PDA

View Full Version : Possible Transmission Problems!? Please HELP!!

lilcdkey
05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, so my new to me ZHP was driving great ever since I picked it up last night until just now. I started the car and it cranked for a long time before it started up and then the code came up for automatic tranny malfunction (the gear with the exclamation point). The car was shifting very rough when I drove it. All the shifts were kind of jerky. I looked in my manual and it told me to turn off the car and put the hand brake up and just wait. I did just that and the code went away and its driving amazing once again. I'm still kinda tweaking out about it though, can anyone tell me what this could be? Is it a good sign that it went away after waiting for awhile? Today I checked my battery and it was very low, so I'm charging it up as we speak. I'm really afraid that the dealer I bought it from (a pretty reputable dealer) might have just reset a code and sold the car. Please help guys!

PS: It's a 2005 330ci, auto, 46k miles.

kayger12
05-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Low voltage could certainly be your problem.

I have seen some pretty crazy posts about all kinds of things going haywire from a bad battery.

I would get the code read either way to help confirm/narrow down.

I would also get a new battery.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

static667
05-03-2011, 03:31 AM
+1 on the battery. All of the sensitive electronics in these cars rely on a steady supply of voltage. If they aren't getting enough, they tend to act crazy.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

lilcdkey
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. I checked my battery today and it's from 2004, so I'm definitely replacing it.

JHiggy
05-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Just replaced my 2004 battery last week with a Duralast 49DL from Autozone. Easy install @ $94 or so. Highly recommend as others on this site have.

lilcdkey
05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Just replaced my 2004 battery last week with a Duralast 49DL from Autozone. Easy install @ $94 or so. Highly recommend as others on this site have.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that battery. I think I'm going to pick the new battery up and install it on Thursday.

danewilson77
05-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that battery. I think I'm going to pick the new battery up and install it on Thursday.

Copy...thanks for the update.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

lilcdkey
05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Installed my new battery, everythings running smooth. Haven't spotted that code since it first came up. On another note, my indy bmw mechanic (a close friend) was checking out the car and he said the car was in excellent condition inside and out. :)

kayger12
05-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Good deal. Hopefully that was the issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

lilcdkey
05-06-2011, 03:48 PM
So guys, my ZHP cranks fine now, but my dome lights still flicker when i hold my window switch. Im thinking alternator?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kudos
05-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Sounds about right. JW where do you go for your indy work? don't wanna plug my guy but i go to A &L autobody in Palatine. Try keeping the car power on but not running, so alternator is not charging and open and close windows. if it's not flickering then def it would be alternator.

lilcdkey
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Sounds about right. JW where do you go for your indy work? don't wanna plug my guy but i go to A &L autobody in Palatine. Try keeping the car power on but not running, so alternator is not charging and open and close windows. if it's not flickering then def it would be alternator.

You can't get much better than A&L. I take my cars to Gus Autobody, he specializes in BMW, Benz, and Porsche. He does a really great job but I would rather go to A&L. A&L is just too far away for me (2 hours) but my brother actually still makes the journey out there for his E92. He doesn't trust anyone but
Anthony. Thanks for the tip btw, I'll try that later today.

aurelius
05-10-2011, 06:24 AM
See posts #20 and #22 here:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2198-Newbie-Needs-Advice-Help!!!/page3