PDA

View Full Version : Rear View Mirror DashCam

Collegestudentwithazhp
10-21-2020, 12:09 PM
Hello Everyone - just bought a dash cam that clips onto the existing rear view mirror. Was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to run the wiring from the rear view mirror down to the front cigarette adaptor, and another wire across to the rear window where I plan to mount the rear view camera. Would really appreciate some advice since this is my first time doing this.

Here is the rear view camera mirror I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/VanTop-Waterproof-Enhanced-Starvis-Assistance/dp/B07XZ1D226/ref=cm_cr_srp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Thanks!!

ZHPizza
10-21-2020, 02:21 PM
Dang that thing's pretty sweet. Do you need to use the cigarette lighter or do you just need a 12v source? I'm guessing the latter, and in that case you can just tap into a switched (or always hot like the cigarette lighter) 12v wire behind the sunroof panel. There's several to choose from with all of the prewiring for phone/homelink/etc. Then you could run the wire to the rear along the roof, down the c pillar into the trunk. Wiring a backup cam on these cars is a task, but totally worth it.

t.er
10-21-2020, 09:27 PM
Yup, mine is soldered in parallel to either the sunroof or homelink power. Usually these cameras pull so little current that you can get away with that, without changing the fuse

Collegestudentwithazhp
10-22-2020, 06:43 AM
Thanks! Did you have a rear camera mounted as well? If so, did you run the wire from the roof to the back window, or did you go from the bottom floor by the door jam?

t.er
10-22-2020, 08:29 AM
I thought about running a backup cam, but for now I just left it, as the one I currently have is a bit big and would interfere with my power rear sunshade. Hard to say having not done it but I would think running it along the headliner would be easier - you can snake the wire and have it pop out near the 3rd brake light cover.