PDA

View Full Version : Post cooling system overhaul issue

SC4ME
05-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I replaced virtually the entire cooling system a few months ago (all belts, hoses, new thermostat, new Stewart water pump, new coolant, new pulleys, etc).

Everything seems to be working fine, no overheating, needle stays in middle of gauge, etc.

The only issue I have is it seems that the heater doesn't blow out hot air, just warm air (regardless of the little dial on the dash that mixes the cold/hot air). But if I put on the defroster, it is very hot air.

I'm thinking that there might be an air bubble somewhere in the heatercore that is hampering the heat exchanger (but it doesnt explain why I still have hot air for the defroster).

Has any one else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it??

Disclaimer, I do live in California so I can not swear that the heater worked differently before the coolant system overhaul. However, I was recently up in the mountains visiting Mom and all I can say is, butt warmers FTW!

kayger12
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Sounds like you just need to re-bleed the system.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Raise the front end of the car and bleed the sheet outta it. Heat set on 91...blower on low...

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

SC4ME
05-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Will try in a couple days and let you all know how it goes.

aurelius
05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
If bleeding doesn't work, this sounds a lot like what happens when the water/heater valve fails. Super easy DIY and a known e46 failure point. Replaced mine @ 60k mis.

$59 @ Husker BMW in Nebraska
64 11 8 369 805

Here's a DIY:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=617301

SC4ME
05-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Interesting. The thing that I didnt understand is the defroster being very hot while the heater is barely warm. Thanks for the possibility, easy to test (when I get time!!)

billschusteriv
05-20-2011, 02:37 AM
Solid recommendations all around. Let us know how the bleed goes.

I'll take a quick look at the defogger on the realoem drawings to see if its assisted by an electric element or something else. Anyone know this?

aurelius
07-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Update?

How many miles on your car?