PDA

View Full Version : ZHP member locations?

Kudos
11-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Since some of us are new *me*, it would be cool to see on a map where everyone is located. Just a simple map of US, with thumb tacks if someone knows how to code something like this would be pretty cool i think.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Kudos, let me see if the software that tracks my stats also provides a map. Will get back to you.

EDIT: no, it doesn't.

I've been thinking of monitoring my traffic with sitemeter, which I used on my last site. It does have a map feature (with pins). Once I do start monitoring with it, I will post up a map.

We don't have a lot of members here, so you should have no problem getting to know everyone in the meantime.

If people edit their profile to include their location, that will be a good start -- and make it a lot easier to see where everyone is.

Welcome, Kudos! Glad to have you.

mimalmo
11-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Haha, mine is probably going to show all over the place. I'm usually on my laptop using either my home network or if I'm on the road, a Sprint wireless hotspot. I sometimes also use my BlackBerry. I think using the registration data would be way more accurate than sitemeter.

Can we make location of city and state a required part of registration?

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 08:02 AM
I could make it a requirement but I do not want to do that. Some users would rather not divulge their geography; I respect that.

For those who do not mind, it would be nice if their profile included location. But it's up to them.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I have now installed sitemeter. It occurs to me that I need to draft a privacy policy, so that you guys know what I do with the information I have about you. Once I have drafted it, I will post it here for you to read. There will always be a privacy policy link on the site.

danewilson77
11-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I would think we would want the map to just cue off the profile data.

I think it would be easy to just update a map with the info.

Marcus...if you can easily send me profile data...bring it, and I will just construct a map....until you have the other feature available.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Forum members can read ZHPMafia.com's privacy policy here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?291-ZHPMafia.com-Privacy-Policy).

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I would think we would want the map to just cue off the profile data.

I think it would be easy to just update a map with the info.

Marcus...if you can easily send me profile data...bring it, and I will just construct a map....until you have the other feature available.

No worries, Dane. Now that I am monitoring site traffic, a nice map will be built within a week.

danewilson77
11-27-2010, 08:57 AM
ok....just trying to help out.

Marcus-SanDiego
11-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Yep. I just didn't want you to waste your time. Plus, I do not have access, in some cases, to location. Unless the member puts it in the profile, I only have access to ip addresses.