PDA

View Full Version : Bought an OEM Navigation unit (MKIII?), but is the install worth it?

usinjin
06-23-2021, 02:31 PM
So, I bought a nav unit because the price was attractive, on impulse. (p/n 65526934410). However, the install doesn't look that easy, and there isn't even a whole lot about how to do it online. I have the 17-pin connector, and it looks like the unit takes 2 12-pin connectors. A "navigation retrofit harness" sold by a company that only possesses a 1.3MP camera, pictured with connectors hidden from the camera, is almost $400. This does the opposite of inspiring confidence. Other google searches only discuss the integration of Sirius radio into the nav. Sirius! Sirius! OMG guys...SIRIUS RADIO!

All I wanted was some 90's era graphics in my aging ZHP. Is this whole thing too much trouble? ...does anyone else want it? :p

az3579
06-23-2021, 03:20 PM
Totally NOT worth the retrofit. It's antiquated technology with a much-less-than-seamless installation procedure.

Galapolis
06-23-2021, 03:24 PM
The p/n isn't bringing up pics, is it this one?

usinjin
06-23-2021, 03:55 PM
Sadness. I strongly dislike the look of more modern Android-type units in the e46, so I guess I'll try and re-sell this one.

The p/n isn't bringing up pics, is it this one?

My bad, I think the p/n is 65526907718. Pic:

fredo
06-23-2021, 04:21 PM
I may be interested. My NAV unit has dead pixels.

usinjin
06-23-2021, 04:57 PM
I may be interested. My NAV unit has dead pixels.

Did you have to do a retrofit? Or did your car come like that from the factory?

The seller said there might be a dark-ish area/spot on the screen. PM me if you're interested, maybe we could slap it in your car and see what it looks like.

fredo
06-23-2021, 06:40 PM
My car has factory NAV.

sna77
06-24-2021, 04:31 AM
So, I bought a nav unit because the price was attractive, on impulse. (p/n 65526934410). However, the install doesn't look that easy, and there isn't even a whole lot about how to do it online. I have the 17-pin connector, and it looks like the unit takes 2 12-pin connectors. A "navigation retrofit harness" sold by a company that only possesses a 1.3MP camera, pictured with connectors hidden from the camera, is almost $400. This does the opposite of inspiring confidence. Other google searches only discuss the integration of Sirius radio into the nav. Sirius! Sirius! OMG guys...SIRIUS RADIO!

All I wanted was some 90's era graphics in my aging ZHP. Is this whole thing too much trouble? ...does anyone else want it? :p

As an FYI.. That's not an MKIII. The MKIII is a CD-based control unit that goes in the trunk of the car... That part # pulls the display with CD player:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BR91-EUR-04_2000_E46_BMW_M3&diagId=03_1191#65526971855

MKIV replaced the MKIII in about 2003--went from CD to DVD based Navigation... Assuming your car did not come with factory Nav, it is a LOT of work to retrofit OEM Nav--including a giant wiring harness routing the radio from behind the dash to the trunk.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/bmw/generations/5-series-e39/diys/my-e46-oem-navigation-16-9-cd-monitor-complete-retrofit-by-delmarco

usinjin
06-24-2021, 10:18 AM
I see. Is it also referred to as the “bordmonitor”? I’ve seen that mentioned in conjunction with the p/n.

Shame that the harness is so expensive, otherwise I’d probably try and gather everything and retrofit. Maybe I’ll try to integrate it with the car someday anyways as a long term project.

As an FYI.. That's not an MKIII. The MKIII is a CD-based control unit that goes in the trunk of the car... That part # pulls the display with CD player:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BR91-EUR-04_2000_E46_BMW_M3&diagId=03_1191#65526971855

MKIV replaced the MKIII in about 2003--went from CD to DVD based Navigation... Assuming your car did not come with factory Nav, it is a LOT of work to retrofit OEM Nav--including a giant wiring harness routing the radio from behind the dash to the trunk.

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/bmw/generations/5-series-e39/diys/my-e46-oem-navigation-16-9-cd-monitor-complete-retrofit-by-delmarco

sna77
06-24-2021, 12:57 PM
I see. Is it also referred to as the “bordmonitor”? I’ve seen that mentioned in conjunction with the p/n.

Shame that the harness is so expensive, otherwise I’d probably try and gather everything and retrofit. Maybe I’ll try to integrate it with the car someday anyways as a long term project.

I've done the retrofit... I would not do it again. When I sought my current ZHP, I specifically looked for one without onboard Nav... I have the detailed install pics on my home computer somewhere. I'll dig them up when I head back from the Cape... end of July