PDA

View Full Version : E46 Words of Wisdom -- For the New Guy

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 06:23 AM
Words of wisdom

-Preventative maintenance is key.

-If you do not own a low profile jack and jackstands...get them.

-Start paying attention here on how to diy, unless you are already a seasoned mechanic....then you can probably disregard above.

-If you do not own an oil extractor (Motive or MityVAc)...get one.

-Read THIS wiki. http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46

-Change out all fluids (Crankcase, diff, tranny) within the first month of owning.

-Anytime changing out dead bulbs....bend electrical tab up just a bit, and apply a dab of di-electric grease to the connection.

-Ensure you disconnect the battery when performing window regulator or seat maintenance...or you will get the SRS Airbag warning light.....which can only be reset with a $200.00 tool.

-Use forever black or black wow to keep your trim looking new.

-Your trunk will smell like crayons....which is perfectly normal.

-You will ask us about VANOS within the first month of owning your car...so you might as well read up HERE ....http://www.beisansystems.com/

-You will be lucky to get 30k miles outta a set of tires.

-Your car is not fast.

-When you walk away from your car, at a store and what not, it is completely normal to look back at it.

-Use BMW LL-01 approved oil in it. Typically this will mean either Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 0W-40(Store), Castrol Euro Blend 0W-30 or BMW Fully Synthetic 5W-30(Stealer).

-You will eventually figure out what type of tranny you have by looking at the sticker on the side of it.

-Only inflate tires to prescribed air pressure listed on drivers side door jam.

-Production date can also be found on drivers side door jam.

-To find parts for your car......plug in the last seven digits of your VIN, in the serial number block at REALOEM. This will lead you a series of drop down menu's that you can drill through to find the part number of the piece you are looking for. Take this part number and plug into and supporting vendor website.

-Do not ask if you can run 87 octane gas in your car. Use 91 or greater.

-Prior to 100k...I strongly recommend you replace....pulley's (qty 3), Belts (qty 2), engine coolant system, vanos, suspension, and brakes.

-Use BMW blue for engine coolant. Do not ask if you may use Prestone.

-There is no transmission fluid dipstick.

-You can download a copy of your owners manual HERE....http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals

-Otto, "Washburn made me think about the fact that our cars should be towed on a flat bed only, and not "Dragged" (from the front or the back)."

-Washburn, "our cars have no tow hooks built in anywhere like other cars - the tow hook (or "ring") is in the tool kit in the trunk, which you have to screw in to the front. if you don't have the tow hook in the trunk tool kit - find one. (I just got one from a member here)."

-Pswirley, "Your car does not have a female acquisition magnet...Quit looking for it or expecting hot 18 year olds to jump in your ride as you cruise by the college."

-Terraphantom, "LL-04 oils are only to be used in Diesel vehicles in the US since our fuel has more Sulfur than Euro gasoline."

-Have fun with your car and learn it.

nk_zhp
04-18-2011, 06:30 AM
"-Only inflate tires to prescribed air pressure listed on drivers side door jamb."

This one can be argued about.

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 06:43 AM
"-Only inflate tires to prescribed air pressure listed on drivers side door jamb."

OK....not really into arguing. Just know thats a pretty safe way to go.

Posted mainly for the new fellas.

billschusteriv
04-18-2011, 07:17 AM
Solid advice Dane. I like.

billschusteriv
04-18-2011, 07:21 AM

So I don't thread jack - we've got a thread where we discussed tire pressure and can always revisit it there. I just posted up some information in there from Tire Rack.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1579-What-is-the-recommended-tire-air-pressure-for-the-E46-BMW-330-ZHP

spencers
04-18-2011, 07:28 AM
Can you edit the post with links? I cannot click any that say "read about it HERE"

Marcus-SanDiego
04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
There are no links in the first post. Where you'd expect to find them (here), they do not exist.

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 08:00 AM
Understood fellas. Fix on the way when I get back....

Or MSD can edit now. I have no issues with that.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Fixed.

Washburn
04-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Castrol European Formula LL-01 should be 0w-30, not 5w-30.
Also, Penzoil Platinum Ultra Euro 5w-40 also meets the spec.

Also, afaik, our cars have no tow hooks built in anywhere like other cars - the tow hook (or "ring") is in the tool kit in the trunk, which you have to screw in to the front. if you don't have the tow hook in the trunk tool kit - find one. (I just got one from a member here :) )

Oli77
04-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Great pointers Dane. Washburn made me think about the fact that our cars should be towed on a flat bed only, and not "Dragged" (from the front or the back). Perhaps you should include that in your Words of Wisdom?

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks Washy. I fixed my post.

danewilson77
04-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Good stuff fella's. Both added to initial post.

L0veZHP
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Still dont understand VANOS http://www.beisansystems.com/ ? how do i DIY? and what parts do i need?

L0veZHP
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=595553 anything better than this? and what are pillars? i heard i need to change those too!? and how do i keep maintenance on suspension?

C Withers Media
04-18-2011, 11:35 AM
I will contribute to the original listing.

Your front tow hook mount is best used as a place to mount your front license plate.

Washburn
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
does that cover for the tow hook/ring just snap completely off or is it held by hinges?

C Withers Media
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
The plastic tow hook cover snaps on the right side and is held in by a piece of plastic with a flexible loop on it. Bend plastic loop and pull out tow hook cover. I can dismantle the trim on these cars (sedans for semantics sake) in about 5 minutes....oh the looks I got yesterday when I showed an Alpine White Zhp how to slide his molding right, insert his key, and pull hard to pop the bumper molding free. Obviously a sedan, hence the bumper molding.

billschusteriv
04-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Be careful with your tow hook cover. If it isn't affixed properly and you need a tow, you will lose the cover and have to drive around with a primer grey cover until you can get it painted.

Recommend removing the tow hook cover for towing operations and putting it in your tool kit in the trunk where your tow hook goes.

nk_zhp
04-19-2011, 07:05 AM
Dane, argue might have been a bad choice of words, it can be adjusted within a safe window to the driver's liking.

danewilson77
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Dane, argue might have been a bad choice of words, it can be adjusted within a safe window to the driver's liking.

No harm...no foul.

lilcdkey
05-15-2011, 10:13 PM
"Your car is not fast"

:rofl

Marcus-SanDiego
05-15-2011, 10:14 PM
And don't forget: our cars are not special.

MsRN
05-18-2011, 06:01 PM
And don't forget: our cars are not special.

Hence, the need to remind us...

:rolleyes

Marcus-SanDiego
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
We always need to be reminded that our cars are not special. :biggrin

danewilson77
05-18-2011, 06:10 PM
We always need to be reminded that our cars are not special. :biggrin

Not even sure our cars are cars.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

MafiaAmor
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Good advice. I like the one about how it's completely normal to look back at your car, I just thought I was obsessing. Lol.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-13-2011, 05:17 PM
We are obsessing but it's a family obsession. :biggrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo46
09-14-2011, 03:57 AM
Sometimes I turn the front wheels a bit so when I came back to get in I can say to myself how badass my ride is.

Hermes
09-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Your trunk will smell like crayons....which is perfectly normal.

what????

just playing, i haven't thought about that in so long... I thought that's just what happens when it gets hot.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
what????

just playing, i haven't thought about that in so long... I thought that's just what happens when it gets hot.

We love schmelty crayons.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Sometimes I turn the front wheels a bit so when I came back to get in I can say to myself how badass my ride is.

Hells yea I am the same way, I like your thinking Im the same way

lilcdkey
09-15-2011, 07:05 PM
-Your trunk will smell like crayons....which is perfectly normal.

LOL SO TRUE

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Up.

RVAzhp
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
that crayons thing man...it's so damn true...its never bothered me, but actually reading it here...it just makes it seem even more strange...

WOLFN8TR
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
How about "Your rear subs are not blown" it's the rear deck rattling. Can't tell ya how many times I've read people having that problem including myself.
Should put Hermes DIY in the list, awesome detailed write up.

E46 Coupe Rear Deck Refurbish & Rattle Solution (http://www.bmwmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?866-E46-Coupe-Rear-Deck-Refurbish-amp-Rattle-Solution)

kayger12
03-03-2012, 04:18 AM
If you're looking for the quick fix, try this-- still working like a charm...http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5057-Coupe-Rear-Window-Shelf-Rattle-Solution-Kayger-Style

cakM3
03-03-2012, 04:38 AM
Dane,

May I recommend two more additional items to look for: 1. have your rear subframes checked to ensure they are in good shape, and 2. ZKW headlight projectors: check them to make sure they are not completely burned out. There is a DIY to replace them here on the forum if you have to replace your ZKW projectors.

This is a great thread for the newbies and everyone else :thumbsup

danewilson77
03-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Will add recent.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

terraphantm
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM

Gotta watch out for this one. At some point, BMW started listing the maximum-load pressures on the door jamb. On my M3, the door jamb values are something like 42F and 48R... but if you look in the manual, the correct pressures for 4 passengers or less is something along the lines of 34/38. Car drives much better on the proper pressures (well, I run 36 all around)

danewilson77
10-27-2012, 06:17 AM
Gotta watch out for this one. At some point, BMW started listing the maximum-load pressures on the door jamb. On my M3, the door jamb values are something like 42F and 48R... but if you look in the manual, the correct pressures for 4 passengers or less is something along the lines of 34/38. Car drives much better on the proper pressures (well, I run 36 all around)

Thanks Terra. So you're saying owners manual supercedes door jam pressures? Or that door jam is max, and owners manual is normal op pressure?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

zj96sc
10-27-2012, 05:50 PM
I believe the door jamb gives the pressures necessary to safely operate at the max gvwr which will probably coincide with (or at least be pretty close to) the tire's max cold pressure.

What you actually run should be a compromise between wear, grip and load - obviously favoring load.

Just_George
12-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Words of wisdom

-Pswirley, "Your car does not have a female acquisition magnet...Quit looking for it or expecting hot 18 year olds to jump in your ride as you cruise by the college."

I love this post...so much truth! However, the above may not be true. Okay, so it might not have a female acquisition magnet (I wish!), but I DID get a wave and a nice smile from a very pretty girl while driving down the highway today! More likely it was just a friendly Christmas gesture, but we can dream otherwise, right? :thumbup

danewilson77
12-25-2014, 01:09 PM
:rofl

"No flamesuit required"

Hermes
12-25-2014, 01:21 PM
-Your car is not fast.

Quoted for truth

CTYankee
04-06-2015, 05:19 PM
This forum rocks...

That is all.

danewilson77
06-13-2015, 10:49 AM
This is exactly why the forum exists. Thanks Silber.

Hey Ryan, welcome to the gang! You truly won't find a better group than the folks on this forum.

I'm on my third E46 vert, and if there are any questions you've got about your potential purchase, I or anyone here will do their best to answer them for you.

Plus if you're ever in my neck of the woods (just south of I-70 near Kingdom City) please give me a shout. Always looking for other local enthusiasts to talk Bimmers with.

Cheers, Michael

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

danewilson77
07-15-2017, 07:06 PM
Bump

Sent from my S8+

garrettdal
03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
What low profile jack and jackstands would you recommend? Currently don't have any because I do all work to my car in my bosses' shop, but I'm gonna need some when I get my baby up to university.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

johnrando
03-27-2018, 09:43 AM
The ole Harbor Freight Pittsburg low profile jack works fine at a good price. You have to be wary of HF stuff but that one works. As for stands, no particular recommendation that I know of, just buy good ones that meet the specs (weight of the car) and have a pin for safety.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

garrettdal
03-27-2018, 11:04 AM
The ole Harbor Freight Pittsburg low profile jack works fine at a good price. You have to be wary of HF stuff but that one works. As for stands, no particular recommendation that I know of, just buy good ones that meet the specs (weight of the car) and have a pin for safety.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkI'll check them out, thanks!

danewilson77
03-28-2018, 06:01 PM
What low profile jack and jackstands would you recommend? Currently don't have any because I do all work to my car in my bosses' shop, but I'm gonna need some when I get my baby up to university.

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkI think it's $74.99 for another week?

garrettdal
03-29-2018, 12:24 PM
I think it's $74.99 for another week?

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkOrdered 'em! Thanks guys!

danewilson77
03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Ordered 'em! Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkWas I correct on the price?

cornercarver
03-29-2018, 01:17 PM
Someone once said "every tool from Harbor Freight eventually becomes a hammer." LOL

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-racing-service-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

Looks like you were right on the price - $74.99 - and considering my 20yr-old Sears jack (which must weigh at least 45lbs) is on its last legs, I may pick one up for that price too.

Did you see somewhere that this price only lasts for a week?

garrettdal
03-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Was I correct on the price?

Sent from my SM-G955U using TapatalkYes you were right on the price, I'll update with some pics when it's shipped!

garrettdal
03-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Someone once said "every tool from Harbor Freight eventually becomes a hammer." LOL

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-aluminum-racing-service-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html

Looks like you were right on the price - $74.99 - and considering my 20yr-old Sears jack (which must weigh at least 45lbs) is on its last legs, I may pick one up for that price too.

Did you see somewhere that this price only lasts for a week?And no, didn't see that it said that it only lasted a week anywhere, I might have just not been paying attention

danewilson77
03-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Did you see somewhere that this price only lasts for a week?
And no, didn't see that it said that it only lasted a week anywhere, I might have just not been paying attention

Sent from my SM-G950U using TapatalkI thought the HF flyer I recieved said it expired soon. Could be wrong though.