PDA

View Full Version : What does your car do to piss you off?

bullfrogs_M3
04-19-2011, 01:10 PM
I just put in the a new window regulator on my passenger front side. I go for a test drive in the nice weather, go to roll down my driver side window and hear multiple crunches in both directions.....
http://hooniverse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/RageFace2.png

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 01:24 PM
It used to have auto wipers - that pissed me off. I had them eradicated.

My side mirrors are getting a rust-like something in the bottoms of them on the reflective part. That pisses me off. It happened on my 323i as well.

It doesn't have a force field around it to stop dings, scratches, and general idiocy from damaging it. That pisses me off.

My front MTech II is peppered from highway driving. That pisses me off. But that's not really the car's fault, so I'll let it slide.

Oh, this one's the worst: when I hit "auto" for the climate to get to a temperature, no matter what the ambient temp or the desired temp, the friggin' thing turns on the AC. That REALLY pisses me off. I have to move my G-D finger 3.5 inches to the right to hit the AC button! That pisses me off!

Washburn
04-19-2011, 01:43 PM
The double-pull to open doors pisses me off.
FM (weak channels) getting scratchy as soon as i turn on the defroster pisses me off
chrome strips on the rear deck Hk speakers being reflected on the rear window seen through the rear view mirror piss me off

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
You can have the dealer get rid of that.

Washburn
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM
which one?

M0nk3y
04-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Automatic Lights.

Going into and out of tunnels will trigger then. Instant on/off is never good for HID bulbs

RITmusic2k
04-19-2011, 01:54 PM
There is a buzz/rattle coming SOMEWHERE from beneath my front passenger seat, but for the life of me, I cannot source it.

Also, the 2800-3000rpm shudder. And the CDV. Other than those, she's near perfect.

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 01:55 PM
which one?

The lock thing.

Automatic Lights.

Going into and out of tunnels will trigger then. Instant on/off is never good for HID bulbs

???? My car has an option for automatic lights (turned all the way to the left) and manual lights (vertical). Is that different on the Z4?

Hornung418
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Everything about my car pisses me off...Especially when one minute it runs fine then it doesn't :dunno I'm due for a Fuel filter and possibly a new pump :(

And I hate not having a tow hook cover...Didn't come with one, and I'm not going to pay $50 to have it painted...

M0nk3y
04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
???? My car has an option for automatic lights (turned all the way to the left) and manual lights (vertical). Is that different on the Z4?

Nope. It's just like it.

On my E46 it didn't have any option for automatic lights...and I liked it that way. This whole automatic headlight thing just teases me

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
I've never used it. To me, my ZKW xenons will burn out soon enough - I don't need the friggin' things turning on when I don't want them on! I'm all about the manual control, especially with lights, wipers, and climate. Oh, and transmission.

I'd use it if my car was a coupe, though, because coupes' headlights turn with curves in the auto setting.

danewilson77
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
I do not enjoy the rather unsatisfactory AM reception.

I also could do without the rain sensing headlight washers. Makes it a pain to take lenses out.

I also do not appreciate the fact my drivers side HID bright does not work.

That is all.

Other than those three things, and regardless of those three things I really enjoy my car, and am quite fanaticalistic about it.

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
fanaticalistic

I am 74% sure you just made that word up.

pleasecorrupt
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I do not enjoy the rather unsatisfactory AM reception.

I also could do without the rain sensing headlight washers. Makes it a pain to take lenses out.

I also do not appreciate the fact my drivers side HID bright does not work.

That is all.

Other than those three things, and regardless of those three things I really enjoy my car, and am quite fanaticalistic about it.

regarding the AM reception, are you on the USA area setting? Does it change by 10hz?

zhpnsnv
04-19-2011, 02:25 PM
My AM reception sucks, too.

spencers
04-19-2011, 02:29 PM
The external temperature sensor reads low

johnnyrad
04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
That damn felt sag makes my otherwise flawless interior look like my car has ass cheese. I should fix that cause that really chaffs me. But once I start driving down the road all is forgotten and the love for my ride grows like a fine wine.

pleasecorrupt
04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
for bad am reception try the following.

turn key to position two
turn off radio
turn on radio
hold m button for ~10 secs
radio serial should appear
press + - to navigate to area
if it says area euro switch it to area usa using the keys next to m button.
test out reception.

danewilson77
04-19-2011, 02:59 PM
regarding the AM reception, are you on the USA area setting? Does it change by 10hz?

HUH? Dunno? I am sure thats in the owners manual?

I know that I have pulled the drivers side C Pillar and checked all connections tight.

Mike V
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
One press only unlocks the driver door (I know this can be reprogrammed but it pisses me off since the fob seems to have a range of 3.5 feet and the second button hit never works when I have an armload of crap and need to open the passenger door).

The CDV. I need to remove that thing. It really seems to affect the 1-2 shift during normal driving.

Electronic "lsd" is complete BS. I hate it in the snow and I hate it at the autox. A performance package needs to include a proper lsd.

Ridiculously expensive rear tire size. I would be happier if this car came with 17 x 8.5 (or 9) with 255/40/17 all around.

MasterC17
04-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Double-Pull to open doors
Double press to unlock all doors
Daytime running lights
Headlight washers
CDV

Otherwise I love it :wub

kayger12
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Really nothing.

I love her, she loves me back.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Oh..my bad....and ZKW's in general.

Mtnman
04-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Window regulators. Total fail

Check engine light. I owned an altima from new to 189000 miles and don't remember it ever coming on. Now I'm thinking about buying a code reader

$100 oil changes. I need and extractor

$1000 tires that last a year

Rain sensor. I had a new winshield installed with the proper sensors attached, but the auto wipers don't work anymore. They said I need a new sensor box. I liked my auto wipers.

HK stereo isn't that special....

Vanos rattle.

static667
04-19-2011, 05:16 PM
One press only unlocks the driver door (I know this can be reprogrammed but it pisses me off since the fob seems to have a range of 3.5 feet and the second button hit never works when I have an armload of crap and need to open the passenger door).

The CDV. I need to remove that thing. It really seems to affect the 1-2 shift during all driving.

+1

az3579
04-20-2011, 04:46 AM
What annoys me about my car is that it was never offered with the correct number of doors (4) with the correct engine installed (S54).
The door mirror retrofit is ridiculous in its requirements. It should be plug and play.
When windshield defrost is on, it's HOT inside the car. Most of the time I don't have a choice; I must turn it on otherwise I can't see, and if I'm hot to begin with, then I'm screwed. My old car allowed me to set the temperature of the defrost; why can't this one?
The E46 didn't come with dual-zone climate control, but its predecessor, the E36, and successor, the E90, did.
THE CLIMATE CONTROL BUTTONS AREN'T KNOBS FOR CONTROLLING TEMPERATURE. Why couldn't they stick with the much more effective KNOBS?
I only have one trip odometer and one MPG readout. I would very much like two.
The deadpedal is incredibly cheap and easy to break.
Turn signal lights are illuminated with the light switch is in any position other than A or 0. I hope to change this in NCS Expert.
My left foglight sometimes doesn't come on, but when it does, it never goes out as long as the car is on.
THE AUTO-SENSING WIPERS ARE USELESS BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO RESET THEM TO OFF EVERY TIME YOU START THE CAR OTHERWISE THEY WON'T AUTO SENSE.
The oil dipstick sometimes requires more force to pull out than it takes to push the car from the rear.
If I get into any kind of accident where the airbag deploys (even if you hit it just in the right spot regardless of how minor the accident is), the airbags go off and the frickin' power to the battery is disconnected. So, if I have a situation where there's a minor front fender bender, I can't drive the car home.
Our German paint is so thin that rock chips are DOMINATE the car. I don't see Japanese finishes have this problem nearly to the extent we do...
I'm not supposed to know what a final stage resistor is.
I'm not supposed to be afraid to roll down the windows in fear of my regulators breaking.
I HATE POWER SEATS. Give me my manual control; it takes way too frickin' long to change seat positions!

Would you like me to go on?

The double-pull to open doors pisses me off.

Can be programmed so the doors don't auto-lock after driving off. Otherwise, you can't have auto-lock doors and not have the double-pull thing. If you want to retain the auto-lock, I recommend you press the central locking button (next to hazard light switch) before exiting the car so you don't have to pull the handle twice.

Automatic Lights.

You could always just leave it in manual mode...

Touch your key (the part that inserts into the ignition, not the remote) up to the bottom of your chin and you'll find your range dramatically improved. I can walk across a very large parking lot and do this trick and my car doors will unlock/lock for a far distance. This I have found works for EVERY car with a remote key.

Electronic "lsd" is complete BS. I hate it in the snow and I hate it at the autox. A performance package needs to include a proper lsd.

This I agree with, though we don't have an "electronic LSD". We just have open differentials.

Ridiculously expensive rear tire size. I would be happier if this car came with 17 x 8.5 (or 9) with 255/40/17 all around.

The size you specified is still expensive, depending on what you get.

danewilson77
04-20-2011, 05:21 AM
What annoys me about my car is that it was never offered with the correct number of doors (4) with the correct engine installed (S54).
The door mirror retrofit is ridiculous in its requirements. It should be plug and play.
When windshield defrost is on, it's HOT inside the car. Most of the time I don't have a choice; I must turn it on otherwise I can't see, and if I'm hot to begin with, then I'm screwed. My old car allowed me to set the temperature of the defrost; why can't this one?
The E46 didn't come with dual-zone climate control, but its predecessor, the E36, and successor, the E90, did.
THE CLIMATE CONTROL BUTTONS AREN'T KNOBS FOR CONTROLLING TEMPERATURE. Why couldn't they stick with the much more effective KNOBS?
I only have one trip odometer and one MPG readout. I would very much like two.
The deadpedal is incredibly cheap and easy to break.
Turn signal lights are illuminated with the light switch is in any position other than A or 0. I hope to change this in NCS Expert.
My left foglight sometimes doesn't come on, but when it does, it never goes out as long as the car is on.
THE AUTO-SENSING WIPERS ARE USELESS BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO RESET THEM TO OFF EVERY TIME YOU START THE CAR OTHERWISE THEY WON'T AUTO SENSE.
The oil dipstick sometimes requires more force to pull out than it takes to push the car from the rear.
If I get into any kind of accident where the airbag deploys (even if you hit it just in the right spot regardless of how minor the accident is), the airbags go off and the frickin' power to the battery is disconnected. So, if I have a situation where there's a minor front fender bender, I can't drive the car home.
Our German paint is so thin that rock chips are DOMINATE the car. I don't see Japanese finishes have this problem nearly to the extent we do...
I'm not supposed to know what a final stage resistor is.
I'm not supposed to be afraid to roll down the windows in fear of my regulators breaking.
I HATE POWER SEATS. Give me my manual control; it takes way too frickin' long to change seat positions!

Would you like me to go on?

Can be programmed so the doors don't auto-lock after driving off. Otherwise, you can't have auto-lock doors and not have the double-pull thing. If you want to retain the auto-lock, I recommend you press the central locking button (next to hazard light switch) before exiting the car so you don't have to pull the handle twice.

You could always just leave it in manual mode...

Touch your key (the part that inserts into the ignition, not the remote) up to the bottom of your chin and you'll find your range dramatically improved. I can walk across a very large parking lot and do this trick and my car doors will unlock/lock for a far distance. This I have found works for EVERY car with a remote key.

This I agree with, though we don't have an "electronic LSD". We just have open differentials.

The size you specified is still expensive, depending on what you get.

And the dark clouds came rolling in...lol....as if the apocolypse were upon us.

az3579
04-20-2011, 05:22 AM
And the dark clouds came rolling in...lol....as if the apocolypse were upon us.

Him asking us what pisses us off about our cars is nothing but an invitation for dark clouds. lol

danewilson77
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Him asking us what pisses us off about our cars is nothing but an invitation for dark clouds. lol

+1...it does have its way at altering the forecast.

kayger12
04-20-2011, 05:39 AM

Really nothing.

I love her, she loves me back.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

I make sunshine...

bullfrogs_M3
04-20-2011, 05:39 AM
I was just frustrated with the car at the moment is how this post came to be. Just the fact that I replace one regulator and then roll down another window only to hear the tell tale signs of ANOTHER freakin regulator going out....... yea. That pretty much put me over the top.

I suppose my list would be:
1. Odd creaking noise coming from the front end (mostly passenger side), it's kinda embarassing to drive at low speeds through a parking lot. I really don't know what it is, as I have already swapped out suspension and lubed the ever living hell out of the UUC FCAB and Swaybar bushings. That only leaves me with my actual control arms making the noise.

2. Ground wire fault in my passenger rear light somewhere. Haven't had a chance to tear into it to find it yet. So my dashboard goes off and on with light bulb failure in the rear

3. A skeleton of a big bug that somehow made it into my rear light housing. He is now immortalized in there until a bulb burns out and I go to swap it out.

4. No cup holders in the back seats. Kids are always puttin their drinks up front and I am always hitting said drinks when I shift.

??? I guess thats it. Otherwise, she is a great car and a blast to drive.

kayger12
04-20-2011, 05:40 AM
I was just frustrated with the car at the moment is how this post came to be. Just the fact that I replace one regulator and then roll down another window only to hear the tell tale signs of ANOTHER freakin regulator going out....... yea. That pretty much put me over the top.

I suppose my list would be:
1. Odd creaking noise coming from the front end (mostly passenger side), it's kinda embarassing to drive at low speeds through a parking lot. I really don't know what it is, as I have already swapped out suspension and lubed the ever living hell out of the UUC FCAB and Swaybar bushings. That only leaves me with my actual control arms making the noise.

2. Ground wire fault in my passenger rear light somewhere. Haven't had a chance to tear into it to find it yet. So my dashboard goes off and on with light bulb failure in the rear

3. A skeleton of a big bug that somehow made it into my rear light housing. He is now immortalized in there until a bulb burns out and I go to swap it out.

4. No cup holders in the back seats. Kids are always puttin their drinks up front and I am always hitting said drinks when I shift.

??? I guess thats it. Otherwise, she is a great car and a blast to drive.

Give this a try for problem #2 http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076114

bullfrogs_M3
04-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Give this a try for problem #2 http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076114

wow, that's all it takes? Very cool, guess I have a project to do this weekend. Thanks for the link!!!!!!

kayger12
04-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Welcome. I had the same issue with my 325i. Nice easy DIY. Never had a problem with it again.

jvr826
04-20-2011, 06:01 AM
About 31.8% of the time when I start the car, the stereo/nav will not produce any sound, yet it's fully functional otherwise. The fix is to shut down the car and restart, then it works fine.

I have found some occurrences of other's having the same problem and suspect it's either the nav computer or the radio module. I live with it because the cost to replace either or both of those parts far exceeds a top-of-the-line aftermarket replacement. If/when it finally dies, I'll go for an Alpine or Pioneer unit and get all the modern features to go with it.

Crickett
04-20-2011, 06:09 AM
I (likely) have the same sound you're describing, but from my driver's side; if it's a creaking sound when turning at low speeds, I'm with ya. Search "pirate ship creak" on E46F & you should find a ton of info. After all the research I could do, I'm suspecting the top strut mount / bearing.

I had this problem, too. kayger's link will work, but this E46F post (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7820095&postcount=6) is how I did it. It was the first DIY I did on my car; did it around three years ago & haven't had a problem since1

GL! :thumbup

pyreguy
04-20-2011, 06:15 AM
I tinted my windows with reflective tint that affects my key fob range. But it's been working great the last few days so I think I have a sporadic problem with the charging system in the ignition as well.

The automatic AC used to bother me until I decided I didn't care if the car decided to use the compressor to take the moisture out of the air. I live in a very humid climate and I find the dryer heat in the winter quite nice.

I don't use the automatic headlights but I love the automatic wipers and use them almost exclusively. I imagine I will not like paying the premium for them when it comes time to replace my windshield, but I will.

I haven't had any of the major problems yet, such as dark headlights, regulators, vanos, or cooling system yet. I have had to replace the expansive-ass rear tires though. You gotta pay to play.

I don't mind the lack of cup holders in the rear because the youngins aren't allowed to drink in daddy's car anyway.

The double pull to exit amuses me. It's very German and I like the looks on peoples faces the first time the go to get out of my car. When it's just me and the kids I make a point to hit the button. No biggie.

All in all, I really enjoy ownership of my ZHP. I paid cash for a car that I realized had inherent issues (cooling system, headlights, vanos) that will eventually need addressing and a higher general maintenance cost and I set aside money accordingly. The trade-off is that I have a car that I love to look at and drive and just spend time with in general. I'm very happy with my decision.

Sent using alien technology and Tapatalk

kpro
04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Everything about my car pisses me off...Especially when one minute it runs fine then it doesn't :dunno I'm due for a Fuel filter and possibly a new pump :(

And I hate not having a tow hook cover...Didn't come with one, and I'm not going to pay $50 to have it painted...

PM me. If you buy one and mail it to me I will paint it and mail it back.

My only complaints:

GM5 needs rebuilt :( Constantly getting locked out of my car. Had a wet t-shirt moment yesterday because of this :(
Creaky Pirate Ship Seat
material is peeling off of my a and c pillars
The annoying hesitation between 2700-3000 rpms

That about sums it up. I love my beater :)

Kudos
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
What bugs me is that my center trim above my Radio is not perfectly flush with the radio itself or the dashboard. It just sticks out and there's like no way to fix it, as nothing is broken. Anyone else?

When looking out of my drivers window sitting inside, i can see that the top line from fender to door to rear fender does not line up perfectly.

Rock chips, but that's cause i love driving highway :)

LED lights that went out partially ( like 5 of the 20 lights died in my tail light. how the hell do i fix that??)

Got a leak somewhere in the trunk from that same tail light that lets water into the cover when it rains hard. surprising nothing was there when it snowed hard.

All in all, mostly I notice these imperfections and everyone else is just shocked i could afford such a nice looking car at my age. (24) not that fancy, but i'm thoroughly enjoying my "sports car". next one i think i'll get is m3 killer (ala 135 chipped).

C Withers Media
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
That about sums it up. I love my beater :)

:rofl :mob

Mtnman
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
What bugs me is that my center trim above my Radio is not perfectly flush with the radio itself or the dashboard. It just sticks out and there's like no way to fix it, as nothing is broken. Anyone else?

When looking out of my drivers window sitting inside, i can see that the top line from fender to door to rear fender does not line up perfectly.

Rock chips, but that's cause i love driving highway :)

LED lights that went out partially ( like 5 of the 20 lights died in my tail light. how the hell do i fix that??)

Got a leak somewhere in the trunk from that same tail light that lets water into the cover when it rains hard. surprising nothing was there when it snowed hard.

All in all, mostly I notice these imperfections and everyone else is just shocked i could afford such a nice looking car at my age. (24) not that fancy, but i'm thoroughly enjoying my "sports car". next one i think i'll get is m3 killer (ala 135 chipped).

yes, my trim above my radio is about 1/32 to 1/16 out farther than it should be. Bet we just pissed some ppl off that hadn't noticed that.

I also have a forever mummified and encapsolated dead spider in my rear tail.....I thought it was kinda funny....but annoying.

danewilson77
04-20-2011, 03:08 PM
You guys crack me up. Get the bugs outta there.

az3579
04-20-2011, 03:58 PM
I also have a forever mummified and encapsolated dead spider in my rear tail.....I thought it was kinda funny....but annoying.

I kid you not, mine is a bee stuck in the left taillight. :rofl

ZSP-Mafia
04-20-2011, 05:17 PM
I have a ladybug in my taillight.

Mtnman
04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Is it in the drivers side light like the rest of us? That seems to be the entombing light....

ZSP-Mafia
04-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Lol, it totally is. :)

Oli77
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
Zen brothers and sisters,

http://kimchestney.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/img_Jardin-Zen_Peter-SAMUELS_refCABE020_modezoom.jpg

I have yet to have a moment when I think the car is pissing me off.

kayger12
04-20-2011, 05:55 PM
^^^^
Like!

Mtnman
04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
Oli, just keep driving. it will happen.

Oli77
04-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Well if it does, you'll be the first to find out about it.

As a matter of fact I am working on a new thread because exactly one year ago (today), I bought my first bimmer! Its our first year anniversary and still look back after I park it.:blushing

Kudos
04-21-2011, 01:49 PM
I've got a dead mosquito in my rear stop light on top. pissing me off.

danewilson77
04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
I've got a dead mosquito in my rear stop light on top. pissing me off.

I have a lil spider. I am not pissed though. I kind of like it. Constant reminder that I am on top of the food chain.

Murphy
04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I am still trying to figure out how to get that yellow jacket out of my back window. It is on the passenger side in the last vent. I have to have a spotter and I have tryed to move it with a bamboo skewer and then attack it with a vacuum without success. It's a paradox.

danewilson77
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
I am still trying to figure out how to get that yellow jacket out of my back window. It is on the passenger side in the last vent. I have to have a spotter and I have tryed to move it with a bamboo skewer and then attack it with a vacuum without success. It's a paradox.

:rofl

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Muggzie
04-21-2011, 05:40 PM

I have these same problems an it bugs the crap out of me

MiHiZHP
04-22-2011, 01:47 PM
Vanos klappern!

Linh
04-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Not much, other than a couple of sqeaks (passenger seat) and rattles (center dash) inside the cabin when driving thats kind of annoying. However the subframe issues seems pretty serious. . .

johnrando
04-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm with Keith on this one. I love the car, it loves me back. Sometimes it doesn't treat me well, but it doesn't piss me off. Would LOVE better AM reception, definitely going to try the EURO-USA check... thanks for that tip! John