PDA

View Full Version : Went for a spirited country drive and got a DSC,ABS and BRAKE light in return :(

Dean
05-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Well title says all, spirited drive in the twisties and then all of the sudden all three lights illuminate on the dash. I tried pressing DSC and holding, thinking Maybe it would clear it. I was wrong. :( I believe it is one of the wheel sensors..anyone else have this issue? Made me sad.

kayger12
05-21-2011, 02:52 AM
See if you can get the codes pulled.

Certainly sounds like a wheel speed sensor.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Whitexi
05-21-2011, 04:42 AM
This happened on my cousins E46, I would say get the codes first but you could try disconnecting the battery and seeing if that will reset it.

I did this on my cousins car and it never came back on. When you reconnect the battery the lights will all be on still and once you start to drive the car they reset. It has to relearn the sensors I guess. Its worth a try.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Will an actron OBDII code reader, read ABS codes? Anyone know?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

TRELO
05-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Will an actron OBDII code reader, read ABS codes? Anyone know?

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

It may if the engine computer also has stored the code. Usually with an ABS code the engine computer will pick it up for a speed sensor.

If you cant get near a scanner and have an ohm meter do it the old school way and spin and read - see if you find a dead one.

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Roger. I drove it all day....nothing abnormal..........

Ima read tonight to see if something is stored as well.

Dean
05-21-2011, 08:43 AM
It may if the engine computer also has stored the code. Usually with an ABS code the engine computer will pick it up for a speed sensor.

If you cant get near a scanner and have an ohm meter do it the old school way and spin and read - see if you find a dead one.

Didn't even think of that. I will def ve whipping out the ohm meter.

TRELO
05-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Didn't even think of that. I will def ve whipping out the ohm meter.

Just spin each wheel. The it should read instantly. If not bad sensor. Or could be reading all the time.

Opa iPhone

Dean
05-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Drove it this morning and they all went away....now I can't troubleshoot!

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Drove it this morning and they all went away....now I can't troubleshoot!

Code may still be stored however.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

TRELO
05-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Steering angle sensor!

Opa iPhone

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Steering angle sensor!

Opa iPhone

Possible....but what causes this?

TRELO
05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
I've had a few e46s come through with that code. Would go away but return. The angle sensor like speed sensors goes out or just needs to be recalibrated. could have been the fun through the twistys !!

Opa iPhone

Dean
05-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I've had a few e46s come through with that code. Would go away but return. The angle sensor like speed sensors goes out or just needs to be recalibrated. could have been the fun through the twistys !!

Opa iPhone

Truuuee! How would I go about re calibrating? I wonder if it is in my bentley manual. I'l have to take a look. Steering angle makes sense. Considering I was doing a fair amount of them in rapid succession :).

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Truuuee! How would I go about re calibrating? I wonder if it is in my bentley manual. I'l have to take a look. Steering angle makes sense. Considering I was doing a fair amount of them in rapid succession :).

Subscribed for answer.

EDIT: This is all I found from a quick search.

You have to have it calibrated through the GT1 or Autologic. It is supposed to be included in any alignment service(we do) If not I would push and say that its an integral part of any PROPER alignment.

More

The DSC system has yaw sensors and a steering angle sensor so it can determine if the car is traveling in the driver's intended direction... and if not, can intervene by braking a specific wheel and/or slowing down the engine.
A bad wheel speed sensor is the #1 cause for the DSC/Brake lights being on. Steering angle sensor is #2. An independent BMW mechanic/dealer can read the codes and tell you which... or you could go through the process of testing your wheel speed sensors yourself (instructions in the wiki).

But then I see....

The calibration procedure is turning the wheel to the left then turning it to the right.

TRELO
05-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Ya you'll need a factory style tool to accomplish this. Takes srsly 23 seconds...

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 12:32 PM
"A factory style tool"?

TRELO
05-23-2011, 08:04 AM
"You have to have it calibrated through the GT1 or Autologic. "

danewilson77
05-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Roger.