PDA

View Full Version : Yokohama Avid ENVigor tires

Stu
04-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I need to get new tires soon, and I want to do away with my RFTs since I do not have a TPMS. Since I live in NC and am a college student, I'd rather have some all-seasons rather than dedicate summer/winter tires and rims. I just do not have the time or money to do that right now. What do you all think of Yokohama Avid ENVigors? I've read great reviews, heard that their treadlife is phenomenal, and the price is pretty awesome.

How do they compare to, say, Continental DWS?

Washburn
04-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I also live in NC...
and after much research, i have decided to go with Conti DWS. Their reputation among BMW owners is pretty solid, and for the light snow that NC gets, it will be the perfect solution I think. I am getting them as soon as this summer ends, which will be the last summer on the Michelin OEM summers tires (Pilots)

Top 15 tires in the UHP All season category at tire rack: conti DWS is #1, Avid Envigor is #6... (not only the surveys, but the actual tests done by TR also had DWS winning in all categories within the top 4 tires)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/TR.pnghttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/TR2.png

danewilson77
04-26-2011, 04:21 PM
I have them and love them thus far. I have maybe 2k miles on them...and am assured in the 560 UTQG...........

Affordability and tread wear ...plus decent reviews are why I chose the Yoko's. In addition to that I wanted All Seasons...

Washburn
04-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Dane, any reason you didn't go with the DWS? I mean the charts and the test results from TR I posted above may not be 100% perfect, but I do think they have a certain credibility...

Mtnman
04-26-2011, 04:30 PM
I have dws. They were great in the snow in asheville this winter,(we got a lot) and I will prob stick with them, fwiw.

Washburn
04-26-2011, 04:33 PM
That's good news...if the DWS is good in Asheville, it should be pretty good in Buies creek, nc ;)

Mtnman
04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Haha....buis creek! Id be more worried about driving through sand then snow! Lol

danewilson77
04-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Dane, any reason you didn't go with the DWS? I mean the charts and the test results from TR I posted above may not be 100% perfect, but I do think they have a certain credibility...

Price and treadwear. Those were my 2 top wickets. Don't really need a sticky tire.....don't really care if the tire is noisy or not.

Washy.....really no reason. I am sure the dws is a better tire.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Johnmadd
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
I love my dws. Go around offramps with no tire squeal and hauling ass.:roundel

Stu
04-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I may go with the DWS then. They are more expensive but I have heard really really great things about them. Though I have read that the sidewalls are soft and they do not corner well? Or something like that. Since snow does not come around all that often here in NC, I basically need a tire that will give me great warm-weather performance with the ability to deal with light snow should it come around. I'm also big on it being quiet and having good treadwear.

Washburn
04-27-2011, 03:59 AM
I think we'll be covered with DWS - it may not corner superlatively, but to be honest, I don't do much aggressive cornering at all. And a bit softer side wall is exactly what makes it so good in light snow and wet weather, so....
I think it will give me overall good handling, safety in wet/light snow and good dry performance. I wish the tread pattern looked a bit more aggressive merely for looks, but I know that's nit picking...

Stu
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Well, I got a quote asking how much it would be to mount + balance tires at my local euro shop. They said $915, and would be Continental DWS (I didn't even ask them what to recommend, they just flat-out threw that out there). Is that a good deal compared to just buying them separately off of TireRack and giving them to them?

After reading more about the DWS's, and the fact that the local shop went with them right away when I said I was getting new tires, I'm going to go with them.

Mtnman
04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
zell, if that is for 2 225, and 2 255, that is not a bad price. i just got quoted 450 for 2 235 (which is what i run up front). fyi. do it.

Washburn
04-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Zell, is it import motor werks, by any chance?. I think that's an OK price.

Jon D
04-28-2011, 05:25 AM
I've been researching tires as well for the Audi -- also sticking with all seasons and decided to order the Conti DWS's as well. The current P6's have a little life left but it's coming up and wife put a screw in another one so need to see if patch is holding. If not think I'm just going to bite the bullet really don't like the P6's.

Stu
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Zell, is it import motor werks, by any chance?. I think that's an OK price.

European Performance off of Western in Raleigh. I've really been impressed with them so far.

Luigi
05-11-2011, 11:28 AM
FWIW, I also have the Yokohama Avid ENVigors. And price and treadwear were up there for me too. I've had them on for about 18K now, and I'm very happy with the ride and handling and the are wearing very well.

And they do very well in the rain. And when it snows, which is not frequent where I live, I leave the ZHP at home and work from home those days. When we need to get out, we take my wife's Expedition. So, snow traction was not a consideration for me.