PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifter Thread (SSK)

bcleaver
05-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Kicking around picking up a short shift kit. What do you guys run? I did some searching on here and found one thread discussing the B&M shift kit as pretty quality. Other research has lead me to the UUC setup, although it's pretty expensive.

Looking for some feedback from guys that have them installed or driven a car with one on it.

Oh, and why we're on the topic, anyone running aftermarket knobs they love?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I ran a UUC evo3 SSK on my 335. Loved it. Nice, short throws. If I was modifying my ZHP, I would definitely have that SSK on my car.

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Ecs has three options. UUC, ECS, and one other I think.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

JohnnyGraphic
05-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I also have the UUC SSK. It is definitely an improvement. Takes out the slop in the shift linkage. It will require a little more effort at first, but soon everything loosens up and the action is nice and slick. IIRC, you need to also get the DSSR which adds to the cost.

For something that you will be using a hundred times a day (o.k., I exaggerated), it's worth it to buy the best you can afford.

Here is a nice link to UUC's site which explains the differences between stock and UUC's unit.

I am using the weighted ZHP knob. (My original knob broke and when I ordered the new one, it was heavier although they looked identical).

Johnny

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Doesn't this require a tranny drop? How hard is this to diy.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

M0nk3y
05-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Has anyone tried a Z3/Z4M Bent knob?

bullfrogs_M3
05-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I have the BMW OEM Performance SSK. Very very happy with it. It is very subtle and not as aggressive as the other kits from Rogue or UUC. I have driven UUC kit and it is very aggressive.

I really enjoy the smooth shorter shifts of the OEM Performance SSK. Just my opinion

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 05:58 PM
You can see where Shane (Euro Auto Spot) was at when he installed the UUC SSK:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/IMG_7175.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/IMG_7176.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/marcussandiego/IMG_7174.jpg

static667
05-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I picked up a BMW Performance ssk from jlevi streetwerks for $200. It came with the shifter, a new knob, a replacement carrier bushing, a new "bitch clip", and an alcantara boot.

The install wasn't too bad. I was lucky enough to have access to a lift. No transmission drop was needed. I did, however release the rear transmission mount to free up some space to work. The worst part was the clip that holds the carrier to the transmission.

Its a real nice unit. OEM performance and quality.

Sent using Tapatalk on my rooted Droid. Wut?

JohnnyGraphic
05-22-2011, 09:53 PM
I had mine installed by a local independent, Edge Motorworks in Dublin, CA. They're a bunch of serious motorheads and work on BMW's & Mini's exclusively. Most of them track their cars too and are very passionate about the car. I had UUC transmission mounts put in at the same time too.

Johnny

spencers
05-23-2011, 08:24 AM
I picked up a BMW Performance ssk from jlevi streetwerks for $200. It came with the shifter, a new knob, a replacement carrier bushing, a new "bitch clip", and an alcantara boot.

The install wasn't too bad. I was lucky enough to have access to a lift. No transmission drop was needed. I did, however release the rear transmission mount to free up some space to work. The worst part was the clip that holds the carrier to the transmission.

Its a real nice unit. OEM performance and quality.

Got any before & after pictures showing the height difference?

ZHP-FTW
05-23-2011, 01:13 PM
I also have the UUC Evo ssk and DSSR installed. I have to say it was a pretty big difference in throws and linkage play. But it feels so nice with the tight shifts now. I also installed UUC tranny mounts, SS clutch line, and did my clutch at the same time.

static667
05-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Got any before & after pictures showing the height difference?

I'll post some after pics tomorrow. I don't have any photos of how it was before, though. I'll put a ruler next to it in the photo so you can have something to reference by.

bcleaver
05-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Anyone running the B&M shifter or Rogue that they could comment on?

iZHP
05-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I have the Rogue...I like it a lot. Tight/short throw and little linkage play