PDA

View Full Version : Angel eye wiring options...

TRELO
05-17-2011, 10:45 AM
So I know the only wiring diagram I could find to wire up the AE's was to hook up to that power wire in the engine box and they would be on w ignition on and mine would sometimes not turn off with ignition off and I would have to walk back to car and cycle ignition to get it to shut off (ANNOYING!!!!!! :)N )

So I hunted for an option. I quickly thought ooo geee I'll wire it to the corner lights. FALSE. Its a 2 wire system. Then I thought hmmmmm hook up a switch? Nope it would look ugly.

So while I was installing my HID fogs I realized something. I ONLY WANT MY AE's ON WITH MY FOGS! ( or headlights at night). :idea

So if you're like me...this is a quick easy way to get this done and eliminate the ae's on all the time and trigger them with the fogs.

Remove the driver side fog light and corner light. Get some wire...idk im guessing like 4-5 ft to be safe. Simply drop the wire through the corner light opening down inside the bumper reach in the fog light hole and grab it. If I can accomplish this with my paws anyone can. Use a connector and jump the yellow wire on the fog light harness. I spliced into my hid harness. Close it all up...run the wire through which ever way you can... run it up to the trigger wire and disconnect it from the original ALWAYS ON spot and simply connect there. It works. No problems and simple to install.

I just hated the ae's on all the time and the fact sometimes they would stick on. Esp if the lady were driving the car I would not want the dreaded "YOU F***ING CAR WONT START!!!" HAHA

Happy modding my friends! :roundel

johnrando
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Like it! Can you post a pic of your AEs on w/the 6K fogs? That's what I'm about to buy.

bullfrogs_M3
05-17-2011, 01:47 PM
So I know the only wiring diagram I could find to wire up the AE's was to hook up to that power wire in the engine box and they would be on w ignition on and mine would sometimes not turn off with ignition off and I would have to walk back to car and cycle ignition to get it to shut off (ANNOYING!!!!!! :)N )

So I hunted for an option. I quickly thought ooo geee I'll wire it to the corner lights. FALSE. Its a 2 wire system. Then I thought hmmmmm hook up a switch? Nope it would look ugly.

So while I was installing my HID fogs I realized something. I ONLY WANT MY AE's ON WITH MY FOGS! ( or headlights at night). :idea

So if you're like me...this is a quick easy way to get this done and eliminate the ae's on all the time and trigger them with the fogs.

Remove the driver side fog light and corner light. Get some wire...idk im guessing like 4-5 ft to be safe. Simply drop the wire through the corner light opening down inside the bumper reach in the fog light hole and grab it. If I can accomplish this with my paws anyone can. Use a connector and jump the yellow wire on the fog light harness. I spliced into my hid harness. Close it all up...run the wire through which ever way you can... run it up to the trigger wire and disconnect it from the original ALWAYS ON spot and simply connect there. It works. No problems and simple to install.

I just hated the ae's on all the time and the fact sometimes they would stick on. Esp if the lady were driving the car I would not want the dreaded "YOU F***ING CAR WONT START!!!" HAHA

Happy modding my friends! :roundel

Thank you X 1000000000!!! This is what I have been DYING TO DO!!! I hate having my AE's on during the day when I don't have ANY other lights on. I was searching but never able to find a way or where to tap into to do this.

Heading out to the garage now to do this!! big thumbs up to you for this!

TRELO
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Thank you X 1000000000!!! This is what I have been DYING TO DO!!! I hate having my AE's on during the day when I don't have ANY other lights on. I was searching but never able to find a way or where to tap into to do this.

Heading out to the garage now to do this!! big thumbs up to you for this!

Schhhhwwwweeeeeeeetttt!! Always glad to help!

Let me know how this turns out for ya!

Opa iPhone

TRELO
05-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Like it! Can you post a pic of your AEs on w/the 6K fogs? That's what I'm about to buy.

Once it gets dark out I will!

Opa iPhone

az3579
05-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Another option, if you do want the AEs on at all times (as running lights or when pressing the buttons on the remote) is to wire it to the passenger side footwell light. So, every time you press a button on your remote (except for trunk), they would come on, and would be on whenever the car or ignition is on as well. They do turn off with the interior lights.

Every once in a while, they would stay on for an extended amount of time after the car was locked, but then would eventually after about 5 or so minutes turn off, which is perfectly fine. I think this is what you experienced, TRELO. I think if you would have waited a few minutes, they would have went off eventually.

TRELO
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Another option, if you do want the AEs on at all times (as running lights or when pressing the buttons on the remote) is to wire it to the passenger side footwell light. So, every time you press a button on your remote (except for trunk), they would come on, and would be on whenever the car or ignition is on as well. They do turn off with the interior lights.

Every once in a while, they would stay on for an extended amount of time after the car was locked, but then would eventually after about 5 or so minutes turn off, which is perfectly fine. I think this is what you experienced, TRELO. I think if you would have waited a few minutes, they would have went off eventually.

I didn't want them as running lights. And yes I know after awhile eventually they would turn off. But how fun is worrying that they will?

I like them on w fogs only and headlights at night.

Opa iPhone

az3579
05-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I didn't want them as running lights.

That's cool, just sharing that tidbit in case anyone else might be interested. Looking at the title of this thread, I thought you wanted us to post the different ways it could be wired up? Sorry if I misunderstood.

And yes I know after awhile eventually they would turn off. But how fun is worrying that they will?

I put that worry to rest when I once waited for them to turn off and they did after a few minutes. I waited again the next time they did it and they were off as well after a while, so from then on I never worried about it. I 'trust' my car. Plus, I think it shuts off the electronics after 16 or so minutes to prevent draining of the battery, and since these are hooked up to the passenger side footwell lights, I knew the power would get killed eventually, so I never had to worry about a dead battery. :)

danewilson77
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Well done Trelo.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Crestwood1001
05-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I was checking out Nike001's car about a week ago and he showed me how he had his wired up to the light in the glove box so they are on all the time. I was saying how id like to do that, but put a switch inline so that if I dont want them on all the time you can override it. I was thinking a very simple small black switch tucked in somewhere you cant see it just as an override.

Johnmadd
05-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Will a harness like this make the job easier/cleaner?
http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/bmw-angel-eye-harness.html