PDA

View Full Version : Clunk sound when changing directions

Mtnman
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
recently, my car has started to make a strange sound when i brake in a new direction. Basically, when i reverse out of the drive, then hit the brakes, i get a slight clunk. Then, the first time i stop going forwards (at the end of the road) i get a slight clunk. it doesn't do it again until i change directions to reverse. i swear ive heard this before in other cars, but dont have any idea where to start looking. any ideas people?

Johnmadd
04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Guibo? Its just a guess, but if it happens when changing from forward to reverse and reverse to forward the tension is realeased and force is then put on it the other way.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Diff guibo.....or CAB's. When have those been changed.

Oli77
04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
I have had a similar clunk coming from the front when changing directions (very slow in the driveway, going up and down for example). The car would also occasionally have a clunk upon applying brakes for the first time. Go forward 5 yards, hit brakes -clunk, go backward 5 yards hit brakes- clunk, etc...
T'was my lower ball joint on the front control arm. Had it replaced yesterday, and that clunk is gone.

Mtnman
04-27-2011, 04:35 PM
87,625 brake fluid change, Valve cover gasket replaced, Front lower control arm bushings replacedpower steering pump replaced, brake fluid change

thats what i know. i have 141k now.

kayger12
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds like control arm bushings.

Oli77
04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
How about control arm itself (and its 2 anchor ball joints), not the bushing?

kayger12
04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Bad control arm usually clunks when going over bumps or change of direction, iirc.

Bad CABs usually clunk when you stab the brakes.

Might be able to narrow it down by trying both of the above and seeing which one reproduces best.

danewilson77
04-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Jack up the front end....grab the tire at nine and three.....if it moves....CABs are bad.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Mtnman
04-27-2011, 05:49 PM
will do. will try tomorrow night. thanks for the advise.

az3579
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
If the CABs are bad, wouldn't it clunk every single time, then? Why just on the first time going forward or just the first time going reverse?
If it was a forward and back clunk, I would think it to be a drivetrain-related noise considering his is an automatic. It clunks whenever changing into a forward or reverse gear. Perhaps tranny mounts?

Mtnman
04-27-2011, 06:17 PM
yeah, its not the actual change of transmission, but when i apply the brakes in that direction. not when the tranny changes, fyi. thanks for the advise so far guys....

Johnmadd
04-27-2011, 06:19 PM
If the CABs are bad, wouldn't it clunk every single time, then? Why just on the first time going forward or just the first time going reverse?
If it was a forward and back clunk, I would think it to be a drivetrain-related noise considering his is an automatic. It clunks whenever changing into a forward or reverse gear. Perhaps tranny mounts?

Yeah I was definitely thinking drivetrain also bp. Another possibility would be diff mount.