PDA

View Full Version : Window rattle clanking etc? Anyone else get this?

Whitexi
05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
So lets say I crack my window open about a quarter of the way or half way. I go over bumps and hear a rattle, clanking type sound. Extremely annoying and it seems like the windows loose b asically but if I move the window up a bit and mess with it the noise stops. :scratchinghead

It drives me crazy and is embarrassing when I have people in the car lol. So has anyone fixed this.

Mtnman
05-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Question. Have you taken your window/door apart recently?
My noise was when the window was rolled down, and you closed the door with the window down, it sounded like it was loose and going to shatter when the door closed. It was a simple fix. Pull the door panel off and tighten the nut that holds the window to the track. Lets see if I have a pic. well, this pic sucks. but it will be located here with the window rolled halfway down. This would be the location for the rear one. The front one will be exposed easily.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i398/booneflyfisher/DSC_0075-1.jpg

If you dont know how to get there, follow this. All you need to do is removed the panel and tighten the nuts in the orange clips that hold the window. Dont worry about removing much of anything. just peel the insulation up form the bottom, and tighten those suckers and put it back. Hope this helps. If it is only confusing , pm me. The link that follows is my regulator zip tie fix. Just use it for resource. You dont need to follow it all to get to what you need.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1388-BMW-E46-window-regulator-zip-tie-fix

Whitexi
05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
That actually may be it, it does rattle when I close the door forgot to mention that lol. Sounds like something is falling apart but ye I did have the panel off before when I changed a speaker. Ill check it out today after work I hope that's it because it doesn't sound solid.

Kudos
05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
I have a similar problem ,but i will also be actually loosening the window and then raising it, because when the doors are closed the window goes up that 1/8", i can still slip a business card through the crack on the drivers side. on the passenger side i cannot and it does cause a slight amount of wind noise at highway speeds that i wanna fix.

What do you recommend to use to seal the doors again so that they are sound proof again??

kayger12
05-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a similar problem ,but i will also be actually loosening the window and then raising it, because when the doors are closed the window goes up that 1/8", i can still slip a business card through the crack on the drivers side. on the passenger side i cannot and it does cause a slight amount of wind noise at highway speeds that i wanna fix.

What do you recommend to use to seal the doors again so that they are sound proof again??

Kudos- for your drivers side window, roll it all the way down and then all the way up and hold the switch in the up position for 20 seconds.

That will re-calibrate the window and she'll close up nice and tight for you.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Kudos
05-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Kayger, i tried it with the car fully on. I tried with both door open and closed, didn't do anything at all :( Is there some specific procedure for this other than what you described? can you give me a source?

kayger12
05-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Kayger, i tried it with the car fully on. I tried with both door open and closed, didn't do anything at all :( Is there some specific procedure for this other than what you described? can you give me a source?

Standby. I'll fire up the laptop and dig.

Iirc, I got the info from Nathancarter on BF.c.

kayger12
05-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Can't find the original post, but I confirmed with mine as follows:

Door closed. To calibrate retraction, hold window button down for at least 20 seconds after window has finished downward travel. To calibrate up, hold window button up for at least 20 seconds after window has finished upward travel.

Also found a thread while searching that described how to adjust the glass manually here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=562143

Edit: Found it here http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260452&highlight=coupe+window+gap

Whitexi
05-21-2011, 04:33 AM
So did the window reset thing work?

Im going to take apart the door panel and try and re snug the bolts today after I get out of the glass shop. Ill post back if that was the fix.

Kudos
05-21-2011, 05:41 AM
I tried the window reset no go on that. Mine seems like it just sits lower physically so i'll have to loosen use some of the pics and raise the glass. from what i understand it has 2 points to raise at front and rear so that will have to be done.

kayger12
05-21-2011, 05:56 AM
I tried the window reset no go on that. Mine seems like it just sits lower physically so i'll have to loosen use some of the pics and raise the glass. from what i understand it has 2 points to raise at front and rear so that will have to be done.

Sucks. Take some pics while you're in there and hook us up with a home grown diy if you have time.

Kudos
05-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Will do. Probably will happen on Monday since we have the day off from work. Detail and fix shit on car and then drink day

winning on my evo 4g

CTYankee
10-25-2015, 03:51 AM
Just wanted to leave a note here to say thanks. Mtnman's post and description was just what the doctor ordered. When I closed my drivers side door it sounded like the window was going to shatter. It was driving me nuts and reallly sounded like the car was falling apart. After taking the panel off, I discoverred that one of the four primary mounting points for the window was missing its nut. I found it down inside the door, fished it out and was back in business in under 40 minutes. Kudos to this forum and thanks to mtman for the kick ass post.

For those with an 06, there are five hex nuts holding the door panel on. Three exposed, and one under the plastic airbag plug and another under a small round button inside the handle to Open the door.

danewilson77
10-26-2015, 06:05 AM
Win. Love hearing stories like this.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

justinwilson77
10-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Kind of going off this post, when I roll my driver side window down, about 1/4 of the way down theres a scrape and the a pop, same thing about 3/4 of the way down. It happens in both spots everytime I roll the window up and down. I have never heard this noise before. Any ideas?

ELCID86
10-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Kind of going off this post, when I roll my driver side window down, about 1/4 of the way down theres a scrape and the a pop, same thing about 3/4 of the way down. It happens in both spots everytime I roll the window up and down. I have never heard this noice before. Any ideas?

Stop using it and buy/install a regulator ASAP. Drive up to Stafford if you need assistance.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

justinwilson77
10-27-2015, 06:36 AM
Stop using it and buy/install a regulator ASAP. Drive up to Stafford if you need assistance.

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

I'm gonna be up in OH this weekend doing the VANOS rebuild with the old man himself so I might have him take a look while I'm doing that.

:shift

ELCID86
10-27-2015, 11:12 AM
I'm gonna be up in OH this weekend doing the VANOS rebuild with the old man himself so I might have him take a look while I'm doing that.

Good call! Finishing BOLC?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

danewilson77
10-27-2015, 12:29 PM

I thought you just replaced this regulator?

justinwilson77
10-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I thought you just replaced this regulator?

That is correct. :dunno

danewilson77
10-27-2015, 01:14 PM
That is correct. :dunno
Something isn't tight then.

ELCID86
10-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Something isn't tight then.

+1 loose nut?

Thumbs, iPhone, TaT.

danewilson77
10-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Yeah....we'll look at it this weekend and report.

papa_g
09-17-2021, 07:22 PM
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i think I am having this issue. I get this only on my driver's side in my coupe, and regardless of whether the window is up or down (maybe worse when it is down). Do you guys think requires the same fix?