PDA

View Full Version : Tire noise from breaking at big speed?

M0nk3y
05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Hey guys...

I haven't really paid attention to this, but im pretty sure its been like this.

Breaking when I get off on ramps...etc, I get a.ton of tire noise up front (at least I think it is).

From lower street speeds, im fine. But when it does happen its a noticeable deep wounding sound I guess. The steering wheel is fine, tire pressures are ok as well.

The tires are yoyo proxes. T1rs. Thoughts?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

billschusteriv
05-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Wounding sound? Is this just when you are braking from high speeds? Braking rapidly (like from highway speed to off-ramp speed)? Or braking and turning?

If it was squealing (high-pitched - almost whistle-like), I would assume brakes. Have you measured brake pads/rotors for wear? How close are they to the limits?

Looks from the pics that you may have the performance rotors - drilled? For those that have performance rotors, is this a common sound?

It may also be possible that your brake rotors haven't been turned or true'd - if you can remove the rotors, any tire/brake shop worth their salt will have a lathe that they can turn/true the rotors from both sides.

Miles since last brake job?

May also want to consider taking your wheels to an alignment/mounting/balancing shop to have them checked/inspected for damage to wheel or tire. Some tires have manufacturing defects that can cause issues.

Miles on tires?

Oli77
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I don't know if this will help, but it addresses Bill's comments above.

I have a noticeable mean growl from tires (Ventus II) when slowing down from 10-0 MPH. I know its the tires because I recently changed rotors and pads and the noise stayed exactly the same (before vs. after brake job).

Is noise when you brake or when you let go of accelerator?

kayger12
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Sounds like the tires-- exacerbated by the weight transfer to the front suspension under harder braking.

The ventus tires on my 325i produced a similar effect.

billschusteriv
05-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't know if this will help, but it addresses Bill's comments above.

I have a noticeable mean growl from tires (Ventus II) when slowing down from 10-0 MPH. I know its the tires because I recently changed rotors and pads and the noise stayed exactly the same (before vs. after brake job).

Is noise when you brake or when you let go of accelerator?

Sounds like the tires-- exacerbated by the weight transfer to the front suspension under harder braking.

The ventus tires on my 325i produced a similar effect.

Ahh... thanks for the additional data. I was thinking in another direction.

Haven't seen this with my V4s... will be good to remember this when I put V4s/V12s on my 17's later.

M0nk3y
05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Fronts have been replaced before I bought the car. I forget what mileage.

The tires are new on all 4 corners.

From the local forum, it seems like the drilled rotors produce this type of sound. The noise only occurs when I brake...so that makes sense.

You're not suppose to cut BMW rotors...for that matter BMW CSL rotors.

danewilson77
05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I vote tread pattern..to add to what Keith said.