PDA

View Full Version : A Little Clarity About BMW ZHP 330 Mafia Name

Marcus-SanDiego
11-23-2010, 01:07 PM
I got a note from a friend about the site name. This friend said that the gangsta vibe does not seem to fit well with the ZHP, which is a classy, great car. In and of itself, I would likely agree.

But I think it's important to understand the ZHP Mafia history.

Let me tell you about the ZHP Mafia name. First, it's a fricken joke. Back in the day, many years ago, someone started saying that ZHP owners are part of the ZHP Mafia. It was very likely a criticism (and if not, eventually became a derisive term), suggesting that we're part of a gang that thinks it has the best BMW vehicle.

The ZHP Mafia name dates back to May 2005. If you haven't heard the name on any of the various BMW forums, you're probably a newb or you haven't been paying attention -- or both. It's amazing to me that no one ever did anything with the name. It bounced around for years and no one ever started a Web site, capitalizing on the name recognition.

Trust me when I say this: we all think it's hilarious. We all have a lot of fun with it (and probably no one more than me).

I think once you embrace the humor in the name, and realize that we're not a clique that is well liked by everyone (because we act as though we have the best car on earth), you may develop a different feeling about the gangsta tone of the forum.

So, there is the back story of how ZHP Mafia got its name.

Let me know what you think.

Fact is, I rather enjoy the ZHP Mafia name. And I know that some people really do think we're idiots (maybe it's jealously; not sure). But this much is true as well: we have a lot of fun with our cars and with the Mafia name.

zhp43867
11-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes! I still want a zhp mafia sticker.

Maybe we should switch the site logo to a graphic depiction of Al Capone sitting on a zhp.

Tampa330i
11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
I heard the mafia was going to come looking for me when I got my car, and here I am! I'm a big fan of the older, 90s "gangster" rap as some would call it, so naturally I enjoy the theme. Picture Michael Bolton from Office Space with about 80 extra lbs. and that's me. White as a ghost, glasses, computer nerd, listening to gangster rap as I drive to work. I'd rock a mafia sticker any day. I'm in the middle of moving right now, but when I get some free time I'll look into getting Al Capone integrated into a site logo. If nothing else, another possible choice for the rotation.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-23-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm also a fan of gangsta rap -- but the older stuff. I'm thinking Too Short, Ice T, Tupac, NWA, etc.

zhp43867
11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm also a fan of gangsta rap -- but the older stuff. I'm thinking Too Short, Ice T, Tupac, NWA, etc.

Biiiiiiiitch!

(Too Short)

Rayzah Blade
11-23-2010, 02:46 PM
I for one also find it quite hilarious. I've been seeing more and more members who have been around bf.c/e46f using the term as the years have been passing, and think it's great. I definately feel it's a gangsta club, but not like lil wayne gangsta.. more like al capone/babyface nelson/ john dillinger gangsta. like the classy old-school pimp kind of gangsta... that's what the ZHP means to me :D

Alphatek45
11-23-2010, 02:48 PM
So wait, if I need someone "taken care of" this isn't the place to get it done???

But seriously.. I lurked on the other forums for months and months and never heard the term. When I got my car and everyone was welcoming me to the Mafia I thought it was cheesy at first tbh.
Getting to know everyone, and the deal behind the term Ive come to embrace it quite a bit. The BMW and more specifically ZHP enthusiast crew impresses me daily. Ive been in my share of car clubs and nothing comes close. However,being and Italian New Yorker, now living in the south I dunno If i will put the sticker on my car but I sure as shit want one for my toolbox! lol.

Rayzah Blade
11-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I think it also very fitting that almost every avatar here has some bad a@@ gangsta from a bad a@@ movie :)

Marcus-SanDiego
I used to giggle at the term. Found it quite amusing. But the ZHP Mafia name has stuck. And, for better or worse, we now have a site sporting that name.

I do enjoy the ZHP owners quite a bit, though. Good people. Other owners, though, have told me that ZHP owners think they've got the golden ring or something. We think we're the best of the best.

I don't know about all that, but I do know that it's a well put-together piece of machinery.

Marcus-SanDiego
I think it also very fitting that almost every avatar here has some bad a@@ gangsta from a bad a@@ movie :)

Oh, yeah. That's part of the fun.

Alphatek45
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
^ Totally

danewilson77
11-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Mine isn't "just for fun".

I will put a cap in your ass....ahem....I mean....I will whack yous........whatever.

mimalmo
11-24-2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84VqqCPI7w

Alphatek45
11-25-2010, 06:05 AM
^ Freakin Classic.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-25-2010, 06:40 AM
I love Goodfellas. Great movie.

jjcools
12-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I would rather be called a clique but mafia works. Seams a bit immature but at the same time, anything to piss off the know it alls on the other sites. I like this site and so far, no flame wars so that makes it the best site on the web.

Also, people are just pissed cause they have to spend tons of cash just to get their cars to be a nice a ride and quick as the Zhp. :)

- Mafia Soldier

jjcools
12-01-2010, 08:52 AM
It is also a bit weird putting mafia into my browser at work :).

I will probably get a call into the IT geeks for that. LOL.

IT geek, "Why have you been visiting a Mafia site?"
Me, "stfu do you know who I am?" Then I laugh and act like I never said anything. I need some sleep!

Marcus-SanDiego
12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
LOL. That's funny stuff.

I imagine the flame wars will be cut to a minimum here. I'll be jumping into threads that contain that kind of crap and making sure that everyone realizes that ZHPMafia.com is not the place for it.

This is a collegial site with grown adults.

danewilson77
12-01-2010, 09:19 AM
I would rather be called a clique but mafia works. Seams a bit immature but at the same time, anything to piss off the know it alls on the other sites. I like this site and so far, no flame wars so that makes it the best site on the web.

Also, people are just pissed cause they have to spend tons of cash just to get their cars to be a nice a ride and quick as the Zhp. :)

- Mafia Soldier

LOL....

NDubSki
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
What if we could get ZHP Mafia vinyls? Ben would love to make some, and he doesn't charge a lot.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-01-2010, 09:55 AM
What's a ZHP Mafia vinyl?

NDubSki
12-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Like a vinyl you can put on your car that with a logo of your choice and font of your choice/color/etc.

It would be cool to drive around and see an occasional BMW with the ZHP Mafia vinyl amiright?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Ahh, you talking about the same kind of vinyl as those who do the BMW ghost/flag on the front of their cars?

NDubSki
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Exactly, maybe a window vinyl or something like that? Like maybe a simple Crosshair with BMW written above like the logo? Throw it on corner of back window? Or even use the logo for this site?

az3579
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I really like the ZHP Mafia name. May I use it on the Bf.c and other places?

Marcus-SanDiego
12-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Feel free, az.

pyreguy
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I would sport some vinyl. I am proud to be affiliated with such a great forum. I really enjoy the drama-free atmosphere.

kayger12
12-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I would sport some vinyl. I am proud to be affiliated with such a great forum. I really enjoy the drama-free atmosphere.

Well said and agreed.

az3579
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
+ 2

As long as the vinyl isn't really big and can fit into the nice compact spot next to the Hoffmeister Kink...

NDubSki
12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
It can be any size you want. I just need the layout and Ill send it to Ben. Someone should get to work designing it, I'd buy. Maybe like inspection sticker sized ?

Rayzah Blade
12-05-2010, 10:50 PM
I would love to rock one of these.. talk about an elitist vinyl for the bimmer...

zhpnsnv
12-07-2010, 04:12 AM
When I was a teacher I started a "Mafia" club in my middle school. Mafia, if you're not aware, is one of the greatest games ever and really a quintessential "middle school" type of experience for kids to have - it involves analytical thinking, logic, narrative, FUN, etc... Anyway, if you've never heard of the "Mafia" game, look it up.

SO, I started this club and put signs around the school that said:

Join The

Mafia

Club

I thought it was a funny advertisement for the club, and so did the kids because I had quite a large group that year. BUT, 2 periods after I posted the sign, I was in the principal's office explaining why I "offended the Italian-Americans on staff," of which I am one.

:rolleyes :dunno :facepalm Why is there no "forehead slap" smiley?

So we changed the name of the club to "The Best Game Ever Club," and "The Game That Shall Not Be Named Club." Those were funny signs, too.

Not sure if that story really relates to this thread, but I thought I'd share.

kayger12
12-07-2010, 05:46 AM
That's the People's Republic of NJ for you-- always looking for a victim where none exists...

Marcus-SanDiego
12-07-2010, 07:37 AM
When I was a teacher I started a "Mafia" club in my middle school. Mafia, if you're not aware, is one of the greatest games ever and really a quintessential "middle school" type of experience for kids to have - it involves analytical thinking, logic, narrative, FUN, etc... Anyway, if you've never heard of the "Mafia" game, look it up.

SO, I started this club and put signs around the school that said:

Join The

Mafia

Club

I thought it was a funny advertisement for the club, and so did the kids because I had quite a large group that year. BUT, 2 periods after I posted the sign, I was in the principal's office explaining why I "offended the Italian-Americans on staff," of which I am one.

:rolleyes :dunno :facepalm Why is there no "forehead slap" smiley?

So we changed the name of the club to "The Best Game Ever Club," and "The Game That Shall Not Be Named Club." Those were funny signs, too.

Not sure if that story really relates to this thread, but I thought I'd share.

It relates enough. Good story, sir. And I added a face palm smiley to your post.