PDA

View Full Version : BMW Windshield replacement

Jorge86
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
My car has a couple of cracks which can be repaired at no charge thru my insurance. The insurance called safelite, they came out to my house and said that my windshield has been repaired before, and that they recommend a new one after more that 3 cracks. I wanted a new one anyways. I have a 100 dollars deductible.
Has anyone replaced their windshield and would an aftermarket one would be okay or should I try to get a BMW windshield?

az3579
05-17-2011, 07:06 PM
My car has a couple of cracks which can be repaired at no charge thru my insurance. The insurance called safelite, they came out to my house and said that my windshield has been repaired before, and that they recommend a new one after more that 3 cracks. I wanted a new one anyways. I have a 100 dollars deductible.
Has anyone replaced their windshield and would an aftermarket one would be okay or should I try to get a BMW windshield?

Do you have the rain sensor? I think you do, in which case, I would go with a BMW one. I think aftermarket wreaks havoc with it. I've read a couple of stories...

danewilson77
05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I was quoted about $600 for Pilkington glass installed at indy. BMW glass is of much better quality than aftermarket imho.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Stu
05-17-2011, 08:46 PM
+1, demand OEM glass, even if the insurance company tries to make you get aftermarket. Make sure it is BMW glass when you get it. Also, make sure Safelite actually installs the glass properly, I have heard of them doing inferior jobs. Nothing would be more obnoxious than finding out you lost sound insulation because they installed the glass improperly.

I've had them replace a corner glass once on a different car, they did an excellent job. Very fast, too.

Also, make SURE the rain sensor (if you have one) is attached from the factory. They will get bubbles and all sorts of shit in it if they install it afterwards.

Jorge86
05-17-2011, 09:06 PM
I actually don't have a rain sensor. I am going to ask my insurance how much of a difference I have to pay to get a BMW windshield.

spencers
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Get Sekurit or Pilkington

And make doubly certain they use OEM moulding

johnrando
05-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Safelite just did mine. $300+ for non BMW, $600+ for BMW. My heart said OEM, my wallet chose non-OEM. Works fine, looks fine. I haven't had a chance to use the wipers yet. If it makes you feel any better, they did ask about rain-sensors, etc before they ordered the glass. John

az3579
05-18-2011, 08:44 AM
My experience with their non-OEM brand is that it pits far too easily. In about a year's time, you'll have just as much pitting on your glass as your 5-6-7- or 8-year-old OEM glass. Personally, I will never choose aftermarket glass again.

aurelius
05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
I replaced the windshield on my former E46 ('01 ZSP sedan) with rain sensor. BMW dealer wanted $1200. Ended up paying $400 using OE BMW glass. Installer came to me, which is key because the car must not move until the adhesive dries.

As for the prices quoted above, that was in 2004. Your results may vary but I bet dealer pricing is still at least double that of a good independent installer.

Jorge86
05-18-2011, 11:25 AM
They said that I get lifetime warranty and that if i don't like it later on they can see what other options there are. I think I'm going non oem. Hopefully everything goes well.

johnrando
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Hope so. Mine came with lifetime warranty (not really sure what that means), and of course, all the "equal to" standards claims, blah blah blah. It looks fine, just like the OEM one but it doesn't say BMW. We'll see x years down the road.

az3579
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Hope so. Mine came with lifetime warranty (not really sure what that means), and of course, all the "equal to" standards claims, blah blah blah. It looks fine, just like the OEM one but it doesn't say BMW. We'll see x years down the road.

What is your experience on the pitting? How long have you had it? Is visibility good as far as pitting goes?

Crickett
05-18-2011, 11:44 AM
+1 for BMW glass. I had mine replaced after the star-shaped crack (that Safelite previously repaired) cracked to nearly the whole height of the windshield. My deductible was $500 & I insisted on OEM glass. They had to approve it, but apparently it ended up being cheaper (or at least close) than aftermarket. :dunno

johnrando
05-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I've only had my new windshield a few weeks, so no idea on pitting, etc. My insurance also said they could consider approving OEM, but I have a $1000 deductible so it was all moot, I was paying for it all myself. Definitely thinking of reducing that deductible.

Whitexi
05-20-2011, 07:40 AM
I have a aftermarket currently that is being replaced tomorrow for a crack. Been in there for 3 years now. It did have some pits but not serious. I have read that the oem glass is to soft and pits much faster, I know my cousins E46 at 5 years or so was oem glass and extreamly pitted. I chose the aftermarket again and its completely free under my insurance.

Jorge86
05-20-2011, 09:01 AM
I choose aftermarket. It was just installed yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I am going to overhaul my cooling system soon and it's just too much money to upgrade to oem and overhaul the cooling system including radiator. I hope it all works out.

danewilson77
05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Copy...sounds good J. Good data on the oem shield....I thought it was beefier not softer.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Whitexi
05-21-2011, 03:59 AM
My windshield is being installed right now. The tech seemed cool went over the car with me so we shall see.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 07:14 AM
My windshield is being installed right now. The tech seemed cool went over the car with me so we shall see.

Keep us filled in on the process brutha.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Whitexi
05-22-2011, 06:00 PM
So here is the deal, the tech seemed like a knowledgeable guy but there were some less than ok issues from the last installer plus one issue they did.

The last installer used a generic type molding. I did not know this but the guy that went over my car with me on sat told me that was wrong. I always wondered why water would run inside if the window was open and now i know. They installed the correct molding and if your wondering it looks like the molding on the back window.

Because the wrong molding was used last time, over time it messed up the paint on where it over lapped. Really annoying as its noticeable to me and im sure anyone else that sees it but whats done is done.

They have to lay the glue on so thick I can kinda see it on the inside, that is annoying but was told there's not much you can do since that's the process. The rain sensor lens was on the glass prior to install but that has a few small bubbles.

The verdict is the sensor works the car doesn't leak and im just gonna leave well enough alone because nothing ever seems to go great for me and I just don't get my hopes up so that way I don't get let down. I think I just notice everything so that really doesn't help either but It was 100% free thru my insurance so i guess if I had to pay that be a different story. That's my 2 cents

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I am paying $300 on Tuesday, and will keep all that you have said in mind. Thanks for the info.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Whitexi
05-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes lol keep an eye out.

I mean it is warranted thru my insurance company for as long as I own the car. So that's for leaks, stress cracks etc. Seems like a crap shoot either you get it perfect or you don't. I plan to get new A pillars so that's why I didn't get to flustered but I expected the stated aftermath anyway.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes lol keep an eye out.

I mean it is warranted thru my insurance company for as long as I own the car. So that's for leaks, stress cracks etc. Seems like a crap shoot either you get it perfect or you don't. I plan to get new A pillars so that's why I didn't get to flustered but I expected the stated aftermath anyway.

Ummm...missed the part about the a pillars. What was the issue here? Should I pull mine off before they remove/install?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

Whitexi
05-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Well when they lay the glue down and push the window the glue spreads out. That's what I meant by I can see it since it has come beyond the cover. Its not running down the cover but it is touching the edge not a lot but like a small bead.. I would say yes probably pull them if you have nice pillars but mine are shot and I was gonna get new ones anyway.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Ok...yeah...mine are in supe shape...oone is brand new. I will pull it.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

johnrando
05-23-2011, 05:52 AM
My installer warned me about the cowl. When removing the original windshield he has to use a tool to separate it from the car, and this damages the cowl. Mine was in need of replacing so it wasn't a big deal, but there are a few nicks in it now. Normally no one would notice it but WE do. A couple of pics, don't have a close up of the cowl.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/bmwwindshield1.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/bmwwindshield2.jpg

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 06:01 AM
So....should I also remove the cowl first?

Or...are you talking about the dash?

johnrando
05-23-2011, 06:17 AM
DW, actually not a bad idea to remove the cowl. The dash was fine. The pic looks a little scary, but no issues with the dash.

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 06:26 AM
getting cold feet...hehe. I need a new shield though. I mean really. $300 is a good price. I'm gonna pull A pillars, cowl, and give him a copy of the instructions. Not much more I can do...except pray.

This is going down Wednesday. Then...off to the body shop Friday....

Where were the instructions? I thought they were in this thread?

kayger12
05-23-2011, 07:21 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2987-Official-BMW-instructions-for-E46-windshield-replacement-%28PDF-inside%29

johnrando
05-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Keith, how did you download it, mine isn't working?

kayger12
05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
You have to leave the screen up for about 45 seconds before the free upload box pops up. It will appear right below the orange Premium box iirc.

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 07:57 AM
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2987-Official-BMW-instructions-for-E46-windshield-replacement-%28PDF-inside%29

Thanks broseph.

Stu
05-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I found out that OEM glass is cheaper than aftermarket. Weird. But i am glad to be getting it with the rain sensor pre installed, all off of Geico's dime :D

Whitexi
05-23-2011, 09:10 AM
I didn't watch I couldn't do it lol. I kept hearing a bench grinder and noise a few times so I would run up and look then but it was another guy away from my car doing something. Im sure the glue wouldn't be noticeable if I had black pillars the gray doesn't help but it was good overall.

I never even asked about the oem glass because I heard the aftermarket was harder. I may go for it next time if that ever happens but let's hope not. I know the total my insurance payed for a glass with the rain sensor was $475.

knevor
06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I need to do this as well, still can not decide if I want to stick with OEM or not.

johnrando
06-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I went with non-OEM due to cost, but I did hear OEM was "softer". It specs the same, certainly looks exactly the same but it doesn't say "BMW".

danewilson77
06-28-2011, 06:10 PM
I went with non-OEM due to cost, but I did hear OEM was "softer". It specs the same, certainly looks exactly the same but it doesn't say "BMW".

I have non oem as well.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

quikryptonite
02-25-2015, 09:24 AM
I just got two more rock chips this morning. With these two latest additions my windshield looks like it's been hit with flak. Looks like if I can't get these two fixed with chip repair service I'll have to decide OEM or not...

BADCLOWN
02-25-2015, 12:29 PM
mine has ONE chip maybe 3-4 inches above the cowl on the drivers side. its just one but its annoying.

in KY they have an insurance stipulation where if you pay a $50 deductible, they will replace the windshield for that $50.

back when I had my 2003 VW 20th Anniv Imola GTI the windshield got cracked and a SPECIFICALLY requested an OEM windshield from VW. Surprisingly, they obliged and a windshield repair company picked it up at the dealer, came to MY house, and replaced it. I need to try that out again on the ZHP if it gets any worse.

its definitely a life saver.

quikryptonite
02-25-2015, 05:39 PM
I got my chips repaired today and I was talking to the tech about replacement glass. He said he can get a Pilkington windshield that is an OE fit without the BMW logo on it for significantly less than a "BMW" windshield. He mentioned that he can get the BMW moulding as well. So that sounds like a good option when the time comes to get a whole new windshield.

cakM3
02-25-2015, 06:05 PM
I got my chips repaired today and I was talking to the tech about replacement glass. He said he can get a Pilkington windshield that is an OE fit without the BMW logo on it for significantly less than a "BMW" windshield. He mentioned that he can get the BMW moulding as well. So that sounds like a good option when the time comes to get a whole new windshield.

Sounds good to me :thumbsup

KevinC
02-25-2015, 08:35 PM
back when I had my 2003 VW 20th Anniv Imola GTI the windshield got cracked and a SPECIFICALLY requested an OEM windshield from VW. Surprisingly, they obliged and a windshield repair company picked it up at the dealer, came to MY house, and replaced it. I need to try that out again on the ZHP if it gets any worse.

I still have what appears to be the original windshield on my ZHP. A couple of years ago I had to have the Z4MC windshield replaced. Was able to get State Farm to spring for OEM glass. Had a bit of a chat with the glass company owner, he explained that BMW OE glass is quite inexpensive, and that the prices are all over the map for other makes. Toyota/Lexus, in particular, was a huge ripoff - like $2k for OEM glass (!!). A ZHP windshield, at full retail at the local parts counter, was just north of $400 last time I checked. Insanely reasonable. And that's before any BMWCCA or other various discounts. At pricing like this, I'd definitely go OEM.

I used to have a GTI 337 edition, the precursor to your 20th. And a bunch of them before that, dating back to the original in late '82. Eyeballing the Golf R right now, though I've got no room in the garage for another car, and don't want to part with either that I have.

BADCLOWN
02-26-2015, 09:02 AM
I used to have a GTI 337 edition, the precursor to your 20th. And a bunch of them before that, dating back to the original in late '82. Eyeballing the Golf R right now, though I've got no room in the garage for another car, and don't want to part with either that I have.

the 337 was a great car as well. i had a TON of volkswagens prior to jumping over to BMWs: 83 Rabbit GTI, 84 Rabbit L 4dr, 91 GTI 8v, 95 GTI VR6, 96 Jetta 8v, 96 Harlequin #14, 98 GTI VR6 StgIII SC, 2003 GTI 20th Anniv, and I'm probably missing a few in there. had my fun run with them but have lost my tastes for the newer cars.

Vas
02-26-2015, 10:13 AM
I will be getting a Pilkington windshield in the spring installed with a new cowl.

danewilson77
02-26-2015, 02:48 PM
I will be getting a Pilkington windshield in the spring installed with a new cowl.
Mmmm....fresh.

"No flamesuit required"

ELCID86
02-26-2015, 04:16 PM

On my list too.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Vas
02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
On my list too.

Hoping we can do it together.

ELCID86
02-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Sounds good!

derbo
02-26-2015, 08:46 PM
My old windshield guy recommends getting pilkington OEM glass and always always get OE moulding from BMW.

ELCID86
02-27-2015, 04:08 PM
My old windshield guy recommends getting pilkington OEM glass and always always get OE moulding from BMW.

Good idea on the molding (and cowl if needed).

Vas
02-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Part number for moulding?

ELCID86
02-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Part number for moulding?

It appears to be p/n 51318196162 http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Exterior/Window/ES93134/

Lower Cowl is p/n 51718208483 and also is available with the right and left "linings" as p/n 51718208483 (same p/n). I'd need to look at those two parts to see if they need updating.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/ES129793/
or
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/ES2083242/

gregolas
04-18-2015, 08:24 AM

I worked for a BMW dealer and my buddy is still the Master Tech there. He says the same thing about going with OEM glass because of the rain sensor issues. I don't have much choice here since WA rain is a constant and I utilize my wipers 9 months out of the year.

Edit: Had a lug nut blast my windshield a couple weeks ago so I will be doing this in the near future. Good call on replacing the cowl, etc at the same time.

ELCID86
05-24-2015, 09:16 AM
Saw this on e46f. Good to know Safelite is crap but can provide OEM glass. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1076946