PDA

View Full Version : M3 cluster warm up lights

BADCLOWN
06-11-2021, 03:09 PM
Does ANYBODY know if it’s possible to get the warm up lights operational when this cluster is swapped into our cars?

I’ve searched around since having mine swapped in along with asking a few people and nobody seems to know or has figured it out.

Is there an extra sensor or wiring needed, how do those lights work?

BMWCurves
06-11-2021, 03:33 PM
The warm up lights can be programmed, a few people on here have done it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7q7xC0wyIY

The item that'd really make me swap over to an M3 cluster is the getting the shift lights to work, and more than just "light up at specific RPM" but also accounting for rate of acceleration.

BADCLOWN
06-11-2021, 03:55 PM
Who on here has done it? I’ve asked around with the people I know who has a the cluster and nobody has the warm up lights properly working.

This is simply a coding thing? No hardware stuff needed?

Galapolis
06-11-2021, 07:42 PM
Schmiedmann used to have a gauge/cluster for non-M with the warm up lights: https://youtu.be/pAHRB9FWtOM

I believe it was plug n play. Maybe they still have them in stock.

ZHPizza
06-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Schmiedmann used to have a gauge/cluster for non-M with the warm up lights: https://youtu.be/pAHRB9FWtOM

I believe it was plug n play. Maybe they still have them in stock.That's a fricken work of art

t.er
06-11-2021, 08:12 PM
That's pretty cool! Now, about that obnoxious logo...

Galapolis
06-12-2021, 06:32 AM
Found some more pics of it, guess it's not that plug n play after all.

BMWCurves
06-12-2021, 08:10 AM
Who on here has done it? I’ve asked around with the people I know who has a the cluster and nobody has the warm up lights properly working.

This is simply a coding thing? No hardware stuff needed?

That specific one was done by Terra, but he's off in medical school or residency by this point so I don't think he has time to code them anymore. I know at least one other person on here has done it, but I can't remember their username.

BADCLOWN
06-12-2021, 08:14 AM
I tried messaging terra ages ago about this and never got a response.

That ZHP style cluster with the warm up lights is interesting but I like the OEM cluster a little better

BMWCurves
06-12-2021, 09:10 AM
I tried messaging terra ages ago about this and never got a response.

That ZHP style cluster with the warm up lights is interesting but I like the OEM cluster a little better

Might check E46Fanatics, I was looking into this last year and I thought there was someone on there who was still offering that service

BADCLOWN
06-12-2021, 01:08 PM
I posted up on E46F As well and they linked a few things, hopefully they will suffice for the guy who does the coding for my Indy

cakM3
06-12-2021, 01:41 PM
Jacob, terra from M3 forum has done this mod. Try reaching out to him over there...

https://nam3forum.com/forums/member/4-terra

ZHPizza
06-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Terra's post here makes it sound like the lights may work when hooked up to ms45?

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/anyone-install-a-non-invasive-oil-temp-sensor.1246909/

If they work, then I'd happily just snip the connections for the last three led sections and roll.

BADCLOWN
06-21-2021, 08:12 AM
The coding guy my Indy uses said today that you can’t code the lights to work with ms45, only ms43????

BADCLOWN
08-31-2021, 11:39 AM
Just wanted to bump this up: if anyone knows anybody aside from Terra or ECUworx (Terra doesn't respond to anything and ECUworx never responded to my messages/email sent, also no idea if they can even do it) I am willing to pay an appropriate amount of money to have this programming done.

Will even throw you a "finders fee" if you can connect me with someone that can make this happen.

Galapolis
08-31-2021, 12:33 PM
Just wanted to bump this up: if anyone knows anybody aside from Terra or ECUworx (Terra doesn't respond to anything and ECUworx never responded to my messages/email sent, also no idea if they can even do it) I am willing to pay an appropriate amount of money to have this programming done.

Will even throw you a "finders fee" if you can connect me with someone that can make this happen.

Walter can definitely do it, but he already runs a business and expects people to order his product rather than ask for individual programming requests. Still, you could try sending him a message and ask for his services (might need Google translate for the website but he'll definitely understand English): https://tuning-technik-walter.de/shop_content.php?coID=7

BADCLOWN
08-31-2021, 12:47 PM
I shot him an email, thank you for recommendation

sum1orotha
08-31-2021, 02:58 PM
Someone just posted about doing this in the facebook group and they seemed to know exactly what shop would/could do it. Maybe give them a shout and see what they were able to work out?

https://i.imgur.com/tNKs53O.png

BADCLOWN
08-31-2021, 03:26 PM
Charlie is a member on these forums. He has reached out to Kassel for the 4dr indicator mod

cakM3
08-31-2021, 05:30 PM
Someone just posted about doing this in the facebook group and they seemed to know exactly what shop would/could do it. Maybe give them a shout and see what they were able to work out?

https://i.imgur.com/tNKs53O.png

Yeah, that guy is me. I have been in comms with Jacob regarding this project... any inputs from anyone who has done this will be very helpful for the handful of us who desire to do this to our cars...

I know Mirza is the most capable to do this mod on the ZHP but he's been incredibly busy so we have to find other means to accomplish this... unfortunate but this is how it is... perhaps we can come together as a group and figure out exactly what is needed to make all this work. I have been researching how to do the programming part but it is very in-depth and requires a lot of reading since I have never attempted coding the DME and instrument cluster myself.

I do know someone who can code in the instrument cluster but for MS43 cars... and he told me he can program in my ZHPs VIN and reset mileage to zero so I will have this done so that I can at least plug in my instrument cluster and not worry about having the tamper dot show up... I still have to figure out how to do the coding for oil warm up/shift lights unless Walter is willing to do this but that requires sending the instrument cluster to Germany... there's got to be a better way...

As Vas has posted, Kassel Performance can add the additional LEDs and resistors so that when the rear doors are opened they show up on the instrument cluster. Mine already has this mod done by Kassel Performance so all I need to do is change out the LEDs for redline and add two more red LEDs so the red line is moved to 7k on my cluster. I think Kassel Performance can do this but I'm also hoping Fixels (who is resetting my VIN and mileage) can also do this. We'll see...

cakM3
09-01-2021, 09:12 AM
Starting to get some traction regarding doing this mod thanks to a few good people on facebook [emoji41][emoji1417] When I get answers there will be more to post[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

cakM3
09-01-2021, 04:33 PM
One source I found sells a module that is developed in the Czech Republic. Dimitri Rukhadze develops this pre programmed module that plugs in line between the harness and the instrument cluster. You get warm up and shift lights on the instrument cluster using this module. Costs run about 75 euro + shipping + PayPal fees and he will ship it to the US. Total shipped to me with PayPal fees will cost 95.64 euro.

Dimitri’s contact info is: drukhadze@googlemail.com / drukhadze@gmail.com

I reached out to him and sent him an email, just waiting for his response... if this does not pan out then I'm working another angle for info to make this mod happen...

BMWCurves
09-01-2021, 05:29 PM
The shift lights work for a non-M3 E46? I see it working in an automatic in this video of theirs, but I have not seen it in a manual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSAUeLIYJ7c

BADCLOWN
09-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Apparently it is easier to make this work in an auto car, at least, that’s what I have read. But it is possible to get this to work on a manual.

cakM3
09-01-2021, 06:22 PM
Apparently it is easier to make this work in an auto car, at least, that’s what I have read. But it is possible to get this to work on a manual.

+1

cakM3
09-03-2021, 05:20 AM
I found a solution for this mod and from what I was told by someone who did this (also owns a ZHP 6MT), it works!

I reached out on facebook ZHP Owner's page and Vas even commented on my post there.

Thanks Vas for posting how your M3 cluster is set up[emoji1417]

One of the responders to my post, Raymond, told me there is a guy in the Czech Republic who makes a module that will plug into the wiring before plugging in the instrument cluster then allow everything to work including the shift lights. Raymond has this module installed in his 6MT ZHP so I reached out to the developer and am working to source his product...

For those interested you also need the M3 instrument cluster with the 24H code.

Once I receive the module and my "virginized" M3 instrument cluster for my ZHP, I will be installing everything to test it out [emoji41]

I will be reporting my findings to everyone[emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk Pro

BMWCurves
09-03-2021, 07:40 AM
Nice! I look forward to hearing how everything goes, this has been on my list for a long time. I wonder if that module is customizable i.e. to control which lights disappear when fully warmed, etc.

cakM3
09-03-2021, 08:21 AM
Nice! I look forward to hearing how everything goes, this has been on my list for a long time. I wonder if that module is customizable i.e. to control which lights disappear when fully warmed, etc.

My guess is that the lights will work just like the M3 lights and will extinguish as oil temps warm up...

Galapolis
09-03-2021, 08:27 AM
One of the responders to my post, Raymond, told me there is a guy in Europe who makes a module that will plug into the wiring before plugging in the instrument cluster then allow everything to work including the shift lights.

Is it Walter (https://tuning-technik-walter.de/product_info.php?products_id=17)?

cakM3
09-03-2021, 08:41 AM
Is it Walter (https://tuning-technik-walter.de/product_info.php?products_id=17)?

Walter never responded. I found another source from the Czech Republic who developed and sells a module that makes the M3 instrument cluster work with the MS45.1 DME in our cars...only thing left to do is to edit the coolant temp values for our engines and it's done. Oil temp gauge works with MS45.1 cars (plug and play), the module takes care of the oil temp warm up lights and shift lights. All I need to do is edit the coolant temp values and I should be set.

Am I leaving anything else out???

sum1orotha
09-03-2021, 09:57 AM
Whoa that's awesome news. I would definitely be interested in doing this mod myself since I've been looking for a reason to swap my cluster (original cluster went bad and haven't gotten around to replacing it with a new ZHP cluster yet). Definitely keep us updated...in the mean time I guess I should be looking on ebay for a manual M3 cluster? Also let me know who can virginize the cluster.

Edit: Also just realized, we would need to mod the cluster for 4 doors in case you have a sedan that you want to do this with correct? If I remember from nextel's build, he had to actually solder in the LEDs for the rear doors.

cakM3
09-03-2021, 11:27 AM
Whoa that's awesome news. I would definitely be interested in doing this mod myself since I've been looking for a reason to swap my cluster (original cluster went bad and haven't gotten around to replacing it with a new ZHP cluster yet). Definitely keep us updated...in the mean time I guess I should be looking on ebay for a manual M3 cluster?

When you find an M3 instrument cluster to get be sure it has the 24H code on it. You will see it on the top of the instrument cluster and the sticker will look like this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51422712219_683fc48c38_o.png

Also let me know who can virginize the cluster.

You can find Fixels on Facebook at this link here:

https://www.facebook.com/Fixels

They can change out the VIN and zero the mileage on the instrument cluster and they can also add the two additional red LEDs (@ 7k and 7.5k) and move the redline from 8k to 7k. I will be sending out my M3 instrument cluster to have all this done to it soon.

Edit: Also just realized, we would need to mod the cluster for 4 doors in case you have a sedan that you want to do this with correct? If I remember from nextel's build, he had to actually solder in the LEDs for the rear doors.

Reach out to Kassel Performance. They modded my instrument cluster for 4 doors.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210903/bccafa29ad88a91e9586433bbefc36f5.jpeg

BADCLOWN
09-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Good update, thanks Charlie

did this guy producing the modules specifically state that it has to be a 24H coded cluster? if so, did he state why?

Generally speaking, you can make 23H coded clusters work as well, but they have to be certain year ones if I am not mistaken

cakM3
09-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Good update, thanks Charlie

did this guy producing the modules specifically state that it has to be a 24H coded cluster? if so, did he state why?

Generally speaking, you can make 23H coded clusters work as well, but they have to be certain year ones if I am not mistaken

This is what Raymond used and the module worked perfectly so I went with the 24H cluster when I got mine... luckily mine also happened to have the 4-door mod done to it by Kassel Performance so all I have to do now is virginize the cluster and add the two red LEDs replacing the amber 7k and 7.5k LEDs... then plug the module in and I will have everything working.

For me getting the 24H cluster eliminated any guess work knowing this works with the module. :thumbsup

Here is a picture showing Raymond's setup and you can see his M3 cluster in this picture...
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51422096376_3945db02f3_o.jpg

BADCLOWN
09-03-2021, 05:26 PM
yeah, if I remember correctly there are certain 23H coded clusters that work and then definitely 24H. I'm excited to see if this module works well.

cakM3
09-03-2021, 05:54 PM
yeah, if I remember correctly there are certain 23H coded clusters that work and then definitely 24H. I'm excited to see if this module works well.

Perhaps Jacob but rather then trying to dig up the info regarding which 23H clusters work when all you need to do is source a 24H cluster and know that will work... I would just source a 24H cluster and call it a day :thumbsup

BADCLOWN
09-03-2021, 05:57 PM
If this module works/functions normally and allows for the rest of the M3 cluster features to work after you trial run it: I'll buy one and have it installed. If it doesn't work, then I will look into buying a 24H cluster, if mine is in fact a 23H. I honestly cant remember what mine is. I cant see there being any issues though

cakM3
09-03-2021, 06:13 PM
If this module works/functions normally and allows for the rest of the M3 cluster features to work after you trial run it: I'll buy one and have it installed. If it doesn't work, then I will look into buying a 24H cluster, if mine is in fact a 23H. I honestly cant remember what mine is. I cant see there being any issues though

I sent Dimitri an email and asked him for his PayPal so I can send him the money for his module. For now it's a waiting game. I will be sending in my M3 gauge cluster and LCM to Fixels as well so they can do their magic to my cluster and then send everything back. Once I have everything I can reinstall all items and see how the M3 gauge cluster works. I will be taking a video to document the startup and see the oil warm up lights function...

cakM3
09-26-2021, 02:40 PM
Finished....

https://live.staticflickr.com/31337/51504298653_190514640e_o.jpg

Short video of gauge cluster working:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129482681@N04/51504298653/in/album-72157717460505887/

johnrando
10-02-2021, 04:41 AM
Nice!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

HugginsRacing
10-10-2021, 05:58 PM
There is a second method to make the cluster LED's work. Tested and confirmed today so I feel confident with sharing it.

MS45-MS43 conversion.

Some basic notes here from the Spec46 racers who all do this conversion (which is why I know about it).
https://www.bimmerworld.com/MS45-to-MS43-Conversion/?fbclid=IwAR3s3Nyf5Zf2cxk2ljtlRaDzvDj2kJpvjay7fGCx 1X6TGULjVfK23SQG95U

You will need 3 harnesses to complete this:

From an E46 ONLY:
Full engine harness (harness 1) - the big one attached to the engine and running into the e-box
Intermediate Harness (harness 2) - this one has the O2 sensors and runs behind the brake booster into the e-box)
Coil Pack harness (harness 3) - from e-box, across top of engine with the power wire, to the coils. Its best if you get this from a Jan 03 - Sep 03 rwd car, or a 2003-2006 XI, as these were MS43 but used pencil coils. You can use your stock MS45 pencil coil harness but you will have to repin the DME connector and splice on a different terminal connector as shown in this photo

You will also need the MS43 DME. You will be flashing this to delete EWS so no need to get the EWS module.

While at the junkyard you should also get:
MS43 MAF (must come from a 3.0 car), this could be from any M54B30 car (x5, x3, e39 530i). This is a 3-pin connector with a push-lock metal clip
MS43 intake air temp sensor (top center of the intake manifold. MS45 cars have this port plugged with a plastic thing). - Any M54 car, even 2.5l ones
MS43 Alternator. The connectors are different. If you take the alternator from a different car than you got the harness, confirm the connectors work. Even among MS43 cars, the connectors vary. - Any M54 car works for this also.

Once you get all the wiring swapped over, you will need to flash the MS43 DME with EWS delete software.
The bonus to this is it will let you get keys cut cheaper if you want extras.
You will do this using the car as a power supply and your normal BMW k+dcan cable

MS4x.net covers this in pretty good detail, but a quick rundown:

Download MS4x dev group flasher
Download tunerpro
Download MS43 M54B30 Firmware for your region (US or EU differences are mostly emissions related)
Download MS43 community patchlist definition file
Download MS43 FW 400069 Definition file

Open up tuner pro and load the MS43 firmware (bin), the MS43 community patchlist definition (XDL). On the left, go down to M3/M5 Cluster LED, and open up the [PATCH] and [DATA]. It will say "not patched" as shown. Hit apply patch, then apply, then close with the x in the top right. If you open it again, it will say "patched".
Open up the Immobilizer bypass folder and the [PATCH] immobilizer bypass window, and apply it as well. Do not apply the "clear immobilizer data" patch

Save the BIN
Connect your cable
Open up the flasher tool
Go to the website and activate it to get your license file (free, not sure why they make you do this)
Close the flasher tool
Connect to your car. Open up INPA to make sure you are connected (two black dots showing on the home screen)
Close INPA, open up the flasher tool. the DME should be recognized as MS43 immediately.
Click the third icon on the left side (the disc with a down arrow) and "load binary". Select your modified file. The tool should identify it as a MS43 00069 firmware file.
Click "Full write" and wait as it flashes the DME.
Turn the key off as instructed after it completes.

You now need to "reset your adaptations". The tool offers this ability, but I have found better success with INPA. So I suggest loading back up INPA, opening the MS43 ecu, going to "error" and then "erasing adaptation" and clicking them all. The key should be in "run" but the engine off for this. Once done, wait 30 seconds, turn the key to "off", wait 30 seconds, and you should be good to go.

The first start will take an extra crank but after that its back to normal.

I have a pile of MS43 DME's, so if that is too much I can do this for someone for beer money also, and mail you a DME.

If you want EWS to stay that is possible also, but a bit more complex to explain.

Regards,
Chris