PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple Synchromax

kayger12
04-23-2011, 06:36 AM
So back in the beginning of January, I changed my manual trans fluid and, after much back and forth, decided to go with Royal Purple Synchromax over Red Line MTL.

This was a tough decision as a lot of people have good things to say about Red Line, and Mike Miller recommends it and uses it in his cars.

What really pushed me towards the RP was that after reading a lot of posts on multiple car forums from people who switched from RL to RP, the consensus was that the trans shifted smoother and was much less notchy with RP. Well, that and the fact that Dane went with it. :biggrin

My only concern was that there were a few threads where people felt that the RP broke down quickly around 10-15k miles. This was based on a return of notchy shifting and in one case some brass shavings observed in the fluid during a change (although the person did admit to grinding gears occasionally). There is no empirical evidence that I know of that documents this alleged break down.

So here's where I am, and where I'm going:

I've had the RP in for 4k miles now and am happy to report that it has, so far, been a great fluid with noticeable improvement over the oem fluid (which had almost 50k on it).

Shifting is noticeably smoother with no notchiness or difficulty getting into first. This includes during very cold weather.

My concern, obviously, is what condition the fluid will be in as I get in the 10-15k miles range.

In order to address that, my plan is to change out fluid at its half-life of around 15k miles and send it off to Blackstone for analysis. While that won't really tell us whether the RP is any better or worse than other fluids (we have no oem or RL results from 15k for comparison), it should be able to tell us whether the RP is breaking down prematurely.

I also know that Dane is running the same fluid and has the same concerns-- and may go the Blackstone route himself (which might give us an answer sooner as he piles on the miles much faster than I do).

So far, I would highly recommend the RP Synchromax.

We'll see how the lab results turn out down the road.

static667
04-23-2011, 07:56 AM
What is the fluid capacity and what type of fluid is recommended? The getrag in my e36 called for ATF. I'm strongly considering changing it today because I have some time and a lift to use.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

kayger12
04-23-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm only familiar with the ZHP Getrag. Only synthetic oil is recommended. BMW has a proprietary blend that they use--BMW MTF-L2 (70W80 GL-4). It's available from the dealer I believe.

Other options I'm aware of are Red Line MTL and RP Synchromax.

My trans took a little over 1.5 quarts, iirc.

09mageec
04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
When first starting my car up in the morning(or whenever the first start up of the day is) my car is very tough to shift into first and reverse, does this mean its time to change out my transmission fluid? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but everybody has to learn somehow I guess lol.

kayger12
04-23-2011, 04:08 PM
No dumb questions here.

Some trans fluids can act that way before the trans is warmed up.

Mine was acting that way before I changed it out, but is much better now with the RP in there. That being said, though, I have read plenty of posts from people who went with Red Line and still had difficulty shifting into first when cold.

As for whether you need to change out or not, Mike Miller (BMW tech guru) recommends that you change manual trans fluid every 30k miles.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

09mageec
04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
def need to change soon then, thanks!

static667
04-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the response, Keith. I was in Napa not ten minutes later getting two quarts.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

kayger12
04-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Welcome, gents.

Static- you're gonna be loving life with the SSK and some fresh RP in there.

Enjoy!

09mageec
04-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Welcome, gents.

Static- you're gonna be loving life with the SSK and some fresh RP in there.

Enjoy!

kayger12, did you pick the RP up at autozone or something? And if so did they have it in stock in the store because i would think that the would but online my store is saying it has to be ordered if you want it. Which sucks

kayger12
04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
kayger12, did you pick the RP up at autozone or something? And if so did they have it in stock in the store because i would think that the would but online my store is saying it has to be ordered if you want it. Which sucks

I ordered from Amazon.com. They had it cheap and I get free shipping with my Prime membership.

Plus the site makes a little bit if you use the Amazon link from the Affiliate Advertisers page.

adb1028
04-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Just for reference, I've been running Red Line D4ATF in my 6spd for about 5k now and I am happy with the way it is performing. Smoother and less notchy than the OEM fluid but still retained that "mechanical" feel that I love.

Once I hit 70k (at 60k now) I will be trying out either the Royal Purple or the Red Line MTL to switch things up a bit.

spencers
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
I am loving redline MTL.

bcleaver
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I have no technical specs to discuss performance of what I just put in, but I noticed a much improved feel over stock going with some fresh RP synchromax FWIW

Go Horns!
05-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Had some RP synchromax put in when I got the oil changed. The indie tried to talk me out of it with the BMW has lifetime fluid meme. I told him that I knew what I wanted, and he went ahead and did the fluid change. Noticeable difference when shifting after just starting the car. Before it sometimes felt like there was some kind of resistance when I was shifting into second, and now I do not have the problem.

Now if I could only have convinced the mechanic to remove the CDV. He did not think it was a good idea to remove parts, and I had used up every bit of goodwill for the transmission fluid change.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Just diy the cdv....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Go Horns!
05-23-2011, 07:18 PM
No jackstands, no jack, and no place I would feel safe working underneath the car. Having an apartment sucks. Hope to be in a rental house by the end of summer.

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Copy GH.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kpro
05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
I have a shelf full of this Royal Purple Synchromax stuff at my shop, I really don't want it...I should bring it to the meet and give it to you guys.

kayger12
05-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Dibs!

Crickett
05-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I have a shelf full of this Royal Purple Synchromax stuff at my shop, I really don't want it...I should bring it to the meet and give it to you guys.

Aw, man! Reason #331 I wish I was going!

Tapatalk on Jailbroken iOS: dhu eet!

danewilson77
05-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Ima try Redline next, or else I would share it with the other LT.

kpro
05-25-2011, 06:12 AM
How many do you need for each car? I will check this weekend and see how many I have :) At least 5-6 synchromax are there and lots of other royal purple products I dont need.

kayger12
05-25-2011, 06:35 AM
You are awesome, Kpro!

I use two for the trans.

If you have any Max Gear 75w90 that you're looking to get rid of, I'll be happy to take them as well for the diff.

kpro
05-25-2011, 07:01 AM
Ok :) We are getting rid of the shop this summer at somepoint, its been a good 4-5 years. I've been shelling out cash for that place and never use it but to detail anymore, and I'm over flushing that money down the drain on rent! tons of parts and stuff to get rid of... I will make a thread after the meet, thats when I'm going to get serious about what stays and what goes.

midlandtech
06-03-2011, 05:45 AM
they may be dumb but what is cdv delete

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 06:04 AM
they may be dumb but what is cdv delete

Cdv delete = clutch delay valve delete. See.....

http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

For full explanation....

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

midlandtech
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
spanks I will add it to the now growing list

danewilson77
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
spanks I will add it to the now growing list

You will notice a diff. I endorse this mod.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

static667
06-03-2011, 07:11 PM
I did the CDV delete and changed my gear oil with RP Syncromax in the same session. The day before, I installed my BMW Performance short throw shifter. It was like driving a different car.

cornercarver
01-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Old thread...thought I'd ask how the RP worked out and see if there are any new recommendations for manual transmission fluids?

Mine has 119k miles, and I haven't gone through all the service records, (just bought it two weeks ago) but if it needs to be changed I'd like to use the best fluid possible.

danewilson77
01-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Old thread...thought I'd ask how the RP worked out and see if there are any new recommendations for manual transmission fluids?

Mine has 119k miles, and I haven't gone through all the service records, (just bought it two weeks ago) but if it needs to be changed I'd like to use the best fluid possible.

Redline. No RP.

cornercarver
01-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Redline. No RP.
Which Redline product?

danewilson77
01-06-2017, 08:22 PM
From my last maintenance update.

*Transmission (D4ATF) and diff (75W-90) changed - 204,800

danewilson77
01-06-2017, 08:24 PM
I tried the Pentosin before that.

Aeternalis
01-09-2017, 11:39 AM
I tried the Pentosin before that.
What's your opinion on Pentosin vs Redline?

danewilson77
01-10-2017, 05:25 PM
What's your opinion on Pentosin vs Redline?

I like the Redline better. Mine is high mileage and just seems to behave better. I know.... Vague.

Aeternalis
01-10-2017, 06:21 PM
I like the Redline better. Mine is high mileage and just seems to behave better. I know.... Vague.
All good. I asked for your opinion, not a research paper. :) I was gonna go with Pentosin when I did my transmission/diff fluids next at 200k or so.. but maybe not, now.

Thanks Dane!