PDA

View Full Version : Replacing ONE rear tire?

Dathaeus
12-27-2019, 10:09 PM
Ok so this stupidity with these Hankook Ventus 2 tires continue...

So I guess I got this tiny nail in the tire, flat, started to bubble and guy says I should not fix this because it can blow on the highway or something...

So I just got a used crap tire for $52 because I dont want to keep these ventus 2 for any longer than I need, and they are past 50% of their wear life I think, but I didnt wanna spend $600 on tires when these still have half the life left in them, so I decided on the used tire replacement.

I had to get 245 because they didnt have any 255's.

Now is there any downside to this process? I also got an alignment right before, and the car is driving smooth and fine now, no vibration or shimmy, nothing. Believe me, not the way I like to do things, but I hate also wasting money, and not like I am going to the track tomorrow, although I am tempted to go drifting or something and wear these POS out.

ELCID86
12-28-2019, 02:45 AM
My dad always told me “ never scrimp on tires”. I follow his advice. Bite the bullet and put good rubber on there. Not sure where you live, but there are some good all season options available.

fredo
12-28-2019, 07:37 AM
I was told tires should be replaced in pairs. So you may want to check into two new rear tires sometime soon.

As a temp workaround, I don't see an issue if you drive for a little while with mismatched rear tires.

Dathaeus
12-28-2019, 10:39 PM
Did a little "test" on the replacement tonight in the rain and it felt ok, very slight vibration at about 55-65mph, intermittently, and since I rarely drive at that speed, and traction seemed ok, I'll wait about 6 months and get all 4 replaced I think.

Although if the rears always wear faster, but I'll just replace those first...

I'll def be getting the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 this time around.