PDA

View Full Version : Break it down for me ...

pleasecorrupt
05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Pictures would be great. How are your headlights suppose to be stock. Which and what lights are DRL, what lights should be on when you turn on headlights, what lights should be on with fog, and what lights should be on during highbeams. There is a reason behind this my simplistic madness. Promise:fingerscrossed

johnrando
05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I'll give it a shot tomorrow with pics from my stock set up (Xenon's) if no one else responds first. John

pleasecorrupt
05-10-2011, 09:54 PM
much appreciated :) should've asked specifically for xenons but luckily thats the new standard that everyone tries to have :)

johnrando
05-11-2011, 10:04 AM
1st is parking lights only

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/lights1.jpg

2nd is parking lights with fogs

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/lights2.jpg

3rd is headlights w/o fogs

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/lights3a.jpg

4th is headlights w fogs

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/lights3.jpg

5th is high beams

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/lights5.jpg

I don't have DRLs so the inner lights never came on during all of this. I thought those would be the high beams but they are not. Also, the fog lights do not come on when the high beams are on. I learned two things doing this exercise. Thanks! Hope this helps.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
That's right, John. You have bi-xenon lights. That means that the highs and lows come out of the same projector (same bulb, just at different angles).

billschusteriv
05-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Good info!

spencers
05-11-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't have DRLs so the inner lights never came on during all of this. I thought those would be the high beams but they are not. Also, the fog lights do not come on when the high beams are on. I learned two things doing this exercise. Thanks! Hope this helps.
The inner headlamps are the flash-to-pass lamps. Pull the turn-signal stalk toward you and you'll see. (or have a friend do it while you take a picture)

pleasecorrupt
05-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Guess I shouldve asked directly what the inner bulbs are for. Was checking out my lights since my orions are about to come and noticed that regardless what I did inner lights never went on. :) thanks guys.

johnrando
05-11-2011, 12:37 PM
I thought they might be flash to pass as well, but I had a neighbor check it out while I did it and they didn't come on. Only the brights did. I also did it while behind a truck as I could see my reflection and nothing came on... so either something is burned out, wired wrong, or they are only for DRLs.

pleasecorrupt
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I think it's drl only can't be such a coincidence that both sides go out at the same time and in both of our cars. I tried to figure out what it was before hand but nothing worked

spencers
05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I thought they might be flash to pass as well, but I had a neighbor check it out while I did it and they didn't come on. Only the brights did. I also did it while behind a truck as I could see my reflection and nothing came on... so either something is burned out, wired wrong, or they are only for DRLs.

Ah! I must be thinking of single xenons, rather than the bixenons. My bad!

I wonder if there are actually any bulbs in the high-beam housing.
Would make for an interesting mod to enable high beams, xenon high beam shutters, and fogs come on when the turn signal stalk is pushed forward. :mwah

johnrando
05-11-2011, 02:41 PM
That's right, John. You have bi-xenon lights. That means that the highs and lows come out of the same projector (same bulb, just at different angles).

Good to know. BTW, I almost forgot to say, bi-xenon = bi-winning! :-) I'm guessing earlier years did not have bi-xenons?

Mtnman
05-11-2011, 04:11 PM
No guys....bixenon have the inner bulbs as flash to pass. John, you have something wrong. Fuse, bulbs, something. But the innner bulbs should light when u pull the stalk back towards the driver.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

pleasecorrupt
05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
No guys....bixenon have the inner bulbs as flash to pass. John, you have something wrong. Fuse, bulbs, something. But the innner bulbs should light when u pull the stalk back towards the driver.

just verified this, turns out i just assumed pulling in would be high beams as well but when you pull the lever in towards you it is flash to pass. gj david :)

johnrando
05-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks David! I'll check it out. John

spencers
05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
just verified this, turns out i just assumed pulling in would be high beams as well but when you pull the lever in towards you it is flash to pass. gj david :)

Ha, somehow I knew that was the case.

az3579
05-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Ah! I must be thinking of single xenons, rather than the bixenons. My bad!

I wonder if there are actually any bulbs in the high-beam housing.
Would make for an interesting mod to enable high beams, xenon high beam shutters, and fogs come on when the turn signal stalk is pushed forward. :mwah

This can be accomplished through NCS Expert.