenance-Lower-Control-Arm-Brakes-and-Shocks-(Front-and-Rear)
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?21127-Performance-Suspension

joeybananaz18
01-11-2019, 06:29 PM
Welcome back my OG brotha from anotha mutha. I follow curves’ refresh thread for anything I may need.

I went with the koni FSDs (when they were still FSDs) and I absolutely love them. I’m pretty sure the new red ones would be basically the same.

How is the OG doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
01-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Since you are going to be there, I suggest replacing the front shocks as well. If you decide to go the OEM route (Sachs), check the prices in rock auto.com

webster
01-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys. I think I may do FSD for the front struts and leave the Monroe shocks out back. I had FSDs on my old ZHP and really liked em.

I know for sure the end links and tie rods need to be replaced which is why I like that kit I linked.

Otherwise she's doing well. Continues to consume oil, but I've all but accepted it at this point. I just top it up with Rotella when it gets low.

tomnobes
01-13-2019, 06:33 PM
Thanks guys. I think I may do FSD for the front struts and leave the Monroe shocks out back. I had FSDs on my old ZHP and really liked em.

I know for sure the end links and tie rods need to be replaced which is why I like that kit I linked.

Otherwise she's doing well. Continues to consume oil, but I've all but accepted it at this point. I just top it up with Rotella when it gets low.While I have yet to do this myself, the "02 pilot mod" seems to be fairly promising for oil consumption issues.. Not sure if any other members can vouch for or against this but worth taking a look at. Just Google it and a few videos and threads should pop up

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DeathTrap
01-14-2019, 05:59 AM
02Pilot Mod does work. It reduced my consumption quite a bit. Don't have the exact numbers on hand.

tomnobes
01-14-2019, 08:07 AM
02Pilot Mod does work. It reduced my consumption quite a bit. Don't have the exact numbers on hand.Good to hear! Quick question.. Did you put a check valve on the ccv hose like what the 50skid did in his video? Reason I ask is I already did my ccv system a few months ago and don't wanna take it all apart again.. Thanks

webster
01-14-2019, 02:56 PM
just read up on the 02Pilot mod. seems like a nice fix, but i am nowhere near experienced enough to try a DIY like that on my own. anyone want to come to Houston and help? :)

DeathTrap
01-15-2019, 06:18 AM
Good to hear! Quick question.. Did you put a check valve on the ccv hose like what the 50skid did in his video? Reason I ask is I already did my ccv system a few months ago and don't wanna take it all apart again.. Thanks

Nope, simply ran a vacuum line from the rear of the manifold to the CCV. I no longer have that setup as I went the GAS route, but it was very easy and quick. I wouldn't worry too much about oil getting sucked into your intake manifold if you just want to have a quick test run to see if it makes any difference.

webster
03-20-2019, 12:09 PM
so i finally got around to purchasing parts. went with FSD's up front/Koni yellows out back (couldn't find a complete FSD kit...weird). went with the FCPEuro refresh kit linked in the 1st post above.

question: i have the springs from my old zhp which have about 75k miles on them. current springs are believed to be original (178k miles). is there any benefit to swapping in the springs with lower miles? it's a "lifetime" part right? not sure if it would be a good preventive measure...

ZHPizza
03-20-2019, 12:43 PM
so i finally got around to purchasing parts. went with FSD's up front/Koni yellows out back (couldn't find a complete FSD kit...weird). went with the FCPEuro refresh kit linked in the 1st post above.

question: i have the springs from my old zhp which have about 75k miles on them. current springs are believed to be original (178k miles). is there any benefit to swapping in the springs with lower miles? it's a "lifetime" part right? not sure if it would be a good preventive measure...

Did you look for the Koni Special Actives? They're the new FSD's. I don't know how well the different front/rear will ride. Yellows are nice and tight all the time while FSD's will let the big bumps fully compress the suspension.

No need to change out the springs unless you want to. They only fail if they rust and break.

webster
03-20-2019, 12:58 PM
i did not look at the actives. i figure the front suspension compliance from the FSDs is more of a benefit while the rear affords a bit more stiffness since the front is what bears the brunt of most impacts. i dunno it was kind of an impulse decision lol. i could be wrong/crazy.

Vas
03-20-2019, 04:36 PM
I would try to match the same shocks front and rear.

If you can't then go koni yellow or koni active

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

holyc0w
03-20-2019, 07:53 PM

I would recommend also changing the shock mounts (plus reinforcement plates if concerned with mushrooming).

webster
03-20-2019, 08:59 PM
Yes I bought the full mounting kit and hardware including the mounts and reinforcement plates.

Vas why do you say that?

johnrando
03-22-2019, 06:16 AM
Well, you have to take off the springs anyway so what not go with lower miles if they are the same?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

charter21p5
03-23-2019, 08:50 PM
I would recommend FSDs on all 4 corners. ECSTUNING has them available. I just installed them in my ZHP. They ride better than a new 3 series.

webster
04-10-2019, 02:50 PM
well in the essence of time i went ahead and installed the FSDs in the front and Yellows in the rear. i am happy with the outcome. car handles super tight and body motion is controlled 100x better than the cheapo Monroe shocks that were on the car before. i can tell slightly that the rear is a bit firmer than the front but it doesn't bother me as the difference is negligible. i kind of wish i had gotten some springs like the H&R touring cup but overall it's minor. i'm happy with the setup.