PDA

View Full Version : Dust Thread

bullfrogs_M3
05-24-2011, 03:19 PM
A day or two after a wash, the car tends to get at least a little dirty. Usually a fine layer of dust.

What is the preferred method of dealing with dust between washes?

kayger12
05-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Bought a California Duster after a few members suggested it.

Works very well.

Have read some concerns that it can swirl your paint if you're heavy handed with it.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

static667
05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I don't have the option to use one of those. I live on a well traveled gravel road. Not to mention close to the beach. Sand and gravel dust make for awesome swirl marks.

mimalmo
05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Wash it.

bullfrogs_M3
05-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Wash it.

lulz after only two days? haaa thats hardcore brother

mimalmo
05-24-2011, 03:52 PM
I've done it before. Seriously though, I usually wash it on the weekend (Friday or Saturday) and if it happens to get dirty during the week - oh well.

zhpnsnv
05-24-2011, 04:18 PM
I ignore until it's wash time. To me, the impending swirls are not worth the extra time without the dust. I have a California duster. Rarely use it, if ever.

danewilson77
05-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Swirls (like rock chips and scrapes) give the ZHP character. Pffft. Who wants a perfectly clean car?

static667
05-24-2011, 05:12 PM
I have enough scratches and chips....I don't want any more.

M0nk3y
05-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I have enough scratches and chips....I don't want any more.

Lol.

If you really want, you can go the ONR route. But at that point...I would just re-wash

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Washburn
05-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Wouldn't a good quick detailer+quick wax work for light dust and such?

I am about to get my ZHP fully detailed for the 1st time (got a 50% off coupon from a reputable place), and I don't have a garage, so I can't wax/wash very often.
After I get it detailed (professionally), I plan to keep it in its newly acquired clean state (or as close as I can get to it) by using ONR occasionally, but a quick detailer/quick spray on wax combo (haven't decided which ones yet) more often.

As of now, I might get it pro-detailed 2x a year (and maintain as described above with ONR and quick detailer/quick wax in between full details) until we move to a place with a garage and I can detail/wash more often by myself.

does that sound like a logical plan for the meantime.?

rikdee
05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah, that's a reasonable plan. It gets ever more difficult to simply dust as the car is driven after washings. Eventually, it must be once again bathed. Rain is the real enemy to a clean car; once exposed, only a wash makes sense to me. I have maintained appearance for days on end by merely dusting as long as no rain was in play. Slick, waxed paintwork keeps most fallout from really sticking (if dusted regulary). I tend to concentrate my efforts on horizontal surfaces. But, it will slowly gather a slight oily film, dusting nothwithstanding. At that point, its wash time. I use brand new microfiber wash mitts to dust, pretty much like a Cal/Duster.

billschusteriv
05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Bought a California Duster after a few members suggested it.

Works very well.

Have read some concerns that it can swirl your paint if you're heavy handed with it.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

^ This.

Dane has one and let me borrow to use on my e30. My paint on the e30 is a little tired... so the threat of swirls didn't really concern me at the time.

I'd ask DW if he has noticed any swirls... he's also got a good layer of high quality wax on his car....

danewilson77
05-25-2011, 12:48 PM
I love it. Really. No sheeet.

az3579
05-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Swirls (like rock chips and scrapes) give the ZHP character. Pffft. Who wants a perfectly clean car?

Umm, Monk3y does. Who else strips the wax and reapplies it every 2 weeks? lol

danewilson77
05-26-2011, 03:21 AM

Yeah...he is an extreme detailer. Much respect. I just don't have the time for that..hehe.

Droid + Tapatalk = FTW!

TRELO
05-26-2011, 03:24 AM
I wash about 4-5 times a week. Clay and wax as needed

Opa iPhone

billschusteriv
05-26-2011, 05:21 AM
Wow.

Washburn
05-26-2011, 07:30 AM
That much washing might actually be even harmful to the finish, don't you think? (I am not an expert, just wondering based on some 'expert' opinions I have read)

M0nk3y
05-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Lol...call me the weird guy.

You can.wash your.car like that....but you just need to use the right techniques.( aka 2 bucket method) and change out your Mitt more often.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

TRELO
05-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I have my own mitt I use for the car. Soap has wax in it also. Never contaminate upper and lower panels and no degreasers or heavy cleaners. Ive done this to every car I've owned and they are always as clean as the day I got them...or actually cleaner.

Plus I have the ease of doing this indoors in my hand car wash- so I can blow out all crevices and things to ensure no water left behind.

I have an image to upkeep come on! Can't own a car wash and have a dirty black car

billschusteriv
05-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I have my own mitt I use for the car. Soap has wax in it also. Never contaminate upper and lower panels and no degreasers or heavy cleaners. Ive done this to every car I've owned and they are always as clean as the day I got them...or actually cleaner.

Plus I have the ease of doing this indoors in my hand car wash- so I can blow out all crevices and things to ensure no water left behind.

I have an image to upkeep come on! Can't own a car wash and have a dirty black car

Would you mind revealing your secrets? If no soap/degreasers, what do you use? What mitt?

johnrando
05-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Late to thread, but lots of dust near the beach here, so I have the California Duster. Works just fine, no swirl or scratch issues with the CA duster.

TRELO
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Would you mind revealing your secrets? If no soap/degreasers, what do you use? What mitt?

I never said no soap. We use a soap sprayer. Gets just the right amount of soap and water on the car. Just no degreaser on wheels or paint

Opa iPhone

Marcus-SanDiego
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM

^^^ can't argue with that :biggrin

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

M0nk3y
05-26-2011, 02:26 PM
I never said no soap. We use a soap sprayer. Gets just the right amount of soap and water on the car. Just no degreaser on wheels or paint

Opa iPhone

APC+ FTW :)

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 10:51 AM
J......What did you end up deciding here?

bullfrogs_M3
08-24-2011, 11:25 AM
?? What you bumping all my old ish threads? lol

Just wash the car every week. Especially with the monsoon season in full effect in Phoenix. This week when I left the ride at the airport, I parked in the covered parking garage and put the car cover on it. Yea, I gotta pay a little more in parking for the covered but whatever, keeps me from having to do a massive detail each week.

danewilson77
08-24-2011, 12:13 PM
?? What you bumping all my old ish threads? lol

Just wash the car every week. Especially with the monsoon season in full effect in Phoenix. This week when I left the ride at the airport, I parked in the covered parking garage and put the car cover on it. Yea, I gotta pay a little more in parking for the covered but whatever, keeps me from having to do a massive detail each week.

OK.....was just wondering. Thanks