PDA

View Full Version : Quaife LSD?

Mike V
05-16-2011, 06:20 PM
So as mentioned before, I've been itching to trade up to an E46 M3 but at the same time, I'm a bit skeptical about getting into a higher mileage car (the one I'm considering has 72k miles) that will most likely need costly upkeep soon.

I've been thinking about going with an aftermarket LSD since the lack of a proper one is what irritates me the most about this car. Diffsonline and Performance Gearing, although quality units, are more than I'm willing to spend. After searching a bit more, I found that Quaife also offers an LSD for our cars and it's reasonably priced ($1305), compared to the other options. Any experience on here with the Quaife LSD?

The car is bone stock as it sits now. With a Quaife, good-sounding intake and a tune, I think I would be much happier with the car.

http://hpashop.com/product.sc?productId=115&categoryId=183

Now that I look again, I get the impression that what is supplied just replaces the guts inside the stock case?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Two things: first, I do have experience with the Quaife LSD -- but on my 335. I enjoyed it, even though I did not track the car. The car felt more sure with the LSD (especially with the more than 400 ft. lbs. of torque). Second, I know Harold, who works at HP Autowerks (they're located about 3.5 hours north of me). Great guy. Honest guy. I'd buy parts from him all day long.

spencers
05-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Yes, the Quaife ATB replaces the internals

az3579
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes, the Quaife ATB replaces the internals

So how does that work? You send it in and they do the work, or they send you the internals to do yourself?

bullfrogs_M3
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
M3 rear end cheaper?

az3579
05-18-2011, 08:51 AM
M3 rear end cheaper?

No; requires the whole rear subframe.

bullfrogs_M3
05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
No; requires the whole rear subframe.

Yes, true, but all the parts combined can be had for well under $1K. Rear offsets will change but you get an LSD for well under the cost of an aftermarket one

az3579
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Yes, true, but all the parts combined can be had for well under $1K. Rear offsets will change but you get an LSD for well under the cost of an aftermarket one

For some folks, this isn't allowed under certain motorsport classing, like in auto-x. Someone in STX can't do that, for example.
For everyone else, well, go for it. :)

Mike V
05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I did look into the used M3 parts option but I didn't find anything under $1500 for everything that was needed and the Quaife is probably better than the OE M3 unit anyway.

Marcus, did you have a shop install the LSD into your 335 case?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Mike, because the 2009 335 has a welded ring gear, we must do a full pumpkin exchange. HP Autowerks (Harold's shop) shipped the new pumpkin (with diff inside and ready to go). No shims or adjustments necessary.

Then I had Euro Auto Spot, down in San Diego, install the diff on the car.

Mike V
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the info, Marcus.

Marcus-SanDiego
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM
De nada, amigo.

jam149
05-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Marcus, did you have a shop install the LSD into your 335 case?

If you do need to have a shop install the LSD in the stock carrier - make sure you can either:
(a) get new side bearings for the diff
or
(b) take great care in removing the stock side bearings so you can reuse them

Also, make sure that the item you are looking at really is compatible with the ZHP. When I was looking around a couple of years ago, a lot of options fit the non-ZHP diff only (I do not know what the difference is, quite frankly).

I ended up with a unit from Turner that was supposed to use the stock bearings, only I didn't really pay attention to that detail when I gave it to the shop to do. I had read that the e36 bearings would be a fit (since you can not, apparently, get stock replacements anywhere), so I ordered a set of those e36's as replacements instead. Well, the shop damaged the stock side bearings getting them off (thinking they'd just use the e36 bearings). Well, wouldn't you know - but it doesn't work quite as planned!

In my case, we had to reuse the stock outer races and make the e36 bearings fit in those races (its lucky that the sizes in these dimensions match). It took a lot of measuring and ordering of custom shims to get the clearances right with those bearings. Its run fine ever since - but for a while there I was REALLY nervous that I had just nuked my diff with no way to fix it other than ordering a new one!

Maybe part availability has gotten better in the last 2 years. I hope so - it was impossible to get those stock bearings - I called around everywhere.

Hope you have way better luck!

Mike V
05-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Great info, thanks! And welcome to the site. :)

bcleaver
05-22-2011, 02:44 PM
From my research the quaife is a great LSD for street use, but not really designed for heavy track/race use. Not sure if this is becuase of strength or the design of it. So depends on your end use.