PDA

View Full Version : Oli77's maintenance & yearly totals ledger

Pages : [1] 2

Oli77
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Got the car exactly one year ago (4/21/2010) so I thought I would post a little thread about BMW ownership, maintenance and stories about what happened. It’s a 325i from 2005, silvergray metallic, ZSP, manual, leatherette, totally stock still to this day. Throughout the year I have had a lot of fun entering in picture contests across forums (including this one). I have hundreds of picture of my car!

Purchased from independent dealer in TN, clean carfax, two owners. Car had 61K miles and I paid $14.5K. Original add (see here (http://mikecunninghamwholesale.com/1005.html)) asked for $ 16,755. Car was originally purchased (new) in FL, and then made its way to TN. The original owner had driven 46K miles in two year so I am pretty sure those were all highway miles. Anyway, when I got it, it had just come out of warranty and had been a trade at a local Dodge dealer. The independent dealer who sold it to me had gotten it as his primary car from the original Dodge dealer and had driven it ~ 6 months. I am not sure that the last two years of warranty were taken care off by a BMW dealer (see later).

Original pic from dealer who sold it to me.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/2.jpg

The day I arrived at home after a 3 hour drive from TN, I was standing outside the car while it was running, and I heard a metal on metal noise coming from under the car (perfectly matched to rmp). With the help of knowledgeable members on several forums (and internet searches), I found out the throw out bearing was on its way. It still is, and there has not been any worsening of the symptoms. I can deal with that latter, as clutch is still plenty good and I’ll take care of the TOB in due time. I have learned to slowly let go of the clutch when I arrive at a red light and the noise is almost non perceivable.

I paired my cell phone right away after I found the pairing code under the Bluetooth control unit in the rear left wheel compartment (from trunk). See here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1544-how-to-pair-up-bluetooth-on-2006-BMW-330-ZHP&p=30028#post30028)

Learned about the mod sock so I did that right away (thanks Dane)!

Got rid off the pin stripes.

In the next 2 weeks, the car developed a leak of windshield wiper fluid (dealer had told me about a grommet I needed), and the floor mats were busted. First Bavauto purchase: $157.85 shipped.

I then noticed I was missing the splash panel in the front right wheel well, it stunk when I turned on the AC (cabin filter)and I was missing a child seat anchor cover on rear seat. Second purchase at Bavauto was placed: $119.75 shipped.

Then I did the license plate delete (thus far, the cleanest most eye-candy mod for me). Third order at Bavauto: $28.90 shipped.

Before:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC05402.jpg

After:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC05665.jpg

Then I started dealing with a “clunk” in the back. Thread can be found here (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455997&highlight=clunk). I still have it, and I have learned to deal with it (think it’s the rear differential mount).

I spent a long time under there looking around. Even though the car only had ~61K miles, it had new CAB (HD Meyle), new radiator hoses (found part number stickers still on them – lower, and several upper), and a new looking guibo. These numbers, the Meyle CABs and the new guibo indicate (I think) that changes were made by previous owner but not a BMW dealer.

Then I had a dealer check my subframe (passed), also found out a new battery had been installed at 42K miles (car was 2 years old- odd).

About then it was winter and the first significant “break” was the Thermostat (stuck open –no heat). Had an Indy change to metal water pump, new T –stat with housing, the belts and the idler pulley. Fourth purchase: $539.72.

I also bought the winter rubber BMW mats (~$ 50) around that time.

I know that I need to change my brakes (known that since day 1 of purchase but light has not kicked on). I will order from brakeyourself.com (our buddy Ray) and DIY.

There has also been a clunk coming from the front when I break (realized it within first few weeks of ownership). For the longest time I thought it was the pads moving around. It has gotten noticeably worse since last year. In some case I can feel a shock in the brake pedal as I apply pressure. Found out recently the lower ball joint on the left control arm is shot. Indy: $290.

So that’s the story on this first year anniversary. I am happy, love the car, the smell, the look, the build, the feel, the handling, the smooth sound, the engine and even the clunk! I did not indicate oil changes but they are done every 7K miles. Car now has 68K miles.

Did not do the math but including a couple oil changes, that sounds about right, $1000 for first year (excluding the control arm - not yet done)? Next week, I am getting a new control arm and at least one of the clunks will be gone.

danewilson77
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Nice writeup. Thanks for sharing.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Good read.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Oli77
04-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks buds, figured I would keep a thread going on the car and review occasionally, has time goes back.

Can Markus edit the title, there is a space missing between "year" and "of" and it bugs me.

spencers
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Holy hell. I purchased my e46 on 4/21/2010 as well!!!

Nice chronicle of ownership. The car sounds like an excellent purchase.

Oli77
04-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Telepsychic! Cosmic too.

Thanks for whomever fixed that space in the title.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks buds, figured I would keep a thread going on the car and review occasionally, has time goes back.

Can Markus edit the title, there is a space missing between "year" and "of" and it bugs me.

I fixed your title yesterday. Because I micromanage the site, very few things get by me. When I saw the lack of a space between the words, I fixed it. One way or the other, you can count on me to take care of you here at ZHPMafia.com.

Oli77
04-22-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks Boss.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
De nada, good sir.

Oli77
04-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Front left Control arm being done as we speak. I will update the price and start the "maintenance fee calculation" for the second year of ownership later today.
A Febi-Bilstein is being put in (guess my Indy guy is a stickler for German-made parts).

Oli77
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM
]Begin second year[/B]:

Smooth $336 to put in a new control arm. I wish I had tools and friends nearby that may have done that job before. I know I have all of you guys, but its not the same (plus having the car on a lift is a huge help I can see).

I looked at them go at it for the first 15 min and they made it look easy. Pneumatic wrenches and the right combination of tools and that was it. I was surprised that they kept the original HD Meyle CAB.

Found out my high pressure lower hose on the power steering rack is oozing a little...

The front clunk is gone! I thought I would be happier. I feel good about it and I can stop imagining my left front wheel moving backwards ever so slightly every time I hit the brakes.

Not much change with respect to the direction or handling.

kayger12
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
Just want to make sure I'm reading right, Oli-- did they install a new control arm but reuse the bushings?

If so, that's a big no-no from everything I've read. Only kind of bushings that are ok to reuse are the polyurethane, iirc.

Oli77
04-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Yep. That's what happened! He reused the HD Meyle CAB. The lower and inner ball bushings were new and came with the new arm.

Maaaaahmy! ;\

kayger12
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Yep. That's what happened! He reused the HD Meyle CAB. The lower and inner ball bushings were new and came with the new arm.

Maaaaahmy! ;\

Yeah-- pretty sure that's no good, bro.

I'd reach out for him and get yourself a new CAB put on.

DW or one of the seasoned DIY vets should be able to back me up on this.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 03:29 AM
The only way to reuse one....is to get it off without destroying the bushing, and having the fluid leak out. I have never been able to remove for re-use....and typically...if your gonna replace the CA, the bushing typically needs replacing as well. Keith is correct.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 03:30 AM
]Begin second year[/B]:

I feel good about it and I can stop imagining my left front wheel moving backwards ever so slightly every time I hit the brakes.

I don't understand this?

Oli77
04-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Well I assumed the sharp clunk I would hear in the front upon initial brake application while moving forward at low speeds would make the wheel assembly move back a tad. The lower control arm ball joint had play in it and while the car would not clunk over bumps, it was this occasional noise upon braking that would clue me in to something being wrong.

With respect to the replacement of the CAB. The guy said he pressing the new arm in (he has a special press for removing and reinserting the arm without destroying the bushing). I have not looked at the shape of the CAB yet but if it is not in pristine condition, I will be talking to Bob my mechanic.

Thanks for looking out for me. Everything feels good now, but I suppose that if removing and pressing a new arm into the CAB has, in any way, weakened the integrity of the CAB, a slow degradation is performance is expected - how will it take?

I'll look and report back.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 05:49 AM
I would say you would already know if it was destroyed.

How many miles on current CAB's?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Oli77
04-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Dear Dr. Dane, remember when I thought your license plate should be the following?

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/danelicenseplate.jpg

Anyway Doc, the HD MEYLE have been in since I bought the car and they look quiet new. No leak nothing. As an aside, this is why I think it is weird that someone other then BMW took care of the car (mentioned a bunch of new hoses, Meyle CABS, maybe even guibo). I mean a BMW dealer would not be buying parts like that - right? The part numbers still attached to some of the hoses were matched up well with inventory from several of our classic vendors (ECS tuning, FCPGroton etc...).

This is the part where I go hummmmm. I am assuming that in 2005, that car came with a 5 year warranty. As such why would I find non BMW parts on a car purchased by me in 2010?

spencers
04-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Dane holds a doctorate?

To answer your question above, maybe the PO wanted some work done that was outside the scope of the warranty... Enter a DIY or an indy mechanic.

Marcus-SanDiego
04-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Yes. In pimpology.

kayger12
04-27-2011, 07:14 AM
:rofl

Oli77
04-27-2011, 07:35 AM
You bet you a doctorate in BMW DIY. Respect man.
Good idea Spence!
Did you ever check the IBS graduate school program at the U of Kentucky?

spencers
04-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Good idea Spence!
Did you ever check the IBS graduate school program at the U of Kentucky?

I haven't--I sent you a PM regarding the NIH's IRTA program.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 09:12 AM
You're much too kind (well most)......I still have a lot to learn about these cars....but as Spencer mentioned.....PO probably had some indy work done. I can support that theory.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Oli77
04-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Taking the car back to the Indy tomorrow because I am hearing the beginning of the appearance of the start of the birth of a small "tiiiiiiink" when I hit the brakes....

Oli77
04-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Indy guy admitted that the Bentley does recommend for a new bushing (can't reuse the bushing once you took control arm out - just like you professional DIYer were saying). But he also said that as long as the removal is well made and bushing is intact (he has a huge 2 Ton press for that, we BMW-sized inserts, etc...), that you can reuse, at least he does.

He double checked all his work and stood by it. The wheel, which used to move a bit backward on hitting the brakes, no longer budges. According to him, the CA is doing it's job. I also saw the old control arm, and the inner and outer ball joint were indeed loose. So the job had to be done I agree.

So what's the brake-related clunk? The brake pads that are very worn and could be rattling a bit (I have know the brakes were pretty far used in the front since buying the car).

I have put it off for long enough now. So I contacted our buddy Ray at brakeyourself.com and he got me a great deal on Centric cross-drilled rotors (4) and Stoptech pads, 2 sensors and liter of the blue brake fluid. $380 shipped

I'll be doing those suckers next week. In the meantime, I think I need some deepcreep to remove that retaining bolt (agreed?). I'll bleed while pushing (slowly) the calipers out, so the dirty stuff comes out the bottom (agree?). What is the brake grease called I need to put on the pins and on the back of the pads?

Should I start with the back right first?

Pointers from the best of the best are appreciated.

kayger12
04-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I used this for my anti-squeal http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Braking/View_All/ES2145142/

You might not need the penetrating lubricant for the rotor retaining bolts, but I would have four new bolts on hand in case you have to drill them out (they're cheap).

In the case of the last brake job I did on my friend's E36, the two rears came out no problem, driver's front needed a 5 minute oil soak, and the passenger front rotor retaining bolt was so tight that I actually snapped my 6mm hex-head socket on it trying to get it out.

As for bleeding while pushing the caliper, I've never heard of that method. I would just bleed prior to doing the job if you're worried about pushing garbage up the lines. Someone smarter than I might have a different and better opinion, though.

And as for the bleed, you are correct-- furthest point from the reservoir to closest point. So for us, passenger rear, then driver rear, passenger front, driver front.

Oli77
04-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Keith, will do and report back with pics of the rotors and perhaps, the hand of the clunk.

But man, just came back from Louisville, 1 hour away, our cars are so smooth on the highway, just adapts to the road and the wind...pleasure. hmhmhm

spencers
04-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I use CRC anti squeal. It's a red paste that you apply between the backside of the brake pads and the caliper. Works well!

Oli77
04-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks Spencers, anti-squeal is the stuff I need ;). Do you guys put a tad on the pins too ?

kayger12
04-30-2011, 01:10 PM
I only put it where there will be metal to metal contact with the pads.

I don't put any on the caliper guide bolts or anywhere else.

Oli77
04-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Check and thanks!

spencers
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks Spencers, anti-squeal is the stuff I need ;). Do you guys put a tad on the pins too ?

No sir. That would seize up the pins, as the CRC stuff is a paste-like glue.

Oli77
05-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Done with the brakes! THANKS RAY.

Took my time and had no problems. Just in time for the Derby.

The dreaded seized bolts that hold the rotor to the hub came off no problem (drenched them with PB blaster first).
I first bled each caliper with the old pads still on in order to prevent pushing the old brown brake fluid into the system.
Caliper pins came off easy (22 ft/lb).
The carrier bolts were easy to remove in the back (50 ft/lb). On the front the same bolts (81 ft/lb) were significantly harder to loosen (OK I am weak).
I had to bang at 12,3,6,9 o'clock a bunch of time but the rotors came off eventually.
Bled the system with blue stuff and did the 2 man job all the way around (RR, RL, then FR and FL) until the new brake fluid came out.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06569.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06572.jpg

Went out slow and I had brakes!

The bite is not here yet, I have to bed them now... 60 down to 10 a bunch of time is that it?

danewilson77
05-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Read the bed in procedure at www.zeckhausenracing.com

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
05-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice work!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Oli77
05-07-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks Dane and Keith. Small step for me, giant step for my wallet!
Spencers will appreciate the red stuff on my pads :)

Oli77
05-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Brakes are getting a little better after 8-9 days and 300 miles.

I have NOT heard any hint of a clunk coming from the front upon braking since brakes were changed. Keeping fingers crossed. Strangely enough what I have always thought was a clunk coming from the back on downshifting seems to have also disappeared. I think for the first time since owning the car, it is clunk free!

So we continue the second year of ownership with $380 on brakes. Add the CA and we are already near $700. Let's stop right here Oh please Bimmer God.

Oli77
07-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Might as well put a couple of pics as I learned to digitally slam my car.

As is:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06575.jpg

And after photoshop magic Gangsta style:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06575slammed.jpg

danewilson77
07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
:drool

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Oli77
07-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Just keeping up with my purchases for winter preparation.

Bought these style 57's from an X3 owner ($80/set :biggrin).

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06798.jpg

Then found 2 Zottozero Pirelli's runflats for $90.

Will put pic here mounted.

One has a bulge :eyetwitch.

Oli77
09-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Wooot woot, just placed an order through one of our advertiser (Khoalty) for some chrome gauge rings.

+ Sharpie and will almost look like you guys.

A ZHP wanabe I am.

danewilson77
09-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Wooot woot, just placed an order through one of our advertiser (Khoalty) for some chrome gauge rings.

+ Sharpie and will almost look like you guys.

A ZHP wanabe I am.

Your a full fledged family member. That's what matters.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Oli77
09-04-2011, 01:07 PM
:thumbsup Yessir!

Oli77
09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Sharpie mod and rings.

Still thinking about it.

Before and after:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06849.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06852.jpg

I disconnected the battery to do this. Upon restart, I had lost time, average MPH and MPG as well. Radio stations stayed. Not sure about bluetooth phone directory yet.

Hermes
09-10-2011, 11:17 AM
nice work, so you just 'painted' the red needles?

danewilson77
09-10-2011, 11:48 AM
nice work, so you just 'painted' the red needles?

Yes. With a red Sharpie marker.

Oli77
09-10-2011, 12:13 PM
:ninja +4 HP at least

danewilson77
09-10-2011, 12:26 PM
It actually dyno'd at around 7Hp on my old 326i.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Silver%20Bimmer/DSC02122sz1100.jpg

ryankokesh
09-10-2011, 07:24 PM
sharpie's haz power. unfortunately, my 325 is still slow as sh!t.

Oli77
09-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Deep down, I think I have 3 L under the hood and a mislabeled trunk. I haz power.

danewilson77
09-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Deep down, I think I have 3 L under the hood and a mislabeled trunk. I haz power.

Nice. It's happened before.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
09-21-2011, 06:49 AM
I'll let you guys know in a years time on my findings and how much I have spent for maintenance...if I remember that far down to come back to this thread.....LOL.

Oli77
11-26-2011, 11:51 AM
At 73,130 miles, I finally got the wheels I purchased this summer mounted with the Pirelli Sottozerro and 2 new Hankook iPike winter ($284 shipped).

Cleaned the car yesterday and put on the winter wheels. Bring on the snow.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06974.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06973.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC06971.jpg

nike001
11-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Are those x3 rims? They don't look bad at all!

Oli77
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes they are. Style 57s. I got them this summer for $80 a set!

danewilson77
11-26-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes they are. Style 57s. I got them this summer for $80 a set!

Looks great Oli.

Oli77
03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Update on stuff done at 75000 miles (2 hr job):

Cleaned MAF.

Then ICV and throttle intake cleaned. I had been suffering from momentary lapses of idle control with rmp dips into the 580-600 for about 6 months. This would happen when coming to a full stop at a light in neutral.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07184.jpg

Before: You can see where it was sticking and deffinitely not moving freely when I took it out.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07189.jpg

And after:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07190.jpg

Seems to be smooth. Time will tell.

Oli77
04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Coming up on 2 year anniversary. Still enjoying the performance every single day!

I will post a recap of the second year soon (with totals).

Oli77
04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
Recap of second year of ownership total at ~$1500 (including oil change and miscellaneous stuff).

Start 3rd year

Data before/after on the alignment done at the dealer for $160:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07243.jpg

Not bad, assuming it had never been done.

Oli77
04-20-2012, 01:41 PM
http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07212.jpg

Oli77
05-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Noticed an oil leak behind alternator area and suspected OFHG leak.

Sure enough:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07264.jpg

The gasket cost $5. I also replaced the crank vent hose down to the CCV $15. Oil change $60.

Car has 76k.

Oli77
05-19-2012, 12:17 PM
At 77K miles, refreshed ATF in power steering reservoir with a quart of Valvoline maxlife Dex/Merc ATF.

NorCalZman
05-19-2012, 12:31 PM
I asked my dealership if power steering fluid was a regular replace item and he said he thought it was lifetime fluid. Ugh, I hate when they say that. What's the general rule for it here?

Oli77
05-19-2012, 02:23 PM
I don't know really what it should be but I figured it was due. It was dark red. I think it is exchanged maybe every 50 K miles?

kayger12
05-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I asked my dealership if power steering fluid was a regular replace item and he said he thought it was lifetime fluid. Ugh, I hate when they say that. What's the general rule for it here?

Mike Miller suggests every 30K.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

NorCalZman
05-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I might insist then. Especially if it's dark red. Is it supposed to be clear or something?

kayger12
05-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Should be translucent red.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3

Oli77
09-08-2012, 09:17 AM
New oem right control arm put in by local indy at 79K miles for $335.

danewilson77
09-08-2012, 10:26 AM
New oem right control arm put in by local indy at 79K miles for $335.

And new CAB, right?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Oli77
09-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Nope, Mr. Indy just reuses the CABs.

I saw him do it ~10K miles ago when he did the left one. I know, it's against the Bentley rule. But that's the way he does them.

I have have no trouble on the left since he did it.

I'm sure I'll catch some flack for it but I can't do them myself and I don't feel right telling Mr. Bates that the CABs really should be changed. Actually I did last time and he agreed if you went "per the book". I have HD Meyles in there and he pops the CA on and off.

danewilson77
09-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Did you see how he got them off? No grief bro.

Oli77
09-08-2012, 02:47 PM
Yep, pressed them thru on a rig like that:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_14133.jpg

Oli77
10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Hit 80,000 miles this week.

Beautiful Fall day in KY. Took the pic at Keeneland (horse racing in Lexington).

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC07889.jpg

danewilson77
10-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Beautiful buddy.

Oli77
10-21-2012, 04:42 PM
Tanks Boass.

Oli77
12-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Update.

OFHG is still looking good.

Added ~ 200 ml of water to expansion tank (not bad since ~ 2 years).

The ICV is starting to do the dip-low-then-back-to-700 rpm-dance when coming to a full stop in neutral. It was cleaned 7 months ago, I might just purchase a new one next year.

Leatherette seat repair only lasted until recently (here) (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6691-Mafia-experience-with-Leatherette-crack&highlight=leatherette+repair).

Switch to winter tires (81K miles). Changed cabin air filter.

Car is still a pleasure to drive. No vibrations, no front end clunck, tracks straighter than an arrow.

Coming to the end of the 3rd year of ownership still a very happy bee-M-double-U enthusiast.

Oli77
02-18-2013, 12:51 PM
The rmp dip to 500 when coming to a stop seems to have stopped with a clean of the MAF and a new air filter.

Was going to change the upper intake boot (small tear) but I had bought the lower one :facepalm. I'll change both next time I am in there.

echo46
02-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Icv and throttle clean?

Oli77
02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I did ICV clean about 1 year ago (see post #59 above).

I stopped taking things apart when I realized I didn't have a new upper intake (ordering that now). When I will replace both boots, I will inspect ICV and DISA, as well as clean throttle body. For now, though, it is amazing the dip to 500 rmp is gone.

echo46
02-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Ah, my bad. I think you got it with th vacuum leak from the tear in the upper intake boot.

Oli77
02-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Thing is, I did not replace any of the boots yet, so I still have a small tear in the upper boot.

Either MAF cleaner or new filter did it :dunno.

echo46
02-18-2013, 01:32 PM
I can believe that. Glad you found it. Sometimes those rpm dips can be maddening.

Dave_B
02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Just read every page, Oli. Sounds like your a happy owner!

Given my track record with cars, I wonder if I'll still have mine in 3 years LOL

Oli77
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks for reading!

Yes, Happy Mafia Member here. :happyspidey

Still very much enjoy driving it and will continue to dabble in DIY territory as long as my friends here guide me in the process.

Oli77
02-24-2013, 02:02 PM
82,xxx miles, changed lower and upper intake boots (top had a small tear).

Took ICV out again and even though I cleaned that sucker about one year ago (11 months, ~ 7000 miles), there was build up again and the valve in there was not smoothly moving.

All shinny inside again...

danewilson77
02-24-2013, 04:52 PM
82,xxx miles, changed lower and upper intake boots (top had a small tear).

Took ICV out again and even though I cleaned that sucker about one year ago (11 months, ~ 7000 miles), there was build up again and the valve in there was not smoothly moving.

All shinny inside again...

Good data Oli. Thanks for keeping your maintenance thread updated.

Williamsburg, VA, Droid DNA, Tapatalk

Oli77
04-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Washed the salt and dirt:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08117_zps90082bf1.jpg

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08120_zpse026db74.jpg

Then switched out of the winter tire setup at 83,340 miles.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08122_zps796f66ca.jpg

All weather I am putting on have about 20,000 miles on them (original new when I purchased the car). They make noise when I slow down but I have to deal with them one more season.

Approximate 3 year of ownership, repair/ maintenance cost: $600.

danewilson77
04-06-2013, 11:20 AM
One of the cleanest cars here. Nice Oli.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/mmmmmmmmmmm85626.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Funny/gangnam.gif

Oli77
04-07-2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks DW, but it's not that clean. Pictures hide the blemishes very well and believe me there are quite a lot of them. I also don't know how to detail car well.

This is giving me an idea to perhaps get one of those:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71giNobNRuL._SL1500_.jpg

Oli77
06-22-2013, 11:29 AM
85,000 miles, changed oil and filter. Mobil1 0w40.

Oli77
07-07-2013, 08:29 AM
:ninja Bought an eBay trunk lip, painted and shipped for $39.:ninja

Oli77
07-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Taiwan-China-Hawaii-California-Indiana-Kentucky in 4 days with FedeX.

Ordered from painted_king2011 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231009296932?item=231009296932&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr). Fit and color are both perfect:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08183_zps44a5d443.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08183_zps44a5d443.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08185_zpsb2a36fdf.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08185_zpsb2a36fdf.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08186_zpse4ba3593.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08186_zpse4ba3593.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08189_zps1c432b11.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08189_zps1c432b11.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08188_zpsef48e83c.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08188_zpsef48e83c.jpg.html)

danewilson77
07-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Taiwan-China-Hawaii-California-Indiana-Kentucky in 4 days with FedeX.

Ordered from painted_king2011 on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/231009296932?item=231009296932&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr). Fit and color are both perfect:

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08183_zps44a5d443.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08183_zps44a5d443.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08185_zpsb2a36fdf.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08185_zpsb2a36fdf.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08186_zpse4ba3593.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08186_zpse4ba3593.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08189_zps1c432b11.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08189_zps1c432b11.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08188_zpsef48e83c.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08188_zpsef48e83c.jpg.html)

Excellent work Oli.

HTC DNA, Williamsburg, VA

Oli77
07-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Thanks Dane! Glad I didn't need to borrow your FCAB extractor with the sub-particle accelerator for that one.

Oli77
07-13-2013, 07:08 AM
More pics.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08190_zps17594aec.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08190_zps17594aec.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08191_zpse058b226.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08191_zpse058b226.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08193_zpse679199b.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08193_zpse679199b.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08192_zps32ab7d99.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08192_zps32ab7d99.jpg.html)

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/DSC08194_zps4770d975.jpg (http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/DSC08194_zps4770d975.jpg.html)

danewilson77
07-13-2013, 07:13 AM
That looks super.

johnrando
07-13-2013, 09:17 PM
+1. Thanks for the extra pics.

Oli77
11-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Traditional time of the year to put on the other pair of shoes at 87,200 miles.

Ready for the cold and snow (Pirelli Sottozero in the back and Hankook iPike in the front).

Oli77
02-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Battery died yesterday at work and a friendly person gave me a jump.

Had a 2008 sticker on it so about right at 6 years old.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/02ysag3urrh0cog/2014-02-22%2009.43.24.jpg

The OBC 19.9 (V at battery read from the cabin) was displaying 9.1 V! Couldn't start with that.

Replaced with Walmart H6 Maxx something or rather, for $121.

Oli77
02-22-2014, 11:14 AM
I have always used photobucket to paste pictures on the forum and I am now trying to use dropbox. Not being successful with that. I get the shared link but it is not displaying the image (even with).

Should I stick with photobucket? By the way, if you guys click link above do you see the pic?

Never mind. Got it (I think)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27597541/2014-02-22%2009.43.18.jpg

ELCID86
03-01-2014, 12:56 PM
I see the picture now.

Any reason you don't just upload to the forum site so you don't have to worry about the hosting? This also allows others of us that can't access DBox, PBucket, etc. at work to see pictures when looking during our *cough* breaks.

Oli77
03-01-2014, 02:23 PM
How do you upload to the forum?

ELCID86
03-01-2014, 02:39 PM
It's easy with tapatalk app. Otherwise you have to "go advanced" to see the attachments icon.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Oli77
03-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Damn a bear, camembert! I never saw that attachment icon before! Thanks bud!

ELCID86
03-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Damn a bear, camembert! I never saw that attachment icon before! Thanks bud!

:-) not sure why it doesn't show up on the quick reply post. Maybe the mods can change that.

Oli77
03-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Another milestone:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27597541/IMAG0087.jpg

danewilson77
03-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Hell ya!

Oli77
03-30-2014, 11:23 AM
89,170 miles, put all season tires back on. Hope snow is over with this season.

Oli77
05-10-2014, 11:14 AM
Approximate 4th year ownsership only ~ $250 and that's a battery and oil.

Changed oil at 90K miles.

Endlinks need attention.

Oli77
05-10-2014, 11:17 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/11/yqa2e8ad.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Oli77
05-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Out with the old in with the new. About $60. 3 hours because I had to stop and get a pair of thin vice grips to hold the metal bit and prevent the ball joint from spinning.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/18/2yzyve2u.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Oli77
05-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Clunks in front when going onto, and driving off driveways was only temporary gone. Started again, so retightenned all to 55 ft-lbs (Bentley recommends 48 ft-lbs). Broke one Lemfoerder shaft.

Bought a replacement (from Turkey) at local autoshop for $37. Tightenned to 55 ft-lbs no problem.

Clunkyness appears mostly gone...time will tell.

Oli77
07-24-2014, 03:32 PM
Changed idler pulley and tensioner pulley, ~35 minutes and ~$65 at ECS tuning. Old ones rolled and rolled and rolled, pretty freely.

Oli77
07-26-2014, 11:23 AM
Changed spark plugs (~$45) while waiting for a water pump.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/27/y5e3y3an.jpg

Out with the old. Could be originals at 91k miles. Looks good but what do I know?

Oli77
08-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Change water pump at 91.5 K with a Stewart pump ~$170.

Refreshed coolant ~$24.

The oem that was replaced about 3 years ago only lasted about 21K miles (that's the one dealer sells for $165). For a few dollars more the lifetime Stewart pump is a no brainer.

Oli77
11-23-2014, 10:07 AM
93620, put on winter shoes.

Oli77
03-10-2015, 02:58 PM
96xxx take off winter boots.

Tomorrow: Michelin Pilot AS3. On at 97008 miles.

Oli77
03-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Changed oil at 97,774 miles (DIYed for ~$54 oil and filter).

Love those Michelin pilot sport AS/3! Quiet, sticky, firm, excellent in heavy rain on the highway. Nothing but goodness right there.

Approximately $400 for 5th year of ownership. Add ~$800 for the Michelin and alignment. So total of $1200.

Oli77
03-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Fixed the weisslicht halo with a bit of solder today. Took ring out removed backing on ring and redid the connection between the two circuit boards. Full circles are all working.

Oli77
06-08-2015, 09:36 AM
At the Mafia meet on 06/07/15 in Mason Ohio, and at 99K miles, I changed the rear shocks (to Koni STR-T) cause one of them was leaking.

Also changed the shock mounts (sachs) and installed reinforcement plates.

Total was $211 from ECS.

Got a P2231 error code.

ELCID86
06-08-2015, 04:04 PM
At the Mafia meet on 06/07/15 in Mason Ohio, and at 99K miles, I changed the rear shocks (to Koni STR-T) cause one of them was leaking.

Also changed the shock mounts (sachs) and installed reinforcement plates.

Total was $211 from ECS.

Got a P2231 error code.

Nice work (and nice meeting you). Don't forget the CDV delete!

Oli77
06-08-2015, 04:49 PM
^ Thanks! how could I forget that! It has made the car nicer to drive.

This may be the first deviation from "stock"! :eyetwitch

I have Konis and CDV delete now (* done at MafiaFest2015 by Shawn).

ELCID86
06-08-2015, 04:50 PM
Glad you like it. Drive's like you are in control...

Oli77
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
Hit 100,000 miles this week!

Averaged 29.4 MPG (from cluster) driving near the speed limit (+/- 10) with AC on.

Added a half quart oil (~3000K miles since last oil change).

Oli77
07-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Wish me luck as I tackle the front suspension now. I will be putting in the Koni STR T in the front. Bought new bump stops (Rein), upper strut mounts (Lemforder) and reinforcement plates (Genuine BMW). $364 shipped from ECS.

Got a 22 mm socket and a pipe wrench to tighten the struts. Spent time looking for the spark plug/ oxygen sensor 7/8th inch to no avail. Everything I found would not go into the upper strut mount. So pipe wrench over the 22 mm deep socket will have to do while I hang on to the shaft of the strut with an allen key.

Friend is letting be borrow spring compressors.

Also will rotate tires (~4K miles since I put them on). Car has 100,800 miles now.

Just_George
07-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Remove the entire strut assembly first, put your spring compressors on, then use an impact wrench to remove the nut on top. Piece of cake...

Oli77
07-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Yes, not worried about disassembling, I can put vice grips on the shaft of the old shock. I just keep reading it is not advisable to use an impact wrench on the new shocks.

As such, I found a way to do it gently without buying this:

johnrando
07-10-2015, 05:25 AM
GL!

sent from mobile device

BMWCurves
07-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Good luck, let me know how it goes. I plan to do the whole suspension in a couple of weeks sans impact wrench.

Oli77
07-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Total fail. Wrong shocks was the latest from ecs.

Oli77
07-10-2015, 02:09 PM

Oli77
07-10-2015, 03:11 PM
Bottom perch is at correct height. Fits down low into the knuckle no problem.

Its too tall. Guys at ECS tuning are baffled. The right shocks were sent and should fit the ZSP. Gave them my last 6 numbers of my VIN, and they said that this should fit theslightly lowered e46 (from the factory, ZSP). They look like they may work for an XI maybe.

So they are shipping new ones free of charge and sending me an RMA with free return. I am very worried the next shocks will be the same. You guys that have done this before, the new shock out of the box should be the same overall height when extended upward as the old original correct?

Anybody had this trouble before? Fully extended, with the spring compressors released the springs raise the top hat almost 3 inches above normal.

Help, am i doing something wrong?

az3579
07-10-2015, 03:50 PM
You asked me to comment. Unfortunately I can't because I have Bilsteins so the information would be irrelevant. :(

sent from my Droid Turbo

Just_George
07-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Interesting. Keep in mind that there is no 'load' on the spring, so it will probably extend farther than what you expect. I think when I put the Koni Sports on my 330Ci, I had enough 'droop' in the front suspension to set the strut in the lower knuckle, then raise the assembly with a jack to bolt the strut mount in (compressing the spring a bit in the process) Been a while since I did it, so details are fuzzy....but could it be that you have the correct struts and the springs are just at full extension with no load on them?

Oli77
07-10-2015, 05:06 PM
^ but the originals with the same springs were not that tall.

The shaft is going up too much. It should have an internal stop going up but that stop is like 3 inches higher than the original BMW shock.

BMWCurves
07-10-2015, 07:36 PM
I know little about suspension, but should that matter? I assume they are linear progression struts so no matter how compressed the strut is, it has the same amount of rebound pressure and therefore won't affect its function if it needs to be compressed some at its resting position. Someone who knows more can chime in.

Oli77
07-11-2015, 04:19 AM
You asked me to comment. Unfortunately I can't because I have Bilsteins so the information would be irrelevant. :(

sent from my Droid Turbo

Thanks man. Just realized most people who do this job take the opportunity to lower the car. Hence the height of the unit is necessarily shorter. I am staying at stock height.

Oli77
07-11-2015, 04:33 AM
I know little about suspension, but should that matter? I assume they are linear progression struts so no matter how compressed the strut is, it has the same amount of rebound pressure and therefore won't affect its function if it needs to be compressed some at its resting position. Someone who knows more can chime in.
Agree, but I can't be putting the whole unit in there with compression rig still attached

danewilson77
07-11-2015, 05:39 PM
It looks correct to me. When I assemble mine I can just barely get the top nut and washer on.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

ELCID86
07-11-2015, 05:59 PM
It looks correct to me. When I assemble mine I can just barely get the top nut and washer on.

I agree.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

BMWCurves
07-11-2015, 06:11 PM
I haven't replaced mine yet but looking at my Koni sports (yellows) that I plan to install, the piston (?) doesn't sit nearly as low as your OE shock on the right when it's "at rest." You can't fit it in as is?

Oli77
07-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Nope, too tall. That Koni orange at rest goes up a solid 2 inches above original. So with springs on, it ain't going in.

Oli77
07-12-2015, 07:23 AM
I am not the only one! Exactly the problem. Right here.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785128

Hope new ones arriving Tuesday will be shorter. And the guy from bavauto in that link is wrong, you can see in my pics, its more like three inches too tall.

danewilson77
07-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Status update?

Oli77
07-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Arrrgh, no delivery yet.

These won't work, I am pretty sure. Will have to try the KYB or the Meyle which ARE labelled for sport suspension on the ECS tuning site.

Thanks for the bump boss.

Oli77
07-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Was scheduled for delivery today before 8 PM. Got nothing. Tracking says box is Indianapolis...

Oli77
07-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, overnight FedEx hasn't really delivered anything today. Akron OH, is like 6 hours away!!!!

The guy at ECS tuning was nice and doubled checked with my VIN that the Bilstein B4 for Sport suspension would work. But... They're out of stock till the end of the month. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo...

KYB makes a great shock for the Sport suspension on the e46 did you know?

They are being FedExed over.. . . meanwhile, my 1993 Camry that smells like mildew is my ride.

Vas
07-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Depending on what way it was shipped with FedEx overnight, it can deliver late in the afternoon or by the end of business day.

Check the tracking number to see if its on the vehicle for delivery.

Oli77
07-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Wrong again, the Koni STR.T will not fit:

Oli77
07-15-2015, 02:38 PM
I am not used to playing with suspension stuff at all but clearly, at rest, the Koni is one inch too tall.

The problem is that the original BMW shock on the left can be extended up maybe 1/4 of an inch.

The koni on the right, at least a solid inch.

In the end, with the coils relaxed, there is a 2 inch difference and the Koni can not fit (see pics several posts above).

Getting the KYB Excel-G FedExed ...

ELCID86
07-15-2015, 03:43 PM
When we pulled my OE shocks, Bruce S. and Stuart M. noticed they would compress and had to be pulled out. We assumed it was a defect in the shock. Perhaps they can comment as BP, Dan and I left to try and find a replacement set.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Oli77
07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Shawn,

Mine compress and come back up all the way and they have 100 K miles. They are still alright I guess. The thing is, I have it apart, so might as well put something new back on.

I had assumed that because the back went bad, so did the front. When I compressed the back shocks we changed at the Mafiafest 2015, they stayed compressed and never came back up.

Oli77
07-17-2015, 02:32 PM
The KYB Excel-G arrived today! And....they fit! In a side by side comparison, the KYB Excel-G are almost an exact replica of the original BMW shock. The Koni Str.T were not by a long shot.

They are a little taller than the original but not as tall as the Koni STR.T with springs relaxed.
Was tricky install, had to remove the brake caliper and compress them a bit.

The key, that was missing from my knowledge base and that I would like to share with you, is that you have to put the top part of the shock and spring combination (with upper strut mount) up in the shock tower and secure with a couple of nuts. THEN, attach the knuckle at the bottom of the shock.

Again, I had to have some degree of spring compression during the mounting process because overall, those KYB Excel-G are a bit taller than OEM.

Will to the left side tomorrow.

ELCID86
07-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Glad it worked out. A floor jack can help with compression and an extra set of hands is almost a must.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

Oli77
07-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Yes, I used the hydraulic jack under the control arm outer ball joint to raise the knuckle all the way up and then tighten the knuckle bolt.

Even with that done right (I think), the car currently sits about 1.5 cm higher than the original. Weird because everyone says the springs are what determines the height. I did add the rough road plates above the upper strut mount but that probably only added 2 mm.

Maybe the springs will need time to "seat" into their new position?

ELCID86
07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
It may drop a bit when you drive it.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

johnrando
07-20-2015, 06:29 AM
Yup, it should.

Oli77
07-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Still looks like I am driving an XI!

It feels darn good and tight though. Much improved cornering performance for sure.

Oli77
08-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Rotated new tires after about 5000 miles. ~1017xx miles.

Oli77
11-01-2015, 07:38 AM

Oli77
11-30-2015, 03:58 PM
Bought some Lemfoerder FCABs ~$100 at ECS tunning.

johnrando
12-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oli77
01-11-2016, 03:08 PM
Put on the winter tires at 103,329 miles.

Getting the P2231 pending pretty regularly. . .

Oli77
03-03-2016, 01:55 PM
At 104,074 miles, had transmission and differential oil changed by Indy for ~$200. I assumed those were still originals.

Changed oil.

Will tackle new FCABs this weekend.

ELCID86
03-05-2016, 05:53 AM
At 104,xxx miles, had transmission and differential oil changed by Indy for ~$200. I assumed those were still originals.

Good call.

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Oli77
03-06-2016, 06:48 AM
Woah, the new Lemfoerder FCABs are sweet and I believe have reinstated that "unique driving experience".

Oli77
03-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Put the Pilot super sports back on (and rotated) at 104,500 miles.

Oli77
04-22-2016, 04:39 PM
Sixth year of ownership, spend $880 this year.

I have a severe series of clunk when turning right on a smooth surface. I think its the outer ball joint on the CA.

Hard to be clunk-free! :facepalm

Oli77
05-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Third time may be a charm, well let's hope! Had to remove card door again this time did more of the butyl tape (entire) bottom of vapor barrier.

Also realigned the angel eyes and cleaned the area hard.

Oli77
05-22-2016, 09:39 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/bbba2bc6da66b13e16ddaf9a9500c3cd.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/39f93bf965a5ddefbca5d0dd7b66330c.jpg

ELCID86
05-22-2016, 10:29 AM
Looking good.

Oli77
05-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Thanks Shawn, it was all cockeyed before that.

Oli77
05-27-2016, 09:30 AM
Butyl tape did work on the third attempt to fix the leak. Finally!

ELCID86
05-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Butyl tape did work on the third attempt to fix the leak. Finally!

:happyspidey

Oli77
06-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Finally driving clunk-free again! I had indy guy put in new control arms (lemfoerder) $730 at 105,400 miles. The FCABs are new so things are tight. Guy does not understand why both inner ball joints had a lot of play (up and down) and were shot. These only lasted about 40K miles ~5 years.

Went to another indy shop before that, and the guy diagnosed both control arms and a new steering rack!

I walked away politely and will never go back to him.

ELCID86
06-02-2016, 04:01 PM
Glad you got it solved (and found a good shop).

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Oli77
11-08-2016, 01:34 PM
As I was resetting the time this weekend, moving the clock back 10 hours and 50,...51,...52,..53, 54,55 minutes, I felt a crunch at the tip of my finger.

Now my clock can no longer be changed and worst yet, it is behind by 5 minutes!

Aaaaarghhhhh.

I need to get in there and re-glue something I bet. Probably broke a cogwheel or something.

johnrando
11-09-2016, 10:23 AM
bummer

Oli77
11-22-2016, 03:22 PM
$230 oxygen sensor replaced (bank 1) by iddy. Car was shaking significantly at idle when warm and p2231 was a solid code (had been pending for ~1 year on and off).

Oli77
12-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Must

Put

Winter tires on...

and oil is dripping on the garage floor. :eyetwitch

Oli77
12-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Winter tires on and oil change at 108K.

Oil leak came from O-ring at top of filter housing.

Guess ~ 9 months between oil change is a bad idea for that o-ring.

Shop did a nice job cleaning it up.

Still Clunk-free.

johnrando
12-27-2016, 11:15 PM
Nice

Oli77
01-12-2017, 06:24 PM
108.8K miles, changed cabin and engine air filters.

Oli77
02-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Seventh year of ownership, $960 this year.

Keeping it at around $1000 a year not bad for a 12 year old car.

Oli77
03-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Valve cover gasket started leaking near 109k miles.
I can smell it and see it.

Will do it when I put in the new windshield cowl I got for my birthday.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Oli77
03-25-2017, 02:02 PM
New cowl in and VCG.
Ecs tuning cowl (~$70) could fit a little more snug.
Better than the cracked one one.
VCG went alright except for the 2 middle nut-on-nut ones that hold the grounds. Top nut would unwind bottom nut, and with the wires attached, that was a problem.
Managed best I could with small cutting wheel and Dremel to make a grove.
Worked for one, and not in other. Had to cut wires. Resoldered in the end. Fingers crossed on that.
Used Grey permatex at half moons.
Fingers crossed on that too. 295002950129502295032950429505

ELCID86
03-26-2017, 09:39 AM
Nice work Oli!

Oli77
03-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks Shawn. First expense for this year ~$70 for gasket and sealant.

ELCID86
03-26-2017, 02:48 PM
Thanks Shawn. First expense for this year ~$70 for gasket and sealant.

I hope it stays that way!

johnrando
03-27-2017, 07:50 AM
Good stuff. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oli77
03-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Thanks Rando.
Rubber was dry for sure at ~109 k miles.
I have to be careful, my wife has put a maximum maintenance fee of $1000 per year.
If I go above that limit, she will push for selling the car.
Maybe I get an i3 electric?

Oli77
04-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Put the Pilot super sports back on (and rotated) at 109,500 miles.

Bought cheap-o winter tires (2) $140 delivered. I am sure those will be better than those really bad Pirelli Sotozeros.

Oli77
06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Was doing paint correction for the first time today. My orbital polisher from Griot's worked well. Did 2 passes with orange pads then one pass with red pad. Finished it by hand using a polymer.

That really made my chips show up.

So I bought some Dr. Colorchip. The chip I had done about 5 years ago with this stuff are still well covered. Time for more. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/cf66cfe0f0bc14ea3cb9c1a6d0ae431b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170609/90847146b206ea1745b6269e145cda3f.jpg

Oli77
07-29-2017, 10:31 AM
Oil change at 111k miles.

Oli77
08-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Successfully tightened my handbrake. Finally, after years of frustrations (mostly because with trifocal glasses, it is a PITA to see down that little hole), I found out that the ring must be rotated towards the front of the car when doing the rear right wheel and towards the back of the car when doing the rear left.

ELCID86
08-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Successfully tightened my handbrake. Finally, after years of frustrations (mostly because with trifocal glasses, it is a PITA to see down that little hole), I found out that the ring must be rotated towards the front of the car when doing the rear right wheel and towards the back of the car when doing the rear left.

I need to do this. Not as easy with studs installed I fear.

Oli77
08-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Good luck with it Shawn. How do you remove a stud? It has an alen-type socket at the tip?

Oli77
09-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Fixed the cluster so I got time control again. Big win.
Re sharpied the needles red.
The temp sensor started working again too. I turned the needle 2, 3 times through the entire range.

johnrando
09-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Nice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oli77
09-23-2017, 07:21 AM
Massive mod today, installed an auto dim mirror (used $25$ including shipping from a cool forum member msbc721). Love it.

Oli77
10-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Oh oh @ 111692 miles. Think the expansion tank is not the culprit as this seep is occurring above it.
Need to come up with a plan...

Need new temp sensor while in there.

À new radiator.

À new expansion tank and mount.

Water pump is ok and I have a gallon in BMW antifreeze mix.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/de2e13caf01eca2e37cf350f344c3560.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/44bb6466abe96d7c3aba2a6ef3c535fe.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171014/f31f26cf877fe1ca0c0fc40a93cf14eb.jpg

Dual
10-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Thanks much for these pics. Would this be the first replacement of these components in the car's life?

Oli77
10-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Yes

Oli77
10-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Dropped car off to replace leaking radiator, expansion tank, and upper hose. Ouch $530.

And then this :https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/91d241b9f0e235fdcf1c9abb41a73604.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/4d51400b6be9287d3b3bbcb0a8d369b5.jpg

danewilson77
10-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Dropped car off to replace leaking radiator, expansion tank, and upper hose. Ouch $530.

And then this :https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/91d241b9f0e235fdcf1c9abb41a73604.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171021/4d51400b6be9287d3b3bbcb0a8d369b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using TapatalkBeautiful

Sent from my S8+

Oli77
11-18-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks Dane!

Installed winter tires today at 11233 miles. Two are new and cheap (Winguards I think), of course the other two are also cheap (Ipikes).
Should work.
Maybe even better than the Sottozeros that I thought were not very good all (traction wise).

Will report back once inside winter.

danewilson77
11-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Thanks Dane!

Installed winter tires today at 11233 miles.

What?

Sent from my S8+

Oli77
11-19-2017, 09:35 AM
You commented on the bar several days (weeks ago) and I had not seen it.

and also because you are a great boss of the mafia.

danewilson77
11-25-2017, 08:27 PM
You commented on the bar several days (weeks ago) and I had not seen it.

and also because you are a great boss of the mafia.No.... Lol. You car only has 11K+ miles on it?

Or maybe that's on the winter tires?

Sent from my S8+

Oli77
11-25-2017, 09:35 PM
112k miles. My bad.

Oli77
12-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Changed a leaking power steering hose from the cooler to the rack. Hose was $56 shipped.
Took the opportunity to freshen up the power steering fluid (which was still very red and young looking).

Oli77
01-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Beginning 8th year of ownership, trying to keep it under $1000 per year in maintenance. So including the strut bar and 2 winter tires I am at $1025 for this year.

I need a new expension tank installed. It is seeping coolant at top. Too cold to tackle in my non-heated garage and shop will do it for me tomorrow... Will report cost...

Oli77
01-08-2018, 03:07 PM
New expansion tank, universal coolant too, insert shifty eyes.
[emoji852]️[emoji32][emoji44]

$200 to start the year.

ELCID86
01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Good job last year. $800 to go. I hope she treats you right.

johnrando
01-09-2018, 08:24 AM
+1

Oli77
04-15-2018, 09:36 AM
Changed back to summer tires at 114851 miles.

Oli77
06-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Getting a vibration when breaking above 45-50 Mph. Considering Ray sold me the rotors and pads 7 years and ~40k miles ago, I think it's time for a new set.

You guys agree? My rotors have warped? Oh Ray? Smilez?

johnrando
06-04-2018, 08:28 PM
That would be my guess

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fredo
06-05-2018, 03:44 AM
Could it be the FCABs ? I remember my advisor told me that could be a symptom.

Oli77
06-05-2018, 04:11 AM
Hope not! My car does destroy fcabs. I am on 2 replacement sets, including control arms in 45k miles!
Betting on brakes.
Is Smilez still around?

fredo
06-05-2018, 04:21 AM
Try contacting him directly. He has email and phone on post #1.

Oli77
06-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Thanks, good idea.

Oli77
06-10-2018, 10:19 AM
While waiting on a quote from Ray.

Tool care of some detailing.

Not sure why I have been wanting to sell it, after this, I am not sure I can.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/0b7e6458857fd58f1f231a73c2c26140.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/871aa78d90ddca2496dcbe3d65d5ab11.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/a0e7cb5d07e310a17ae29c5cfc3cee37.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/26c61e1b08967c79a0549167a242291e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/c5f349211adedf4846c03f7d1ed67078.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/d53c38c4d7f074ea942cfbfda04109c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/2f72421e3239595ea11b86992071b9be.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/619e19cab1ab8e43ee586ad82f301d44.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/dfa77d203782883289d8b4cec0397188.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/ce45271c648e42b28f7e3edfa4008f4a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/69d0b1aadf1a5e81cf81aba6c0c4a2a9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180610/92b3cbfd8780466a8d0b9f6ecfc71075.jpg

fredo
06-10-2018, 05:56 PM
Looks sharp. Can you keep this one as an extra car ?

BMWCurves
06-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Looks sharp. Can you keep this one as an extra car ?

+1

johnrando
06-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Def looks great

Oli77
06-11-2018, 04:50 PM
I could keep it but not sure. I could give it to my son who is currently living abroad and who is thinking to come back state side. Or give it to my other son who could then give his camry to his sister. It would stress me out too much to have to continue maintaining it for him though. He is a college student and can't afford to put money into it so it would start going to shit and that would bug me.
Will consider it, good point.
And thank you. Yes, still enjoy this car very much.

Oli77
08-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Good job last year. $800 to go. I hope she treats you right.

Well, cause I was à bit lazy and wanted to move on I spend $750 of those left in order to do an oil change an to have someone do brakes all around. This at 115,890 miles.
Front were Zimmerman and akebono pads, back were à brand I can't recall.

Did the brake in procedure.

Car is for sale here on the Mafia site only at this point

Oli77
08-14-2018, 02:41 PM
Vibration upon braking is gone too. She is in good shape.

Oli77
11-11-2018, 10:23 AM
Just tried to switch to the winter tires, broke my torque wrench, mad at the guys who did the brakes back in August.
The bolts won't budge.
I will take the car back to them and ask them to back them off.
Should I ask for compensation on a broken wrench?

ZHPizza
11-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Eek. You shouldn't use a torque wrench for a breaker bar anyway, but you can still ask. Better yet, just tell them you broke your breaker bar trying to get them off and then order a tekton torque wrench for $30.

And don't use it as a breaker bar plz

Sockethead
11-12-2018, 04:57 AM
Eek.

And don't use it as a breaker bar plz
This will instantly take it out of calibration.
A better solution would be a piece of pipe over the handle of your standard 1/2 drive ratchet if you don’t a have a breaker bar handy

Oli77
11-12-2018, 04:05 PM
Well I'll be, I have reached the ripe age of 53 to only today find out that I should not use a torque wrench to loosen a bolt!!!
Holly Jolly day! Thanks gents, I guess I will shut my big mouth when I take it back there.
I will then buy a breaker bar and a new torque wrench.

I feel a bit stupid.

ELCID86
11-12-2018, 04:48 PM
I got a ratchet breaker bar at Bimmerfest a few years back. It’s amazing! Something like this.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181113/d7ee555a8ccd886bf30ff8c2f1c602de.jpg

Oli77
11-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Yes, just what I was looking up. Thanks Shawn.

Oli77
11-18-2018, 12:32 PM
Put the winter wheels on at 116,450 miles.

Did manage to plant my eyelid on the front quarter panel pretty hard while tightening the right front wheel studs with my busted torque wrench :headbang

Had it at ~90lbs/in. and it let go all of a sudden in mid effort, my head when down and my glasses went crooked into the eye socket. I thought I had broken them onto my face but all good. Might have a black eye tomorrow.

Pretty funny story if you ask me. I am now buying a torque wrench and a prybar.

fredo
11-18-2018, 12:45 PM
No bueno, sir. Sorry to hear.

Oli77
11-18-2018, 01:22 PM
It would have been better had it been on video tape. It'd be a classic.

Boris3
11-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Ouch. Glad you're OK! I think classic self hits are part of the wrenching process..at least that what I keep telling myself.

slater
11-23-2018, 04:07 PM
Put the winter wheels on at 116,450 miles.

Did manage to plant my eyelid on the front quarter panel pretty hard while tightening the right front wheel studs with my busted torque wrench :headbang

Had it at ~90lbs/in. and it let go all of a sudden in mid effort, my head when down and my glasses went crooked into the eye socket. I thought I had broken them onto my face but all good. Might have a black eye tomorrow.

Pretty funny story if you ask me. I am now buying a torque wrench and a prybar.

bummer.... car-related black eyes are the worst. i wear safety glasses on top of my regular glasses when using spring compressors now... :/

johnrando
11-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Bmr, gave myself one a moth or so ago. It happens. :)

Oli77
12-09-2018, 06:16 PM
Battery died after 4 years and 10 months! New one is in and car purrs again.

ELCID86
12-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Battery died after 4 years and 10 months! New one is in and car purrs again.

That’s a good life for a battery.

Vas
12-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Hope you didn't drop the battery on your foot lol jk

Oli77
12-10-2018, 07:41 PM
Lol, no, all was good. This time.

johnrando
12-12-2018, 09:56 PM
:)

Oli77
04-23-2019, 04:54 PM
I miss my car, the smell, the sound, the feel, the grin when you push it in a turn correctly. Did I mention the feel of the steering wheel, its' feedback and the energy you have to put into it?

My son is driving it now. It needs some TLC, gotta wash it and take care of the paint and change back to summer tires.

Luckily he is coming home this weekend since the other set of tires is in my garage. I get to drive it a bit.

johnrando
04-24-2019, 05:33 AM
I'll bet, enjoy it!