PDA

View Full Version : Race seat thread

bcleaver
05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Who all has race seats installed? What brand, where did you get them from, how was the install, how do they fit (both you and the car)?

danewilson77
05-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Ooooo....I like this thread. MC has em....

MasterC17
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Ooooo....I like this thread. MC has em....

I do!? :fingerscrossed When will they be shipped to me?

I would like to get some, but I currently do not have any. While the cost of the seats themselves can be (relatively) cheap, the hardware can really add up. As I am, well cheap, the ones I would consider would be the Sparco Fighter (http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=198) or the Momo Start 2007 (http://www.momousa.com/products/start-2010.html). If you want some really nice seats, you could get some Recaro Pole Positions or Profi (http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/product-areas/motorsport/product/overview.html), but it will cost you. In terms of mounting, you will need a base and a track set. Bases can cost from $135 per side to $225. VAC makes very good bases but they are expensive. Sliders run around $70-$100. Some seats need side brackets as well. Your best bet is to find some used as it will probably save you a lot of money. Personally, I'd like to find some used Fighter's; but we'll see. Then you will need some harnesses, I recommend Schroth Rallye 4's if you don't have a cage. The biggest advantage to racing seats are the weight savings. Factory Sport Seats weigh around 65lbs. A racing seat setup will weigh about 20lbs. So 45lbs per side or 90lbs total saved weight. Equivalent to about 8hp along with better handling. Also allows easy use of harnesses. Good Luck.

brettbimmer
05-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Who all has race seats installed? What brand, where did you get them from, how was the install, how do they fit (both you and the car)?

Well, I purchased and installed a set into an E30 a few years ago, though not in my E46. I ended up purchasing a set of Sparco Monza Seats (No longer in production), brackets, and sliders from O.G. Racing in Sterling, VA. Great folks and they were able to price match a competitor for me. Seats were great for use on the track, and not too bad for use on the street, though lower back discomfort may arise after multiple hours sitting in one. If you or a passenger has a large backside, you may find it a bit less comfortable.

Personally, I have a short torso and long legs, (overall height is 5'10") so I found the seat to be too short for me to comfortably see out of the car. That said, I ended up using some short bushings under the bracket to elevate it from the floor slightly in the rear, thus raising the seat back a bit. Seatbelt latches were transferred to the new brackets, though I did have to add bolts for this. Just be sure that you are using a quality grade of bolt with all of this, as you do not want to see it fail at the wrong time.

I purchased the brackets and sliders as I did not want to see the seat mounting fail at a critical time, though it did add a bit of extra cost to them. I believe that the total cost was somewhere in the $1,500-1,600 range. Bottom line suggestion, try out the seats available if you are near a shop that has them on display so that you can try them on for fitment against your build. Seats are very close in dimensions, and I don't think that you would have an issue with them fitting into an E46.

Here are a few pics from my E30:

danewilson77
05-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Damn....lol...I thought you had them MC. Someone else put harnesses in a couple of months ago......who was it?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

M0nk3y
05-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Stupid question here.

If you were to go 4-5 Point Harnesses, wouldn't it be in your best interest to get a cage.

Just the fact if you do roll over...you're sort of screwed, right?

lilcdkey
05-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I want to pick up some Sparco Fighter's but it's kind of useless because I don't take my ZHP to the track.

KC ZHP
05-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Would suggest considering reclining over fixed back seats if not planning to turn the car into a dedicated track machine with rollbar and the appropriate harnesses; however, not trying to engage in that discussion here - plenty of good documentation on safety aspects/considerations elsewhere.

I'm running Recaro reclining SRDs (predecessor to the Speed seat) in my E36 M3. Key for me was the ability to pick up some much needed headroom and improved bolstering to better hold me in place - they also happen to be lighter than the factory seats. That said, a key consideration would be loosing the factory integrated seat airbag functionality.

FWIW, I've used Speedware Motorsports when sourcing seats, custom mounting brackets and hardware with good success.

Good luck!

brettbimmer
05-05-2011, 07:16 PM
Stupid question here.

If you were to go 4-5 Point Harnesses, wouldn't it be in your best interest to get a cage.

Just the fact if you do roll over...you're sort of screwed, right?

That was what I was always told...but you will probably get many different opinions on the subject. Then there is the school of thought that says you should not run a roll cage in a street car, because it could cause you some serious injury if in an accident and were not wearing a helmet - (ie-head mashed by the rollbars, etc.) My goal was to get a better seat that held me in place better when on the track. I stuck with the stock belts alone, due to the reasons above, and didn't want a totally dedicated track car, unsafe to drive on the street. In a perfect world, we would just have the transporter roll in with our track car and have it awaiting our arrival on our private helicopter... Fun to dream, right? :)

M0nk3y
05-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Have you ever heard of the snap-lock method? Works wonders on stock seat-belts and offers about 90% restraint versus 4 point harnesses

danewilson77
05-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Have you ever heard of the snap-lock method? Works wonders on stock seat-belts and offers about 90% restraint versus 4 point harnesses

No...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

M0nk3y
05-06-2011, 06:12 AM
No...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Ok. When ever you do autocrossing, and you're buckling in, move your seat back about 6 inches before you buckle in.

When you're buckling in, snap the belt so it locks in tension and buckle it in. When you buckle it in, keep holding it in tension and move your seat back into position. If you did it correctly you'll have a very tight belt

danewilson77
05-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Ok. When ever you do autocrossing, and you're buckling in, move your seat back about 6 inches before you buckle in.

When you're buckling in, snap the belt so it locks in tension and buckle it in. When you buckle it in, keep holding it in tension and move your seat back into position. If you did it correctly you'll have a very tight belt

Thanks Kyle. I have done this before....on accident. Squeezed the sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet outta me.

murph
05-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Schroth quick-fit FTW. (for autocross use at least)

I have a set of old Sparco Montecarlos from like 1993. I got a smoking deal on them, which is good because they wouldn't fit me very well if I wasn't such a skinny little dude. Sparco sliders and custom mounts from Wedge Engineering.

bcleaver
05-23-2011, 10:09 AM
So I'm thinking about Sparco Sprint V seats and sliders and schroth quick fit. Should weight about 33lbs with the mounts and sliders. Any thoughts?

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 10:48 AM
So I'm thinking about Sparco Sprint V seats and sliders and schroth quick fit. Should weight about 33lbs with the mounts and sliders. Any thoughts?

Pics for thoughts. I like the sound of it though.

Terry
05-23-2011, 11:38 AM
If you're co-driving then I can understand the sliders. If not maybe consider not doing sliders? (weight and more important height savings)

I say, if someone is 'borrowing' your car they should have to adjust to your position vs take your seat out of adjustment. I'm just picky about that stuff (hence, my wheel alignment discovery :).

-Terry

bcleaver
05-23-2011, 07:17 PM
If you're co-driving then I can understand the sliders. If not maybe consider not doing sliders? (weight and more important height savings)

I say, if someone is 'borrowing' your car they should have to adjust to your position vs take your seat out of adjustment. I'm just picky about that stuff (hence, my wheel alignment discovery :).

-Terry

I hear you Terry, but try telling that to my co-driver/wife! ha!

Terry
05-23-2011, 10:41 PM
LOL. Got it...completely understand :)

MasterC17
05-24-2011, 08:18 AM

Hmm, they look a little uncomfortable, but functional. Would they even be that heavy with the mounts and sliders. The seats are 18.7lbs each, sliders are like 1lb, and mounts can't be too heavy? I'd guess about 25lbs but then again I don't know. I like the Fighter's looks, but they're more expensive. Quick fit's are the way to go for harnesses. Let us know what you decide on :)

spencers
05-24-2011, 12:21 PM

That's what I was taught and it works VERY well.. Takes a couple tries to get it near-perfect

INDY|UND3RGROUND
05-24-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking of having my current seats custom made, just make them hug my torso better, and cover in diamond stitch alcantara

bcleaver
05-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Hmm, they look a little uncomfortable, but functional. Would they even be that heavy with the mounts and sliders. The seats are 18.7lbs each, sliders are like 1lb, and mounts can't be too heavy? I'd guess about 25lbs but then again I don't know. I like the Fighter's looks, but they're more expensive. Quick fit's are the way to go for harnesses. Let us know what you decide on :)

Yea, the seats are light, but the 33lbs is the weight I was told with sliders and mounts. Those are apparently heavy indeed.

murph
06-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Mounts need to be relatively heavy to be secure, but thankfully all that weight is lower than the CG of the car.