PDA

View Full Version : Affiliate Advertising

Marcus-SanDiego
11-15-2010, 07:05 AM
I posted an announcement about advertising in the "General Announcements" forum.

You can talk about that post here (since I do not allow for comments in the General Announcements forum).

danewilson77
11-15-2010, 08:16 AM
Do you plan on taking members suggestions on possible vendor support? This is after all, the people's forum.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Dane, two things.

One, I always welcome suggestions.

Two, even if we want them (particular sponsors), they may not want us.

Given this site's age, and given that we don't have a lot of members yet, ZHP Mafia has no pull.

All in good time, though.

But, please, do recommend who you'd like to do business with -- and see sponsoring this forum.

danewilson77
11-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I have talked to ecstuning (Joe)-Not in an official or committed capacity......and if you would like me to further discuss this with them...I can.

This company has always offered me excellent customer service, and I think outside of rare circumstances, is very rock solid.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Dane, will let you know.

Washburn
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM
I think constructive advertising by affiliates can be a great asset to a site like this.

However, one thing i have noticed on the other 2 sites is, anytime a member posts a question in any section, regarding some mechanical cosmetic, or whatever issue, instead of it turning into a discussion of suggestions and help among members, it turns into an advertising fiasco, with affiliated advertisers popping int with HUGE pics of their products with comments like " We have that - buy this", or "why do that? here, we have it, buy it for this ridiculous price" etc etc, without end, even before other regular members can even get in a single post. it can become VERY annoying, esp. when the "reply" from sponsors doesn't even address the original topic...I have seen many comments to the nature of "for god's sake, can't the sponsor stay out of this for 1 second, and let me get some answers" from some OPs, in both E46fanatics and Bimmerfest. The best example I remember is when one member was looking for some DIY info (not products) on modifying the interior trim of his car, a sponsor popped in with a huge pic of some type of bumper and "why not get this?" (not exact words, but you know what I mean), or when someone was asking some viscosity information of a certain SPECIFIC oil, the sponsor came with "buy our OEM oil change kit" etc etc...

I think it's great when sponsors make suggestions when it's RELEVANT and constructive, when the thread/post is of the nature of "Where can I buy XYZ product for my car?" which directly requires attention of the said sponsors. but not when it's OT and blatant disturbance of a thread/post just to shove their stuff under your nose. When they have a banner on a site, that IS their advertising already! - Members can click and browse the site and find what they need. No need to intrude upon threads in addition to that, IMO

I just hope that type of "behavior" won't be the case here...
Just a bit concerned.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Washburn, that won't happen here. I personally hate that tactic as well. I have been around the various forums for about 10 years. My guess is that I have seen more of it than you have.

If we ever get sponsors on this site, that thread spamming will not be tolerated. It's a feeding frenzy on some of the other sites.

Don't be concerned.

Signed,

A forum warrior who has seen it all

Washburn
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks, Marcus. :)
I have no doubt you have more forum experiences, although I did join my 1st forum about 13-14 yrs ago, and have been a member of about 8-9 different forums (automobile and otherwise), BUT i have never had any administration/moderator roles (just member), so I am sure your experience is much more extensive.
I am glad you have already given thought to the concern I had.