PDA

View Full Version : My MPG gauge died

kpro
05-12-2011, 11:18 AM
You know that pointless little gauge that gives you your fuel economy as your driving...you know the one that is connected directly to your gas pedal, lawls. When you floor it it goes to 12mpg, and when coasting you get over 50mpg... yeah, well mine stopped working yesterday while driving, its pointing at the floor.

Should I be concerned?? I also got a random, check fuel cap light too on the same day...I haven't bought gas since last Friday.

I did a search over on the e46fanatics site and nothing really came up, its not important really, just WTF? is my car psycho?

RITmusic2k
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Pointless? POINTLESS?!?

Hehe, sorry - I'm still amped up from writing all that stuff in the hypermiling thread.

I think the needle issue sounds like a mechanical failure, since the needle when functioning correctly doesn't rest in a downward position even when the car is off...

I'm assuming you checked your CEL and it gave you an EVAP system code? That's usually for a loose gas cap, but the code can be triggered by actual component failures in the EVAP system as well, as far as I know.

kpro
05-12-2011, 11:53 AM
The light turned off yesterday, but the gauge is still pointing to the floor. You're probably right, it just died most likely...weird. The check filler cap light turned off tho.

Crickett
05-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Man, you are just having $#!! luck lately, Kristen! Just look at it as an opportunity to get familiar with the inner workings of the E46 instrument cluster! :rofl

kpro
05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
yes, shit luck has been following me for quite some time now. I always put forth good karma, so I'm hoping for a blessing here soon :)

danewilson77
05-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Your car is not psycho...it's Beaterific.

My vote is on the needle. I would have to pull cluster (3 torx screws and unclip two harnesses) and have a look at it. I think it would drive me crazy.

johnrando
05-12-2011, 02:15 PM
Bummer. Agree with the other calls, sounds like mechanical needle failure.

Kudos
05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Look on the upside Kristen, now you can officially join the mafia with a zhp :)

norman@southbayBMW
05-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Looks like u need a new instrument cluster....try hitting the dashboard on top of the cluster if the needle moves that means u need a new cluster

Marcus-SanDiego
05-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Looks like u need a new instrument cluster....try hitting the dashboard on top of the cluster if the needle moves that means u need a new cluster

Good tip, Norman.

johnrando
05-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I always liked the scene in Top Gun where the pilot (forget who) is flying some mega-billion dollar fighter and he taps the instrument gauge, just like we tap ours on our mere non-flying machines worth much less!

zhpnsnv
05-13-2011, 01:09 AM
I always liked the scene in Top Gun where the pilot (forget who) is flying some mega-billion dollar fighter and he taps the instrument gauge, just like we tap ours on our mere non-flying machines worth much less!

That would be Goose. "we're running way low on fuel, mav!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
05-13-2011, 01:17 AM
That would be Goose. "we're running way low on fuel, mav!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And right before that Goose said that they didn't have the gas* for what they were doing.

*=you don't use the word gas when referring to jet fuel. An obvious party foul there in the movie.

az3579
05-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Kristen,
You could perform an instrument cluster self test. Perhaps it will unstick the needle.

Here's how:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyhzbSOcqJI

Marcus-SanDiego
05-13-2011, 06:26 AM
Cool. Thanks for posting that, BP. Just learned something else about the car.

billschusteriv
05-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Kristen - Do you have the OBC option? Can you check your fuel economy by pressing the end of the turn signal stalk? Should be a button on the end of the stalk labeled "BC". Looks kinda like this:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102138&stc=1&d=1294162099

I'm thinking that if you can still read it using your OBC, that it is not a combination of failed sensors not providing the input to the computer to calculate your MPG.

The other thought is that you've developed a ground somewhere in or behind the cluster and it is grounding out the MPG gage.

Has anyone replaced the gages on the e46 instrument cluster? I've done it on the e30 motometer and VDO clusters. Is it similar? Could this be a failed MPG gage and require replacement of the RPM/MPG combo gage?

johnrando
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Cool. Thanks for posting that, BP. Just learned something else about the car.

Awesome post BP! Marcus, maybe this should go in the "Everything you know a bout ZHP" or some sort of maint thread.

kpro
05-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks BP! A swift smack this morning corrected the issue...and it worked fine all the way to work. I think when I go outside to go to lunch I will do the cluster reset just incase.

Bill, the first thing I checked when the gauge dropped was my OBC, and it was working fine, so it must be a problem with the cluster. funny thing, my prelude requires a swift smack to the cluster for the left half to light up...I'm pretty good at smacking my cars around to make them behave.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Awesome post BP! Marcus, maybe this should go in the "Everything you know a bout ZHP" or some sort of maint thread.

Agree. We will figure out a place for it.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

az3579
05-13-2011, 09:09 AM
There is another way to get to this test without having to reset your trip meter miles; this is the method I use when I don't have my diagnostic computer with me.

1. Hold down the trip meter reset button (left side on instrument cluster), turn the key to position 2. OBC will show 'test' on the display.
2. Press the trip meter button until it shows '19' on the display.
3. The display will toggle between 'ON' and 'OFF'. Wait for it to display 'OFF', and then hold the trip reset button for a fraction of a second.
4. Immediately keep pressing the trip reset button until you hit '2'. If you don't do this fast enough, it will all reset and you'll have to start over.
5. If my memory serves me correctly, you'll have to press the trip reset button once '2' is selected to activate the test. All of your lights and gauges will come on and do a self test.

quikryptonite
05-13-2011, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=az3579;57536]Kristen,
You could perform an instrument cluster self test. Perhaps it will unstick the needle. /QUOTE]

That is pretty slick. I am going to give it a try when I get home tonight.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-13-2011, 09:15 AM
If someone wants to put all of this info in a single post and thread, feel free.

kayger12
05-13-2011, 01:26 PM
If someone wants to put all of this info in a single post and thread, feel free.

Done. Here http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2862-Hidden-OBC-Access-Codes&p=57708#post57708

Marcus-SanDiego
05-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Done. Here http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2862-Hidden-OBC-Access-Codes&p=57708#post57708

Thanks, boss.

kayger12
05-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Pleasure, sir.