PDA

View Full Version : Got my new car babe!

Grex101
05-08-2011, 01:57 PM
2004 330ci zhp with 75000 miles . Car is a beauty, went to New York to pick it up. Pics will be up soon. Driving it back, had a little problem (shocking?). Anyway if anyone can help me with any of these informations, I would be very happy, like really happy.

1) I need a taillight led for 2004 330ci zhp because one of them is blurry and has water in it. It's the driver side one. Anyone is selling one or I guess a pair?

2) When I'm about to start my car, it says "-3225 miles inspection" does that mean I should of done my normal inspection with fluid changing 3225 miles ago?

3) Steering is a little loose on the Highway...but fine on roads...whats the issue? is it part of the car?

4) Near the oil filter, on the right side, there is another device that is dripping a little oil that runs down to the bottom of the car. How serious is that? I heard this problem is fairly common.

5) Does anybody know of a good shop I can do my repairs and service on my BMW for cheaper thn a BMW dealership?

6) In the zhp bumper, the fog lights are covered. However one of them in my car isn't covered at all. Anyone have this piece to sell, or how can I find the part number for it?

7) I'm planning on putting Halo rings in my headlights, I have done my research on all of them, so Im guessing the orion v2 is the best one, right?

That's enough question for today , I really want to care of this car and baby it. If anyone want to help me out, I can pm them my number. Thanks again guys.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the site. What part of the country are you in?

Grex101
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm in Dedham, MA

spencers
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
2) When I'm about to start my car, it says "-3225 miles inspection" does that mean I should of done my normal inspection with fluid changing 3225 miles ago?

Yep!

pleasecorrupt
05-08-2011, 02:18 PM
they're called angel eyes and overwhelming majority of users think that orion v2 predators or eas auroras are best ones in the market but both are priced significantly higher than say khola

Washburn
05-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Did you have a pre purchase inspection done on it before picking it up? did you test drive it? you should have noticed the oil leak and the steering problem,

Steering should be tighter at hwy speeds and loosen up during slow speeds - you might need to describe it more in detail.

I'd fix mechanical/important stuff before beautifying the car - get the oil and steering problem sorted out 1st, then you can see about other stuff.
also, on coupes, headlights need to be baked and taken apart to install Angel eyes/halos.

Search here for a reputed independent BMW shop in your area:
http://www.bimmershops.com/

Grex101
05-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok i'm going with orion thn.

Grex101
05-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I did Washburn...the price was lowered because of that. As for the steering wheel issue, we did not go on the highway.

Washburn
05-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I did Washburn...the price was lowered because of that. As for the steering wheel issue, we did not go on the highway.

oh ok...I only commented on the highway speeds because you said this; i might have misunderstood something though:

3) Steering is a little loose on the Highway...but fine on roads...whats the issue? is it part of the car?.

Grex101
05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
Yea at high speed it is very light...more like effortless to make turns.

Washburn
05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
i think we have speed sensitive steering and it should tighten up at high speeds...not loosen. I still don't understand how you know this if you didn't drive on the hwy ??

Marcus-SanDiego
05-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Perhaps you're feeling some tramlining on the freeway, which makes the car feel loose. In San Diego we have some serious grooves on the freeway. It's not unusual to get pulled and for the steering to feel a bit loose as a result.

danewilson77
05-08-2011, 02:55 PM
1) I need a taillight led for 2004 330ci zhp because one of them is blurry and has water in it. It's the driver side one. Anyone is selling one or I guess a pair?

Post up a "WTB" in the Classified section.

Or

Get new R/C/R tails here....http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/e46-clear-tails-rcr.html

Yes. You should change your oil at an accelerated interval imho though. Alot of fellas are doing 7.5k mile oil and filter changes.

How do you reset?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php?title=BMW_E46#Resetting_the_service_indi cator

3) Steering is a little loose on the Highway...but fine on roads...whats the issue? is it part of the car?

Steering could be anything from the guibo, to the tire. Are you tramlining? Need more details here.

4) Near the oil filter, on the right side, there is another device that is dripping a little oil that runs down to the bottom of the car. How serious is that? I heard this problem is fairly common.

That may be the oil filter housing. The gasket is 5 bux. A pic would be worth 1000 words here.

5) Does anybody know of a good shop I can do my repairs and service on my BMW for cheaper than a BMW dealership?

Location is key here..........

6) In the zhp bumper, the fog lights are covered. However one of them in my car isn't covered at all. Anyone have this piece to sell, or how can I find the part number for it?

www.realoem.com is the best place to find p/n's. What piece do you need?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/MTechFogs.png

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=63_0517&hg=63&fg=15

7) I'm planning on putting Halo rings in my headlights, I have done my research on all of them, so Im guessing the orion v2 is the best one, right?

I have Weisslichts from www.jlevisw.com. Very happy with them. The Orion V2's are also a solid product from www.umnitza.com. Alot depends on your budget.

Welcome to the Mafia.

kayger12
05-08-2011, 03:39 PM
2004 330ci zhp with 75000 miles . Car is a beauty, went to New York to pick it up. Pics will be up soon. Driving it back, had a little problem (shocking?). Anyway if anyone can help me with any of these informations, I would be very happy, like really happy.

5) Does anybody know of a good shop I can do my repairs and service on my BMW for cheaper thn a BMW dealership?

That's enough question for today , I really want to care of this car and baby it. If anyone want to help me out, I can pm them my number. Thanks again guys.

Welcome to the Family.

2) Not necessarily. The oil and service may have been done by a non-BMW service center that didn't care to or know how to reset the inspection interval. Either way, I would change the oil and filter right away for peace of mind. Check out the link that Dane posted to figure out how to reset the service interval yourself once it's done.

3) Sounds like tramlining as others have said.

4) Leak could also be from the power steering fluid reservoir. Take a pic and we can help you out.

5) http://www.bimrs.org/

6)I had great results with the Orion V2s.

mimalmo
05-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Welcome

Grex101
05-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Pics!!!

zhpnsnv
05-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Call that thing KITT and make it call you Michael Knight! Damn fine automobile!

Grex101
05-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks mate

danewilson77
05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Congrats! Looks great!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Grex101
05-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Thank you guys. As soon as I get it register, I'm going to get it service.

CO ZHP
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Welcome and nice looking ride! I think the family has covered your questions but I'll add my two cents on the loose steering... If you apply the brakes and the front end has a little wobble it is probably the front control arm bushings. Just swapped my bushings and the front control arms out this last weekend with Meyle HD units and PowerFlex bushings and it's like AMAZING!

Dave

Grex101
05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
CO ZHP, I dont know if this had anything to do with it, but when I had my girlfriend step on the brake abruptly while she is moving a few down my driveway, U can tell that the car stop but it seems like the front tires are like a split second late. Its kinda cool to see, she cant see that tho lol. And u can hear a a loud noise upon stepping on the brake.

mikeyb74
05-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another New England member here.

RITmusic2k
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Wow, triple black on these cars is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on the new acquisition!

tripod06
05-10-2011, 10:12 AM
loving the black. welcome to the fam!

johnrando
05-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Welcome. Me too... loving the black! John

Grex101
05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I know it is special. Thanks guyz

Marcus-SanDiego
05-10-2011, 11:14 AM
This special? http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?983-Nough-Said-My-BMW-330-ZHP-Is-Not-Special-%28a-video-by-Kayger12%29

Grex101
05-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Ahahah I saw this video a while ago...yes we are special lol

Marcus-SanDiego
05-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes, we are. hehe.

Oli77
05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
I had my girlfriend step on the brake abruptly while she is moving a few down my driveway, U can tell that the car stop but it seems like the front tires are like a split second late. Its kinda cool to see, she cant see that tho lol. And u can hear a a loud noise upon stepping on the brake.

This ^ are tell-tell signs that your Control arm bushings are shot. Movement and loud noise? See below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Pw3V8pMeI&feature=related

Grex101
05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
That's exactly my problem. But his is very severe one. Mine is not that noticeable. Is it expensive to fix?

Oli77
05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I just had an Indy guy do one side for ~$340 (keep in mind my car is not "special" - not ZHP).
He used a rather expensive control arm. A lot of people here can chime in as they do the work themselves. I would not go to the dealership for this.
I do believe the CA is pricey on the ZHPs. Here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1693-Links-to-get-parts.) is a nice page for parts.

Grex101
05-10-2011, 01:53 PM
I think Im going to order it from the BMP site. But not now, because it doesn't seem to alarming of a problem. And on top of that I think something is wrong with my rear break shoe parking because when im stopping I hear a squealing loud noise, like a bed. I don't know if the arm bushing have anything to do with that noise.

danewilson77
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Recognize control arms don't have to be changed when you change control arm bushings.

I recommend Meyle HD from www.ecstuning.com

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

kayger12
05-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Recognize control arms don't have to be changed when you change control arm bushings.

I recommend Meyle HD from www.ecstuning.com

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

+1. Very happy with Meyle HDs.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Grex101
05-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Lol problems already. Anyway do I need to correct this now or can wait a little bit longer.

kayger12
05-10-2011, 05:19 PM
You can wait.

New CABs will certainly improve the feel, ride, and handling though.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

static667
05-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the family. Nice machine you have there.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

Mtnman
05-10-2011, 05:58 PM
welcome. the guys have you covered it seeems like. also, the leak sounds like the power steering fluid reservoir, which does leak, even brand new. pics would help. the blacked out 135 rims are sweeet. first time ive seen that.

aurelius
05-11-2011, 06:31 AM
At your mileage (75k) and if you have no record of it having already been done (and way before any ride pimping), do the COOLING SYSTEM rehab. You WILL be hating life if you do not. None of the items are particularly expensive but there's a lot more to it than just the water pump. Here's a cheat sheet:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17676561/BMW%20docs/BMW%20E46%20Cooling%20System%20Rehab.rtf

And here's a nice price on Meyle control arms + HD bushings:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330Ci-M54_3.0L/Suspension/OEM/ES205226/

CERF04ZHP
05-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Black on black on black on black (with the wheels and windows) - looks bad ass.

Grex101
05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
and on top of that i'm black...wow

johnrando
05-12-2011, 07:24 AM
and on top of that i'm black...wow

So, black on black on black on black. :-)

lilcdkey
05-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Car looks clean! I love the trunk.

iPad Tapatalk FTMFW

danewilson77
05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
For the record.....did you call me babe?

Grex101
05-12-2011, 04:16 PM
Ahha thnks guy for the love. And danewilson77 u wished lol.

danewilson77
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Ahha thnks guy for the love. And danewilson77 u wished lol.

I totally wished.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
05-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Hehe. Great thread.

Grex101
05-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Registering the car Monday...can't wait to put this bad boy on the streets.

danewilson77
05-14-2011, 07:43 PM
Registering the car Monday...can't wait to put this bad boy on the streets.

We can't wait either!

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Grex101
05-18-2011, 05:44 AM
God! I love driving this car. So lighting quick (trying to understand how the steptronic thingy works out) and the handling, the handling is so forgiving. My previous car (a modded 02 Celica) was rough on the edge, slow and annoying. However this car, pardon me, this vehicle is just AMAZING. Glad I took the plunge and purchased it. I'm going to take care of that car forever.

johnrando
05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I have a STEP. I always drive it in S, not D (revs higher before shifting in S). Also, then when you want to shift into M, just start shifting. For example, a little more pep when on the freeway in S, just pull it back and it will go into M mode, downshift into 4th. Voila! When you shift, it's basically a "suggestion" to the AUTO to shift when you want, instead of when it wants. The system keeps you from shifting into the wrong gear. Just play around with it and you'll get used to it. The real trick is that it doesn't shift right away like a manual, so you will likely get the hang of shifting just slightly earlier that you would in a manual to make up for that lag (really don't like the lag, but you get used to it). Hope that helps.

Grex101
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
When I'm on the freeway, I switch it up to S mode thn downshift to 5th gear. Do I jst drive it like that? And do I need upshift at all? And when I'm on 5th gear, and I start to slow down, it gradually go to lower gear. However when I pick it up, do I downshift because if I drive it further, I can hear the engine roars.

johnrando
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
5th is the highest gear... so cruising in 5th in M mode on the freeway is just like cruising in S mode as if you've never shifted. You can drive it either way. And yes, it will gradually go to a lower gear if you slow or you can downshift it yourself. I like to downshift it (to 4th) myself as then it's ready (at higher RPM) for quicker acceleration.

As far as street driving, I like shifting through the gears in M as well when I want a little more pep, and when I'm "just driving", I'll leave it in S. For M in street driving, just move it to S, then shift. It will pick the right gear. Likely the most basic time to do this is when you're just starting off or at a light. You can go back and forth from M to S and vice versa if you change your mind on how you want to shift.

Grex101
05-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Oh...I didn't know S was the same as 5th gear. And when engine roars at low gear, is that bad? Do I need to go higher in the gear? And when do I actually go lower on the gear? I don't want to ruin the engine lol.

johnrando
05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Technically S is not the same as 5th. It's basically the same as 5th when you are at freeway speeds. No worries about the roar, these things are engineered to the highest standards for driving, and at high RPM they perform their best. You won't "hurt" the engine. Now, shifting at higher RPM will hurt your gas mileage and eventually "wear" on your engine more, but if you properly maintain it (especially with oil changes), it will be fine. The oil change intervals are computerized to your driving. Finally, I wouldn't just drive around at high RPM longer than a few seconds as you are working your way to a higher speed shifting up the gears, but certainly if you want the performance for the machine you bought, no issues going to higher revs before shifting yourself in M.

Grex101
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow, thanks a lot man...really appreciate all the info. You guys are great.

billschusteriv
05-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Hello!

I believe when you shift from "D" to "S", it shows "S" and remains in whatever gear you need to be in based on history and the modified shift points.

You also have the kickdown on the accelerator. Press the accelerator until it "pauses", then press a little more. It should feel like you've pressed a button with your foot. This should downshift to assist in acceleration.

johnrando
05-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello!

I believe when you shift from "D" to "S", it shows "S" and remains in whatever gear you need to be in based on history and the modified shift points.

You also have the kickdown on the accelerator. Press the accelerator until it "pauses", then press a little more. It should feel like you've pressed a button with your foot. This should downshift to assist in acceleration.

Yes, a huge percent of my driving is in S exclusively.

Grex101
05-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Well its a great difference between the 2.

Grex101
06-28-2015, 09:46 PM
I feel like reviving this thread from the dead.

Oli77
06-29-2015, 01:04 PM
So tell us, did you change your control arm bushings and the control arms?

WOLFN8TR
06-29-2015, 02:29 PM
4 year dead. Hows' the ride?