PDA

View Full Version : Anyone need BMW front control arm? BMW OEM shocks?

MrMaico
11-26-2010, 10:21 AM
BMW must be clearing out their E46 suspension upgrade kits like they are the Performance rotors because they are selling a kit with ZHP control arms, ZHP shocks, front swaybar, bump stops for the shocks and hardware for $444. Seems like a good deal to me when you consider Tischer gets $236 a piece for ZHP control arms.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=31_0808&hg=31&fg=95&hl=1

Turner has a better description and picture of it here but they want $574 for the kit.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=33500429577

Even if you just needed the control arms you could sell the shocks and come out pretty good. I'm tempted to buy a kit even though I don't need control arms yet but I'm sure my shocks are getting tired at 86,000 miles. Since I don't plan on lowering my car the OEM shocks would be all I need. Sure Koni FSDs would be nice but they are over $700 a set.

On another note, I have been buying my parts lately from BMW of Lincoln. Their prices are a lot cheaper than Tischer on many parts. I realize they don't sponsor any forums etc. like Tischer does but I'm not that well off that I can afford to pay more for stuff just for that reason.
They also have free shipping on orders over $250, or was it $300. It in their ads in Roundel. And in my case they are 3 or 4 days closer to me on shipping times. Free shipping isn't good on oversize or overweight items though.

For example the ZHP control arm is $236.57 at Tischer and $188.66 at Lincoln. Or my windshield....$296.34 vs $215.95 at Lincoln. The suspension kit is only a $4 difference though but most parts I've checked are quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=215771

Just trying to pass along a good deal to the Mafia.....

Barry

zhpnsnv
11-26-2010, 10:28 AM
VERY COOL! I think I'm going to hop on this. I've already done rear shocks/mounts, so this will definitely come up in the next year or so.

Okay I posted before looking at the links. Where is this deal?

MrMaico
11-26-2010, 10:32 AM
The part number is 33500429577 from realoem. Just punch that number into either dealer website for the prices. Tischers website is here....

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=214672&catalogid=0

Marcus-SanDiego
11-26-2010, 10:41 AM
Is this the same thing?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=755880&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462&tab=27618

MrMaico
11-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Is this the same thing?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=755880&siteid=214672&catalogid=4462&tab=27618

Yup, it looks that way. I see that includes free shipping. I wonder if they'll still do the free shipping at the $444 price that you get by punching in the part number on their fiche?

Daddyoh
11-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm thinking these parts are clearance / discontinued. I say so because Tischer was a sponser at the NCC BMWCCA Chapterfest in Bowie MD in October. One of Tischer's techs was there doing a diy on shocks & struts. He was installing a package that ran I think $125 with hardware, or some rediculous price due to them being discontinued. The price was amazing as I recall. I didnt have an E46, and I cant say they were performace. But this price above is a bargain any way you look at it..........except I just dropped over $500 for tax and registration for my new (to me)Z.....oh well.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Shoot Evan Winstead a note over at Tischer. See if he'll do that, Barry.

MrMaico
11-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm thinking these parts are clearance / discontinued. I say so because Tischer was a sponser at the NCC BMWCCA Chapterfest in Bowie MD in October. One of Tischer's techs was there doing a diy on shocks & struts. He was installing a package that ran I think $125 with hardware, or some rediculous price due to them being discontinued. The price was amazing as I recall. I didnt have an E46, and I cant say they were performace. But this price above is a bargain any way you look at it..........except I just dropped over $500 for tax and registration for my new (to me)Z.....oh well.

I think you're right, they have been doing a clearance on a bunch of stuff, the Performance intakes, strut bars, exhaust and also on the CSL brake upgrade for the M3.
That $125 price must have been for something else though, if not I'd take 2 for that price!:)

Shoot Evan Winstead a note over at Tischer. See if he'll do that, Barry.

Might have to do that, but I'll check Lincoln first. They say they'll match any deal. My last order at Tischer, for the Performance rotors, showed all parts were "in stock" yet it took a week and 2 unanswered e mails before it shipped. Then it takes another week for parts to get to me from them where it only takes 2 or 3 days from Nebraska. Sucks living in the middle of nowhere. :(

Marcus-SanDiego
11-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Might have to do that, but I'll check Lincoln first. They say they'll match any deal. My last order at Tischer, for the Performance rotors, showed all parts were "in stock" yet it took a week and 2 unanswered e mails before it shipped. Then it takes another week for parts to get to me from them where it only takes 2 or 3 days from Nebraska. Sucks living in the middle of nowhere. :(

It takes even longer to get to me. They're in MD. I am all the way out here in CA.

MrMaico
11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Trade you.....LOL. I should have moved somewhere warmer a long time ago but I also don't like it too hot either. It really sucks though having to park the car for 4 or 5 months every year.

Daddyoh
11-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Bummer Barry. I get next day service basically free from Tischer.
I bet Evan or his sidekick Jason Reighard would match pricing. I'm surprised about your disappointing service experience you talked about. Of course, my experiences are from the
E36 wilderness, lol.

Anyway, the offer I mentioned from the diy was absolutely for 2 struts, 2 shocks and hardware...no kidding. But now that I think about it, he was replacing the dampers on an E90. The tech was a great young man from Tischer who went out of his way all day to help bystanders at the Chapterfest October 30.

Hope things work out great for you!

Marcus-SanDiego
11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Trade you.....LOL. I should have moved somewhere warmer a long time ago but I also don't like it too hot either. It really sucks though having to park the car for 4 or 5 months every year.

You should come to San Diego. Very mild weather -- year round.

MrMaico
11-27-2010, 10:37 AM
You should come to San Diego. Very mild weather -- year round.

So I've heard, milder weather even than LA, I think? It would be nice to make it down there sometime. I have been to LA several times but never made it farther south than Long Beach. I always stayed in Malibu at the Malibu Beach Inn, expensive but very nice and right next to Surfrider Beach and the pier. I used to fly to Phoenix once or twice a year and rent a car and make a loop between PHX, Vegas and LA, usually timed so I could make the Nascar race in PHX. I also was able to make it into the SEMA show in Vegas twice. That was pretty amazing!

I'm planning next summer to come out to the west coast in the ZHP but doubt if I'd make it that far south. I love the ocean so along with that I'd be searching for good twisties, lots of those in Northern Cali. I was out to the coast years ago in both of my other Bimmers, a 72 2002 and 79 320i and had a blast so I have to keep the tradition going with the ZHP.

If I ever do make it out your way I'll be sure to let you know though Marcus. Maybe when things get nasty here mid winter I'll burn up my airline miles and fly out that way.

Barry

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Barry, let me know. We'll definitely get together.

zhp43867
11-27-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm going to CA on a road trip next summer. My goal is to also go through Death Valley with my zhp, always have wanted to. :) Wanted to visit Pikes Peake and one other drivable mountain- can't remember the name atm in Colorado. Drive along the coastal highway, it will be fun. :)

Linh
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Any updates on this? Direct BMW/Mercedes has them for $440, not sure FS though.

Anyway this seems like a killer deal for shocks/struts, control arms, and bushings. Would be even better especially with free shipping!

Marcus-SanDiego
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Great prices. Has anyone checked to see if Tischer will match prices?

danewilson77
11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
That 444 price is a crazy good deal.

Linh
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, killer crazy deal!

MrMaico
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Any updates on this? Direct BMW/Mercedes has them for $440, not sure FS though.

Anyway this seems like a killer deal for shocks/struts, control arms, and bushings. Would be even better especially with free shipping!

No sorry, I haven't checked any further on this yet. I just realized the other day that this doesn't include the front control arm bushings. Still a good deal though.

MrMaico
11-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Great prices. Has anyone checked to see if Tischer will match prices?

Actually on this item there is only a $4 difference between the two. Might come down to whether or not Lincoln or maybe even Tischer would offer free shipping on it or if they consider it oversize or overweight.

Linh
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Hmmm. . . . Thought the control arms would come with bushings in them. Makes me wonder if it comes with the ball joints?

MrMaico
11-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Hmmm. . . . Thought the control arms would come with bushings in them. Makes me wonder if it comes with the ball joints?

That would be nice and you would think that they'd come with them but apparently BMW didn't agree. Everything shown here should be included so you do at least get the better quality control arms with steel balljoints and that come with the ZHP. I've compared the part numbers to verify it. The link I posted earlier from Turner shows the part numbers.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/suspensionE46bmwperformancesus/1109063624_ffy6i-L.jpg

danewilson77
11-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Looks like CA's with non replaceable ball joints are included with no CAB's....

jjcools
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Man, all these crazy deals. I wish I had the money to get them all as a back up. Too bad. Maybe they will go on sale next year...

Linh
11-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Any comfirmation on free shipping from either suppliers?

Linh
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Looks like Tischer has the best price: $469 shipped compared to Turners almost $600 shipped. Haven't checked Direct BMW/Mercedes yet.

danewilson77
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
That would fall in line, as Tischer has some of the best prices out there.....along with ecstuning.

MrMaico
12-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Looks like Tischer has the best price: $469 shipped compared to Turners almost $600 shipped. Haven't checked Direct BMW/Mercedes yet.

Any news on this? Have you ordered? I hope you will post a pic of the kit if you're getting one. Seeing an actual pic of everything might be the incentive I need to go ahead and order one for myself. I can't decide what to order first, my windshield is pretty pitted and I'd like to replace that sometime too. It's only noticeable when driving into the sun though so I could live with it for a while. Decisions, decisions.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I agree. I don't even need this stuff. If it looks too good to pass up, though, I may have no choice.

What's the latest, Linh?

danewilson77
12-02-2010, 03:14 PM
That would be nice and you would think that they'd come with them but apparently BMW didn't agree. Everything shown here should be included so you do at least get the better quality control arms with steel balljoints and that come with the ZHP. I've compared the part numbers to verify it. The link I posted earlier from Turner shows the part numbers.

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/suspensionE46bmwperformancesus/1109063624_ffy6i-L.jpg

In addition to the above kit....you will need RSM's, FSM's, and CAB's to dhu eeeeet correctly.

EDIT: Additionally...I can't believe the shock setup is worth a damn at that price.

If you're gonna do it right.....buy coilovers...and this....

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/86975_x600.jpg

Please do not take this the wrong way. Just saying that the front sway bar is really unecessary IMHO. All you should need are the bushings. And the shocks can't be that great at 50 bux a pop. Maybe it is....make me a liar. I would just be leary of the longevity.

What is the warranty on the shocks?

MrMaico
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree. I don't even need this stuff. If it looks too good to pass up, though, I may have no choice.

What's the latest, Linh?

LOL....so I'm not the only one that feels that way. In the meantime, while I decide I just HAVE to buy SOMETHING! Christmas and all you know. So I think it will be one of these....

http://mrmaico.smugmug.com/Cars/BMW-ZHP-misc/CSLBrake16/1112510102_tRjbj-XL.jpg

part # 34412282661 here....

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL91&mospid=47621&btnr=34_0767&hg=34&fg=30

$72.48.....you have to buy the complete handbrake lever. Kinda expensive just for a piece of Alcantara but what the hell. It just looks so nice! It's from the M3 CSL and M3 ZCP.

Also, I just noticed that Lincoln BMW has raised their prices so that they are the same as Tischer now. I had heard that those lower prices were just a special they had going for a couple of months and it looks like that was correct. DAMN....I knew I should have ordered a windshield! Price went up about $85 to $296.

Barry

danewilson77
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Hand brake is smex....

MrMaico
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Hand brake is smex....

Yes it is. Dane, I hadn't seen your post above when I started mine and you make some good points but I have to run so I will reply later tonight or tomorrow.

Later.....Barry

Linh
12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Haven't order yet, as I'm trying to gather a list of parts before I do, including a couple tail light harness that melted. I did purchase the harness at a dealership an hour away, and they charged me almost $150 for both lights!

Linh
12-02-2010, 07:30 PM
In addition to the above kit....you will need RSM's, FSM's, and CAB's to dhu eeeeet correctly.

EDIT: Additionally...I can't believe the shock setup is worth a damn at that price.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/86975_x600.jpg

Please do not take this the wrong way. Just saying that the front sway bar is really unecessary IMHO. All you should need are the bushings. And the shocks can't be that great at 50 bux a pop. Maybe it is....make me a liar. I would just be leary of the longevity.

You do make a point on rsm's and fsm's, but doesn't ECS sell upgraded parts that you could install on the OEM mounts to strengthen them?

Btw I've seen people asking $3-400 for their used OEM zhp shocks/springs.

danewilson77
12-02-2010, 09:10 PM
So...your saying strengthen the old mounts? Wut?

Don't buy used sheeeet.

Linh
12-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Haha I was just saying. Suspension parts is one of the things I don't buy used bc you never really don't know how "used" they've been.

As for rebuilding the oem mounts, I'm hoping it could be just as effective and a better bang for your buck alternative. More power for everyone that could afford coilovers though, but imo the stock zhp setup is very nicely balanced towards performance without compromising to much for the daily driver.

danewilson77
12-03-2010, 05:13 AM
To hell with parking it. Get some steelies with Blizzaks ftw!

MrMaico
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I'd like to upgrade my shocks but I want to stay with the stock setup. I don't think I'd want to go with coilovers since all of them I've ever looked at will lower the car and stiffen the ride. IMO my car rides stiff enough as is and I definitely don't want it any lower. It sounds like the Koni FSD might be the way to go but it sounds like even those give a stiffer ride than stock.....depending on who you listen to. And it sounds like the Bilstein HD also are firmer.

I actually bought a set of stock shocks/struts a year ago with 10,000 miles on them when I ran across a deal too good to pass up and also ordered new OEM strut mounts and Meyle HD shock mounts and new boots/bump stops etc. but never did install them yet since it seems to me that my stock suspension works great. Since buying those used shocks/struts though I ran across this kit so that's another reason I haven't installed the used ones. To be honest though if money wasn't an issue I'd probably already have a set of FSDs installed.

The only thing I would fault with my stock suspension would be if I could have a bit less body roll in tight, fast corners but I really wouldn't want to sacrifice much comfort for it. Maybe stiffer swaybars is what I'd need?.........And a set of FSDs?:)

About the warranty, I'd assume they come with the standard 2 year BMW warranty?

As far as the Meyle control arms, that's just something I'd want to stay with OEM parts on. Just a personal thing, I'm the same way with my BMW bike.

ZSP-Mafia
12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Dammit!! I wish I'd known about this before I spent $500 at ecstuning for all Meyle parts. I have the most annoying clunking/knocking sound and I can't figure out what it is. Everything is brand new so something I got is faulty and troubleshooting is turning out to be extremely difficult.

kayger12
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Dammit!! I wish I'd known about this before I spent $500 at ecstuning for all Meyle parts. I have the most annoying clunking/knocking sound and I can't figure out what it is. Everything is brand new so something I got is faulty and troubleshooting is turning out to be extremely difficult.

Details please. Maybe someone on here can help you troubleshoot.

ZSP-Mafia
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I dont wanna jack this thread. Im putting it on the lift first thing tomorrow morning to see if it's anything obvious. If I still can't figure it out, I'll start a new thread.

danewilson77
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Pm me a list of parts you installed on your car....and which ones were from ecs...