PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at Color Correction

bullfrogs_M3
05-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Tried to do a little correction myself this weekend on a test section of the trunk:

Wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Clean and Gloss
Meguiar's 105 with Purple Wool Pad (actually did this twice)
Menzerna SIP (83) with Orange Pad
Menzerna SF (106FA) with white pad (here was the problem though. I guess I ordered up the Meguiars cutting pads instead of a foam white pad. So after I put it on and ran it, I actually saw further micro scratches from this pad. arghhh... oh well, learning as I go. Just ordered up the right "white" pads).
Menzerna Powerlock Polymer Sealant with microfiber pad then let it haze up and buffed out.

Obviously there is still quite a bit that I need to do/learn. I don't know if I used enough product or too much or just not the right speed on the pads. There are still some swirls that I think can come out from the area that I did my test on. But all in all, I am very happy with the results for a "newb".

http://gallery.me.com/jeremiahconnelly/100015/P1010302/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/jeremiahconnelly/100015/P1010299/web.jpg

http://gallery.me.com/jeremiahconnelly/100015/P1010304/web.jpg

M0nk3y
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Looks good! You can really tell you added alot of depth and gloss to your paint, which is certainly a good thing and it will only improve!

My first time with my PC the results were similar. I was scared to push it too far (but after learning about how safe the PC is...you become more comfortable).

Some Tips:
1. You should be leaving alittle film of polish behind the pad as you pass with it..there should be excess polish being left behind the pad (that will eventually be polished as you go back over it). This is a good sign to make sure you have enough polish.

2. If you're using a PC...crank it up to 6 and leave it there. I usually tone it down to 4 or 5 for bumpers, but everywhere else use 6.

bullfrogs_M3
05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info!!!! I set the P/C 7424 at 4.5 for that section. The bottles said 4 -5 so I figured the middle at 4.5 to be safe. But if I can get away with setting it at 6 then i'll just use that.

There was film left on each pass, but it started to dry on the second part of the pass. I used a left to right, then back (right to left) then back (left to right) then switched to an up to down and back (down to up), etc... until it was all covered. I don't know if that is the right way to do it but thats what the instructions on the P/C said to do. So at the end it was kinda like a checkerboard type of coverage. But I wasn't sure if I needed to add more product or leave it with just whatever I originally loaded it with.

M0nk3y
05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the info!!!! I set the P/C 7424 at 4.5 for that section. The bottles said 4 -5 so I figured the middle at 4.5 to be safe. But if I can get away with setting it at 6 then i'll just use that.

There was film left on each pass, but it started to dry on the second part of the pass. I used a left to right, then back (right to left) then back (left to right) then switched to an up to down and back (down to up), etc... until it was all covered. I don't know if that is the right way to do it but thats what the instructions on the P/C said to do. So at the end it was kinda like a checkerboard type of coverage. But I wasn't sure if I needed to add more product or leave it with just whatever I originally loaded it with.

You have the right technique down. Did you prime the pads at all.

My Priming, I mean spraying the pads down with 2-3 sprays of water, quick detailer or similar. If not, this could explain why it was drying out (and probably why it was dusting as well if it did).

Worst case, if this happens, stop polishing and re-spray the pad once and go back at it.

M105 is a non-diminishing polish...so if you spray the pad down with QD and work that same area (without adding or removing any more polish), you achieve some serious cut and finishing power. Search Kevin Brown Method....there is a ton of information on it and it works wonders.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/121926-kevin-brown-method-cliff-note-version.html

JohnnyGraphic
05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I'd say you did a very good job! There are some swirl marks and scratches that can only be fixed by sanding-only for the brave at heart and with the right tools, time and patience.

I do like those wheels!!! Nice. What size? BBS CH? What suspension are you running? (Sorry for the OT).

Johnny

Marcus-SanDiego
05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Johnny:

18x8.5 Wheels (BBS CH)
235/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

JohnnyGraphic
05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks! See! I told you guys I was a sucker for BBS wheels on a BMW!

Back on topic-I plan a full on wash/clay/polish-polish-polish/sealant this coming Memorial Day weekend. I am also going to give the Optimum Omni-Coat a try.

Johnny

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Priming the pads is a great tip. Thanks Kyle. Didn't get this in any previous reads or advice.

Looks great bully.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

M0nk3y
05-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Priming the pads is a great is a great tip. Thanks Kyle. Didn't get this in any previous reads or advice.

Looks great bully.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

My bad, I swore I mentioned it to you...Sorry.

Sometimes there is just too much info for me to even remember and type out. My apologizes

danewilson77
05-22-2011, 06:13 PM
My bad, I swore I mentioned it to you...Sorry.

Sometimes there is just too much info for me to even remember and type out. My apologizes

No worries.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

bullfrogs_M3
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Hey Johnny, the wheels are what Marcus said, BBS CH's. The suspension is Function and Form F2 (by autolife).

Dane, thanks :)

Monkey(haa i really need to know your name), thanks for the info on the priming the pad. I didn't know about that at all. I put some chemical guys primer on my shipping. Can't wait to hit the car again this weekend :P It's a freakin addiction now. I MUST HAVE GREAT PAINT!!! lol

kayger12
05-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Priming the pads is a great tip. Thanks Kyle. Didn't get this in any previous reads or advice.

Looks great bully.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

+1-- definitely a good tip for next time. I experienced a little drying/dusting and just assumed I was using too little product for the area I was doing.

Yet another reason why I love this place.

M0nk3y
05-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Dusting can be caused by the weather (usually high humidity), but I always blame it on dry pads...and that's usually the case.

It's Kyle BTW

JohnnyGraphic
05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Johnny, the wheels are what Marcus said, BBS CH's. The suspension is Function and Form F2 (by autolife).

Thanks!

You just need a little spray on the pad or it the polish will start to sling all over the place.

And yes, it definitely is an addiction. You start wanting to get more and more perfect with each detail. Unfortunately for me, it is impossible especially with a daily driver. There is only so much time and money you can spend on it!

Johnny