PDA

View Full Version : DIY - How to load up NCSEXPERT

VA//M3
05-26-2011, 10:21 PM
This is an attempt at writing a comprehensive guide on how to correctly load up NCSEXPERT. With time it should be fairly complete but for now a rough draft should get most everyone started.

You will need (INSTALL FIRST) EDIABAS 6.4.3 and EDIABAS 6.4.7 (RUN THE SETUP.EXE UNDER PROGRAM INSTALLATION FIRST, REBOOT THEN RUN REFERENZE/INSTALL/INSTPROG.EXE AND UPGRADE) installed on your machine.

and V40 e46 progman files found here E46.zip (http://www.4shared.com/file/9K30LSeb/E46.html)
I would also recommend to use any of the included profiles to read modules and exclusively use revtors profile (ATTACHED) (or make your own) to do any coding. Once you are comfortable coding modules you can run revtors profile exclusively for both read and write.

To install the profile copy the .pfl into NCSEXPER/PFL folder or EC-APPS/NCSEXPER/PFL

Once, you have downloaded the V40 files mount the iso using DAEMON tools. Then browse to the daten folder. Inside it you will find LADEN.bat. Run it and choose yes on all the prompts.

This effectively updates NCSexpert files to prevent CHASSIS is faulty and VIN is faulty errors.

RANDOM TIDBITS:

Use repxet as the password under file/edit profile to create your own profile.

TROUBLESHOOTING

COAPI-1020: can not open file for reading
C:\NCEXPER\WORK\FSW_PSW.MAN

Fix: open up notepad, choose save as, name the file FSW_PSW.MAN and drop in the path shown above or your WORK folder. (MAKE SURE IT'S NOT SAVED AS A .TXT file)

Additionally, I've attached a copy of NCS with all the above steps shown above. Simply delete or rename your C:\NCSEXPER folder and extract the zip in its place.

Should work error free but as always if any come up please let me know!

NCSEXPER_E46V40LOADED (http://www.4shared.com/file/mUjMKiJ-/NCSEXPER_e46V40loaded.html)

password is e46

spencers
05-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Nice! I've always wondered how to get rid of that stupid "Chassis is Faulty" error.

danewilson77
05-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the writeup VA!

VA//M3
05-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the writeup VA!

no prob! ummm,

MODS; Would i get in trouble if I created a thread uploaded and attached all of the BMW software?

Marcus-SanDiego
05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
no prob! ummm,

MODS; Would i get in trouble if I created a thread uploaded and attached all of the BMW software?

Only if it's copyrighted code. If it is, then don't do it.

iPad. Tapatalk. Bi-winning.

VA//M3
07-23-2011, 11:27 PM
i tried to upload a copy of NCSEXPERT with the latest E46 V40 files copied in the right place. But can't attach it since its 1.2 mb in size and the forum won't let me attach it.... :( Can we somehow up it to 1.5MB?

Marcus-SanDiego
07-24-2011, 07:58 AM
What kind of file is it?

VA//M3
07-24-2011, 10:55 AM
What kind of file is it?

.zip. It contains the entire NCSEXPER Folder with updated e46 chassis files; tested to work and 100 error free.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Cool. Thanks. Just needed to know which file size to adjust.

VA//M3
07-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Could you make it a max of 2mb for zips? just to give us some headroom?

Marcus-SanDiego
07-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Sure.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Let me know if you can upload it now.

az3579
07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
As far as I know, NCSExpert is not free software. FYI.
I do not see any place to buy it. It might not even be available to the general public, other than through file sharing places...

Just don't want y'all to get in trouble with the law...

VA//M3
07-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Let me know if you can upload it now.

Just did. Thanks!

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 06:06 AM
As far as I know, NCSExpert is not free software. FYI.
I do not see any place to buy it. It might not even be available to the general public, other than through file sharing places...

Just don't want y'all to get in trouble with the law...

Interesting. Did not know that.

VA//M3
07-25-2011, 06:29 AM
Interesting. Did not know that.

It's useless on its own. It's just legacy software that BMW no longer uses and doesn't care about 3rd parties getting a hold of it.

Now if this were a how to build a ISIS, ISTA/P thread with downloads that would be a different story.

az3579
07-25-2011, 08:11 AM
It's useless on its own. It's just legacy software that BMW no longer uses and doesn't care about 3rd parties getting a hold of it.

Now if this were a how to build a ISIS, ISTA/P thread with downloads that would be a different story.

Do you think that would be enough to not get in trouble? Proprietary would be the key word, I would guess...
I always thought companies cared a lot about proprietary software regardless of whether it's used or not. ???

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 08:19 AM
If there is a copyright on the software (and there is; we're giving away intellectual property that BMW has a right to sell), then there is a copyright violation. Whether BMW does anything about it is another question. My guess is that it never would. However, I have a longstanding rule on the forum: no copyright violations.

VA, do me a favor: host the zip files and other copyrighted material elsewhere. You can leave this thread up and just point to a site that hosts the software. I didn't know this was BMW's software. I was under the mistaken impression that it was something else that did not run afoul the US copyright laws.

Thanks, guys.

M3TA5IN
07-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Good write up, I'm still trying to get the time to set ncs and everything.

az3579
07-25-2011, 09:56 AM
I didn't know this was BMW's software.

I'm just assuming; don't just go by what I'm saying ... lol
I haven't seen NCS Expert used in any other application than BMW's, which is why I drew that conclusion.

VA, any insight on this?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Someone owns the software -- that much we know. It has a copyright (the moment it's affixed to a tangible medium). Therefore, we're infringing someone's copyright, even if we don't know who holds it.

I didn't give it much thought earlier (wasn't paying much attention). Now that I've thought about it, it would be best for us to simply host it elsewhere.

VA//M3
07-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm just assuming; don't just go by what I'm saying ... lol
I haven't seen NCS Expert used in any other application than BMW's, which is why I drew that conclusion.

VA, any insight on this?

NSCexpert is a program that is part of EDIABAS which can also be used in Bently and MINI applications. I'm tempted to give BMW of NA a call about EDIABAS and it's use. to settle this straight once and for all.

VA//M3
07-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Someone owns the software -- that much we know. It has a copyright (the moment it's affixed to a tangible medium). Therefore, we're infringing someone's copyright, even if we don't know who holds it.

I didn't give it much thought earlier (wasn't paying much attention). Now that I've thought about it, it would be best for us to simply host it elsewhere.

very well. I'll still leave revtors profile as that is free and you're free to donate and distribute when credit is given.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Excellent. Thanks, sir.

Marcus-SanDiego
07-25-2011, 11:39 AM
NSCexpert is a program that is part of EDIABAS which can also be used in Bently and MINI applications. I'm tempted to give BMW of NA a call about EDIABAS and it's use. to settle this straight once and for all.

Feel free to do that. I'd be curious to see what they say.

az3579
07-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Feel free to do that. I'd be curious to see what they say.

+1

VA//M3
07-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Has anyone tried to use the upload?

az3579
07-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Has anyone tried to use the upload?

Did you upload it? Didn't see a post with it.

VA//M3
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, I appended it to the first post on the thread

http://oi53.tinypic.com/11gk7kp.jpg

johnrando
07-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Could you let me know what OS we need and what type of laptop (a min config or something powerful. I have an extra netbook available, PC based). Also, what cable do we use to connect the laptop to the car? Finally, is it via the same port we attached the OBD readers too? Sorry, I'm very new to programing a car via a PC.

az3579
07-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Could you let me know what OS we need and what type of laptop (a min config or something powerful. I have an extra netbook available, PC based). Also, what cable do we use to connect the laptop to the car? Finally, is it via the same port we attached the OBD readers too? Sorry, I'm very new to programing a car via a PC.

All answered here (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1808-How-to-set-up-a-BMW-Diagnostic-Computer).