PDA

View Full Version : Euro Auto Spot (euroautospot) -- San Diego (review) -- BMW Repair

Marcus-SanDiego
04-22-2011, 06:55 AM
This is where I take my BMWs.

I first met Shane Nguyen (owner of Euro Auto Spot) in 2001 -- when he was working at BMW of San Diego. He has worked on every one of my cars since then. The guy is a magician when it comes to BMW vehicles. When Shane left BMW of San Diego -- and headed to Cunningham BMW (now called South County BMW) -- I took my business there. When he left Cunningham for Harloff (now called BMW of Encinitas), I followed him there.

Fact is, Shane is one of the best techs in San Diego. When he opened his own shop two years ago, I was ecstatic. You're getting BMW trained technicians without the dealer overhead. That means more money stays in my pockets. Euro Auto Spot also has several BMW master techs on its staff, which is more impressive. Most indy shops are lucky to have one. Half of Euro Auto Spot's staff has received the master tech designation.

If you're looking for an honest mechanic, and a reasonable price, Euro Auto Spot (http://www.euroautospot.com) is your place in San Diego.

In sum, Euro Auto Spot, which is family owned, will get my business for as long as I own a BMW.

GSEN820
06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Shane is a really good person. I take my car to him when things go really wrong. In fact even when I take my car next door to 2M Auto Body Shane is willing to provide input.......

Shane is great at what he does and will tell you the truth about your car or any upgrades you are thinking about doing.....

Marcus-SanDiego
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
He's especially frank about modifications. Shane, at heart, is a purist. He thinks that most mods are a waste of money. And, even though he would make money on the labor, he will go out of his way to tell you that you're wasting your money. That's what I like most about him. He'll be honest -- even though it means he won't make money.

GSEN820
06-16-2011, 09:49 AM
You hit the nail on the head. I was looking at Forced Induction which he was going to do install..... Told me a waste of money said if I wanted speed take the money and drop it on M3..... Instead I picked up ZHP instead of wasting the money.......

Marcus-SanDiego
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
That's Shane for you. I've heard him say stuff like that for more than a decade. It's why I won't let me friends go any place else.

johnrando
06-16-2011, 02:06 PM
You hit the nail on the head. I was looking at Forced Induction which he was going to do install..... Told me a waste of money said if I wanted speed take the money and drop it on M3..... Instead I picked up ZHP instead of wasting the money.......

I'd be curious as to why he thought it was a "waste of money". Now, I have heard people say that it's not worth it compared to the value of the car these days, but that's different than saying it's a waste. Did he mention why he thought that?

GSEN820
06-16-2011, 02:38 PM
John,

When I talked about Forced Induction it was for my 325ci.....

Shane's rationalization was looking at 5k for the system then aroun 1.5k for installation I would be vested in this a whole lot for not ever being able to beat on M3 or even really a ZHP for that matter. In order to unlock the power I would want it would take an Exhaust, Headers,etc. I would still have to pay for these. I called VF surperhargers and talked to them in depth about the kit.

What you see on their website with Dyno all had headers, exhaust, intakes.

When I looked at the 325ci getting boosted was a lot more than 6-6.5k than I wanted to spend. In order to reach the 274hp gain I was going to have to put on some mods and hope that I didnt have any engine problems.

Total to get what I wanted with labor and everything it was going to be expensive.

He drives a 540i that is VF boosted and says if he did it over again he would have went M5.

It kinda made sense after spending over an hour on the phone with the VF guys. The dyno sheets had modded parts that I still dont have on my car. The only reason I wanted to do it was because of the Hellrot color in 325ci being different. Especially if it was boosted. Not like it will be going to car shows or anything.

In the long run I now have 2 cars and the 325ci still can average 25mpg where the ZHP is so much fun I dont think it will ever get that.

johnrando
06-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Great detail, thanks Gary. That certainly makes sense.

GSEN820
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Your Welcome John,

I had to talk to people who really knew. The VF dyno really disappointed me in that I needed other mods to get it to 274hp. This was the real deal breaker for me. Then the good ole CA emissions test to factor in as well.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Congrats to Shane and crew for being voted the best repair shop in all of San Diego (http://kgtv.cityvoter.com/best/repair/auto/san-diego). Euro Auto Spot beat out 183 other repair shops in San Diego. It's a big deal. They not only beat out their European-car peers, they beat out general-purpose shops as well.

The contest was held by 10News.com (San Diego ABC affiliate).

Good job, Euro Auto Spot.

C Withers Media
09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Congrats to Shane and his staff. Quite rewarding to know that not only did a good friend win this prestigious contest, but also to know that a few of my posters are hanging in the #1 shop in San Diego.

imola red zhp
09-08-2011, 11:05 AM
NIce to hear sounds, like a treasure to have down there...great job for giving him props and for taking care of him, Hard to find good knowledgeable techs not chasing the dollar.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
And, if anyone ever visits Euro Auto Spot, be sure to check out the posters on the walls. You'll not only see three of my cars, you'll see Casey Withers's (http://www.caseywithers.com/#/) work (since he took the pictures).

das boots
09-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Shane will have his official open house and celebrate his new shop and location sometime in October. Soon after that, watch for a write-up come out from Fahren Affairs. I am willing to give him a free advestisement. Yes, I do write articles for FA. Sort of their floating journalist...all volunteer, of course. FYI, Shane was introduced to me by my son Jon and his business partner, Keith. The business is now in Las Vegas. Gearheads, all.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-18-2011, 07:25 AM
Lawrence, good to hear. Shane and team FTW.