PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Colorchip or: How I learned to Stop Worring and Not Hate the Idiot who tried to Fix my Chips

ryankokesh
05-21-2011, 07:46 PM
So, the PO of my car apparently fancied himself a jackson polluck and decided to fix the rock chips (that he presumably made while drafting a salt truck) by sloping on tons of touch-up paint anywhere he pleased. While this is an exaggeration, it was bad, as demonstrated below:

Exhibit A:
http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/chips_before.jpg

Turns out, Dr. Colorchip is freaking awesome stuff. Not only does it do what I bought it for - making respectable repairs to chips and scratches. It apparently also takes off excess touch-up paint that's been dry for years!

Exhibit B:
http://www.ryankokesh.com/images/bmwmafia/chips_after.jpg

There were tons more of these things, I just didn't have the patience to document all of it. All I did was put some of the pink stuff on a q-tip and rub really hard for quite a while. Eventually the paint came right off! A lot of the chips look just like they would if you had used Dr. Colorchip to start with, so I'm completely done with those. The rest of them I have to finish up tomorrow :)

Yet another win for the good dr...

danewilson77
05-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Great news. Winning.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

spencers
05-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Need to order some of this stuff!

M0nk3y
05-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Awesome!

Can Dr.Color chip be used to fill tiny scratches?

I've been able to wetsand most, but I don't want to go any deeper

Johnmadd
05-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Nice new sig pic, actually its awesome. Have you washed your paint off?

Hornung418
05-21-2011, 09:20 PM
LOL love the Kubric reference, Ryan ;)

johnrando
05-21-2011, 09:52 PM
That's it, I'm buying the stuff now. Have a glob of touch up paint right on the top of my driver's side door - see it every time I get in the car. Hope it works! Thanks for posting that info.

Go Horns!
05-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Awesome!

Can Dr.Color chip be used to fill tiny scratches?

I've been able to wetsand most, but I don't want to go any deeper

When I used it on my Tahoe, I filled in some scratches and you need to know where they are to find them. The Tahoe was a metallic paint and I think it makes a difference. The imola red ZHP chips did not have the same outstanding results as the Tahoe.