PDA

View Full Version : Crazy to buy a ZHP with 185kmiles?

Pennywise
10-08-2021, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone,*

As I say in the title, I'm thinking about buying at 185k mile zhp (auto vert).*It looks clean in and out, nothing scary on the carfax. The vehicle looks like it is been taken in for service consistently to BMW or mini dealerships (over 30 service records).

All of the Carfax records just say "vehicle serviced" and at most they say oil and filter change. The only parts that look replaced are 1) the Coolant reservoir and valve cover gasket at 80k miles and 2) drive belts at 95k and 3) somewhere in there were tires and alignment noted.

The current owner has only had it for 3 years and says no problems when they brought it to the mechanic back in July this year (I asked for that inspection document if they have it.)

So the questions to the group
1) Crazy to buy one at 185k miles?
2) If the current owner doesn't know if anything else was replaced should I run?
3) What is a fair price, assuming above is all I get and no other information comes in?
4) I am already assuming the cooling system needs to be replaced, plugs, and new suspension. I am most worried about something big like a head gasket.. are there any other massive repair bills people would expect to see near 200k miles, and what can I do check it?

Alternatively, if you have an auto vert on the east coast you are thinking about selling then see my other post :) http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23943-WTB-Auto-Vert-ZHP!

Thanks all!

John in VA
10-08-2021, 09:17 AM
The engines in these are known to do 400k miles. If regular maintenance was performed you might be fine. You have the correct list for underhood/under car service items. You need to be happy with the condition of the body (paint/rust), interior & trim and condition/operation of the top.

cakM3
10-08-2021, 09:18 AM
If you know your way around these ZHPs then it's not crazy to be buying one with 185k miles on it... if you can do the cooling system refresh, brake flush/upgrade, basic engine maintenance (VCG/plugs/oil changes), and suspension work then you can do this...

To ease your mind get a pre-purchase inspection on the car so you're aware of what needs addressing if you buy this...

BH93
10-08-2021, 09:26 AM
At 180k miles, either all the usual service was done, or none of the service was done and you're buying a grenade that's about to cost a lot of $$$

Really depends on the maintenance and record history

san
10-08-2021, 10:13 AM
As someone with 206k miles and counting, my advise is, if the price is right go for it.

But go knowing that you may have to replace a lot of parts in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredo
10-08-2021, 10:37 AM
This is the only local vert I found recently. We are comparing apples to oranges because of miles and MT vs AT. I would think your car should be around the same price ( $4,500 ). I remember this one sold fast, so very likely it was under priced.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?23684-2006-ZHP-vert-MT-113k-miles-4500-Austin-TX

Pennywise
10-08-2021, 01:47 PM
If you know your way around these ZHPs then it's not crazy to be buying one with 185k miles on it... if you can do the cooling system refresh, brake flush/upgrade, basic engine maintenance (VCG/plugs/oil changes), and suspension work then you can do this...

To ease your mind get a pre-purchase inspection on the car so you're aware of what needs addressing if you buy this...

Thanks for the inputs!

Probably will get a PPI. Going to see if they can produce any records first!

Pennywise
10-08-2021, 01:48 PM
As someone with 206k miles and counting, my advise is, if the price is right go for it.

But go knowing that you may have to replace a lot of parts in the near future.

Any parts not listed on the original post that I should factor in now?

BADCLOWN
10-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Id make sure the underside/rear fenders inside and out aren't starting to rust. That would be the only other thing I would check for aside from the aforementioned stuff.

Sidenote: love your member name

holyc0w
10-08-2021, 06:52 PM

Could be a bunch of stuff

Oil pan gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Water pump
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Belts/Pulleys (tensioners also maybe)
Ignition coils
Guibo/Center Support Bearing
Intake boots
Any other rubber parts
Valve cover gasket may be coming due again since it was replaced over 100k miles ago
Were the brakes done at some point?

Pennywise
10-09-2021, 05:47 PM
Could be a bunch of stuff

Oil pan gasket
Oil filter housing gasket
Water pump
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
Belts/Pulleys (tensioners also maybe)
Ignition coils
Guibo/Center Support Bearing
Intake boots
Any other rubber parts
Valve cover gasket may be coming due again since it was replaced over 100k miles ago
Were the brakes done at some point?

Thanks! Still waiting on more answers on their maintenance to get some of the basics answers like brakes and rotors.

I am probably going to pay for a PPI before buying to try to size it all up a little more.

Pennywise
10-09-2021, 05:51 PM
Sidenote: love your member name

Lol. Believe it or not I get more people thinking it is the band name (don't know who they heck they are) than the BAD CLOWN.

I chose it as my gamer/forum name as a teen and stuck with it. Hard to replace it given the history but one day I will think of something new.

san
10-10-2021, 11:51 AM

In addition to everything holycow posted, you may have to change a lot of suspension bushings and dampers

holyc0w
10-11-2021, 05:09 PM
There's also the CCV system, but a PPI should point you in the right direction.