PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this -- Sprint Booster - Drive-by-Wire Module

pyreguy
11-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Has anyone here had any experience with the Sprint Booster - Drive-by-Wire Module? (https://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SPRINTBOOSTER) Is it worth the money and really makes a NIGHT AND DAY difference, or is it a waste of money?

danewilson77
11-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Its bullshit.

Don't put that on your car.

zhp43867
11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
+1 Freakin one, it's a joke. I've heard it makes the last 25% of your gas pedal virtually useless (redundant).

fwiw I am not planning on getting software soon but the E46 M3 guys rave about ESS software (it is available for our cars too). I'd do that if I was every going to shell out the dough.

pyreguy
11-29-2010, 07:08 PM
That's the impression I got as well. Just wanted more validation about it. I will definitely pass.

danewilson77
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
+1 Freakin one, it's a joke. I've heard it makes the last 25% of your gas pedal virtually useless (redundant).

fwiw I am not planning on getting software soon but the E46 M3 guys rave about ESS software (it is available for our cars too). I'd do that if I was every going to shell out the dough.

What's the ess software do?

pyreguy
11-29-2010, 07:58 PM
This (http://www.esstuning.com/products/MS45-M54B30-ECU-Tuning-Software.html) or this (http://www.esstuning.com/products/MS43-M54B30-%22ZHP%22-ECU-Tuning-Software.html).

It's pretty similar to the Shark Injector in theory.

I have my eye on their twin screw supercharger for when I have a ton of extra money to blow one day LOL *dreaming*

zhp43867
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
The ESS software is supposed to greatly improve the DBW throttle on all 325 and 330 E46s which definitely has some room for improvement. I probably would not buy it unless I bought headers or cams- something that really benefits from having software.

I have long avoided getting software. This was for two reasons.
1) I generally HATE what software companies do with throttle mapping. My friend has the Conforti shark software on his M5, and in my opinion (and his) it has completely ruined the drivability of the car. I hate sport mode with a passion and anything that makes the car behave more like its in sport mode will never touch my car.
2) I didn't feel there was any real gains to be had from it.

Fast forward 100,000 miles into my car's life. I installed headers and, after a couple weeks the post cat O2 CEL came on. I was hoping it wouldn't, with the recent emissions recall... but it did... So I began the research process.

Eventually I landed on ESS, largely because, from what they told me, their software would make the throttle less touchy rather than more. If I'm honest I didn't really believe them 100% (because everyone seems to feel the need to make the car feel faster by making the throttle mapping more aggressive) but I had to get something so I took the leap... and I've very pleased I did.

1) Throttle mapping is perfect. This is NOT sport mode, all the time, like my friend's 39 with shark. The car still drives predictably and smoothly. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say the throttle mapping is better than stock-- something I never foresaw.

2) The tune is specific to your setup. Options include headers/not, what octane you'll be running, cams you're running, what you want the redline set to (from 8000 to 9000). In my case, I set the car up for euro headers, 93 octane, stock cams, 8000rpm redline.

3) Top speed limiter removed

4) car can now be dynoed without any tricks

5) They actually remap the VANOS. Not everyone does.

I could not be more pleased with how this turned out. I will be dynoing the car in the next few weeks, as well as running a stock M3, but I have to say that the car actually does feel noticeably faster. Where it really stands out is in the mid range pull-- 3600-7400rpm feel much torquier than stock. It could be the butt dyno, but I really don't think it is (and I had another forum member with a stock M3 drive the car-- he felt the same way). The car runs flawlessly and the throttle is completely smooth/controllable. I can't imagine any way I could be happier with the way this software turned out. I love it!!

Lastly, in case anyone was wondering, turn around was quick-- the sent the ECU back out the day after they got it. Minimal downtime ftw :)

Oh, and the price is $500 for anyone wondering.

Thread will be updated with dyno and mexico race as I get them...

They were able to get more than 10hp out of just software on an E46 M3, seen here:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=339596&highlight=ess

Sorry for the long post, OP don't kill me. :o

pyreguy
11-30-2010, 02:09 AM
I have had good experiences with software upgrades in the past. In my GTI I got the APR State 1 flash on my otherwise stock car and the difference was extreme. As I upgraded parts, I upgraded the software to correspond. Having a turbo probably made the gains more noticeable because I was able to increase the boost dramatically too.
I am curious to see how the Shark Injector works for me. If I am not pleased, there are always other options and I can look into them. Including checking out the ESS stuff. There were several companies that specialize in software for GTI's and they all go about doing what they do in very different ways. Sometimes you have to try them out for yourself until you find one that makes your right foot the happiest.

Its all about the journey.

zhp43867
11-30-2010, 03:31 AM
I agree, however N/A motors for BMW are historically very well tuned since the late 1990s, a chip will not get you what it does on the VW/Audi 1.8/2.0T motors. It is more about the tuners adding there personal touch to the cars mapping, and the software can help when additional modifications are added.

FWIW the shark injector is supposed to make the throttle response punchier- it seems to be a love/hate thing.

jjcools
11-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I have an Audi and the software makes a much bigger difference due to boost increases. I know the NA Audis don't benefit as much, similar to the BMW increases I think.

pyreguy
11-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah it was the same with the VR6's vs. the 1.8T GTI's. The VR6 didn't gain a whole lot. Having said that, I can't wait to see what it does for me. I don't know if I will like it or not, but it's worth a shot I suppose. I will let everyone know what I experience.

johnrando
02-10-2017, 02:39 PM
TMS shows that there is now new version of the Sprint Booster called V3, which is way more customizable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk