PDA

View Full Version : socal help

sillieidiot
06-16-2021, 02:48 PM
Anyone have stock intake boots I can borrow for smog? lol

ItsRichieRich
06-16-2021, 03:23 PM
Anyone have stock intake boots I can borrow for smog? lol

I might be able to lend you mine. Car is parked and highly unlikely I will be driving it soon since I take my motorcycle to and from work. Plus I can take the lady's car for errands. If you want to do that, let me know. I just need it back haha.

sillieidiot
06-17-2021, 11:23 AM
I might be able to lend you mine. Car is parked and highly unlikely I will be driving it soon since I take my motorcycle to and from work. Plus I can take the lady's car for errands. If you want to do that, let me know. I just need it back haha.

It's cool. Thanks though. I just went ahead and ordered some crappy aftermarket ones off amazon for like $20. If it lets me pass smog, that's all I need. The next time I smog, it'll have to be at one of "those" places lol

t.er
06-17-2021, 05:52 PM
The next time I smog, it'll have to be at one of "those" places lol

Big plans for your engine?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
06-17-2021, 07:40 PM
Big plans for your engine?

I have this s/c that has been sitting at EAS collecting dust for the last 2 years lol Should be on this year...I hope lol

t.er
06-17-2021, 07:51 PM
I have this s/c that has been sitting at EAS collecting dust for the last 2 years lol Should be on this year...I hope lol

aaaaaaaaaaaah I remember, that s/c you got powdercoated, right

sillieidiot
06-17-2021, 07:56 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaah I remember, that s/c you got powdercoated, right

yep :rofl

johnrando
06-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Dood, you could have def hit me up for that. Glad you found a solution.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

sillieidiot
06-19-2021, 10:40 AM
Dood, you could have def hit me up for that. Glad you found a solution.

I thought you had the silicone hoses.

johnrando
06-21-2021, 09:42 PM
I thought you had the silicone hoses.I do, but I still have my old one. I keep all my old parts. [emoji3]

sillieidiot
06-22-2021, 07:48 AM
man I was able to smog with the silicone hoses before at the same place, then all of a sudden I can't. such bs lol At least now, it'll be easier to take off when we get in that area. It was a bitch to take off, I don't even know how we installed it lol

ItsRichieRich
06-22-2021, 09:20 AM
At least you didn't have to go through state ref like I did when I sold my F30 335i... That was a pain up until I got to state ref.

Will
06-22-2021, 11:46 AM
Damn, silicon intake hoses causes a fail?

What caused your F30 to have to go to state ref? What was that experience like?

ItsRichieRich
06-22-2021, 12:10 PM
So I had the Bootmod3 stage 2 flash tune on the '14 335i with full bolt ons. I swapped everything back to stock including the tune. To give a short back story, I chose Bootmod3 because their system saved your stock tune. When flashing back, it puts in back to stock and reseals the stock flash. All the other tunes out there didn't do that.

I did all this to get the car to pass smog for the new buyer. I went in the day before the sale and got flagged by State Ref at the smog shop that my work uses for the past 15 years. The lady said she has seen this only once and it was last week with a Cadillac CTSV. This was back in January/February of this year.

I called the State Ref hotline and they said the wait for a phone interview to give me the reason why I was flagged was 2 months out. I flipped out (and I'm not the one to usually flip out). I gave her the story and she said she couldn't do anything about it. And that was just to give me a reason why, that didn't include setting up an appoint to go see the actual State Ref. At this point I told the buyer what the issue is and thought for sure I would miss out on the sale. He said he would wait because he really enjoyed the car and wanted to buy it. I am very fortunate in this aspect.

So 2 weeks go by and I get a phone call from State Ref saying I can skip the phone interview process and get straight to seeing State Ref. However, it was still a 3 month wait. I explained everything and she said she couldn't do anything. On top of that, the closes spots to me were either Chula Vista Community College or San Jacinto Community College in San Jacinto. Both locations were far from my work.

Fast forward to another few weeks, I got a phone call while on vacation in Denver. Gentleman told me I would get in the following week, of course I took it. The buyer was super excited and glad we were able to speed the process up. The actual interaction with the State Ref was actually uneventful. I made sure to "sweet talk" and be super "flirty" to make sure I get by but that was not needed. The State Ref basically told me they do this randomly to do a quality control. In his words: "they are discriminating against these types of cars". Basically any car that is known to be tuned and modified.

The State Ref did his visual inspections and also connecting his reader to the OBD2 port, just like any smog place. We chatted for a bit and he mentioned how the state is cracking down on this stuff, California making it harder to own modified cars and he they're short staffed. I ended up paying $8.75 for the "smog" which was a positive thing I guess. I spent more time and gas than that but it is what it is.

t.er
06-22-2021, 12:55 PM
That's so BS. Ontario recently eliminated emissions testing and now I have to go back to it. When I go to register my car to get Cali plates I really hope my BMW Performance Intake & Axleback Exhaust don't pose any problems. Especially the exhaust since it's just a muffler connected with exhaust clamps to the rest of the system, so it does catch the eye

sillieidiot
06-24-2021, 12:57 AM
Damn that sucks. There would be so much to do to return it back to stock.

sillieidiot
06-24-2021, 12:58 AM
That's so BS. Ontario recently eliminated emissions testing and now I have to go back to it. When I go to register my car to get Cali plates I really hope my BMW Performance Intake & Axleback Exhaust don't pose any problems. Especially the exhaust since it's just a muffler connected with exhaust clamps to the rest of the system, so it does catch the eye

I think the BMW performance intake should be fine. I thought it was CARB legal. Yeah so I pass with an exhaust, but can't pass with silicone intake hoses WTF.

ItsRichieRich
06-24-2021, 07:30 AM
Damn that sucks. There would be so much to do to return it back to stock.

The difficult part was removing and replacing the turbo inlet, lots of cuts and scrapes. I probably could of passed smog with it still on but I didn't want to hold up the sale, so I took it off and put it back on.

The good thing out of this whole thing was I got my full asking price.

johnrando
06-24-2021, 08:20 PM
The BMW Perf Intake is NOT carb legal, but I passed smog w/it.

t.er
06-24-2021, 08:56 PM
Well it says BMW on it. I'll just say its stock if asked lol. Got to look around for a good smog shop.

Ah well it's still many months before I swap plates over. I'll enjoy having free access to tolls over there for a bit