PDA

View Full Version : New member from MD

blindside
05-02-2011, 05:31 AM
I am a BMW enthuisist currently attending college. I bought my first bmw, a 99' 323i, which was a great car but Im now in the position to upgrade so i found this site. I have been apart of multiple bmw forums but honestly the reputation and mood set by users here exceeds the rest. I do all the work myself on my cars so im sure you will find many posts from me asking about this or that.
Currently, I am in the search for a ZHP. Color doesnt matter and my price range is fairly decent. My true question is how aggressive a manual 6 spd will be compared to the automatic. I have always had a manual car and love them but I do live in the city now so it seems less feasible.

danewilson77
05-02-2011, 06:04 AM
I love the fact you do all your work. That's something I have been proud of concerning me and my car. No offense to anyone that takes theirs to the shop.

Welcome to the Mafia. You'll like it here.

We'll keep our eye's open for you.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-02-2011, 06:37 AM
I am a BMW enthusiast currently attending college. I bought my first bmw, a 99' 323i, which was a great car but Im now in the position to upgrade so i found this site. I have been apart of multiple bmw forums but honestly the reputation and mood set by users here exceeds the rest. I do all the work myself on my cars so im sure you will find many posts from me asking about this or that.
Currently, I am in the search for a ZHP. Color doesn't matter and my price range is fairly decent. My true question is how aggressive a manual 6 spd will be compared to the automatic. I have always had a manual car and love them but I do live in the city now so it seems less feasible.

Tough question about manual v. automatic. I don't drive my car all that often but when I do, I hit quite a bit of bumper to bumper in San Diego. I don't mind the manual. However, if I lived in Los Angeles or San Francisco, where traffic does suck, I would be inclined to get an automatic. If the traffic isn't too bad, though, and having a manual won't be a lot of work, I'd opt for the manual. It really just depends on your needs.

Regardless, welcome to the site. Glad to have you.

kayger12
05-02-2011, 07:15 AM
^^^^^
This

Welcome to the Family.

Ryans323i
05-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the site. There's nowhere to go after owning a '99 323i, they're the best. Ok, I may be a little partial.

I think Marcus has given you the best answer you're going to get, regarding your question. I lived in Southern MD (Calvert Couty, and St. Mary's County) for a little bit and really enjoyed my 5-speed. Then I drove up to Baltimore for a day, and when I returned my left leg ached!

Glad you found us, hope you get the ZHP of your dreams!

brettbimmer
05-02-2011, 08:48 AM
+1 for a fellow Maryland ZHP/Bimmer enthusiast! I have a manual ZHP & have been on the racetrack for a high performance driving school with a fellow in an automatic ZHP, and both cars were VERY closely matched. Found my car about 2.5 years ago in Indiana, though I was looking for specific colors and options, and low miles. Been a Bimmer enthusiast for many, many years though! Back to the manual vs. automatic debate - really depends on your needs, and if you plan to enjoy your Bimmer for a few hundred thousand miles. I know in the E36 & E39 era cars, the auto transmissions were GM sourced, and they were prone to failure at an early age. Anyone have any longevity experience with the E46 gen. cars in an auto? I am a huge manual guy myself, but I like to keep the car as simple and solid as possible (particularly in the driveline dept.). If I see any good ZHP's for sale, I'll let you know.

Murphy
05-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Welcome and good hunting. I went from an auto (e36) to a 6 speed and I love it! I do a lot of combined city and highway driving, so traffic is not an issue. Take your time and your car will find you.

mimalmo
05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Welcome

PKR
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm with my neighbor Brett and suspect the differences b/w stick and auto are slight. Steps do seem more problematic ... though buying a used MT means that clutch condition or wear is something of an unknown. Either way you'll enjoy the ZHP. Good Luck with the search.

billschusteriv
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I am a BMW enthuisist currently attending college. I bought my first bmw, a 99' 323i, which was a great car but Im now in the position to upgrade so i found this site. I have been apart of multiple bmw forums but honestly the reputation and mood set by users here exceeds the rest. I do all the work myself on my cars so im sure you will find many posts from me asking about this or that.
Currently, I am in the search for a ZHP. Color doesnt matter and my price range is fairly decent. My true question is how aggressive a manual 6 spd will be compared to the automatic. I have always had a manual car and love them but I do live in the city now so it seems less feasible.

Welcome! What part of Maryland? I commute from PA down the I-270 corridor to Gaithersburg, MD daily.

Agree with what's been said about the manual v automatic for the most part. My e30 is a manual 5 spd and I used to drive that every day for about 4 years down to Rockville.
And I really enjoyed those occasions where I wasn't in bumper to bumper and had the manual. If you find yourself in stop and go bumper to bumper everyday, then a manual can be challenging - but you will adapt your driving style over time (I think). Otherwise maybe consider an auto. I have found (for me) that there are enough issues with the automatic trans that make me not want to consider it. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive anything other than an auto (for now), so I'm stuck.

blindside
05-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Welcome! What part of Maryland? I commute from PA down the I-270 corridor to Gaithersburg, MD daily.

Agree with what's been said about the manual v automatic for the most part. My e30 is a manual 5 spd and I used to drive that every day for about 4 years down to Rockville.
And I really enjoyed those occasions where I wasn't in bumper to bumper and had the manual. If you find yourself in stop and go bumper to bumper everyday, then a manual can be challenging - but you will adapt your driving style over time (I think). Otherwise maybe consider an auto. I have found (for me) that there are enough issues with the automatic trans that make me not want to consider it. Unfortunately, my wife won't drive anything other than an auto (for now), so I'm stuck.

Im in Towson currently but im familiar with where your talking about. Haha Im sorry about your situation but im sure your auto ZHP is so amazing. I just love these cars. When i get my ZHP we will definitely have to get meeting within the area Id like to see and meet everyone.

blindside
05-02-2011, 12:09 PM
For one, Thanks for making me feel at home I already have had more feedback here than any other forum.
Also, thanks for the input guys, I feel like with the amount of traffic I face daily I will search for a manual. I've had one since I was 16 and it would just enhance my love for the car even further.
All of your cars look soo great I truly cannot wait to be genuinely apart of the ZHPmafia with my own.
If you guys do see anything that fits what I'm looking for I would appreciate it soo much if you could forward it. I am checking the classifieds forum hourly haha but any help I can get I'll take.
I can't wait to hear back from you all and thank you again for the welcomes.

-Matt

billschusteriv
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Im in Towson currently but im familiar with where your talking about. Haha Im sorry about your situation but im sure your auto ZHP is so amazing. I just love these cars. When i get my ZHP we will definitely have to get meeting within the area Id like to see and meet everyone.

Hehe - I wish I had a ZHP... I'm one of the non-ZHP'ers on here that have been welcomed with open arms by the community. I've got an e46 Xi touring... maybe someday when I can get the wife in an SUV I will be able to dump the cargo area for a ZHP sedan....

Definately! We'll have to get some folks together. There are a few of us around the Baltimore/DC metro area....

Good luck on your search!

kayger12
05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
I like your thinking, Matt. I drove manuals most of my life, but when I bought my first Bimmer, I ended up with a step-auto.

I loved the car, and it was certainly fun to drive, but I always found myself missing the MT.

When I got the ZHP with an MT, I felt like I was home again...

zhpnsnv
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Welcome! You've found a great place.

I have to side with the manual in your case. You're in college; it's a time when your life can and will change. You may have traffic now, but what if you don't in a year or two? I'd err on the side of the manual, also, because it's looking like the E46 autos are costly, especially if they're not serviced in the first 50-80k miles.

While I side with the manual, I certainly don't see anything wrong with the auto. Drove one myself for a few years (323i, just like you), but one of the main reasons I looked to replace that car was that I was sick of the auto and wanted to shift all the time again.

static667
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the family. :hi

I'm a bit of a driving purist. I would be willing to deal with the leg cramps from bumper to bumper traffic on a daily just for the sheer driving pleasure offered by a well timed heel/toe downshift and exiting a corner in the right gear, at the right rpms. It's so worth it.

blindside
05-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the site. There's nowhere to go after owning a '99 323i, they're the best. Ok, I may be a little partial.

I think Marcus has given you the best answer you're going to get, regarding your question. I lived in Southern MD (Calvert Couty, and St. Mary's County) for a little bit and really enjoyed my 5-speed. Then I drove up to Baltimore for a day, and when I returned my left leg ached!

Glad you found us, hope you get the ZHP of your dreams!

Thanks! I know that 99 was such a champ it was just the best vehicle. I wondering if I will miss it alot.. but also I wanted to say the paint job you have on your 323i looks soooo great.

Ryans323i
05-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Of course you'll miss it! They're the best and ZHPs are not special. (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?983-Nough-Said-My-BMW-330-ZHP-Is-Not-Special-%28a-video-by-Kayger12%29) :biggrin Really, going from the 323i to a ZHP is definitely going to be an upgrade. Best of luck to ya.

Thanks for the compliments, btw.

M3TA5IN
05-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome! I "Technically" work out of Hunt Valley, but Im currently away on travels!

Mtnman
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Welcome. I have an auto zhp with 142,000 miles on it. It still drives well, and it wants to be at 4k + rpm's all the time. It downshifts itself on hills and during braking to 4k as well. Seems to always want to go. I do wish I had a manual lots of times, but i also love the auto when my son is asking for his sunglasses, the phone is ringing, or various other times in traffic. Good luck with the decision.

johnrando
05-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Welcome. Good luck with the decision. I prefer manual but got automatic due to various reasons (wife to drive the car at times, L.A. traffic, plus I have another car that's manual), and it's still a great car. John

CO ZHP
05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome! I got an auto from the get go as this is my DD and the wife takes it out occasionally so wanted it to be easy. Have learned that dropping into sport mode is almost as good as MT sans the clutch. Shifts are crisps and clean both up and down. I feel like I get the best of both worlds.

Dave

mikeyb74
05-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Welcome!