PDA

View Full Version : Replace amp the easy way

jvr826
04-15-2011, 08:33 AM
This guy at Fanatics, highly respected individual who has done a boatload of custom projects over the years, has a hand-made injection molded wiring harness that allows you to bypass the factory amp and wire in your own without fussing around.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793352

When I did my project years ago, this connector wasn't (and still isn't) available to purchase from BMW, Tyco or Seimens. I bought a used amp and cannibalized it to do mine. Technic's solution is cleaner and about the same money, minus all the hard work I had to do!

Oli77
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
While I agree that this is very neat, practical, plug-n-play and all, when or if I change ampflifier, I will probably just solder my way through it.
What is it 20-30 wires max?

bullfrogs_M3
04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
F me sideways! :( Where was this when I did my speaker overhaul 2 years ago argh!!!!!!!!!!

jvr826
04-16-2011, 07:18 AM
I know, right? I disassembled an amp and had to figure out all of the connections to fabricate my own connector.

Oli, some of us don't want to hack the wiring harness apart. I went to great lengths to avoid doing that so some day when the car is sold, I can go back to the stock sound system easily.

Oli77
04-16-2011, 07:28 AM
I dig what you are saying and, like you, when I sell my car I always think that I will replace back to original system (When I used to put equalizers and amplifiers and home made boxes in my cars in the 80's). But every time, I sold them "as is" with the sound mods I had placed in.

Perhaps this is because these types of mods are the only ones I am comfortable with. I am not much of a DiYer when it comes to mechanical things. But a I can fix a wobbly nob on the head unit.

mimalmo
04-16-2011, 11:00 AM
That's a slick piece.